Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dead Saturday

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    To help drive my point home. I was asking you for the name of your guild. If a guild's name has nothing to do with success rate for recruiting members via LFMs, then there should be no reason for you to withhold the name. The positive/negative guild reputation was not aimed specifically at you but rather in general. That does not mean though it cannot apply to you.
    I don't have a problem. I just think it's irrelevant since I never said I was having any problems with LFMS - I merely noted there are less of them than then there was 1 year ago. I rarely use the LFM system any more so it's not a problem for me at all - none.

I made an observation that LFMS are down. You asked me for the name of the guild. The two things have nothing to do with each other - nothing.

I don't mind telling you my guild I have done so in other posts which you are free to look up. I just don't see what the point is since there is no problem with me or my guildies getting shunned. I have no idea how you got that impression because I never said it and it simply isn't true. It's ridiculous actually.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I made an observation that LFMS are down. You asked me for the name of the guild. The two things have nothing to do with each other - nothing.
    You're forgetting the part before I asked you. Namely the part where it was suggested their guild is unpopular. You then basically responded claiming it had nothing to do with it. I then asked the question as an attempt to drive the point home. The point was never specifically you or your guild, but the concept that guild reputation can play a vital role in filling LFMs.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 05-27-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Your earlier statement is quoted below for reference. Basically the way I understood it is you are claiming a guild is not at fault for reducing the likelihood of filling LFMs. My statement is that it is in fact an important aspect. I asked for your guild name as a way to help prove my statement. Your response is what I was aiming for. Namely if you freely gave or withheld your guild's name. The actual name is unimportant.
    Someone else made a comment that my guild wasn't getting accepted into LFMs. That is simply not true and the original post and my response to it are both now gone. And I meant what I said, there is no need for personal attacks and that had nothing to do with you. For the record I have never once ran with that person - not once to my knowledge. But I know he doesn't like my posts suggesting we eliminate or reduce decay and I think that is the reason why he is saying those things. It has nothing to do with my guild.

My comments were that the lfm system is important to casual players and the fact that LFMS are down is a problem some of those folks. Not for me. I am just very curious why you need the name of my guild since we are on different servers. It appears to have nothing do with the discussion so I can't think of a single good reason why you would need it.
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I am just very curious why you need the name of my guild since we are on different servers. It appears to have nothing do with the discussion so I can't think of a single good reason why you would need it.
    You're too focused on the trees to see the forest. The question had little to do with your guild's actual name but rather if you were willing to give the information freely or not. One way to view freely giving the response is that you really do believe it has nothing to do with LFMs filling. Likewise one way to view withholding the information was that you actually do believe it has something to do with it.

The word "you" is not limited to referring to a single person. It can refer to an entire collection of people. Namely the OP and those similar to him.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 05-27-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

You're too focused on the trees to see the forest. The question had little to do with your guild's actual name but rather if you were willing to give the information freely or not. One way to view freely giving the response is that you really do believe it has nothing to do with LFMs filling. Likewise one way to view withholding the information was that you actually do believe it has something to do with it.
    It seemed to be a very bizarre question and still does since I never once said I had a problem getting into LFMS or filling parties. I rarely use the LFM system for that purpose any more. I merely agreed with the observation that LFMS are down - I believe they are. And I don't think it's right to label everyone who says they are having trouble filling a party as being in a bad guild. That's total speculation.

I wasn't withholding anything, but I did want to understand why you were dragging my guild into this discussion when I never once said my guild was getting shunned - they aren't. My guild has nothing to do with this discussion. That is why I didn't see and still don't see the point in it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    This is just a pointless derail, to make something personal.
    So when someone disagrees with what you say, then it is a pointless derail or a personal attack. But you find it perfectly reasonable to reply to valid responses to what you have said with messages that get cubed such as:
    Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Okay so option B, you don't understand human nature. Next time just say so.
    Let's just ignore that little bit of hypocrisy, and focus on the fallacies in your logic regarding the topic on hand.

Never mind that if everyone started an LFM there would just be more 1 player LFM's... You know... like there always are? I counted 15 one man LFM's last night.
    Lots of people wait for others and when they don't find anything they download NWO. or do something else like watch TV or read about other games
    So you put forth two different ideas. One is that there are 'always' LFMs around with only one person in them. And the other that there are 'lots' of people waiting for others to put up LFMs. Only if both of these statements were true then the groups would have people to join them!

I am not sure why I am even bothering to point this out once again. It is not like the lack of coherence is something that has not been mentioned before. And even when there is a rational rebuttal to any idea it typically gets ignored and some half-related twist that has nothing to do with the central point is responded to instead. Such as:
    You really need to me to post proof that most people are not leaders?

What else do you need? Most people aren't as smart as Einstein? Most pigs can't fly? Most bears **** in woods?
    No one ever challenged 'most people's leadership potential. That is entirely outside the scope of this argument to begin with. But instead of responding to questions about your ideas in a rational manner, it is easier to have a Red Herring and pretend that the person asked something other than what they did. A line of reasoning that is easier to defeat, rather than what is actually there.

This thread was created with the observation that LFMs are down quite a lot. Nearly everyone who has posted here agreed with this assessment. This is something that Turbine really should be addressing, as the LFM panel is a new player's first point of entry into the game and without that they are not likely to stick around. There are many different contributors to this problem. Community discussion on this topic is helpful, as Turbine employees are by definition professionals who are not able to spend the majority of their time just setting on DDO. They need other people's perspectives in order to attempt to see the way that their community perceives things. But pushing irrational points of views, along with erroneous responses to anyone who questions those views, is not going to help anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    Community discussion on this topic is helpful, as Turbine employees are by definition professionals who are not able to spend the majority of their time just setting on DDO. They need other people's perspectives in order to attempt to see the way that their community perceives things. But pushing irrational points of views, along with erroneous responses to anyone who questions those views, is not going to help anything.
    So you are saying that Turbine listens to what we have to say on the forums? If you believe this then you have lost all credibility.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    So you are saying that Turbine listens to what we have to say on the forums? If you believe this then you have lost all credibility.
    'Turbine' is not one homogenous entity. I know that Cordaven does listen to what is said on the forums, and regularly passes that information along. Now, how it ends up circling some black hole after that....

There is a big difference between listening, and accepting. The majority of player suggestions made are either terrible ideas, or else not something that is worth the opportunity cost to implement. The project leads set the design direction for DDO, not the forum community. There are several cases where they have altered course based on feedback given, such as the top tier of enhancements during the Enhancement Tree Alpha.

There are also countless examples of information either being ignored, the design direction not being in sync with what the player base wants, or the systems used not having the agility to respond to the information in a timely manner. The terrible state of all things caster in the same Enhancement Tree Alpha would likely be an example of the second. The hundreds of bugs that have gone from Mournlands to Lamannia to Live over the years would be examples of the first and last.

But in general, if an argument is well thought out and put together, someone will read it. This does not mean that they will agree with it, or act on it. If it looks like yet another whine thread or drama showdown, the chances of being looked at drop greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    'Turbine' is not one homogenous entity. I know that Cordaven does listen to what is said on the forums, and regularly passes that information along.
    Well I will make a personal plea. Cordovan, can I call you Jerry? My names is Andrew and I would not mind being on a first name basis with you. If so, we are now BFF’s and I am one of the “cool kids”, so I have a couple ideas for you to toss to the

The augment bag is a joke. I can get a character slot (just got 3 extra) that can hold 60 (actually 140 with a little favor), for less than one of these bags. They might as well make the bags hold more and BTA and then you will see more of them sell.

Another thing is the pets. Tell “our other BFF’s) that these are a waste. If the man wants my money tell him to give me the ability to purchase feats or spell slots. My Sorc would love a 5th lvl 5 spell slot, as well as begin able to slot another feat. Thanks for your time BFF.

LEGION

Just because Turbine doesn't respond to every single wish and whim tossed out by players, let alone the ridiculous 'or else' demands people post on a daily basis, it doesn't mean Turbine doesn't take into account player feedback. It does.

Furthermore, you know it does. Some posters are just embittered because their ideas aren't implemented immediately or even acknowledged as the important game saving changes they believe them to be. It isn't a surprise considering:

1- Many posters rarely present any constructive feedback that isn't slathered in self-hating snark such as:

Cordovan, can I call you Jerry? My names is Andrew and I would not mind being on a first name basis with you. If so, we are now BFF’s and I am one of the “cool kids”, so I have a couple ideas for you to toss

2- Posters are can be so self-centered that they can't imagine anyone reasonable, let alone a large percentage of the player base, would ever disagree with their incredible ideas unless they are idiots, fanboys, or company shills. For example:

Another thing is the pets. Tell “our other BFF’s) that these are a waste.

No matter that there have been multiple threads over the last year by numerous players not named Vint who have emphatically supported pets and who have repeatedly asked for the exact pets that are offered in the expansion, or that Turbine, which actually has real information about what sells in its store, has a better idea than forum posters which items sell best.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Just because Turbine doesn't respond to every single wish and whim tossed out by players, let alone the ridiculous 'or else' demands people post on a daily basis, it doesn't mean Turbine doesn't take into account player feedback. It does.
    You can say whatever large percentage wants these pets, but I am telling you that feats and spell slots would sell like hot cakes. Turbine does not have to losten to me and I will not be upset. I am merely pointing to a subject that would make me (as well as many others) actualy spend.

I will not post past this as I am not the one that is allowed to call him Jerry.

LEGION

Well I will make a personal plea. Cordovan, can I call you Jerry? My names is Andrew and I would not mind being on a first name basis with you. If so, we are now BFF’s and I am one of the “cool kids”, so I have a couple ideas for you to toss to the

The augment bag is a joke. I can get a character slot (just got 3 extra) that can hold 60 (actually 140 with a little favor), for less than one of these bags. They might as well make the bags hold more and BTA and then you will see more of them sell.

Another thing is the pets. Tell “our other BFF’s) that these are a waste. If the man wants my money tell him to give me the ability to purchase feats or spell slots. My Sorc would love a 5th lvl 5 spell slot, as well as begin able to slot another feat. Thanks for your time BFF.
    Sure, Jerry's fine. Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass it along! It should be noted that your opinion on Creature Companions is perfectly valid, but does not represent everyone's opinion. Lots of folks like them. Selling spell slots and feat slots is not something I have heard discussed in the building here, but your opinion is noted.

That said, in regards to this thread, I'm closing it, since too much of this thread is related to fighting and guild insults.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345