Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Default Lagging? Rule out your system specs:

http://support.turbine.com/link/port...ements-for-DDO

Note the get of gaol free card: "* Note: Due to potential game changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time."

And if anyone from Turbine is reading this and these specs are now out of date for actual requirements to run the game then you might want to update this.

[edit: anyone wanting to check your specs type "dxdiag" in the Start menu search field.]
    Last edited by MeliCat; 01-02-2015 at 01:35 AM.
    ~ Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post

Note the get of gaol free card: "* Note: Due to potential game changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time."

And if anyone from Turbine is reading this and these specs are now out of date for actual requirements to run the game then you might want to update this.
    Looks like the minimum is still running, but they need to update recommended.:-)
    Last edited by Kipling; 01-01-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Community Member

Its not system specs when the entire party is lagging.

I'm lagging in groups with the full group lagging daily, needing to alt f4 and reconnect several times because my character keeps getting stuck.

Stystem Specs:

Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Intel I7 980
    12 Gb ram
    SLI GTX 970
    Game installed to SSD
    20 Mbit internet connection, speed test shows <100 ms ping and around 5 mbit WHILE DDO is running and lagging.

Its Turbine / their servers / their ISPs fault and they refuse to even acknowledge this problem.
    All my posts are trolled by autocorrect and the edit button not working on smartphone browsers. That's also why I make multiple posts in a row instead of editing.

Turbine varies their minimum requirements.

Every now and then they jack them WAY up so that a whole raid party's machines will fall below that line and they will get lagged out unless they're running some seriously high end, prototype hardware before lowering them.

I suspect, however, that if you were connected to one of their servers via crossover cable that you'd probably still lag out when everyone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post

I'm lagging in groups with the full group lagging daily, needing to alt f4 and reconnect several times because my character keeps getting stuck.

Stystem Specs:

Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Intel I7 980
    12 Gb ram
    SLI GTX 970
    Game installed to SSD
    20 Mbit internet connection, speed test shows <100 ms ping and around 5 mbit WHILE DDO is running and lagging.

Its Turbine / their servers / their ISPs fault and they refuse to even acknowledge this problem.
    One thing that everyone seems to forget in a game like this (MMORPG) is that every move you make has to be given not only to the server, but every other person in the instance you are in. So, if a single person in that instance may have bad hardware, slow connection, etc, it may (and I emphasis MAY here) effect every other person, especially if they are in visible distance, or in the part (for the minimap updates).

While I do believe there are some problems with the server, you are relying on everyone else to acknowledge they got your "location" update when you move.

Quote Originally Posted by Greantun View Post
    One thing that everyone seems to forget in a game like this (MMORPG) is that every move you make has to be given not only to the server, but every other person in the instance you are in. So, if a single person in that instance may have bad hardware, slow connection, etc, it may (and I emphasis MAY here) effect every other person, especially if they are in visible distance, or in the part (for the minimap updates).

While I do believe there are some problems with the server, you are relying on everyone else to acknowledge they got your "location" update when you move.
    And I would totally agree with you here, except for the fact that I have Guild mates from level 4 to 28 all reporting lag at the same time in Guild Chat. At what point is the person in the Harbor effecting the person in Kings Forest when they are not even in the same party?

Community Member

...This

I'm running on a system very similar to what DDOisFree has going, with the same connection speeds. You can claim "It's somebody in your party." but that doesn't explain locking up when running solo. No much explains why you have Market instance 1 or House J or House C lock up for EVERYBODY in the instance. You get a group of 20 players all trying to get close enough to the guild ship port just to leave the instance and some of you will still claim it's not Turbine's fault. How about when your in Gianthold and you get a wave of lag only to see in guild chat "We're frozen up in Necro, anybody else lagging?"

I've been playing this game regularly since U4 launched. I've run it on 3 different computers during that time, each more powerful than the previous. The lag Khyber is dealing with right now is the worst it's been since Demonweb first came out. The only times I've seen it worse is right before the server crashes completely. What's going on is NOT on the player end.

This is ridiculous. This has been ridiculous for the last 20 years but still people repeat this. The mind boggles.

Community Member

This is BS when just about every single person playing the game is affected by this lag.

If just one person in a group is lagging, all that would happen is that character would appear frozen to the rest of the group. Its a myth that the whole group is affected by one lagging person, the current and ongoing issue is purely Turbines fault and an issue with their servers, anyone that is currently playing the game would know this.
    All my posts are trolled by autocorrect and the edit button not working on smartphone browsers. That's also why I make multiple posts in a row instead of editing.

This is BS when just about every single person playing the game is affected by this lag.

If just one person in a group is lagging, all that would happen is that character would appear frozen to the rest of the group. Its a myth that the whole group is affected by one lagging person, the current and ongoing issue is purely Turbines fault and an issue with their servers, anyone that is currently playing the game would know this.
    Looks like he thinks this game uses the same p2p system that vindictus uses so if the leader (the one hosting the instance for the party) has bad upload then the whole group lags.

It doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Sorry, it is NOT a myth. I am a developer, and have worked on this type of system (though not in the gaming world). Granted, there has been a lot of work on this to make it better. However, since DDO is a 7 year old game, with the majority of the technology from then, I believe it is true.

This is a peer-to-peer communication system. Everybody in range has to talk to everyone else (maybe not directly) to get location information. If one of those people is not acknowledging that they received the information, or the server is waiting on information from then to update everyone else, then everyone will wait.

I do give you that that isn't the only problem, but it certainly can contribute to it. Server code it hard to get write from the start, and since this is old, updating it will even be harder.

I do believe that Turbine has to fix things, but am always amazed at how the players of the game can assume fixes are easy, without every having written code for a living.

Community Member

First, when DDO came out and had far more players no lag. Back in 2006, people have far crappier machines and slower internet. Most likely some new code introduced lag.
    Also lag happens if you're alone in a quest, doing solo. Unless you mean someone on the server has a slow machine and its causing the whole server slow down.

Sorry, it is NOT a myth. I am a developer, and have worked on this type of system (though not in the gaming world). Granted, there has been a lot of work on this to make it better. However, since DDO is a 7 year old game, with the majority of the technology from then, I believe it is true.

This is a peer-to-peer communication system. Everybody in range has to talk to everyone else (maybe not directly) to get location information. If one of those people is not acknowledging that they received the information, or the server is waiting on information from then to update everyone else, then everyone will wait.

I do give you that that isn't the only problem, but it certainly can contribute to it. Server code it hard to get write from the start, and since this is old, updating it will even be harder.

I do believe that Turbine has to fix things, but am always amazed at how the players of the game can assume fixes are easy, without every having written code for a living.
    No it is not a p2p system. It has a server we all connect too which we then send and recieve packets from. It is not p2p as then we would be connecting to each others clients like vindictus does or like elite dangerous does or utorrent etc.

If this was a peer to peer system we would all see an increase in our bandwidth usage when in raids etc. We do not connect in a p2p fashion.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 01-02-2015 at 12:04 AM.
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

So you're kind of advocating a "link your hardware specs" thing in the lfm panel? Same as we used to do with DR breakers?

Interesting. As we move into the age of virtualisation this is going to be a key problem to solve - so surely some work has been done in this direction already? Could it be that some code is dependant on very old solutions that don't work?

Regardless it means that they still be able to perform at their minimum stated specs and if they not up to date in the information given us, then update this. Also they should outright prevent people from logging on without at least minimum specs. They already have fairly invasive SW on our machines, surely some sort of query as to HW isn't that much worse.

They've stated time and again that there are multiple different sources of lag. Could be true here too still. I don't think that it's straight up people's rigs that are doing it necessarily but its good to rule that out.
    ~ Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

So you're kind of advocating a "link your hardware specs" thing in the lfm panel? Same as we used to do with DR breakers?

Interesting. As we move into the age of virtualisation this is going to be a key problem to solve - so surely some work has been done in this direction already? Could it be that some code is dependant on very old solutions that don't work?

Regardless it means that they still be able to perform at their minimum stated specs and if they not up to date in the information given us, then update this. Also they should outright prevent people from logging on without at least minimum specs. They already have fairly invasive SW on our machines, surely some sort of query as to HW isn't that much worse.

They've stated time and again that there are multiple different sources of lag. Could be true here too still. I don't think that it's straight up people's rigs that are doing it necessarily but its good to rule that out.

Ofc lag can be on our end because of low end hardware, it can be a bad internet connection but it can also be the servers or their connection to the net. I am in a Australian based guild but I live in canada. Many of the guildies have lag which is due to their latency and ping.

I see this often, wife and I enter quest then go start hot water for coffee or get a beer while down under guildy "loads in", he is lagging I see him on my screen yet on his he is not loaded in yet. This is lag on his part due to his latency/ping. There are even a few that have older pc so they lag at times...point is it doesn't affect my wife or myself and often guildy will ask us, "Are you lagging?" to see if its on his end.

Sure if you upgrade your pc because it's old you may see improvements especially if your pc was struggling with the game, thing is though anyone with a newish quad core pc shouldn't have lag issues cause of their pc hardware.

Dunno but saying lagg is due to p2p is just ....no.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 01-02-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Also, CTRL-F gives your current framerate. Ping google.com -t shows the state of your internet connection (for the most part) If you're running 120fps across 3 monitors, have no dropped packets, a 50ms ping to google and yet you are rubber banding in game with a 900ms yellow icon... It aint you.
    I used to play Mechwarrior and Tribes, so I embrace the lag.

It's not me, it's them (yes my rig is better than the recommended requirements bla bla). I'm glad I only subed for 3 months when coming back, I've played almost 100 hours since starting over this winter break (according to Steam at least) and have experienced game breaking lag about 5-6 times both solo and in parties, and have always double checked with guildies and a good part of them were experiencing the same lag at the same time.

My guess is one or a couple of their servers is broken / can't handle the load / has old hardware / whatever and depending on what instances that server is hosting whoever is "lucky" enough to be paired up with it will just lag. The idea that one player can lag the rest is kind of ridiculous imho, if that were true and had always been true this problem would have always been so prevalent. Most likely it's either a problem with their machines or with recent code, either way it's their problem to handle and it would be encouraging to see them at least acknowledge it and look for the weak link.

The other night I was in a party of 3 and we all couldn't move. The second one of our party members died the lag completely went away. This happened twice in the same quest.Now I'm not saying this is the only lag I see. I do rubberband solo from time to time and freeze up on occasion.
    Eternal Champions of Argo

Community Member

Yeah. The Ram is a joke.

You will get dumped with low ram unless you run XP with those specs.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

to whoever says "if you have a crappy pc, you lag, therefore other players in your party will lag" is false

if that would work that way, that would have never progressed

as example, gimpdorah uses to crash, a lot, zoning here, zoning there

did that happen before u24? nope

does he cause me any type of lag? nope

however i use to lag a lot, i mean, the "100 favor mark" it's not only false, it's a dumb idea, i lag and dunno why yet, i've been playing real games, but real i mean no joke graphics like ddo, and had no lag, also is true the game had real servers, not pnp ones

like i was saying, ah true, when i'm lagging (for example surrounded by mobs in black loch, with a nice red da in the zombie opt, which btw gets completed while there're some zombies alive, you can't open the chest while they're alive, which shows us the quality programming ddo) my party mates don't lag, at all

so you may say "in that case it's your pc" and i would say... lol? 1st you say that lagging players cause the party lag, if there's only 1 player lagging then its the player's pc... ok i think i got it, we don't know who's the fault, but lot of players seem to be pretty sure that's not ddo's fault

which is quite silly, you can get 0 lag and 0 crashes, and that only means 1 thing: you have been lucky

i NEVER crashed when zoning in a wilderness before u24, now i could crash the 4 times i could zone in orchard (to use the port) so yes, it's my fault or my pc, which btw sucks a lot, but if someone has a little clue about programming and pc, at 2015 i think, they should already know it's a false statement, as example, when i started playing ddo i was using my neighbour wifi which meant my internet connection SUCKED, and never got that many lags nor crashing, in fact i never needed to use the preloader til u23 patch2

**** like that is what makes turbine avoid announcing ddo as a game, cause the bad feedback would sink turbine and WB, just that simple, even browser games have more professional workers on it, and by professional i mean people capable of thinking before acting

here you have a comparison:

my graphics vs the genius programming ddo (btw, quest got bugged twice, 1st try at 7:40 the game thought our engine was broken, tried repairing helm and nothing, on 2nd try it got broken at 4:30, this time repairing the helm worked so we the ship managed to get boarded by tew, btw in the 1st try there was no message from tew, just by engine)

yup, these awesome graphics are made to separate between delay and lag, it's not like i played ddo by its awesome graphics
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast