Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Cosmetic Hats / Helmets - reduced usefulness

Whereas it is nice to have an extra slot to store one of these, they have been seriously reduced in usefulness by being made Daily 1 items. I would switch between my Elite Spider Cult Mask and Glowing Circlet as the situation warranted it - now I can only use each one once between rests.

As both of these items have been obtained using real money, I think this change is wrong - you've effectively taken away functionality I have paid for.

Also, the implementation isn't all that slick - I'd expect the one I place in the cosmetic slot to always show on my character, and when I activate others from my inventory/hotbar, their bonus would apply, but the appearance wouldn't now change. Instead, the first click now changes appearance by swapping into the cosmetic slot and the second click activates it.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Yip, it's losing the +1 Profane skill bonus from my Elite Spider Cult Mask that pretty much guarantees that I'll never use this feature. Pity, could have been something that I'd play around with.

Community Member

Ugh! I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Previously they were unlimited uses. Grrr! This definitely makes me reluctant to buy cosmetic hats with real money in the future.

This decision must have been made by the same genius who thought that Eternal Flasks should share the same cooldown counter. Can someone in Turbine please make a counter argument when this guy makes suggestions in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Yip, it's losing the +1 Profane skill bonus from my Elite Spider Cult Mask that pretty much guarantees that I'll never use this feature. Pity, could have been something that I'd play around with.
    Click the mask to equip it, then click it again to activate the bonus. It's stupid and tedious, but once it's on it doesn't exactly go away. I'll double check if removing the mask gets rid of the bonus to make sure, but you don't lose the benefit.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    Click the mask to equip it, then click it again to activate the bonus. It's stupid and tedious, but once it's on it doesn't exactly go away. I'll double check if removing the mask gets rid of the bonus to make sure, but you don't lose the benefit.
    *Facepalm* Okay, cool. You don't lose the benefit of the spider mask buff even if you swap to a different cosmetic item. So long as you don't activate any buff on the new cosmetic item. Nice one.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    what's also stupid and tedious is it also resets the display helmet flag to on, regardless of what it was when you logged out. except for 1 or 2 characters, I hate the look of the spider mask but I do want the boosts it provides. so before yesterday, all those characters were set to display helmet and goggles "off". when I logged in, I clicked on the mask icon in my tray and the bonuses were activated, WITHOUT flipping display helm back to on.

unless someone has found a work around, every time I log in I have to:

click the mask icon, which moves it into the cosmetic slot and display the ugly thing on my character
    click the mack icon again to actually turn on the bonuses
    go into the character sheet and remove it from the cosmetic slot and/or toggle the helm space from display on to display helm and goggles off

and heaven forbid I swap out helms because then I get to go through all of this again

there has to be a better way because this is crazy and will probably result in the masks going into the bank and gather dust. their bonus is nice but not worth all the hassle now

Default Imo...

...I would like to see two separate equipment layouts...one for what you're actually wearing and one for items that have graphics. So if you were wearing blue armor, but liked the look of green you could just slot a set of green armor in the cosmetic section. An alternative would be to have a NPC take the looks from one item and the stats from another and merge the two, destroying both but making a single item with the graphics you want and the effects you need.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    what's also stupid and tedious is it also resets the display helmet flag to on, regardless of what it was when you logged out. except for 1 or 2 characters, I hate the look of the spider mask but I do want the boosts it provides. so before yesterday, all those characters were set to display helmet and goggles "off". when I logged in, I clicked on the mask icon in my tray and the bonuses were activated, WITHOUT flipping display helm back to on.

click the mask icon, which moves it into the cosmetic slot and display the ugly thing on my character
    go into the character sheet and remove it from the cosmetic slot and/or toggle the helm space from display on to display helm and goggles off

and heaven forbid I swap out helms because then I get to go through all of this again

there has to be a better way because this is crazy and will probably result in the masks going into the bank and gather dust. their bonus is nice but not worth all the hassle now
    Changing your helmet doesn't affect the buff from cosmetic items any more.

What I'm doing after the pointer from Nighmanis is:
    1. Equipping and then activating my Elite Spider Cult Mask
    2. Equipping the Ninja Mask

I can then change my helmet around as I like and it doesn't affect the cosmetic appearance at all. I have both masks on a toolbar out of the way, you can just click them on and activate them from there, they automatically go to the cosmetic head slot. It's actually very workable, I'm liking where they're going with it.

Founder

Changing your helmet doesn't affect the buff from cosmetic items any more.

What I'm doing after the pointer from Nighmanis is:
    1. Equipping and then activating my Elite Spider Cult Mask
    2. Equipping the Ninja Mask

I can then change my helmet around as I like and it doesn't affect the cosmetic appearance at all. I have both masks on a toolbar out of the way, you can just click them on and activate them from there, they automatically go to the cosmetic head slot. It's actually very workable, I'm liking where they're going with it.
    but you are switching between one cosmetic item and another and apparently to a cosmetic item that you want displayed. go see what hoops you now have to go through if you want to take advantage of the +skills from the spider mask but don't want to look at it and don't have a second cosmetic item you want to override it.

before the update, the game remembered by display setting for helm as - don't display anything. I would log in and click on the spider mask in my toolbar and I was done. 1 click and that was it. I got my +skill boost and I did not see the mask on my character

now what do I have to do. log in; click on mask on my tool bar; does this activate it -- nope, it puts it in the cosmetic slot and displays it on my character; then I have to click it again to activate it. if I don't want to see the mask on my character, I now have to either type in commands to stop displaying it or I have to go to the rag doll on the character sheet and click through the options to get back to don't display helms or goggles.

sorry, but that is a really lousy way to program this. and a complete hassle every time you log in.

Default That sounds like a bug

before the update, the game remembered by display setting for helm as - don't display anything.
    That (not being the behavior now) sounds like a bug. Have you reported it?

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

the display bug is more than frustratingly annoying.

Did the spider mask loose the profane +1 bonus???? I paid money for that mask. seriously wrong if it did.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    the display bug is more than frustratingly annoying.

Did the spider mask loose the profane +1 bonus???? I paid money for that mask. seriously wrong if it did.
    the +1 bonus is still there but I have to click on it twice, instead of once, each time I log in. the first time I click on its icon in my toolbar, it moves the mask to the cosmetic slot on your character screen but does NOT activate the bonus. the second time you click on it, while it is in the cosmetic slot, it activates the bonus.

that first click also causes it to always turn your display setting for head setting to "display helmet on" so it shows the mask. if you don't want to see the mask, then you have to remove it from the cosmetic slot and change your head setting back to do not show either helmet or goggles.

I would assume this is "WAI" because obviously, if we click on a cosmetic item, we want that cosmetic item to display on our character

Community Member

that first click also causes it to always turn your display setting for head setting to "display helmet on" so it shows the mask. if you don't want to see the mask, then you have to remove it from the cosmetic slot and change your head setting back to do not show either helmet or goggles.
    I've found it's enough to just change the head setting to show neither helmet nor goggles, even while the mask is still in the cosmetic helmet slot.

My personal complaint is: Even if I make NO CHANGES to my slots, when I log out and then back in the helmet display is re-enabled, and I have to do those few clicks again on the char sheet.

Once I do so, I can activate the mask without it reappearing on the character.

Indeed the shift towards implementing cosmetics differently is probably my favorite feature of U18. I always loved the appearance of the Top Hat on one of my characters but still wanted to the benefit from the Drow Mask. Now I can have both.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I like the new cosmetic system including the change to the spider mask and other clickies. I like being able to put the spider mask or bunny hat effect on and then put a different helmet or cosmetic helm look on. That way I get the effect I want and the look I want at the same time. I do see how it's definitely worse for people that often switched between cosmetic effects as you can't really do that anymore. I suppose they could have just as easily made it 10, 20 or 50 clickies per rest or just made it recharge like eternal wands. It would have been the best of both systems
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    I suppose they could have just as easily made it 10, 20 or 50 clickies per rest or just made it recharge like eternal wands.
    The eternal wand system would be pretty nice but I just don't see a need yet to click it more than once when I log in.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

I'm upset with the new spider mask. I feel as though they should have not changed it. I brought that as a special item and paid money for the pre-purchase. I completely understand the need to change things up, but not what I purchased already. The new stuff is what should be changing. I'm sad with the armour kits also going away, not that I have many of them, but it's nice not having to click and reclick every freakin' thing, ya know? :|

Community Member adam1oftheround's Avatar

Angry Nerfed in Two Parts: Limited Uses then removing the cosmetic

1. I would like the unlimited uses restored.
    2. I do not want to have to toggle off the cosmetic mask every time I activate it. I turned it off on purpose, I do not want to have to turn it off every time I log in, and again every time I use the mask.

Community Member adam1oftheround's Avatar

Red face People In This Thread Each Paid Cash To Get This Item

These customers paid for the pre-release exclusive item and are your long time cash money customer base. Their feedback should be treated as a top priority. They were promised this item as part of the purchase, and now you are changing it or nerfing it. Please do right by these customers who have laid down their cash to support the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Indeed the shift towards implementing cosmetics differently is probably my favorite feature of U18. I always loved the appearance of the Top Hat on one of my characters but still wanted to the benefit from the Drow Mask. Now I can have both.

I too don't understand the perceived problem here.

I can wear whatever I want and still benefit from the Drow mask without having to re-click it. I also like that I can now wear my lucky cap as a cosmetic item and still wear whatever headgear I want 'under' it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast