Default Tabletop Adventures - guild/static group

Hello there Argo people!

With some pals we have set up a small guild, what is only a static group at the moment. We, amongst others, would like to somewhat return to the spirit of dnd and make DDO a bit more challenging. For this, we created a ruleset, what you can read below. Of course if any of you are interested, Nimleth, our guild leader is open to new recruits, but I also post this information here for documentation purposes.

So far our agreed timing is that we go dungeon dwelling between 10-12 pm GMT ~ 4-6 pm central (CDT). We plan to do this several days a week, of course only if everyone is available.

We have the following characters:

Nimleth - Level 4 Cleric - Epic loot: perma FF boots (da luck!) (1 death)
    Hessel - We will have a reroll of our second character, from ranger/rogue, to a mechanic pure rogue to be on the safe side with traps. He will start at level 4 with veteran status to keep up with us. (1 death)
    Artist - Level 4 Paladin/Sorcerer - Epic loot: perma FF ring (Nim pulled this too! Da double luck!) (2 deaths)
    Inkey - Level 4 Rogue - Our 4th character is a new guy, we are looking forward to play with him.
    Tilvin - Level 4 Fighter/paladin - Our newest members, we already had a couple adventures together. (2 deaths)

Contacts in game: Nimleth (guild leader and HR manager), Artist (PR assistant)

I also got around posting into the general static group forums too:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...d-static-group

Cogdoc
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 06-09-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Default Basic rules

Our guild/static group runs abiding the following ruleset:

0 - Quests can only be run on elite difficulty, maintaining bravery streak rules, meaning that no character can be higher level than the base level of the quest + 2.
    1 - Usage of AH is prohibited in all ways.
    2 - You can only buy spell components, thief tools, ammunition and basic gear from NPC vendors. You cannot purchase wands, scrolls, potions or other magic items.
    3 - You cannot transfer any items or money from any other characters you have to your character in the static group. You also cant trade with players not in your static group.
    4 - You cannot spend TP or astral shards to help yourself in any way.
    5 - You cannot use rest or resurrection shrines in quests.
    6 - You can only use loot what you have found in quests or end rewards.
    7 - You cannot use airship buffs.
    8 - With each level gained, you can equip/use a +1 magic item. Masterwork items are not considered to be magic items
    9 - You can store found magic items in your bank for later levels or for switching out between quests, but on your character you cannot have but the maximum allowed magic items at any given time.
    10 - Death is not permanent, but if you die, you cannot continue the adventure unless you are properly resurrected, shrines are still not useable.
    11 - Allowed races: Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling.
    12 - Allowed classes: Cleric, Paladin, Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, Ranger.
    13 - The daily roll cannot be used.
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 06-03-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Default Detailed rules on items

1 - Maximum enhancement level of magic items you can equip and carry in your backpack cannot exceed your character level. For example a level 2 fighter can have a +2 sword equipped. Or a +1 full plate and a +1 sword.
    2 - If you find a named item without an enhancement level, and want to equip it, this is treated as a relic, a gift from the gods, and it will only count as a +1 item, even if the item itself would be much stronger.
    3 - Stat raising items can only be used if it is raising a key stat for that character. Each character can only have one key ability, like WIS for cleric, DEX for rogue, STR for fighter.
    3 - You can store found items in the bank of your character for use in further levels, or to switch out between dungeons. This is part of the preparation what characters do before going on an adventure.
    4 - Magic items what you find during the adventure can be used freely, even immediately after found.
    5 - You can carry additional gear with you, what you can switch with your current equipment as the situation needs it. This counts towards you maximum allowed magic item quota. Be very careful not to exceed the maximum allowed equipped magic items when entering a dungeon.
    6 - Loot found inside the dungeon doesnt count towards the magic item quota until you are in the adventure.
    7 - Items can be traded between party members, but only if they were together on the adventure where the item was found. Basic rule is if you could have traded while it was still in the chest, you can trade it afterwards. This trade must happen in or immediately after the adventure though, so that we dont loose track of who was where. Quest preparation cycle is: quest - trade - sell - stock up - quest
    8 - Bags are allowed, and you can make items for yourself with cannith crafting, with the exception of runestones. You can only use collectable turn ins to gain augments, no potions or wands can be gained this way. Quivers are allowed.
    9 - Eternal wands are not allowed.
    10 - Potions, wands and scrolls are useable, if you have found them in a quest, but you cannot buy them from NPC vendors. They dont count towards the magic item quota.
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 06-04-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Default Exceptions from the magic items rule

These don’t count when calculating max allowed magic items:

1 - Korthos sets and the water breathing ring are available to all classes with a magic item cost of +0, this is considered to be starter equipment.
    2 - Rogues can use items for the following skills: spot, search, disable device, but only if this is the only enhancement on the item. Thieves tools count as consumables, any type can be used without counting in to the magic item limit.
    3 - Any character can use a fortification item, if that is the only enhancement on the item.
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 05-27-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Default Detailed rules on character creation and development

1 - Multiclassing is allowed, you can pick any class from the list of allowed classes above. Maximum of two classes can be mixed this way.
    2 - You can distribute your ability points however you like. All in game enhancements, prestige classes, feats and skills are allowed.
    3 - You can not LR or GR to respec your character. You can exchange feats with Fred, and retrain your enhancements keeping the usual 3 day limit what the game itself imposes.
    4 - You can still accumulate xp after reaching enough to level up, so that you can keep sync with other party members. Parties should ideally level together.
    5 - UMD is available for equipment or consumable usage, abiding all the rules above.
    6 - Tomes you find can be freely used, but only key stats can be raised with tomes.
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 05-27-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Default Detailed rules on executing adventures

1 - Quests can only be run on elite difficulty, maintaining bravery streak rules, meaning that no character can be higher level than the base level of the quest + 2.
    2 - Shrines cannot be used.
    3 - You can break breakables, open all chests you can, and complete any optional objectives you wish.
    4 - Reentering a quest is not allowed in any form. Should you die, with noone able to resurrect you, the adventure must be either continued without you, or it must be reset. If the party decides to continue, you can stay in as a ghost to receive the xp for the quest, and continue to level together with the party.
    5 - You can not recall from an incomplete adventure. You can flee out of the entrance if the option is there, or die a heroic death and release out to a tavern.
    6 - Platinum bought hirelings are allowed to fill the group, but if they die in the quest, they must be dismissed, and cannot be summoned again during that adventure. The level of the hirelings must be at least 2 level lower than the PCs in the group. Also hirelings can only fill a group up to 5 characters.
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 06-04-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Default Reserved for future use

---

Default Another reserved for future use

Ok, after this you can post now...

Community Member

Yes if your interested send me a message in game either on Nimleth or Niminin.

After playing a few sessions with this ruleset its reminded me how DDO was in the early days when a +1 sword was an awesome weapon and even the harbor quests were a challenge.

Community Member

I find this really interesting except the times don't work for me at all.I was wondering. Why is paladin not allowed?Old style D&D was so different. I still remember the first time I got a +1 sword. Boy was it a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Serrilis View Post
    I find this really interesting except the times don't work for me at all.I was wondering. Why is paladin not allowed?Old style D&D was so different. I still remember the first time I got a +1 sword. Boy was it a big deal.
    Oy!

That is definitely a typo, as in fact we have a paladin already! Thank you for pointing it out, I ll change that in a sec.

And yeah, you can imagine how much our cleric was overjoyed when he has pulled a feather falling boots from a level 2 quests chest. Epic loot that is, nothing less!

Just out of interest which timezone are you in, so that our timing doesnt fit your gaming ours?

Cogdoc

Community Member

Nice! Good luck.
    Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogdoc View Post
    Oy!That is definitely a typo, as in fact we have a paladin already! Thank you for pointing it out, I ll change that in a sec.And yeah, you can imagine how much our cleric was overjoyed when he has pulled a feather falling boots from a level 2 quests chest. Epic loot that is, nothing less!Just out of interest which timezone are you in, so that our timing doesnt fit your gaming ours?Cogdoc
    That would be a huge deal! I'm in Central but between work and family that just doesn't work at all. During the week I don't have much time to play at all and on weekends late afternoon/early evening is so often filled with family stuff I can't make regular commitments. I'm your classic casual gamer due to RL. I wish you luck though! Keep us posted how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Nice! Good luck.
    Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you.
    Hey Intruder!

So nice of you to stop by! I must admit that besides our love for DnD, and our aim to return to the feeling of tabletop games while playing DDO, your thread has inspired me a lot too!

The two rules, for example, where you can use rogue items and fortification items, I have taken outright from your ruleset, as when we finally got down defining our rules, I remembered your thread, and read your rules again. I was like, hey these guys might have more experience in this, so lets learn from them... If you have any comments about our ruleset, please do drop us a note about it!

I planned to post a short introduction into the general static group thread about our guild too, hopefully I ll soon have the time to do that.

Regarding timezones, its the tough part. The initial crew we started with have members from US central and EU, so we tried to find something what works for all of us, and thats what we could come up with: afternoon in US, midnightish in EU. On the other hand, all of us are a bit crazy and play off hours quite often, so I can also imagine timing of early morning in EU, late night in US, or anything else really, what would fit everyone.

Cogdoc
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 06-04-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serrilis View Post
    That would be a huge deal! I'm in Central but between work and family that just doesn't work at all. During the week I don't have much time to play at all and on weekends late afternoon/early evening is so often filled with family stuff I can't make regular commitments. I'm your classic casual gamer due to RL. I wish you luck though! Keep us posted how it goes.
    Thank you for your encouraging words Serrilis!

We are in the same shoes btw, family and work always gets in the way... But what we have been doing so far is that at the end of every session (we just started out mind you so that would mean 3 sessions so far), we agree on the time for the next one, if its a day off or two days off due to any IRL reason, thats no biggie.

Also we are not like planning to TR in a week, especially not with this style of dungeon dwelling. We take it slow, break every barrel, chat while we run together, sometimes I chat more than fight myself.

Cogdoc

Default Sessions 1-5

During our first session we have done the korthos village quests, and some island as well.

2dn session saw us through korthos, where we had our first player death, when a couple of spiders ambushed us in Miserys peak. We also started harbor questing.

In our 3rd session, we have tackled quite a few harbor quests, Ringleader was plenty of loot and xp as usual, although we have had our second player death in there, as you have guessed Mister Ogre pummeled his head very well....

On our 4th session a new member has joined us, and we have flawlessly completed durks got a secret and ringleader again.

5th session saw us venturing down to the foul chambers, where we have, in spite of our valliant efforts, died a heroic death. And we did that two times... With no trapper this evening, we have come to the conclusion that our trap dodging skills are not good enough, and turned our attention to the sunken sewer. That quest went flawlessly, if we dont count our hireling who died to the (bugged!) poison trap.
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 06-09-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Looks a little interesting but sad to see no monks which are older in dnd then sorcs if I had time I would like to try to get involved but working on my masters and trying to find a new job so I can quit the one I hate.

Good luck and good gaming

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Looks a little interesting but sad to see no monks which are older in dnd then sorcs if I had time I would like to try to get involved but working on my masters and trying to find a new job so I can quit the one I hate.

Good luck and good gaming
    Heya!

I am not really the one to ask about deep dnd roots and rules, Nim has more rulebooks around, but we had two reasons for leaving monks out, and only one of them was that they didnt feature in early dnd as far as we could remember.

The other - bigger - reason was, that monks, as they are implemented in DDO now, are a powerhouse of survival. One of our goals with tabletop adventures is to play DDO as original dnd would play, feeling our characters shortcomings, and trying to rely on their strength to overcome obstacles.

The way we want to achieve that is to limit gear what you can wear, monks suffer less from limited gear. Also they get built in cures, healing and an arsenal of abilities, buffs and saves(!), what make them ideal soloing characters too. Now if we would allow monks, we would negate one of the original concepts: to make ddo more challenging. At least thats how we felt.

The same reason came up with excluding artificers as well. An artificer with the dog performs just as well as a 3 or 4 man party. Trapper, ranged dps and tank in one, and thats from level 1. Later on you can safely add caster to the mix.

Cogdoc
    Last edited by Cogdoc; 06-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cogdoc View Post
    Heya!

I am not really the one to ask about deep dnd roots and rules, Nim has more rulebooks around, but we had two reasons for leaving monks out, and only one of them was that they didnt feature in early dnd as far as we could remember.

The other - bigger - reason was, that monks, as they are implemented in DDO now, are a powerhouse of survival. One of our goals with tabletop adventures is to play DDO as original dnd would play, feeling our characters shortcomings, and trying to rely on their strength to overcome obstacles.

The way we want to achieve that is to limit gear what you can wear, monks suffer less from limited gear. Also they get built in cures, healing and an arsenal of abilities, buffs and saves(!), what make them ideal soloing characters too. Now if we would allow monks, we would negate one of the original concepts: to make ddo more challenging. At least thats how we felt.

The same reason came up with excluding artificers as well. An artificer with the dog performs just as well as a 3 or 4 man party. Trapper, ranged dps and tank in one, and thats from level 1. Later on you can safely add caster to the mix.

Cogdoc

Yah ddo monks are extremely powerful as to their history they are one of the oldest classes around first appearing in 1975 in the blackmoor supplement and then in 78 in 1st edition AD&D they were left out of 2nd Ed as to artificers yah at low level they are extremely powerful even leaving out the dog.

I wish you luck and even with your restrictions I wish I had the time as it does sound fun

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE