Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I've also had this happening for a while now, but it's getting worse and worse - took 3 tries to get past the red connection icon. I gave up when it did it last night and played Something Else. I did a full reinstall less than a month ago and it didn't help at all.
    Most people call me Eva. Find me on Sarlona as: Evasca, Imandria, Kiicha, Araknia, Uglia, Tinylittle, or Milria.

Quote Originally Posted by righttoremainstupid View Post
    i've noticed over the past few days, that when i first log onto ddo and select my character, it starts to log in and i seem to be entering the game world. Then the connection hangs and my client is disconnected at the point of being about to be loaded into the world. Once i restart the client, it always works and i am able to then log in on any character without any issues. However, the first time i go to log in on any given day now, i have to go through this ritual. Is anyone else having similar problems? My graphics card drivers auto-updated a few days ago, could that be anything to do with it?
    wai

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1313 View Post
    so, no Dev is willing to say anything about this?!
    What do you want them to say? It has been a known issue for over a year. It is a 4 fold issue.

1. the dat files are internally fragmented, and the only fix really is to re install the game. (they claim that they do not, but if they do a one to one bases, it does not work. if they do a random rewrite, mayhapes it does. I don't know how their dat files are organized.)
    2. get new hardware that is faster on the IO. Typically a SSD HD. A 5,000 RPM "green" HD is too slow.
    3. Degrag your own hard drive (once a quarter, after cleaning out temp files. I tend to use CCleaner for this.) using something other than the default windows defrag program. I've been using Defraggler myself but i don't know what is better. (this being spoken from a Windows bases.)
    4. Turbine has to rewrite their communication protocol to actually have a working heartbeat to keep things alive and resync when data isn't received. If they used TCP vs. UDP they wouldn't have that issue, but then latency would be much worse. Why they don't use TCP during log in and then after logging/zoning go back to UDP I don't know other than some Manager would have to get off their fraking high horse and actually put aside budget to fix this wide spread issue.

4.0 caveat. When the player can do 1,2,and 3, seldom will a manager ever slot budget for #4 even though that would be what would be SMART to keep people playing.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 05-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    What do you want them to say? It has been a known issue for over a year. It is a 4 fold issue.

1. the dat files are internally fragmented, and the only fix really is to re install the game. (they claim that they do not, but if they do a one to one bases, it does not work. if they do a random rewrite, mayhapes it does. I don't know how their dat files are organized.)
    2. get new hardware that is faster on the IO. Typically a SSD HD. A 5,000 RPM "green" HD is too slow.
    3. Degrag your own hard drive (once a quarter, after cleaning out temp files. I tend to use CCleaner for this.) using something other than the default windows defrag program. I've been using Defraggler myself but i don't know what is better. (this being spoken from a Windows bases.)
    4. Turbine has to rewrite their communication protocol to actually have a working heartbeat to keep things alive and resync when data isn't received. If they used TCP vs. UDP they wouldn't have that issue, but then latency would be much worse. Why they don't use TCP during log in and then after logging/zoning go back to UDP I don't know other than some Manager would have to get off their fraking high horse and actually put aside budget to fix this wide spread issue.

4.0 caveat. When the player can do 1,2,and 3, seldom will a manager ever slot budget for #4 even though that would be what would be SMART to keep people playing.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I have this problem as well now and it just has to do with how fast you load. Strange thing is, all my other games load FAR faster than DDO but they are loading more assets I think, as they have more detail and higher resolution textures etc (thinking gw2 and ps2 here). Also I have 8gb ram and there should not be any swap disk action at all. So the issue I think is just that DDO loads assets with poor efficiency. Maybe additional compression can be used or something to reduce raw IO requirements and offload some of it to CPU decompression.
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

Most of the time I see this issue the game client is not responding according to the task manager even before the splash screen shows!!! This has happened to me on a 2 week old reinstallation of game client, and personally I believe it is more of a problem server wide trying to obtain account packet data as when the issue happens shows absolutely no data being received!!!

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default Wish people gave more detail

Not sure if this is your problem.

I let all the servers PAINT on the screen first before I choose from the list. I am not auto loading a server as I play on every server.

If I click on the server I want to go to first while the other servers are still loading, then I get to my character selection screen, I select a character, THEN I have a login failure.

I exercise patience when I first login now until all eight servers paint as being up and active.

Now, on my newest computer, whenever I enter the door to the crafting hall in House K, that machine takes up to two minutes to go into the crafting hall the first time. It does not disconnect, it is doing something like shoving it into some RAM for speedy future use or something I guess or hope. After that initial load, then it is fine.
    Last edited by TheNameIwasntB4; 05-29-2013 at 05:01 AM.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

I downloaded and installed DDO a week ago for the first time. Everything was fine, no initial loading freeze. Now I have the same issue, but only after I deleted one toon and started a new one. Maybe this helps to locate the problem.

Few days after clean install I'm back to good old red network status alert, yay...

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

What MissingMinds said.

As a temporary (well, it's permanent for me) copy over and run DDO from a usb flash drive. You'll never go back!

Report back here your results.

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

I play this game both on a desktop at home and on a laptop in multiple locations.
    I never have this problem on my desktop at home.
    I never have this problem on my laptop at home.

I have some networks that I connect to elsewhere that I always have this problem on my laptop.

As such - I have always suspected it was related to some network issue at the locations I was connecting at that have the problem, since the exact same computer can have the problem 100% consistently (in the last few months anyway) in one location and 0% of the time in another network.

Default Solution

HDD seeking issue

Pick one solution:

1) Buy SSD
    2) Copy game to the USB stick (16GB is enough and it is cheap), run game form it.
    3) try cache preloader https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ddopreload.zip
    (extract file into client's root folder and run it instead TurbineLauncher.exe)

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng20/Epic10 -> Drd6),
    Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic10->Sorc(EK)17)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by scoobmx View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I have this problem as well now and it just has to do with how fast you load. Strange thing is, all my other games load FAR faster than DDO but they are loading more assets I think, as they have more detail and higher resolution textures etc (thinking gw2 and ps2 here). Also I have 8gb ram and there should not be any swap disk action at all. So the issue I think is just that DDO loads assets with poor efficiency. Maybe additional compression can be used or something to reduce raw IO requirements and offload some of it to CPU decompression.
    It's still got to load files from the, probably bloated, client from your HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazzman View Post
    Few days after clean install I'm back to good old red network status alert, yay...
    I think the issue might be an anti-exploit that prevents you from spamming commands during/just as you load your character. When I tried to jump during load, the client immediately closed out but when I left the load unattended, it worked just fine.

This was tested about 4 times on 2 different alts on Argonnessen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    HDD seeking issue

Pick one solution:

1) Buy SSD
    2) Copy game to the USB stick (16GB is enough and it is cheap), run game form it.
    3) try cache preloader https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ddopreload.zip
    (extract file into client's root folder and run it instead TurbineLauncher.exe)
    Ty, the preloader works like charm. I'll try the USB tomorrow.

Exclamation Dev Fail!

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1313 View Post
    so, no Dev is willing to say anything about this?!
    You seemed surprised. I usually can tell by how long the load screen is taking If I am going to log in to my toon with X.. I also have seen it a few time after switching toons.
    Going MAdD

Quote Originally Posted by Yazzman View Post
    Ty, the preloader works like charm. I'll try the USB tomorrow.
    So, bought myself a cheap new 3.0 USB stick: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1714/3/. Worth about 25$. Did some testing first and surprisingly the numbers were better then in the review, almost double read speeds. After fresh DDO install it took about 5 seconds from launcher start to moving the character in-game. Compared to 2-3 minutes it took when running the game from HDD. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RightToRemainStupid View Post
    I've noticed over the past few days, that when I first log onto DDO and select my character, it starts to log in and I seem to be entering the game world. Then the connection hangs and my client is disconnected at the point of being about to be loaded into the world. Once I restart the client, it always works and I am able to then log in on any character without any issues. However, the first time I go to log in on any given day now, I have to go through this ritual. Is anyone else having similar problems? My graphics card drivers auto-updated a few days ago, could that be anything to do with it?
    I never used to have this problem with the same PC and network, but I've been getting this now for about a few months. I can only imagine what newcomers to the game must think when they try to login to the game for the first time after booting up their PC and then the game eventually disconnects. Not a good first impression at all, especially with all the new competition for their MMO time.

Community Member

On my first attempt to log into to the game since U18, I wasn't disconnected. It still takes ages to load, there seem to be large durations of zero connectivity or activity. It takes about 5 minutes after I click the login button before I can actually move my character. Actually I just tested it again and was DC'd on my first daily attempt to log in. A few more of these types of bugs and errors will kill the game completely, it's hard to want to login to DDO anymore as it is.
    Last edited by RightToRemainStupid; 06-03-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: additional observations

I re-downloaded the client and re-installed the whole game, but it didn't help.

This is what exactly happens:

1) When I log in for the first time everything is slow in Character-Selection-Screen. When I try to enter the world it takes ages to get to the Loading-Screen. Then it stops there at 0%.

2) When I Alt+Tab to Windows (which again takes ages to execute) and back to the game it suddenly loads.

3) When I then get into the game I can't move and there is a red latency symbol on the screen, which tells me, that I send but do not receive anything.

4) When I then click on Quit to go back to Character Select (which takes ages again) the game crashes with the Error Message "Connection to Server lost".

5) When I login the second time, all works fine and fast without delay or any other issues.

It's mysterious and annoying :/

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

On my usual laptop, I never had any problems with disconnect on login. It has a hybrid disk.

When the gfx Card failed and I had to use a different laptop, I suddenly had the problem two out of three times. It has a normal 5400 PRM HDD.

Then I dug out my USB 3.0 stick and installed DDO there. So far, this runs perfectly.

When I get my usual laptop back tomorrow (hopefully), I'll see what happens with log in issues then.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast