Community Member

Default Druid animal forms and two weapon fighting?

When in animal form, is a Druid attacking twice, in other words once with each paw?

If so, then is the game giving the Druid TWF feats automatically, or does a Druid need to fit those feats into their build somehow?

I ask this because my Druid went the Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave route right now for Staff of the Seer (he's 2 Monk, 6 Druid right now). He does just fine with the staff, prolly for the next SEVERAL levels.

But someone suggested that at 20 I'll want to switch to handwraps like Grave Wrappings and wolf form instead. That sounds well and good IF I also get the TWF feats in animal form. But if not I definitely don't have the Dex requirement or Feats to take that line, and a 20% offhand proc rate is unacceptable.

Please let me know what I'm missing. Thanks.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    When in animal form, is a Druid attacking twice, in other words once with each paw?

If so, then is the game giving the Druid TWF feats automatically, or does a Druid need to fit those feats into their build somehow?

I ask this because my Druid went the Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave route right now for Staff of the Seer (he's 2 Monk, 6 Druid right now). He does just fine with the staff, prolly for the next SEVERAL levels.

But someone suggested that at 20 I'll want to switch to handwraps like Grave Wrappings and wolf form instead. That sounds well and good IF I also get the TWF feats in animal form. But if not I definitely don't have the Dex requirement or Feats to take that line, and a 20% offhand proc rate is unacceptable.

Please let me know what I'm missing. Thanks.
    The problem with handwraps of any kind is that they occupy both weapon slots. If you opt for a one-handed weapon you are able to use, then you can put a shield or another weapon in your off-hand to get some additional spell power or other enchantments that are useful.

I've got a level 25 wolf form druid, half elf, with monk dilettante. She uses a green steel, Ash2 kama in her main hand, and (for now) a crafted kama in her off-hand with glaciation 66 and some kind of ice lore. Her primary destiny is Grandmaster of Flowers, which is fun, but there are plenty of other ways you could go. Lots of people like an animal form druid with a shield and shield mastery/improved shield mastery. The nice thing about a shield is it would be easier to get spell power enhancements on it because getting spell power on a kama is a royal pain.

The TWF & THF feats have no effect on animal-form atks. What boosts your DPS are doublestrike bonuses from Natural Fighting and Shield Mastery OR Wind stance (obviously you can't have both as using a shield uncenters you); your combat stance (i.e., Power Atk or Precision); and Imp Crit Blunt (animal atks count as unarmed so they fall under Blunt weapons).
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Community Member

One thing I specifically had in mind are Grave Wrappings. I'm really enjoying those on my 21 pure Monk, but was curious about wolf form.

Would the special effects from Grave Wrappings still happen at 20+ in Wolf Form?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    One thing I specifically had in mind are Grave Wrappings. I'm really enjoying those on my 21 pure Monk, but was curious about wolf form.

Would the special effects from Grave Wrappings still happen at 20+ in Wolf Form?
    Yes, the negative levels would still proc, which is why I made an Ash2 kama for my druid: I did not want to give up the off-hand slot to handwraps (but I considered it) and I still wanted the negative level effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Yes, the negative levels would still proc, which is why I made an Ash2 kama for my druid: I did not want to give up the off-hand slot to handwraps (but I considered it) and I still wanted the negative level effects.
    You could use a http://ddowiki.com/page/Sacrificial_Dagger and still keep a shield equipped. One of the guys in my guild does this with his wolf druid and it performs well.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyputrid View Post
    You could use a http://ddowiki.com/page/Sacrificial_Dagger and still keep a shield equipped. One of the guys in my guild does this with his wolf druid and it performs well.
    Good point. However for my druid, it would not work because you cannot remain centered while having a dagger equipped. It may be that I will change her to a shield-user in her next life and, if so, I will definitely keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Good point. However for my druid, it would not work because you cannot remain centered while having a dagger equipped. It may be that I will change her to a shield-user in her next life and, if so, I will definitely keep this in mind.
    Was trying to edit my post to reflect that it wouldn't jive with monk levels, but these new forums don't seem to like edits. Anyway, it works real good, plan on doing this with my wolf druid at 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleckislaupir View Post
    The TWF & THF feats have no effect on animal-form atks. What boosts your DPS are doublestrike bonuses from Natural Fighting and Shield Mastery OR Wind stance (obviously you can't have both as using a shield uncenters you); your combat stance (i.e., Power Atk or Precision); and Imp Crit Blunt (animal atks count as unarmed so they fall under Blunt weapons).
    This is so good it needs to be said twice.

If a player is going to use animal form then absolutely, under no circumstance, pick up the TWF feat line. And, even though it seems counter-intuitive, unarmed attacks are improved by IC bludgeon and not IC slash or IC pierce.

Finally, double-strike is your friend. This is why so many builds recommend taking Natural Fighting as often as you can from the moment it becomes available to you.

Great post.