Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    The real problem is, it's a named item that's WORSE than a rather easy-to-get (usually can get a good one on the AH for 10k plat or less, last time I leveled a caster) lootgen item of the same level.
    I didn't see any staves on the AH that would really help a cleric out that are better. Most of those lore staves on the AH help direct damage for arcane casters and not as much for divine casters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    I didn't see any staves on the AH that would really help a cleric out that are better. Most of those lore staves on the AH help direct damage for arcane casters and not as much for divine casters.
    Radiance & Devotion with healing lore would be better.

Your point that the named staff has higher spell power in its one line than a t-staff has in its two lines crumbles into dust as soon as you take level 16.

For a necro cleric, greater necro focus is nice but not required by any means. Having recently leveled a necro cleric (and I was WAY too in love with the instak-kills, heh) I didn't bother with any spell focus items at all except iron dragon cloak @ 16 and adamantine dragon cloak @ 24. That was the sum total of my spell focus items.

In my hands I carried a scepter of healing (slotted with devotion) and dalorent's seal (slotted with impulse). I didn't even bother with nullification at all until holy symbol of lolth at 21.

That staff is pretty clearly a pale master stick, since necro clerics very rarely actually use nullification. (Damage on saved insta-kill, and harming pale masters.) Pale masters are the only ones who use nullification offensively, with necrotic ray. For pale masters, the better option is a t-staff with nullification, their chosen element, and lore on either.

Sorry, every piece of lootin this pack is garbage
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Radiance & Devotion with healing lore would be better.

Your point that the named staff has higher spell power in its one line than a t-staff has in its two lines crumbles into dust as soon as you take level 16.

For a necro cleric, greater necro focus is nice but not required by any means. Having recently leveled a necro cleric (and I was WAY too in love with the instak-kills, heh) I didn't bother with any spell focus items at all except iron dragon cloak @ 16 and adamantine dragon cloak @ 24. That was the sum total of my spell focus items.

In my hands I carried a scepter of healing (slotted with devotion) and dalorent's seal (slotted with impulse). I didn't even bother with nullification at all until holy symbol of lolth at 21.

That staff is pretty clearly a pale master stick, since necro clerics very rarely actually use nullification. (Damage on saved insta-kill, and harming pale masters.) Pale masters are the only ones who use nullification offensively, with necrotic ray. For pale masters, the better option is a t-staff with nullification, their chosen element, and lore on either.
    Radiance isn't something I use on my cleric outside of bosses usually and can just swap weapons as needed. It's not like I'm glued to one weapon. Devotion can be slotted in the red slot to go with the necro focus because I don't rely on heal crits and it's not a good idea for anyone else to either - it's too unpredictable.

It's clearly not just a pale master stick because the word pale master is inscribed nowhere on it. For a necro cleric this isn't trash because the focus is, in your own words, "nice". It doesn't become bad for clerics just because you decided that it should be a weapon specifically for pale masters.

Iron dragon cloak would be trash compared to the staff and your ML24 adamantine dragon cloak barely beats it out looking at the actual abilities on the item but most certainly is not available an ML15. The only benefit those cloaks really provide over it is a different equipment slot and stealth strike. I can see a distinct advantage with lore on thaumaturgy staves, but the higher ML cloaks with weaker effects not so much.

You talk about this staff as trash, and then bringing up an epic item that has +3 implement bonus over it and the same DC bonus. I'd swear players seem to think things are trash just because they don't add to the power creep. A plus 2 necro DC staff is a +2 necro DC item and has it's place for players looking for the DC bonus. The fact other items exist with a DC bonus doesn't really make that effect on this staff worthless.

Radiance isn't something I use on my cleric outside of bosses
    You use nullification more than radiance? Really?

I don't rely on heal crits and it's not a good idea for anyone else to either - it's too unpredictable.
    Crits are for aura.

Iron dragon cloak would be trash compared to the staff and your ML24 adamantine dragon cloak barely beats it out looking at the actual abilities on the item but most certainly is not available an ML15. The only benefit those cloaks really provide over it is a different equipment slot and stealth strike. I can see a distinct advantage with lore on thaumaturgy staves, but the higher ML cloaks with weaker effects not so much.
    It's an odd cleric indeed who only uses necromancy. My necro cleric uses necromancy, evocation, enchantment and conjuration.

New cloak as well.
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It was causing server-crippling lag due to an issue with how much kobolds hate boxes.

Crits are for aura.

It's an odd cleric indeed who only uses necromancy. My necro cleric uses necromancy, evocation, enchantment and conjuration.
    I use slay living and destruction more than I use light based spells at those levels. It's not like nimbus of light and searing light are my go to spells, and divine punishment is for things that don't die quickly.

I swap weapons when I want something different and sometimes I want DC bonuses to necro spells. That staff seems is a pretty straight forward bonus to those DC's, which is why it isn't complete trash.

At no point did I say I only used necromancy, which just crossed you over into strawman territory.

And crits for the aura aren't too bad but still not worth any real focus. Either the aura is keeping up or it's not, and if it's not healing spells will completely outshine it, or item healing between fights instead. Healing crits are a minor consideration, not a major one. I would definitely take something that kills things faster over a bonus on healing crits for my aura.

If you want to call it trash you really need to come up with something better than using your epic ML24 cloak for the same necro DC bonus as the ML 15 elite version of the staff.

I use slay living and destruction more than I use light based spells at those levels.
    Nullification does nothing for either unless they fail. What do you use nullification for? Cast a lot of harm, do you?

At no point did I say I only used necromancy, which just crossed you over into strawman territory.
    And yet you REPEAT:
    If you want to call it trash you really need to come up with something better than using your epic ML24 cloak for the same necro DC bonus as the ML 15 elite version of the staff.
    That is you saying that only necromancy matters.

Thanks for collecting this together ^^

I think its fine gear for those who are starting the game for the first time at lvl 15 with an iconic. They won't have a Voice from delera's so the ioun stone is a cool alternative, especially with the +40 vitality. They'll just be starting to collect named gear. They won't actually have anything to compare it to except what comes as their starting gear. Everyone's got to start somewhere. Let's face it, this update and the expansion is not aimed at the vets but at getting new people into the game. Of course, whether it succeeds or not is an entirely different thread so i'm going to meander off and snag that last piece of pizza in the box.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Crits are for aura.

Lets see he points out ways the staff might be useful and clearly not the trash some people want to say it is, and you start the lead in to make this about his character build...

That's not familiar territory at all for you is it Ellis? When proven wrong, make it about the other persons "gimpy" (because it might not be how you do it) build and continue attacking as though you still have a point...

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Default Nightsinger

Shadow of a Doubt drops an item called the Nightsinger's Mantle according to the wiki. Can anyone link a picture of the item or explain what the "Nightsinger" effect on the cloak is? This information is not available on the wiki yet, and I would love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Shadow of a Doubt drops an item called the Nightsinger's Mantle according to the wiki. Can anyone link a picture of the item or explain what the "Nightsinger" effect on the cloak is? This information is not available on the wiki yet, and I would love to know.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Fantastic. Thank you SirShen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    I agree. I will also mention that "Nightsinger" may in fact be the single most useless "Bard" effect in the history of the game. 1 out of every 20 times you cast a SONIC spell your target will be blinded for 6 seconds? Sonic spells are basically completely useless due to their low DPS and the low DCs achievable by bards in general due to their maximum level of 6 for spells. That, plus low sp bars means that for the bard who is continually casting greater shout and whatever else is on this list of spells (making a noob mistake by doing so), running out of sp, maybe 1 time per quest their target may be blinded, and for only 6 seconds.

If these are the new types of effects we are getting will there be a new one for fighters that has a 5% chance per vorpal hit of adding one point of sonic damage to their damage, but only while using blunt weapons?
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say they're all garbage, but they lack any sort of "wow factor". In general, there isn't much on these new items that we can't get through loot gen. The items that actually have some sort of new interesting ability are more annoying than functional. Mob blind for 6 seconds? Not the worst thing ever, but we have other way more useful blind effects that don't also come with an annoying drawback. 1 sec blind on self is just that. It's not a problem, it's just annoying. Working debuffs into items could be a great way to add more power as compensation, but in this case it seems we have an ok item with a drawback that is just pure annoyance.

The cloak is similarly meh. 1 in 20 chance of a very short duration blindness? This is the sort of minor ability that gets tacked onto an item that is already interesting. It's not something that should be the main attraction of an item. If it's a 1 in 20 chance, why not permanent blindness? Or at least a 30 second duration? It's not a horrible item, but just lacks some sort of component that makes me actually want to go out of my way to get one.

Now I'm not complaining that this pack doesn't have the new ESoS or anything. I just would have liked to see some items that got me excited to run the content.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Does the pale green ioun stones vitality +40 HP stack with false life items (greater, superior, inproved)?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Does the pale green ioun stones vitality +40 HP stack with false life items (greater, superior, inproved)?
    Yes

I don't like the blindness upon being hit effect, but some toons don't get hit much.
    Maybe they will consider it.

Community Member

No, no , no, that simply not true. The dev said that the exp for the quests was meant to be garbage, but it didn't matter because the loot was going to be so good and relevant to higher levels that people would still want to farm it.

What you're saying would imply that the dev's are clueless and completely out of touch with the game. ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Zillee View Post
    Thanks for collecting this together ^^

I think its fine gear for those who are starting the game for the first time at lvl 15 with an iconic. They won't have a Voice from delera's so the ioun stone is a cool alternative, especially with the +40 vitality. They'll just be starting to collect named gear. They won't actually have anything to compare it to except what comes as their starting gear. Everyone's got to start somewhere. Let's face it, this update and the expansion is not aimed at the vets but at getting new people into the game. Of course, whether it succeeds or not is an entirely different thread so i'm going to meander off and snag that last piece of pizza in the box.
    Agreed. The loots probably aimed to equip toons starting out at level 15 and not for the TR crowd. Wouldn't do any of my main toons much good, but wouldn't be bad starter loot for an Iconic toon.
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast