Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 93

Thread: Dead Saturday

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    593

    Default Dead Saturday

    Been on for a few hours and not been able to scrape a full pug together for Vale elites. There are plenty of LFMS but 12-17 is dead again this life. The mid game population is grim...

    I have had only 2 healers in my pugs so far to lvl 17

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290

    Default

    I imagine that a lot of people are getting outdoors to enjoy their long weekends, even taking the opportunity to travel.

    But the fact that spell damage is bugged to hell certainly doesn't help make people want to log in either.... I know that if not for that I would be leveling my Sorc that I wanted to get some past lives on before the Enhancement Trees nerf their critical damage. Guess they got me.....

  3. #3
    Community Member Grosbeak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    7,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldgolem View Post
    Been on for a few hours and not been able to scrape a full pug together for Vale elites. There are plenty of LFMS but 12-17 is dead again this life. The mid game population is grim...

    I have had only 2 healers in my pugs so far to lvl 17
    Also a lot of players are like me in a holding pattern of sorts until this whole Enhancement thing gets sorted out. No sense it planning a build, that has the potential to change significantly in the near future. So no need to TR. Also with the expansion looming, no need to farm loot as it will likely be outdated.

    Bottom line is.. a lot of things are contributing to how slow things are right now.
    Last edited by Grosbeak07; 05-25-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

  4. #4
    Community Member badbob117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default

    It has been really dead all month. Even harbor chat is dead and that is usually pretty active with all kinds of spam, joking, bad advice and pvp trash talking. Not even a begger loitering around AH anymore. You can literally hear crickets in Marketplace.This is actually the most dead i have ever seen the game. In 4 years I have yet to see it like this. Sure we have our down times. Kids are doing exams. Graduating, Partying, and living life. But it usually is not this extreme.

    Games looking bleak right now. This new xpac better rock the house or It could very well crumble into dust. Really hoping new xpac steps it up a notch and revitalizes DDO. We sure need it..
    Born to play, Forced to work !

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Doom and gloom, doom and gloom....the game is fine, its just a combination of

    1) Another game came out recently, that always draws away curious gamers, but they usually come back within a month ortwo
    2) End of school, a lot of gamers might be out doing other things now
    3) Memorial Day weekend, so double-down on #2 right now.

    I doubt we're in the "lame duck" phase for the Enhancement Pass yet, there's still many months (enough for a couple full TR lives) before that comes to Live servers, probably. There may be some "lame duck" effect for the level cap raise, people not wanting to play their 25s and let the XP go to waste, but anyone with a non-capped char doesnt have any reason not to play those right now.

  6. #6
    Community Member arkonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    yeah i agree with summer coming a lot of the players are students or families. So they are choosing to go outside more then playing. NWO came out as well so they are checking that out any other new game hitting. When new consoles games hit. There are many reasons. people will start coming back around the expansion to check it out.

  7. #7
    Community Member Vint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Doom and gloom, doom and gloom....the game is fine, its just a combination of

    1) Another game came out recently, that always draws away curious gamers, but they usually come back within a month ortwo
    2) End of school, a lot of gamers might be out doing other things now
    3) Memorial Day weekend, so double-down on #2 right now.

    I doubt we're in the "lame duck" phase for the Enhancement Pass yet, there's still many months (enough for a couple full TR lives) before that comes to Live servers, probably. There may be some "lame duck" effect for the level cap raise, people not wanting to play their 25s and let the XP go to waste, but anyone with a non-capped char doesnt have any reason not to play those right now.
    Disagree.

    It is quite possible that the enhancments are going to totally screw builds over, so why invest in getting it certain past lives if that build will be scraped? Sure you could make something of the build, but many are left with two options.

    1. Keep tr’ing a build, just praying that Turbine will not screw that build over with the new pass coming
    Or
    2. Spend time doing RL things until Turbine decides what direction the game is going. I fall here. I will spend my night sitting by the fire pit out back.

    The game is meant to be fun, but I tell you after 7 years that it is no fun to make something nice and have Turbine take a dump on it and all that effort put into a build is for not.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

    LEGION

  8. #8
    Community Member ...v...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Doom and gloom, doom and gloom....the game is fine, its just a combination of

    1) Another game came out recently, that always draws away curious gamers, but they usually come back within a month ortwo
    2) End of school, a lot of gamers might be out doing other things now
    3) Memorial Day weekend, so double-down on #2 right now.

    I doubt we're in the "lame duck" phase for the Enhancement Pass yet, there's still many months (enough for a couple full TR lives) before that comes to Live servers, probably. There may be some "lame duck" effect for the level cap raise, people not wanting to play their 25s and let the XP go to waste, but anyone with a non-capped char doesnt have any reason not to play those right now.
    Which game are you talking about? Never Winter Nights? I am waiting for Elder Scrolls Online myself.

  9. #9
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldgolem View Post
    Been on for a few hours and not been able to scrape a full pug together for Vale elites. There are plenty of LFMS but 12-17 is dead again this life. The mid game population is grim...

    I have had only 2 healers in my pugs so far to lvl 17
    The solution is to nerf long holiday weekends because they interfere with your fantasy online gaming.

    Or did you forget this IS a holiday weekend where most of America is outside grilling, camping the beach, or helping fellow citizens?

    Try again when it is not a holiday.

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  10. #10
    Community Member CheeseMilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    1,840

    Cool

    Today was the town-wide yard sale day in my town, so that's ~1200 people or so.

    I'll get them to log in immediately.

  11. #11
    Community Member kmoustakas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    What I've been noticing for the past two months here in sarlona is that there are usually plenty of lfms for low level quests or epic gianthold but nothing else. Firing even easy raids such as shroud or e-chrono has been an issue and for more rare ones like lob only on saturday's and then at specific times of the day.

    Hence I TR'ed and hope by the time I reach 16+ everyone's had their fill of egh and would be willing to run other stuff.

  12. #12
    Community Member AzB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    The solution is to nerf long holiday weekends because they interfere with your fantasy online gaming.

    Or did you forget this IS a holiday weekend where most of America is outside grilling, camping the beach, or helping fellow citizens?

    Try again when it is not a holiday.
    The only problem with that explanation is that it's been this way for several weeks. It's exacerbated by the long holiday weekend no doubt, but last Saturday wasn't particularly active either.

  13. #13
    Community Member Ivan_Milic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    Some people cant log in to game, every time they log in char the game crashes.

  14. #14
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Memorial Day weekend in the only country that matters, lots of people have family stuff.

  15. #15
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Once again this is the critical mass effect we're seeing, the grouping system has so many impediments that when the player base drops below a certain number; LFM's all but dry up and the game looks like a ghost town. Believe it or not a lot of players are just sitting on the couch watching comedy channel or a movie with the LFM window open with no groups to join in their level range. Especially newer players with only one character and no alternates in other level ranges. All over there are "joiners" sitting with a 13th level character or a 10 or 15, they're looking at empty LFM's or one group in their range but it's 1 person IP 11 mins (expired) and joining that might be less than attractive to many players: open chests, zerged mobs, unknown traps, in quests they might or might not know the way around in or even how to get to the entrance or quest giver.

    These "joiners" sit around for as long as their patience or attention span allow without finding something interesting and they give up and download NWO or something else to check out because DDO appears to be dead.

    There are other factors of course, as the base shrinks: The less people in groups the more socially awkward the situation is, especially when you get a couple players who aren't very good or their character builds are a poor fit to be in the same group.

    Unfortunately DDO's grouping system reinforces the problem... once there are less leaders and self starters with LFM's up, the likelyhood of seeing a group you want to join, just drops off the map. But at the same time, the number of groups you're excluded from (because you're 1 level too high, or low, or you're not flagged, or you don't "know it" or any number of other reasons) become all the more apparent as inherent "friction" in the system. Right now DDO is suffering because the "grouping friction" is actually higher than what your average "joiner" is willing to overcome. When you present a :"joiner" who doesn't play MMO's to solo, the option of: Start your own group and hope someone joins, or solo, or sit around for hours hoping something good pops up; a lot of them are going to go with Door number 4 "go do something else".

    As an experiment do this: on any given night where you can't find a group within a reasonable time (assuming you're a joiner and not a leader as very few people are); say within a half an hour (I've sat for hours personally); count the number of groups that are JUST OUTSIDE your level on both ends Elite BB or otherwise... And then count the groups running quests you're NOT FLAGGED FOR due to DDO's arbitrary and really quite pointless flagging system.

    Those two factors alone will PROBABLY account for about two to three TIMES more LFM's you can't join, than ones you can.

    "too bad that guys running Delera's but I'm one level too high", "I'd break that groups BB", "I bet they'd love to have my healer in their "healer and go" LFM but my Healer is 1 level too high, and my current character that's in the right level range is not a healer" these are all true real thoughts I've had while NOT PLAYING DDO because there were no groups, or my LFM was sitting unfilled (because I am occasionally a leader, I would be a leader 100% of the time if DDO wasn't purely meta-gaming and had randomized elements, unfortunately my leadership often must take a back seat to my unwillingness (slash inability) to memorize every quest in the game). "Hey if you want a 12 I will join but you wont get BB", "I'd jump in but I'm not flagged for that/on that leg of the chain" are tells I've been sent.

    I honestly think DDO is simply going to crumble if they don't do some radical surgery to the grouping system. DDO is like a hundred little sub games that you can't play spreading everyone out between level 1 through 25 (soon 28) in a game that would have plenty of players if we were all the same level... But no where NEAR enough when you divide them all up in small 2 to 3 level ranges.

    Even if they changed quests to hard coded "grouping clusters" for instance made all level 1 through 4 quests doable by 1 though 6 character levels, and all level 5 though 8's doable by level 4 through 10 they would dramatically increase the prospective pool of players for each cluster. Yes that means an 5th level quest would be doable without penalty by a 10th level character (they could tweak these numbers significantly and still get the desired expanding of the joiner pool) so they would need to put more dynamic scaling in.

    Think of games that seem to go on forever, DIABLO 2 still has a healthy player base, partially because they have little to no arbitrary exclusions to players playing together. Also because meta-gaming doesn't present an added friction against self starting (leading) because the pathways and locations are randomized, there's no need to "know it" because there's littler or nothing to "know".
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 05-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    All over there are "joiners" sitting with a 13th level character or a 10 or 15, they're looking at empty LFM's or one group in their range
    You know, this really does get funnier and funnier every time you say it!

  17. #17
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    You know, this really does get funnier and funnier every time you say it!
    Why? Because you are getting a kick out of the game dying? or because you have a poor understanding of human nature?

  18. #18
    Community Member Ivan_Milic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Why? Because you are getting a kick out of the game dying? or because you have a poor understanding of human nature?
    Game isnt dying.
    Thelanis is healthy.

  19. #19
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    This is posted on a day when at least 4 different times there were 20 LFM's in the 1-6 level range. Most of which had 3-4 people in them.
    This also posted on a day when I saw MA, LOB, VOD, HOX, 5 Shrouds, EEfot, EH fot, EN CITW all pugged.
    This posted on a day when in my channel I took part in 1 EH fot, 1 EN fot, 1 Shroud, and a number of EE stuff.
    This is posted on the second day of my TR, where I have pugged my way from 1-6 without the slightest bit of trouble filling a group.
    I've also been mostly hard streaking, since my TR is only second life. And people don't seem to care for Elite BB as much any more.
    I'd say Argo is alive and strong.

    Sure the level 16-19 is kind of a dead zone... but it always has been. this has been compounded by a number of factors on Argo right now, people finally getting completionist so the grind is done, most people have their past lives now, so again they grind is mostly done. most end game players right now are using Otto's when they TR so the jump right to 20 anyways... The mid game has taken a severe hit with the inroduction of the Ottos box, and personally i'd like to see the XP stone gone. But that's not likely to happen.

    So, Yeah... The servers are not dead, or dying.
    Neither is the game from a population standpoint.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,383

    Default

    I played DDO a little bit on Saturday morning and it was definitely dead. I think it is probably due to the holiday weekend.

    I then played some NWO and it was as busy as I've ever seen it. It's probably just because DDO players on average are better grillers than NWO players.

    Grilling aside, LFMS are definitely down. The channel populations are definitely down vs. a few months ago. My guild's activity level is definitely down. I am still betting that DDO will be just fine, but it might be less fun for people that are frequent utilizers of the LFM system. I am guessing it's temporary and lets just all agree to go with the grilling idea.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

    Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload