Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default do what you want, buty you are hurting this game.

I am not talking about Turbine or the devs. i am talking about all of you that have decided to "preorder" this expansion pack. It IS your money, but from my perspective you are reinforcing negative behavior on the part of WB/Turbine.

They started selling this "expansion" before telling us what was in it. A few days later, after a lot of sales, they said there would not be a raid. They still have not said what level the quests are.

Skill tomes and other PTW items are continually added to the DDO store for exorbitant prices ($7 for +1 UMD on one toon?).

This is only called an expansion so they can charge more money for minimal content and force VIPs to shell out cash for content. 3 levels without increasing caster levels or much else additional power (we all know power after level 20 comes form EDs, which apparently are not being expanded on.)

There are still dozens of unfixed bugs from the last expansion, over a year ago, which are not being fixed.

Buying this stuff, especially without even knowing what you are being promised, let alone what will be actually delivered, only encourages this poor behavior on the company's part.

Now, in all seriousness, will i eventually buy this pack myself? almost certainly. am i telling you what to do? no. but i am chastising you for your purchase and validation of this cynical and selfish business model, particularly as "preorder".

and before the tired, sad old argument that if ppl stop buying then the game will be sent offline is brought up, let me just point out that if we continue to validate this business model this game will die because of the sad state of its development as people go elsewhere. and we will also be validating this business model for the entire gaming industry, which helps no one.
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

Depends on the perspective view of the player. Overall, this game is loaded with a ton of bugs, but it is still my favorite MMO out there. I paid for the expansion to help support and keep turbines engines running. Without a cash inflow, this game will shut down sooner than later. And I honestly wish to keep the doors open.

I told people two and a half years ago to go premium and quit giving Turbine money until they put out quality. I guess many think that they are still getting quality, or just like supporting the cause.

If people think that the game will last another 2 or 3 years, it still may be to their advantage to go premium and not keep blindly throwing money at Turbine. Not saying you, but most will keep paying their $10/month and then complaining here that the game sucks. If people would quit buying those stupid pets maybe Turbine would start selling something we want (bank space).

I cannot say much about this though. Someone in game has already gifted me the expansion so Turbine will see me as another satisfied customer.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Meh, I am unpersuaded by your argument. I relatively happy with the state of the game. That isn't to say that it is bug free or that there are no issues I'd like to see addressed, but I am still relatively happy with it despite those issues. If I wasn't, I'd do something else. The time is more relevant to me than the money.

As to the pre-order itself, it isn't that big a deal to me that there is no raid. Raiding is DDO isn't very good anyway, there is 1, mabye 2 raids that they have release all told that I'd call good. Most are just 12 man quests. And regardless, I bought the pre-order for what it was promised to contain, things like the epic lesser tome of learning per character, the skill tomes per character, the owlbear (it amuses me more then being directly useful. But its a game, its true purpose is to amuse), the pets (my girlfriend loves those), the iconic heroes, plus the fact I'll buy the content eventually. Just like I have been happy with the preorder perks from MotU, I am happy with these. The content is almost more of a bonus. For example, if it was just the content, they could have said it'll have a dozen raids, and 90 quests, and I'd still wait to buy it - unless they gave me a perk for pre-ordering. I pre-ordered for the perks of pre-ordering, not the content.

The Hatchery

Turbine won't change, and they're in the same boat as pretty much every other MMO company ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmuel View Post
    Skill tomes and other PTW items are continually added to the DDO store for exorbitant prices ($7 for +1 UMD on one toon?).
    Skill tomes are not PTW, the bonus that they give is almost entirely unnoticeable (except in the case of UMD).

Now, in all seriousness, will i eventually buy this pack myself? almost certainly. am i telling you what to do? no. but i am chastising you for your purchase and validation of this cynical and selfish business model, particularly as "preorder".
    So you are telling us we are hurting the game by pre-ordering the expansion but then admit further along in the post that you intend to buy the content as well? Does the term hypocrite mean anything to you? If there truly is a problem as you say, you are just as guilty.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

and before the tired, sad old argument that if ppl stop buying then the game will be sent offline is brought up, let me just point out that if we continue to validate this business model this game will die because of the sad state of its development as people go elsewhere. and we will also be validating this business model for the entire gaming industry, which helps no one.
    So... we are hurting the game by buying stuff, and yet killing the game by not buying stuff? We need to send a message to Turbine, even though by your definition doing so hurts the messenger (us)? I am thinking you need to fine-tune your righteously indignant rhetoric a bit before it is ready for prime-time here on the forums.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    So you are telling us we are hurting the game by pre-ordering the expansion but then admit further along in the post that you intend to buy the content as well? Does the term hypocrite mean anything to you? If there truly is a problem as you say, you are just as guilty.
    Almost 100% sure the OP is trying to make a humorous statement in reaction to the anti-buying pack threads.

I think....

Otherwise, going by a number of statements in what he wrote - I'm pretty damned confused.
    Add Shifters as a PC race - please.

Quote Originally Posted by Huthor View Post
    Almost 100% sure the OP is trying to make a humorous statement in reaction to the anti-buying pack threads.
    Not enough indications of humor in his post so I doubt that is the case.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

I don't think Turbine is a dog... like.... if we beat turbine enough with the "no purchase" beat stick, turbine will roll over and do what we want....

I'm pretty sure Warner brothers will take the dip in profits as a sign to make even worse and more drastic money schemes and NOT better content.

OP really wants to see the shard runearm come true.

In fact, I can already see a system where you pay a monthly shard fee to "unlock" your epic items for use.

And if you don't have the shards, well.... you'll have to use rand gen gear until you get some shards.

Community Member

I pre-purchased the expansion for myself and 2 other people even though I have serious doubts about whether I will be playing the game one year from now. I thought the last expansion was good.

It's just like any other form of entertainment you buy it for the enjoyment you get now - not in the future. DDO may not even be around next year - nothing is guaranteed.

I think Turbine made a really great game, but I sincerely doubt they are well run enough to respond to any sort of crisis that comes up regarding a revenue shortfall. The more likely result is some knee-jerk reaction that has just as much chance of making things worse than better.

Any management change they make is most likely to determine whether it's better to close DDO, attempt to merge the customer base with LOTRO or sell it if they can find a buyer. A shake-up likely won't make things any better.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I think Turbine made a really great game, but I sincerely doubt they are well run enough to respond to any sort of crisis that comes up regarding a revenue shortfall. The more likely result is some knee-jerk reaction that has just as much chance of making things worse than better.

Any management change they make is most likely to determine whether it's better to close DDO, attempt to merge the customer base with LOTRO or sell it if they can find a buyer. A shake-up likely won't make things any better.

Look I am leaving when the new Oblivion MMO comes on line and leave and will not return THE HOLE NEW FORUM BOARD SUCKS and Turbine/Warner don't care thy will suck this game drie and then sell it!!!!!!!!
    The Rogues Guild - Sarlona
    How did that get in here? Hay give that back O that’s yours? Sorry
    Gordgray Gord of gray Hawk Rogues do it from behind

im happy with the game as well. sure i wished more bugs got fixed as well even the minor ones would be a start. When i preorder anything its because i want it now and the goodies. I know what i was getting into. Do i care if there is a raid or not. not really. honestly i just dont raid often. would i like to? sure. I would love to see way more raids introduced even though i dont raid often. Reason being is so there isnt just 1 or 2 you run at end game. You should have a variety to choose from. Variations of gear or weapons blah blah.

i will state this as well name one game that doesnt have bugs. I know tons of mmo's with them. Even console games.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I told people two and a half years ago to go premium and quit giving Turbine money until they put out quality. I guess many think that they are still getting quality, or just like supporting the cause.
    I dislike this "expansion" being basically only two updates rolled into one, and sold for 4x the normal cost. I'm not defending their decision here.

But Turbine does put out quality. And you think it's quality too, or you wouldn't still be here after 2.5 years. I laugh every time someone calls this game "**** chock full of bugs" and then logs back in... It's sad that some have been doing it for 2.5 years.

There's no moral high ground here. You like this game; you think it's more fun than 99% of all other games out there because you spend your time here. I don't mind you playing this game without contributing your fair share, but don't call me stupid while I pay for the servers that you enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

I love playing DDO, and I like the quality they put in, for the most part. It's one of my favorite games online. The last expansion was pretty good and I have high hopes for this one, especially with the new Iconic Heroes. To sit there and say you shouldn't pre-order the pack though, then turn around and say how you'll buy it later, is not only extremely contradicting, but hypocritical as well. Only difference between buying it now against buying it later is you get special stuff for it. Not really moved at all by the argument you've put before us.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    He admits to the hypocrisy and is being honest about supporting the bad business model. I'm not sure why you think you are discovering something here.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    I don't think Turbine is a dog... like.... if we beat turbine enough with the "no purchase" beat stick, turbine will roll over and do what we want....
    That analogy is so terrible and nonsensical I don't know how to approach it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    That analogy is so terrible and nonsensical I don't know how to approach it.
    While the analogy is a bit lacking, I get what Dyna is trying to say. You can't expect Turbine to give in and do what we want them do by threatening to not purchase their products. Only time this could actually work is if the vast majority of the players boycotted the product, which is highly unlikely. Seems to me the only way to get Turbine's attention is through a signed petition or create a thread on the forums with enough people participating to make it noticed.

I hurt this game!!!

Boy, i'm such a meanie...

Default ??

welll if i am hurting the game then id rather spend my money hurting the game then spend it on fee's and bail for hurting a person ik not the best analogy but you get my drift
    Demons run when a good man goes to war

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast