Default To any dev in charge of random loot and named items

What we are seeing lately is an increase of complaints regarding raid loot and named loot; this is mainly because the players of the game have become so spoiled by random generated loot, that the won't accept a lore-inspired item any more, they just want powerful and forever useful stuff (which, obviously, would break the game - but they don't understand that, because 80% of the player base, just as humans in general, are stupid).

The solutions might be two: you either accept to make named loot so powerful that everyone will go for those 5 items and equips will all look alike, or you entirely remove random generated loot from the game, because let's face it, THAT is the problem. Random loot is better than named items, a lot of people are saying. Well, it shouldn't. Loot should be something people look forward too, and it should be unique and rewarding. Characters should feel like finding a named item actually gives them an extra chance at survival, instead of going "meh, **** I got this junk loot which is better already". See my point?

I don't think the game should be so easy in giving out random loot with 4.5 powers on it, it only creates an in inflation of items in which named loot doesn't fit any more, unless is superior to anything by default (and again, I think that would ruin everyone's experience). Besides, we have crafting already, what's the need of all this items in chests anyway? Crafting is suffering from this situation too.

tl;dr: named items shouldn't be too powerful to begin with, random loot is what makes us perceive named items as crappy; we have too many powers in our equip an are so spoiled that named items never seem to satisfy; I suggest to remove the current system of random generated loot so that named items will feel like an achievement again.

To clear any doubts, I was being serious.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Svartelric View Post
    I... Don't like it, but I must agree with it. I have a seventh level character with a Night's Grasp Greatsword. That's basically 4d6 to anything I choose to swing it at plus Power Attack plus a full Abishai set plus a +2 strength tome for 26 Str plus Cleave and Great Cleave.

The game was never intended for seventh level characters to be doing 6d6 nigh-unresistable damage in a wide arc every few seconds. Oh, and -1 Dex, don't forget that!

And it's all due to cheap proliferation of overpowered random lootgen items like that sword.

What we are seeing lately is an increase of complaints regarding raid loot and named loot; this is mainly because the players of the game have become so spoiled by random generated loot, that the won't accept a lore-inspired item any more, they just want powerful and forever useful stuff (which, obviously, would break the game - but they don't understand that, because 80% of the player base, just as humans in general, are stupid).

[...]
    I kinda get what you're saying for mid level / low raid gear. Terror used to be an awesome greatsword because of it's unique "nightmare" ability. Now, that nightmare ability is no longer unique and any rand gen item can spawn it.

A lot of low lvl items suffer from this syndrome. Where rand gen gear can now outshine a harder to get named item. (bought off the AH for cheaper too).

I think the devs tried to balance this a bit by adding augment slots to many named items at low-mid lvl. So that named items can have more "utility" vs these rand gen items.

At end game / 24-25.... CITW, FOT, and EE gear still reign supreme over rand gen loot.

What should probably be done is to add more unique abilities to named items.

I.E. the only way to get "demonic life shield" proc is to use a demon's consorts or a calvalry plate. And this life shield proc is a huge boost to defense. This makes demon consorts still the best bracers for Pale masters.

The only way to get a useful "demonic might" unique str boost is with night grasps. This makes EE Nethers the ideal dps gloves for many melee.

The only way to get Concordant opposition proc is to use green steel. Making shroud, still a must run raid, for many people.

They just need to create more useful and unique procs / abilities to items. And, limit the abilities to those items only.

You must only be talking about weapons. It certainly isn't true of any other piece of equipment. Not even at low level.

I also worked hard to have high crafting levels, and i can tell you that, apart from weapons, I use almost no random items at all at low to mid levels. Even with weapons, the only reason i will use a random generated one over a named one is if i have put icy burst on it.

If random generated weapons went back to being as junky as they were before update 14, opening chests would go back to being just as uninteresting as it was back then.

Also, one of my main characters uses falchions. Another uses dwarven axes. I have a friend who uses bastard swords, and i may in the future. There are no good named options for these weapons. So i'm glad it's possible to find decent versions of them from random generations.

I actually think they have balanced it out pretty well. If fact i think they could upgrade the random generation for non weapon items some. I'd like to see it possible for convalescence items to generate at levels lower than epic.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    You must only be talking about weapons. It certainly isn't true of any other piece of equipment. Not even at low level.

I also worked hard to have high crafting levels, and i can tell you that, apart from weapons, I use almost no random items at all at low to mid levels. Even with weapons, the only reason i will use a random generated one over a named one is if i have put icy burst on it.

If random generated weapons went back to being as junky as they were before update 14, opening chests would go back to being just as uninteresting as it was back then.

Also, one of my main characters uses falchions. Another uses dwarven axes. I have a friend who uses bastard swords, and i may in the future. There are no good named options for these weapons. So i'm glad it's possible to find decent versions of them from random generations.

I actually think they have balanced it out pretty well. If fact i think they could upgrade the random generation for non weapon items some. I'd like to see it possible for convalescence items to generate at levels lower than epic.
    3, 5, and 7% convalescent, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Keltarrin View Post
    3, 5, and 7% convalescent, maybe?
    Heck, i'd go with 10 and 20%. Just give them an accurate potential rating and make it possible for them to spawn as the only effect on an item. Not sure what level that would be, but it would be lower than 20.

Considering you can get the PDK gloves at level 20, and they have 30%, plus a bunch of other stuff, i don't think getting a clean 20% convalescent item at say, level 16 would be that overpowering.

It would be neat if they made the effect craftable too. Certainly very high level crafting levels required. Ideally, they would make every possible random generated effect craftable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post

I pretty much agree with Festushood. Unless it's got a clicky or a slot, the randomly generated non-weapon gear for heroic levels usually isn't worth glancing at. Crafted and named items are pretty much superior in all ways until hitting Epic levels. Once hitting Epics, I find the named gear are more for consolidating slots.

Weapons are a different beast altogether. Depending on the weapon, the named items can go from great to utter uselessness compared to randomly generated items. The upgrades of the heroic items in update 17 helped alot, since prior to the update only a handful of weapons were useful at all.

I have to completely agree about the lack of decent Falchions and Dwarven Axes. We all know about the complete lack of named Dwarven Axes in the game until a few updates ago. Falchions are pretty much in the same boat. Case in point, the only decent named Falchion in the game is the Breach and it's outshined by all the one-handed weapons in the same raid.

Community Member

the dev in charge of gear/random loot gen stuffs is just lazy.instead of actually doing a job properly he just opened it all up and randomized everything, donned his funny cap, tossed his scarf around his neck and checked out.will it change? hells no. that would mean that particular hat and scarf wearing dev would have to, you now, work at his job and not suck at it and yes, currently he sucks at his job.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    the dev in charge of gear/random loot gen stuffs is just lazy.instead of actually doing a job properly he just opened it all up and randomized everything, donned his funny cap, tossed his scarf around his neck and checked out.will it change? hells no. that would mean that particular hat and scarf wearing dev would have to, you now, work at his job and not suck at it and yes, currently he sucks at his job.
    I will have you know that the dev you allude to is in fact "very good at his job". He has assured me of it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_Rove View Post
    I will have you know that the dev you allude to is in fact "very good at his job". He has assured me of it.
    he said that, did he?he was wrong.

Exactly what random generated loot is better than the best low level named weapons. Yes, some named weapons stink, I agree. But saying that random generated weapon loot is the best is just funny. Easier to acquire, yes; better, no!

Put another way...
    I loot just as much crappy random generated loot as I loot crappy named items. At least random generated loot can be broken down

This seems the perfect thread for me to complain about the Cormyrian randomly-generated challenge items. Really, those armors and shields need a little more love. And costs should be a little lower.