Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Search and Disarm - new "feature"

Might be a bit of a "fight club" report, and maybe it's already been reported somewhere...

...Since the update, if I start to Search or Disarm and then move or swap gear etc. to cancel the action, the game makes the roll immediately, instantly completing the search/ DD action without having to wait for the animation and progress bar to complete.

So... if it's a "feature" what's your bet on the time frame to fix this? Years? Months? Days? Hours?

Or is this WAI?

=====================
    UPDATE

*Looks like this applies to nearly anything that has a progress bar (e.g. recalling, opening chests, opening doors, flicking switches etc.)

*Requires the progress bar to be a small way through to work - approx 1/4. Cancelling very very early seems to work as it used to (i.e. the action stops).

*PSA: if flicking a switch is a quest objective, using this trick will bork it - the switch will be activated, but the objective will not be fulfilled. E.g. use this on one of the runes in Xorian Cipher and the portal will close, but the count of the number of portals left to close on the optional will not go down and that optional will not longer be completable.

*PSA 2: being interrupted by getting damaged while performing an action with a progress bar will have the effects described above (i.e. action completes immediately & if quest objective, you're screwed)
    Last edited by Hutoth; 05-24-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: UPDATED
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Hutoth View Post
    Might be a bit of a "fight club" report, and maybe it's already been reported somewhere...

...Since the update, if I start to Search or Disarm and then move or swap gear etc. to cancel the action, the game makes the roll immediately, instantly completing the search/ DD action without having to wait for the animation and progress bar to complete.

So... if it's a "feature" what's your bet on the time frame to fix this? Years? Months? Days? Hours?

Or is this WAI?
    In another thread someone was mentioning that trying to cancel the action during a recall would result in immediately recalling. I'm guessing there's some sort of error that is causing actions to execute immediately when they would normally be canceled. This could use some more testing with other abilities that can normally be interrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    In another thread someone was mentioning that trying to cancel the action during a recall would result in immediately recalling. I'm guessing there's some sort of error that is causing actions to execute immediately when they would normally be canceled. This could use some more testing with other abilities that can normally be interrupted.
    I wonder if that would work for spell casting. IE. Start casting Circle of death - swap gear - circle fires immediately.

I was thinking it would only be with skills but the recall thing has me thinking it might be bigger than that.

Community Member

Did you take quicken?

Ontop it really really doesn't sound WAI.

LOL yes it's not so much getting interrupted it is just reducing the casting time by eliminating the animation.

A good example might be the Cleric Aura or summoning a pet. Can we start that - swap gear - and get it instantly?

Just wondering if it's an individual systemic issue or a global one.

Community Member

My first suspicion would be that it's the cancellation of something with a progress bar instead completes it.

I am thinking that too but it would be good to test it.

Could be an issue with the code that manages a progress bar OR it could be an issue with the code that interrupts/cancels an action.

If it's the latter, well if you thought twitch Melee was a problem you won't have seen anything yet! LOL

Community Member

Just had a box disable cancel on moving, and then next try moving completed it. Also works on opening chests. ETA: But apparently not switches.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    You know what could be interrupted before? Using the locked levers in Tomb of the Forbidden. Anyone tried it since the update?

Intentionally nerf some minor thing that helped players...with huge unintended side-effects? Nah, could never happen, right?

I'm getting cynical in my old age or something.

All things like this are actually working as intended. Until we are told they are not, but no company in it's right mind admits they break more things then intend.
    Just take the invis being broke for so so so so long. And this patch fixing invisibility, but the official response was something like: it wasn't invis that was broke it was this and this that was causing it not to work.

Community Member

Looking like it may also depend on when in the usage animation you attempt to interrupt. For animations with an "intro" before the "looping" you will interrupt instead of complete during the "intro". For example, you can't complete summoning the iron defender before the kneeling is done. Searching is just one loop without intro and so will complete right away. Using a valve won't complete till you bring your hands back up to the mid-air fiddling.

Community Member

Aha, don't use the completion-by-interrupt on switches that complete quest objectives. I just borked WW that way.

And mobs do seem to be hearing things properly again, which was the reason for Invis not working. They don't just stand there as their compatriots get sniped but instead look at them, you can sneak past things again. I'll have to find some sleeping mobs and see if they're now waking up before you start pounding on them now.

Community Member

Hmm, interrupting disabling boxes looks like it might also deprive you of trap parts. Not a big thing, but if you want parts it's something to look out for.

Updated OP
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Community Member

/death is also auto-completed by moving, I guess Turbine buffed the poison pill every adventurer is standard-issued

Sadly, summoning hirelings (and im guessing arti/druid pets) is NOT auto-completed by moving, would be nice to instant-summon those at the start of quests.

Community Member

Armor switching not completed on interrupting, but you can't jump while equipping. I don't recall if it was like that before or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    You know what could be interrupted before? Using the locked levers in Tomb of the Forbidden. Anyone tried it since the update?

Intentionally nerf some minor thing that helped players...with huge unintended side-effects? Nah, could never happen, right?

I'm getting cynical in my old age or something.
    Yea, tried it yesterday, still works as before.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Since interrupting is actually desirable sometimes, like if you've forgotten a chest and you want to stop recalling, is there another action you can take besides moving to stop it?
    Haha. Tried logging out to properly interrupt it, but that just insta-completed the recall and left me with an unstoppable logout bar.
    Searching, sneaking and tumbling all completed the recall as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast