Default PP value now irrelevant?

Hey all, today finally I have been able to log back into the forums. I'll start by saying I'm an ftp mostly on the casual side of things, currently running on my fifth life. I have a variety of packs (mostly based on coolness factor). I missed eating popcorn and watching arguments!

What follows is not a complain, rather something I've been noticing. The game has turned a lot towards real life $ trading? I'm not necessarily referring to the shard exchange although that has been icing on the cake. I remember a year or so ago somebody asked for tp in exchange for a chrono scroll and I all but laughed and now everything starts and ends with dollars. Be it tp codes or otto's boxes or 'trading stuff for the expansion'. I am disappointed because I look at my 2,5m pp and I have nothing to spend it on.

I don't really think this is fully turbine's fault. This is old Diablo 3 mentality. Somebody DOES pay a 1550tp code for an ee item hence ten more try only to sell for tp just in case they find someone with deep pockets to feast on.

Mehs and double mehs

Always has been, granted I don't like the real money part of it now compared to the in game items that it used to be but there it is.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    I don't really think this is fully turbine's fault.
    This absolutely is Turbine's fault. Starting with not doing anything to regulate the inflation of their currency, and massively compounded by allowing exploiters to do so without any real consequence.

But sadly, this is the way that things are for DDO. The currency is so worthless that it has devolved back to a barter system with a few trade goods, and TP codes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    This absolutely is Turbine's fault. Starting with not doing anything to regulate the inflation of their currency, and massively compounded by allowing exploiters to do so without any real consequence.

But sadly, this is the way that things are for DDO. The currency is so worthless that it has devolved back to a barter system with a few trade goods, and TP codes.
    I use it for Scrolls and pots mostly now, can easily go through thousands of plat in no time for Heal, Raise, Tensers, Improved pots.

I don't like that there isn't anything much left on the auction house. Shard Exchange does, but I don't bother with it. Trade goods and TP/expansion codes will always be more sought after.

Community Member MarcusCleardawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    Hey all, today finally I have been able to log back into the forums. I'll start by saying I'm an ftp mostly on the casual side of things, currently running on my fifth life. I have a variety of packs (mostly based on coolness factor). I missed eating popcorn and watching arguments!

What follows is not a complain, rather something I've been noticing. The game has turned a lot towards real life $ trading? I'm not necessarily referring to the shard exchange although that has been icing on the cake. I remember a year or so ago somebody asked for tp in exchange for a chrono scroll and I all but laughed and now everything starts and ends with dollars. Be it tp codes or otto's boxes or 'trading stuff for the expansion'. I am disappointed because I look at my 2,5m pp and I have nothing to spend it on.

I don't really think this is fully turbine's fault. This is old Diablo 3 mentality. Somebody DOES pay a 1550tp code for an ee item hence ten more try only to sell for tp just in case they find someone with deep pockets to feast on.

Mehs and double mehs
    I think your observation is misplaced. The Sellers of Epic Elite Items, Scrolls, +4 tomes, etc. are in all probability players that have, or could easily get more platinum than they could spend. Why would such a Seller trade something that other people value very highly for something that the Seller values not at all?

The Sellers of such items have wants, things that they value, however, by and large, none of those things may be acquired with platinum. So such Sellers are more likely to Barter "Thing of Epic uberness" for "Other Thing of Epic Uberness" or for astral shards which might in the future be traded in for "Epic Other Thing of Uberness" or for turbine points for DDO Store items that make their lives more convenient/interesting that are not available for any other currency.

The nature of Buying and Selling is the exchange of Value for Value, and value is subjective. Currently, the Supply of Epic Things of Uberness is very small and the current holders of that supply do not value things that can be bought for platinum. However, be of good cheer. Absent extreme accident, Things of Epic Uberness once acquired do not expire and thus the demand for such items among those who are currently in the best position to obtain such items will be satisfied, and yet, those people are still likely to engage in the activities which reward them with a supply of these items. Being unable to use them themselves, the Item of Epic Uberness has no personal value to the Seller. Thus, the Seller will be increasingly willing to trade that item for other things that they might value.

TL DR

Current supplies for EE items, etc. is very short; give it time, demand will decrease, while supplies increase and price will go down. Eventually, they are likely to be posted on the AH for plat.

Case in point. +2 tomes were never, or almost never, posted on the AH for platinum. Gradually they were in increasing numbers, until it became quite common. The same will eventually happen with the stuff the OP wants to buy.

Cheers

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

I think DDO's economy is one of the best and most robust I've experienced in an MMO. Especially after the ASAH. I say this because I've played games where it was literally physically impossible to BUY anything important without using real dollars.

One standout example of this was Ultima Online, with an economy so bad that to buy almost any player housing you needed to spend the equivelent of 3-4 REAL WORLD YEARS of grinding to make the gold needed. Or spend two minutes on Ebay buying 1 million gold for $5.50 until you had the 10,000,000 million gold needed to buy anything larger than a 4x4. Other MMO's I've played had almost nothing to buy at any level, and one even had purely trade based barter economy. Diablo 3's economy when I left was 100% haves and have nots, either something was worth 5 million or it was unsellable.

DDO on the other hand has a thriving and diverse market, I can trade tome pages easilly usually within minutes of advertizing "trading W and X for Y and Z" a crafting/collectable that is what 5 years old? for other tome pages, for hundreds of K plat, for shroud ings, sell for shards, even use TP's via trading raid timers. I can (and have) sold Raid timers for plat. There's ingredients, and collectables, and store items that actually drop in game, there's hearts, and cosmetics, and the occasional wild random loot gen item. Like the Holy Dwarven axe I got recently for an ungodly sum of plat that has A thousand Suns suffix (That's Holy 2d6, Coruscating 2d6, Greater Sunburst, Holy Burst 2d6, in addition to 2W base damage). There's all sorts of twink stuff, trading shroud ings, selling them for plat, buying low selling high, there's astral shard and Plat AH's that can be played off one another. Scrolls cost a fortune when you actively incorporate them in your playstyle (My bard uses Tensers for example), once you get over the hesitation to use SP pots that also gets expensive.

I have multiple capped toons, and millions of plat, but I just don't see this "nothing to spend on" that people speak of... in fact I seem to blaze through plat faster than I make it... I've got a cannith crafter so essences by the gazillion, a toon that uses crafted +5 holy arrows at a 1500 stack per night. (that's about 300k plat a night roughly) I've got a character in the planner that's going to need greater/sovereign healing elixers until at least Silver flame pots and ED healing twists.

I don't see it, I log in every day even when I don't play and check the AH (wish they had a mobile app!) and do a couple dozen regular searches. there's always something new I want, a Drow Greataxe for my battle cleric, a Fanion's worth of shield fragments, a minos for a new toon (what!? I am not a farmer, anything that is farm or grind heavy that I can buy I will buy and then run those quests the normal amount I would have run them anyway just for fun).

I guess my perspective or expectations are different, DDO's got a pretty good economy and I see raid timers selling like hot cakes, so someone's using plat and someones wanting the plat they're getting from those sales. I also see White dragon helms sell for millions, and then on the ASAH sell for 500 shards. Someone's using plat, and someone else is providing it to them. Irrelivant? Not in the game I'm playing.

As long as I've played, plat has been increasing relatively useless - the introduction of things like the ASAH has just made it more so. The biggest issue is there is no real sort of plat sink, and plat is way too easy to get. This was true not long after I started playing - FRDS and epic scrolls started being a major currency pretty fast.

Personally, as I had gotten into the habit of selling gear that I can no longer use, it may take me several hundred thousand plat in consumables and all to TR a character, which is about the highest expenditure over time I have...and that much plat can be made in a single night, with just a little luck on EH loot drops (EE loot drops can make several times that amount). The problem is just that - there's so much plat just sitting around that you can very quickly make lots of it just by getting good loot to sell on the AH, and outside of the AH (where a lot of my several hundred thousand, or possibly million, plat I may spend on a TR goes), there's no real place for it to go...and if used on the AH, 70% of it is still in circulation.
    Last edited by WruntJunior; 05-25-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk