Community Member

Default Help: TR 3x Fighter - Monk or 2HF?

So my capped pure monk is about to TR and grind out 3x Fighter past lives for the tactics DC.

I was originally planning on doing a 9/9 Monk/Fighter split to grind that out. Dark monk to get TOD and probably a Cleric/FVS splash for the wands and scrolls.

And then, SoS appears in my 20th VoN reward list ...

Should I instead go for Fighter/Barb instead to capitalise on that?

I have all the necessary monk gear but do not have much in terms of fighter/barb gear. I have a craftbot that just hit 100.

Which will be easier to grind to 20, rinse and repeat 3 times? Suggestions? Advice?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Suhcer View Post
    So my capped pure monk is about to TR and grind out 3x Fighter past lives for the tactics DC.

I was originally planning on doing a 9/9 Monk/Fighter split to grind that out. Dark monk to get TOD and probably a Cleric/FVS splash for the wands and scrolls.

I have all the necessary monk gear but do not have much in terms of fighter/barb gear. I have a craftbot that just hit 100.

Which will be easier to grind to 20, rinse and repeat 3 times? Suggestions? Advice?
    To get to 20 I think Monk. The wisdom bonus to ac, saves galore, stunning fist, dodge, heal amp, ki strikes/finishers, speed, and 12 monk allows for splash with almost any and everything.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubbinns View Post
    To get to 20 I think Monk. The wisdom bonus to ac, saves galore, stunning fist, dodge, heal amp, ki strikes/finishers, speed, and 12 monk allows for splash with almost any and everything.
    I hear ya, I also have an Arcane Archer with a 12 (dark) monk splash and I absolutely love it. But a 12 monk build will mean I will need at least a Greater Heart +3 to get the fighter past life on the TR.

I can only afford to go 9 on any monk splash. Probably dark as the TOD will rock pretty much up to Lvl 20.

My big concern is that 9 monk doesn't give me much of any innate DR breakers. I've learnt that 2WF suffer significantly when they are not able to break DR. I've heard OTOH that 2HF can pretty much ignore most DR as it doesn't eat significantly into their total damage.

For a 3x Monk9/Fighter9 past life grind, I could craft some DR breaking wraps but am wondering if the SoS I just got represents an easy out from all this. Just slap on the SoS from Lvl 10 and not have to equip anything else much till 20?

Is that viable? If so, any build suggestions? Or still stick to Monk9/Fighter9?

BTW, VIP account so all race/class available.

Community Member

I hear ya, I also have an Arcane Archer with a 12 (dark) monk splash and I absolutely love it. But a 12 monk build will mean I will need at least a Greater Heart +3 to get the fighter past life on the TR.

I can only afford to go 9 on any monk splash. Probably dark as the TOD will rock pretty much up to Lvl 20.

My big concern is that 9 monk doesn't give me much of any innate DR breakers. I've learnt that 2WF suffer significantly when they are not able to break DR. I've heard OTOH that 2HF can pretty much ignore most DR as it doesn't eat significantly into their total damage.

For a 3x Monk9/Fighter9 past life grind, I could craft some DR breaking wraps but am wondering if the SoS I just got represents an easy out from all this. Just slap on the SoS from Lvl 10 and not have to equip anything else much till 20?

Is that viable? If so, any build suggestions? Or still stick to Monk9/Fighter9?

BTW, VIP account so all race/class available.
    Ah, you needed 3ftr lives. Thought you had 3. Then, yeah cant go 12monk. 9/9 is good, load your monks levels asap for wrap damage. Can splash 2 of any thing rogue for traps, pally for saves- dont need much dex this way just 17 for grt 2wf.

Community Member

If you just build for a past life then I suggest to split in 2 levels of Rouge for traps and evasion.
    For self healing you could go Human and UMD or Half Elf with Cleric dilettant.
    Splitting in some Barb levels works, but I didn't enyoied it in my past life. Too many short buffs I had to manage. Also you can't scroll heal / disable traps whole raging.

Esos is a great weapon, but the sos is not an esos... It's a good weapon, not a great weapon. So if you decide to do some barb or bard lives, yeah go that way.

I would do the 9 fighter 9 monk thing. But tod will not be as great on a fighter monk, the dc is based on monk levels not character levels, so it will start hitting 250 damage a lot, esp by vale. your stunning fist dc on the other hand will rock, and with the fighter bonus feats you could even take stunning blow as well, and the fighter tactics enhancements. Use fighter haste boost for burst dps, it doesnt have the 'bang! youre dead' effect of tod, but it definitely adds up over those 20 seconds.

Oh and about dr, the most common is holy, I'm sure you have some holy wraps by now. The rest I wouldn't even worry about it, unless you are going to stay at cap for a while and run some raids(do people even do raids any more?).
    Last edited by Lonnbeimnech; 05-22-2013 at 03:28 AM.

for my fighter life i went 9fighter 9bard and Horc with a big axe thought it was pretty great and fun but i had already done couple of bard lifes so had the equipment for casters and bards ready(this uses barb/fighter equipment though), if you want to stay at 20 you want the 12fight 8bard its quite a fun build the cc you have with the songs and then the haste/displace makes you survive and the fighter gives you the dps. 7bard is when you get the haste/displacement so usually you try to get this fast then load up on fighter lvls but you want 1 fighter lvl early also pref at lvl2. great for solo but works even better with a small team of other TRs.

may want to make a pos-pos green steel GA before TRing if you have a torc thats pretty nice also but doesnt make much of a impact except in things like a few amrath quests.

you can do the whole fighter/sorc WF thing also suprsingly effective tried it once on a sever were i had not played before and was pretty much the MVP in any group i joined without any starting equipment which is basically impossible on another build. id imagine youd feel like a demigod on a sorc/fighter with good equip
    Last edited by Uidolon; 05-22-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Community Member

You could also do 12 ftr / 6 paly / 2 monk, for a nice combo of saves, heals, feats.

Community Member

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I think the below seals it for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Esos is a great weapon, but the sos is not an esos... It's a good weapon, not a great weapon.
    I'll be looking at some monk splash - handwraps build for those 3xTR lives.

Cheers