Hybrid View

Default First timer/ lifer help

I have an arti which I TR soon but I need to wait a little while so in the meantime I want to build a monk.
    I tried playing it before a couple of years back but didn't understand it so I gave up on it. Now I am back and I want to try it again.
    I tried the monk metaru v.2 build. But in the comments I read a lot that STR build isn't as good anymore and people are rather in the wind stance then sun stance. What would be an appropriate first life build for a first timer monk?
    2nd of all, how do I play it?
    Since I have VET II unlocked I started at 7 and I tried around a couple of things in lowbie quests. I had ninja spy 1 and had some earth / fire moves unlocked but I still mainly used stunning fist while I killed all, simply because using an earth strike for 4 / 8 extra damage was okish but I nearly finished them off before I even activated them. Do you start to combo only when you unlocked more ranks in a specific element? (so an earth strike combo bar, a fire strike for some other mobs etc)
    Last but not least. I want to TR this toon, but unlike my last toons I want to bring it to 25. Any endgear, or even midgame gear suggestions? Even lowbie equipment tips would be nice.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    Living in the Twilight, Under the Moon

Consult the Book of Syncletica. It is an excellent guide for building, playing, gearing and generally understanding the class.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronic View Post
    I want to build a monk. <snip>
    A while ago I started (but didn't finish) a thread covering a whole variety of different monk builds, fortunately, I did finish my monk build for beginners.

Oddly, I didn't think to put in gear, I was focused on making sure the build and enhancements were easy to follow, sorry.

For low levels - Robes of invulnerability / 3piece abishai set if you can get one. Scorching wraps are also pretty nifty, but definitely not essential.

for mid levels - garments of equilibrium / black dragon robes / frozen tunic.
    wraps = try finding something with holy, and if you're lucky you'll get vampiric stonedust wraps.
    helmet / ring / gloves = sora kell set.
    prop up your stats / saves with the rest of your gear slots as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    A while ago I started (but didn't finish) a thread covering a whole variety of different monk builds, fortunately, I did finish my monk build for beginners.

Oddly, I didn't think to put in gear, I was focused on making sure the build and enhancements were easy to follow, sorry.

For low levels - Robes of invulnerability / 3piece abishai set if you can get one. Scorching wraps are also pretty nifty, but definitely not essential.

for mid levels - garments of equilibrium / black dragon robes / frozen tunic.
    wraps = try finding something with holy, and if you're lucky you'll get vampiric stonedust wraps.
    helmet / ring / gloves = sora kell set.
    prop up your stats / saves with the rest of your gear slots as needed.
    What confuses me is the enhancements. I see poreus soul. All consuming flame etc. Yet people seem to be focues on 1 element. So why grab all of those?
    Or do people create seperate bars with stunning etc always slotted in +an elemental line.
    Lets take the Rockan Robin. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...and-philosophy
    I see the enhancements, and all stats. Which make sense to me mostly. However, I have no idea what to do with this char. Rockan chooses grandmaster of water. So I guess ill go down the water line all the time? Unless mobs are immune or so? And it seems void strike is also in there. Something for in between stunning fist and a combo? Or is it a combo in itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronic View Post
    What confuses me is the enhancements. I see poreus soul. All consuming flame etc. Yet people seem to be focues on 1 element. So why grab all of those?
    Or do people create seperate bars with stunning etc always slotted in +an elemental line.
    Lets take the Rockan Robin. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...and-philosophy
    I see the enhancements, and all stats. Which make sense to me mostly. However, I have no idea what to do with this char. Rockan chooses grandmaster of water. So I guess ill go down the water line all the time? Unless mobs are immune or so? And it seems void strike is also in there. Something for in between stunning fist and a combo? Or is it a combo in itself?
    porous soul, consuming flame etc, are pre reqs for touch of death. (touch of death is also a pre req for ninja spy II)

The elemental curses listed are also more of a party dps boosting attack rather than a personal one. Their effect causes the mob to take an extra 10% damage to that particular element, from all party members.

Most people max out two stances, Earth stance because the ki strikes granted with mountain are untyped, so they work on everything. Then another stance they like to run around in, often air, more for the attack speed and double strike, than the ki strikes.

You can use ki strikes one element whilst your in another. eg. I'm often in wind stance, but using my earth strikes, touch of despair, touch of death, improved sunder, then repeat.

You can swap your enhancements and play round with stances as you get a better feel for the class, they're not something worth worrying about too much at this stage.
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 05-27-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Ok, I get the enhancements now. Still following the rockan build and for now I think I get what to do. Since I am only lvl 7 I shouldn't worry too much about finishers, certainly not against normal mobs. So tactics would be:
    Normal mobs: Air stance, for the increased speed and doublestrike, put in some stunning fist here and there. If enemies start to resist my stunning more often, back into water stance for increased wisdom so stunning DC gets higher. Don't worry too much about combo's
    Stronger mobs: Again, air stance, back it up with void strikes for pure damage. Touch of Death here and there?
    Mobs once quivering palm is aquired: Water stance. Stunning fist, quivering palm and touch of death.
    Bosses: Air stance Improved sunder, Fist of darkness X3 for the touch of despair, followed up by touch of death. Afterwards, use correct elemental line with debuff or void strike till sunder needs to be applied again or touch of despair is again needed.

Am I correct in this? I assume other stances will be handy as well, such as fire if I need more KI, or earth if I need to tank. Also, I assume that I don't need to worry bout finishers a lot unless it's a boss :0