Default Bladeforged Paladin: How to Build?

I really want to build a bladeforged. I tried the pregen version just to play around with it a bit. I wanted to test how some things work out. I know the bladeforged isn't truly complete until the next enhancement pass comes out, but I want some advice on how to build a DPS/off-tank paladin bladeforged. I have very little experience with the paladin class. After reading some guides, I am thinking the setup for now will be like so:

Abilities
    Str 16 (10 p) +3 tome, +4 level-ups
    Dex 6 (0 p) +2 tome
    Con 18 (10 p) +3 tome
    Int 10 (2 p) +2 tome
    Wis 6 (0 p) +2 tome
    Cha 16 (10 p) +3 tome +1 level-ups

Feats
    1: Adamantine Body
    3: Toughness
    6: Power Attack
    9: Improved Critical: Slashing
    12: Cleave
    15: Great Cleave
    18: Two-Handed Fighting
    21: Overwhelming Critical
    24: Epic Toughness

Skills
    Balance 7 ranks
    Concentration 23 ranks
    Use Magic Device 11 ranks

Enhancements
    Knight of the Chalice for now, probably change when the enhancement pass comes to something more defense-oriented (20 including all pre-reqs)
    Divine Might IV (10)
    Divine Sacrifice III (6)
    Exalted Smite IV (and Extra Smite Evil IV) (20)
    Extra Lay on Hands (6)
    Warforged Healer's Friend III (6)
    Warforged Power Attack III (6)
    Weapons of Good (2)
    4 points left over for taste

Gear
    As much healing amp as possible
    Str, Con, Cha, and Wis items
    Flawless White Dragonscale Docent + Helm of the White Dragon with PRR and Resistance augments
    Weapon: ideally an ESoS, but that will take a while, if ever, to acquire. EAGA, Stormbreaker, Breach, Greataxe of the Chained Soldier, or Cleaver, plus DR-breakers as needed

So those are the basics so far. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

Only thing I'd suggest is getting the Redemption enhancement. Having the ability to Raise Dead is always useful.

Forget Knight of the Chalice. Take 2 fighter levels for the free tower shield proficiency and 2 extra feats and go Defender. You'll get more PRR, more Str, more Con, more hit points and better saves. 2 Fighter levels also gets you Haste Boost I, an extra Toughness enhancement if you desire and Fighter Str I, which is pretty nice for a splash. IMO, Defender offers you the most bang for your buck. KotC and HotD are pretty lackluster, especially for a warforged.

I just finished leveling a half-orc 2 Fighter/18 pally and I totally enjoyed it. While the DPS is not top-tier, the survivability is exceptional. Cleaves, Smites and Divine Sacrifice lets you play fighter, while Lay On Hands and blue-bar heals keep you going. I would imagine the repairs on a Bladeforged might not be as good as healing-amp boosted cures, you can probably still get some decent numbers. A Ring of Master Artifice would probably be a good item to farm for the boost to repair spellpower, as well as the extra spell points.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyputrid View Post
    Forget Knight of the Chalice. Take 2 fighter levels for the free tower shield proficiency and 2 extra feats and go Defender. You'll get more PRR, more Str, more Con, more hit points and better saves. 2 Fighter levels also gets you Haste Boost I, an extra Toughness enhancement if you desire and Fighter Str I, which is pretty nice for a splash. IMO, Defender offers you the most bang for your buck. KotC and HotD are pretty lackluster, especially for a warforged.

I just finished leveling a half-orc 2 Fighter/18 pally and I totally enjoyed it. While the DPS is not top-tier, the survivability is exceptional. Cleaves, Smites and Divine Sacrifice lets you play fighter, while Lay On Hands and blue-bar heals keep you going. I would imagine the repairs on a Bladeforged might not be as good as healing-amp boosted cures, you can probably still get some decent numbers. A Ring of Master Artifice would probably be a good item to farm for the boost to repair spellpower, as well as the extra spell points.
    lol except fighter and paladin toughness dont stack so that wont work. paladin already get 4 toughness. :P

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    lol except fighter and paladin toughness dont stack so that wont work. paladin already get 4 toughness. :P
    I just listed what 2 Fighter will get you.
    Last edited by johnnyputrid; 05-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Forget Knight of the Chalice. Take 2 fighter levels for the free tower shield proficiency and 2 extra feats and go Defender.
    Two extra feats would be nice. However tower shield proficiency is somewhat unnecessary. There is at least one endgame tower shield (Madstone Aegis) I can think of that grants the feat. So if I need to tank, I can use that. So two extra fighter feats gets me ITHF and GTHF. I'm not the most experienced pally player, but that doesn't seem worth losing the capstone (which will really give me versatility in weapon choice for bypassing DR). In fact, I am thinking of ditching THF for Improved Sunder anyway.
    You'll get more PRR, more Str, more Con, more hit points and better saves.
    More PRR, Str, and Con is attractive, but I have to be in a defensive stance, correct? That would mean losing out on WF Power Attack enhancements. Perhaps both can be used at the same time though, if so, it's a valid argument. But I don't need two fighter levels for that. I can always respec to DoS if I find that I need more defense.
    2 Fighter levels also gets you Haste Boost I, an extra Toughness enhancement if you desire and Fighter Str I, which is pretty nice for a splash.
    As has been pointed out, Fighter Toughness won't stack with Paladin Toughness so there is no point on that basis. Haste boost will be irrelevant once I am able to twist it in from LD (or if I decide to stay in LD). So I am left with Fighter Strength I, which isn't a very valuable benefit for splashing.
    IMO, Defender offers you the most bang for your buck. KotC and HotD are pretty lackluster, especially for a warforged.
    You might be correct about this. However, there are a lot of evil outsiders at endgame, especially raids like CitW, which I will be running quite a bit I imagine to get a good weapon. And again, we get back to the point that I can always respec relatively easily to DoS if I find it necessary.
    I just finished leveling a half-orc 2 Fighter/18 pally and I totally enjoyed it. While the DPS is not top-tier, the survivability is exceptional. Cleaves, Smites and Divine Sacrifice lets you play fighter, while Lay On Hands and blue-bar heals keep you going.
    My build includes both Cleave and Great Cleave, as well as smites and Divine Sacrifice. Not losing anything here.
    I would imagine the repairs on a Bladeforged might not be as good as healing-amp boosted cures, you can probably still get some decent numbers.
    I tested out the effectiveness of repair spells on a pre-gen Bladeforged just to get a feel for things and they worked pretty well. LoH was my emergency heal while repairs could be used in between fights quite well. Bladeforged also have slightly worse positive healing than typical warforged so the repairs are even more critical.
    A Ring of Master Artifice would probably be a good item to farm for the boost to repair spellpower, as well as the extra spell points.
    That sounds like an excellent idea. Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherBarry View Post
    Only thing I'd suggest is getting the Redemption enhancement. Having the ability to Raise Dead is always useful.
    I considered it, but then also realized that I could fairly easily get the UMD necessary for raise dead scrolls. I will only need a 35, which is not going to be difficult to obtain.

Community Member SteeleTrueheart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    Two extra feats would be nice. However tower shield proficiency is somewhat unnecessary. .. I can always respec to DoS if I find that I need more defense...we get back to the point that I can always respec relatively easily to DoS if I find it necessary.
    DoS requires (currently):
    Requires One of the Following: Combat Expertise, Diehard, Shield Mastery or Tower Shield Proficiency

That is why he is saying the free tower shield and 2 bonus feats from fighter is so good.

I think you can use PA with DoS, just can not rage (via spell or ability).

You could consider Quicken instead of THF, that would allow you to get rid of concentration as a skill and instead maybe add Repair (cross class) or Heal (class) to try to futureproof your build with the enhancement pass, though I am not sure 11-24% spellpower would be worth it. Otherwise intimidate/diplomacy could be useful.
    Khyber - Officer in The Stormreach Thieves Guild
    Steeles (TR 1 Paladin 20 / 8 Epic - TWF) - Steeley (Monkadin - Pal 18/Monk 2/ 8 Epic - Unarmed) - Steeltruhart (TR1 Paladin 17 - S&B Bastardsword) - Steelforged (Pal 20 / 8 Epic - SWF) - Steeltruhurt (TR1 - Pal 8 / Ftr 2 - THF) Steelsouls (Clr 17 / Pal 3 /8 Epic)

Community Member

More PRR, Str, and Con is attractive, but I have to be in a defensive stance, correct?
    Quite confused with this question, but you can ( and should ) use PA most the time in sentinel/stalwart stance.
    Sentinel/stalwart is considered defensive stance for purposes of Bulwark of defense feat too.
    Haste boost will be irrelevant once I am able to twist it in from LD (or if I decide to stay in LD)
    Trust me, you WILL wish you could have twice the fate points/twists, and haste boost is so good.
    Can't imagine having only 2 twists possible all the time.
    I tested out the effectiveness of repair spells on a pre-gen Bladeforged just to get a feel for things
    How strong is repair crit with maximize and 90 repair ? 130 - 160 ? For 41 sp
    That is absolutely not enough to keep you alive, and I don't see quicken in your feats either. How you are going to slot Torc/con opp, heal amp, repair amp ( assuming you will wear it ), sp item, repair spell power item ...
    + 20+30 amp+ hf 3 if you want anyone to heal you ever. Renewals/cocoons/scrolls/cleric auras ?
    Pursuing blue bar repair seems total trap to me, but I might be wrong of course
    So does warforged melee in current game too ...

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Here's my "Bladeforged" build:

2 Pali 18 Sorc

20 CON
    18 CHA

Air Savant SLA's, wind dance

reconstruct spell while awaiting the Enhancement SLA version.

Quicken, Max, Empower, Heighten, Evoc focus, toughness, salt to taste, might even take Khopesh proficiency, PA and a cleave with the last three, probably not though.

Gear:
    Skiver in one hand, one of two different Dynastic Falcata(s) in the other (CHA based to hit and damage, and a blue and a red Augment slot ML10) Magnetism + Combustion in Falcata #1 Glaciation + Corrosion in Falcata #2 (Reconstruction in Skiver's red slot) this also gives +15 implement bonus from either the Khopesh or Skiver take your pick). Hope Feather of the Sun does something nice to Epic Dynastic Falcata when he gets the other half of the items "augment slot update" finished and/or the talked about Epic items update. If he doesn't no biggie, I can't stand the Sands epic quests anyway and no ones doing them anymore, so I'd probably never farm the old style components to make 1 let alone two epic versions of it, and the ML10 will work just fine.

Community Member

2 Paladin, Charisma Modifier for saves and Lay on Hands
    12 Rogue, Mechanic II for Int Modifier to Damage without having to use Insightful Damage so you can use Strikes.
    6 Art, for Battle Engineer I for obvious reasons..

Max Con, then Int, then Cha

This is my Haggle Bot, but extremely useful none the less.Nice HP, Evasion and high saves, and great UMD. Any trap in game with ease...and lots of Sneak Attack damage on the repeater Shiradi will make it even more broken.
    Zaphear(Completionist), Lugziurious, Lugzmeat Shield, Lugzii, Lugziii, Lugzsing Measong - De Profundis

I went with 18pally/2fighter THF DOS III

str16/dex8/con16/int10/wis8/cha16 I believe were my starting stats for 32 pt.

feats taken: adm body, power attack, toughness, ic: slashing, thf, ithf, gthf, cleave, and will take great cleave at 18.

skill pts. I want to say concentration and balance.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I posted my BF build here; pretty similar to other folks', although I took a wiz splash for Repair I enh + metamagic (Quicken).

Why is everyone skipping WIS?
    Don't Paladins need WIS 14 to cast the highest level spells?

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    Why is everyone skipping WIS?
    Don't Paladins need WIS 14 to cast the highest level spells?
    if you start with say 8 wisdom and you get a +6 wisdom item you can then cast all the paladin spells. IE you get 14 wisdom total, not to mention tomes and such.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    if you start with say 8 wisdom and you get a +6 wisdom item you can then cast all the paladin spells. IE you get 14 wisdom total, not to mention tomes and such.
    I would imagine it takes quite a bit of time to find a +8 Wisdom item. Unless there's another toon on the server to hand one down, this paladin is going to spend a long time without being able to cast level 3/4 spells...

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

If you have a +2 WIS tome to spare, you can start base WIS 6 + 2 tome + 6 item = 14, which makes you good to go from lvl 15. Otherwise, start WIS 8 if you want to make it a little easier on yourself.

Community Member

Default UMD for BLADEFORGED = N/A

I considered it, but then also realized that I could fairly easily get the UMD necessary for raise dead scrolls. I will only need a 35, which is not going to be difficult to obtain.
    How do you figure that? UMD for the Bladeforged Paladin is not a class feat. It will take 2 (of your very few points) at each level. That means max of 10 to the UMD by lvl 20. (that is if you choose custom, if you choose to come in at 15 with the game doing it your UMD is n/a)

I am also wondering why you guys are gimping the Wis. You not only need it for the spell level but also for spell points.

The unique thing about the Bladeforged Pally VS. a regular Pally (even if WF) is the granting of the repair spell. To me this makes the BF a very self-sufficient toon who can heal himself as well as party. (it doesn't help though that the Devs forgot to make the repair manipulation enhancement actually available to put points into)

Also, coming in at lvl 15 means you can put +4 tomes on immediately. (if you can afford them of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Reymouth View Post
    How do you figure that? UMD for the Bladeforged Paladin is not a class feat. It will take 2 (of your very few points) at each level. That means max of 10 to the UMD by lvl 20. (that is if you choose custom, if you choose to come in at 15 with the game doing it your UMD is n/a)

I am also wondering why you guys are gimping the Wis. You not only need it for the spell level but also for spell points.

The unique thing about the Bladeforged Pally VS. a regular Pally (even if WF) is the granting of the repair spell. To me this makes the BF a very self-sufficient toon who can heal himself as well as party. (it doesn't help though that the Devs forgot to make the repair manipulation enhancement actually available to put points into)

Also, coming in at lvl 15 means you can put +4 tomes on immediately. (if you can afford them of course)
    wis for sp is a trap on a pally you don't get enough sp with it to make it worthwhile, you'd be better off with those points in str for faster killing, con more hp, or cha better saves.

Pallies don't have full umd but they do have higher cha which means they can umd raise scrolls pretty easily.

That said if you want a bladeforged I'd go juggernaut it's just so much better.