Default The Importance of Memorial Day 2013 - Our Tribute to the Fallen Heroes.

This year, the Tyrs Paladium guild will take our Memorial Day tribute private, once again. We would like to share this thread however, with our veterans, their families and friends, and the entire DDO community.

The Annual Luminaria Tribute, Fredericksburg, Virginia. Honoring the Fallen

--**--

Staff Sgt. Romesha received the Medal of Honor in 2013 for his courageous actions while serving as a Section Leader with Bravo Troop, 3d Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division during combat operations against an armed enemy at Combat Outpost Keating, Kamdesh District, Nuristan Province, Afghanistan on October 3, 2009.

A Tribute Video to Staff Sgt. Romesha

--**--

A powerful and beautiful video I produced for a previous Memorial Day multi-server event.

Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae is popularly believed to have written it on 3 May 1915, after he witnessed the death of his friend, Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, 22 years old, the day before. The poem was first published on 8 December of that year in the London-based magazine Punch.

In Flanders Field

--**--

DDO's very own Bekki's unforgettable performance of the POW*MIA Remembrance Table ceremony. It's a must listen folks.

POW*MIA ceremony

--**--

Why have we made our Veteran's Day and Memorial Day tributes public? I'll let Dad answer that one.

Dad's letter reminder of importance of Memorial Day

On this Memorial Day, to feel the full effects of the sacrifices our soldiers have made for us, I ask all of you to take just one moment to silently gaze upon the graves in your local cemetery. Each one of those small American Flags (or flag from whatever free nation you are from) represents not only that person’s service to the military, but also their service to each and every one of us. They gave all they had to give, and we owe our freedom, our happiness, and our lives in gratitude.

Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 05-23-2013 at 11:18 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

i'd like to mention some lines from Halo, which i believe are relatable to this.
    *bows his head in respect*

Admiral Hood: "For us, the storm has passed... the war is over. But let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark and did not return. For their decision required courage beyond measure; sacrifice, and unshakable conviction that their fight... our fight, was elsewhere. They ennobled all of us, and they shall not be forgotten."

"May the flamin' force be with you!"

Memorial day again. Oorah to all the active duty Marines out there. Thanks for everything over the years.

Thanks to all of the service members present and past, thank you to the families of the men and women who serve, without you they couldn't do it...without you they might not feel they needed to.

I wish all those who see this a lifetime of peace health and happiness and perhaps someday a world without war.

Semper Fi
    Generic SIgnature #42

Thelanis - Guild: Solo Artists - Characters: Several

most of us would like to see such a world.
    but the sad truth about war is that...
    war never changes.
    "May the flamin' force be with you!"

We'll dedicate our tribute to:

"A couple years ago, we got news that my brother, Adam Olin Smith, was killed in a helicopter accident over in Afghanistan. Shortly after that, I gave birth to a baby boy and named him Olin to honor my brother. It makes me sad that Olin will never get to meet his uncle, but he'll have plenty of people around to tell him how great Adam was." -nebularose

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by doomboy View Post
    most of us would like to see such a world.
    but the sad truth about war is that...
    war never changes.
    Nonsense. Everything changes. The percentage of people who die violently is decreasing. The developed world is much more connected and cautious with its fat peers than it used to be. Conditions and education in undeveloped countries will continue to improve and with it will come fewer wars.

Will war end forever any time soon? No. But I think a full century with no major conflicts is much closer than you think.

Can you really look at where we were 50 million years ago, then look at 50 million years in the future and think, "Yeah, everything I consider a societal constant today will exist then. We won't all be dead or back to hunter-gatherers or a space-faring utopia."
    Thelanis: Takhysys, Tenauch, Vitriolus, Kalav, Leprous

Well done M. Well done indeed.

Thanks to all who have served and are serving now.

/salute

Thac0

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno346 View Post
    Nonsense. Everything changes. The percentage of people who die violently is decreasing. The developed world is much more connected and cautious with its fat peers than it used to be. Conditions and education in undeveloped countries will continue to improve and with it will come fewer wars.

Will war end forever any time soon? No. But I think a full century with no major conflicts is much closer than you think.

Can you really look at where we were 50 million years ago, then look at 50 million years in the future and think, "Yeah, everything I consider a societal constant today will exist then. We won't all be dead or back to hunter-gatherers or a space-faring utopia."
    I like your positive outlook, if only it were as infectious as the plague
    Generic SIgnature #42

Thelanis - Guild: Solo Artists - Characters: Several

Thanks to all those who have given their all so we might enjoy the lives we have. /bow
    There is no free lunch.

glad to see that you're still honoring those who have fallen.
    Since it's gone private, I'll be with ya'll in spirit.

Thank you to all who have served and to those who have sacrificed their bodies and minds.
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Thank you to all those that serve and have served.
    They give so much so that we may be free.

/Salute.
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)