Hybrid View

Question Opinions About Paladins

Hello everyone,

I used to play PnP going back to 2nd Edition, and the Paladins of traditional tabletop is quite a bit different than the Paladin of DDO. One of the biggest things missing is mounted combat, of course. Since it's not incorporated in DDO, it seems to me that the Paladin class is somewhat hindered. I've played around with a 12th level Fighter/8th Level Cleric build on DDO CharGen (Character Planner), and it seems that this combo would have lower BAB and HP, but anything else? This combo could both cast and fight better than a Paladin could.

Just wanted some opinions.
    Last edited by drkstlkr; 05-26-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    From: drkstlkr (Absalon Cononach, Cleric of The Church of the Silver Flame @ http://webpages.charter.net/drkstlkr/OnlineGaming.htm and member of the Frostfell Nomads Guild @ http://www.frostfellnomads.org)

Quote Originally Posted by drkstlkr View Post
    Hello everyone,

I used to play PnP going back to 2nd Edition, and the Paladins of traditional tabletop is quite a bit different than the Paladin of DDO. One of the biggest things missing is mounted combat, of course. Since it's not incorporated in DDO, it seems to me that the Paladin class is somewhat hindered. I've played around with a 12th level Fighter/8th Level Cleric build on DDO CharGen (Character Planner), and it seems that this combo would have lower BAB and HP, but anything else? This combo could both cast and fight better than a Paladin could.

Well, mounted combat in this game would be somewhat problematic, as most of the instances take place in areas where a mount might not be exactly feasible, a situation that I am sure you've dealt with having played D&D as long as you have.

12/8 Fighter/Cleric split seems as if it could keep up with fighting and casting, but as you said, lower BAB and HP. In this game, it seems that the real advantages that Paladins have over fighters are self-buffing, slightly more reliable ways of healing during and after combat aside from potion chugging (including, but not limited to Lay on Hands), and advantages against undead and CE Outsiders. I'm not quite sure what advantages a level 8 cleric would have against CE Outsiders, but I really don't see them having more smites and turns than a pure paladin would.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there are other trade-offs between those two options.

Also, posting three threads with the exact same content is a bit excessive. I understand having strong feeling on the issue, but cluttering up the forums with redundant information isn't the best way to express them. (There's always the bump.)

Quote Originally Posted by drkstlkr View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a capped 18/2 pally rogue, and am currently leveling up a 12/8 fighter/cleric. Here's the broad stroke differences for me, comparing my two alts:

Fighter/Cleric
    Decent dps
    Stunning Blow
    Low saves
    Moderate healing amp
    No umd (even if you build for it, ASF is a nightmare in heavy armor)
    RS Burst, Nightshield, Freedom of Movement and Deathward

Pally/Rogue
    Low dps
    No tactical feats of worth
    Good saves
    High healing amp
    Plenty of umd
    Immunity to fear, disease and level drain
    Evasion

The paladin's self-cures will likely end up much, much higher, but the fighter/cleric will heal sufficiently. (While paladins do get the deathward spell, my 18/2 spends his two level 4 spell slots on zeal and cure serious.)