Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abrownbear9108 View Post

left hand end chest of the first quest with all optionals done on elite, seems like an ok item to give to a bladeforged pally fresh off the forge
    does it give a legal warning, when equipping, stating that its use may lead to epileptic seizure?

So, PurpleFooz stated that at least one of these new items would be nice even at the end game. I was expecting some sort of clicky or something like that.

What's the point of that Green Ioun stone when you have already the new colorless augment? They don't stack with each other. 40 vitality? Meh. Can live without 20 hp at level 15.

No reason to do these quests more than once to look at them for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Farwil, Chaos Gamblers - Argonessen.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    You didn't see the ML14?

Compare it to Staff of the Petitioner raid loot...
    Sorry, but am I missing something?
    Are you honestly saying that this sh*ty staff is better than the Staff of the Petitioner?
    If so, you're nuts.

As far as a casting stick goes, Staff of the Petitioner is obviously better.
    And outside of casting, you're just asking to be gimp if you're meleeing with either of these.

Most of these items seem kind of meh-ish. Not super bad, but with the stock piles of ML12-18 raid loot most everyone has laying around now days they fall far short of useful.I was expecting more the the U13 type gear. Some of which is is useful at level, and even useful at epic levels. Sadly this isn't what we got.

It's a shame but the ONLY thing I see that I might use would be the Ioun Stone, which I would use to replace my Sustaining Symbiot I use while leveling.. But even then, I just don't know. Would I have to farm for it? What are the drop rates like? Could I run through the quest a few times in a TR and get it, or would I be looking at a ransack every couple weeks until the loot gods don't hate me?

EDIT:
    Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way... These quests are F2P, and are level 15, much like the U13 quests I stated before, and if these items drop with any level of regularity, perhaps the devs meant these items for newer players, who haven't farmed out the best twink gear, and raid loot for their TR's. Perhaps the Ioun stone is the F2P answer to the Voice/Threnal Cloak. If these items, like the new Heroic classes are meant to draw in new players, and outfit them with minimal farming for running harder content, and to give them a leg up on us, the vets who have all the gear, past lives, etc... Are they really so bad? I honestly don't know.

for instance, sure the light armor is bad to most of us, since we have better, or have already farmed all the dragons scales we could ever possibly need from TOR, but if you were a new F2P player, would these really look so bad? Especially when in comparison to an armor you don't have access to ever getting?

Just another way to look at these items. May not be good for us, but they could potentially be good for other people. And I say this, because a lot of people on the forums seem to forget that newer players don't have mountains of plat/named items to trade, so all the unbound **** we can afford to get whenever we want.. Well, new people will find that 200K heroic elite version of some GH item way out of reach.

Hell, I remember not to long ago struggling myself to buy my main +3 tomes. Saving and saving all the plat I had just to buy one +3 tome at a time, and then be broke again. and have no plat to spend for weeks, because I had to save it all for tomes.
    Last edited by TheLegendOfAra; 05-23-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Sorry, but am I missing something?
    Are you honestly saying that this sh*ty staff is better than the Staff of the Petitioner?
    If so, you're nuts.

As far as a casting stick goes, Staff of the Petitioner is obviously better.
    And outside of casting, you're just asking to be gimp if you're meleeing with either of these.

Most of these items seem kind of meh-ish. Not super bad, but with the stock piles of ML12-18 raid loot most everyone has laying around now days they fall far short of useful.I was expecting more the the U13 type gear. Some of which is is useful at level, and even useful at epic levels. Sadly this isn't what we got.

It's a shame but the ONLY thing I see that I might use would be the Ioun Stone, which I would use to replace my Sustaining Symbiot I use while leveling.. But even then, I just don't know. Would I have to farm for it? What are the drop rates like? Could I run through the quest a few times in a TR and get it, or would I be looking at a ransack every couple weeks until the loot gods don't hate me?

EDIT:
    Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way... These quests are F2P, and are level 15, much like the U13 quests I stated before, and if these items drop with any level of regularity, perhaps the devs meant these items for newer players, who haven't farmed out the best twink gear, and raid loot for their TR's. Perhaps the Ioun stone is the F2P answer to the Voice/Threnal Cloak. If these items, like the new Heroic classes are meant to draw in new players, and outfit them with minimal farming for running harder content, and to give them a leg up on us, the vets who have all the gear, past lives, etc... Are they really so bad? I honestly don't know.

for instance, sure the light armor is bad to most of us, since we have better, or have already farmed all the dragons scales we could ever possibly need from TOR, but if you were a new F2P player, would these really look so bad? Especially when in comparison to an armor you don't have access to ever getting?

Just another way to look at these items. May not be good for us, but they could potentially be good for other people. And I say this, because a lot of people on the forums seem to forget that newer players don't have mountains of plat/named items to trade, so all the unbound **** we can afford to get whenever we want.. Well, new people will find that 200K heroic elite version of some GH item way out of reach.

Hell, I remember not to long ago struggling myself to buy my main +3 tomes. Saving and saving all the plat I had just to buy one +3 tome at a time, and then be broke again. and have no plat to spend for weeks, because I had to save it all for tomes.
    Instead of write wall of text, maybe you should read the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzzt View Post

New Ioun Stones to gossip about (dropped in end chest of Shadow of a Doubt on elite)

Thanks glowboy
    this way you will discover that the new exp item, its from a p2p quest insted of f2p.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenaps View Post

this way you will discover that the new exp item, its from a p2p quest insted of f2p.
    You will also discover that it's BTAoE, so f2p CAN get it

Quote Originally Posted by markmarklar View Post
    You will also discover that it's BTAoE, so f2p CAN get it
    yep and sure cause new players have a lot of stuff to trade for will be able to barter for one. make sense

/sacarsm off

This item do 0 to help out new players.

Community Member

yep and sure cause new players have a lot of stuff to trade for will be able to barter for one. make sense

/sacarsm off

This item do 0 to help out new players.
    Only if you do 0 to help out new players

Instead of being a pretty poor excuse for a forum troll, maybe you should reread my "wall of text".
    As I said, for any vet players, these items will be largely useless. And in the rare cases that they do find use, if they're easy enough to acquire the prices set on these items will not be to far out of the reach of newer, or casual players. You know.. Since these are BTAoE, so they're sellable on both the AH, and the ASAH.

From most of the vets that have posted in this thread, and I've talked to in game, this item is worthless to them. Not even as useful as the old Ioun Stones are. And you can get unbound Ioun stones in the Ah for what, 100K each? Even less off the AH.. So yeah, everything I said was correct. Especially since I took the BTAoE nature of the item into account when I made my post, since I actually did read the entire thread.

If someone does start selling these for a high price, then maybe I'll admit I'm wrong then, but I just don't see that happening. Why would people waste their time and efforts trying to jack the price of an item like this up, when they'll have enough plat anyways without said item? Especially since as I stated, these items aren't going to be bought buy the vets who have the plat to blow on them, but will instead be bought by f2p players, and casual players?
    Even if this item is super rare, that doesn't mean it will necessarily cost a ton. Rarity =/= Expensive, or good.

Also, I like the way you ignore ALL of my post, and point out the one thing you thought I had missed. As if that one item somehow invalidated the rest of what I said. Good job, Sir. Please, show me how smart you are again.

PS.
    Sorry if I offended any forum trolls out there by putting this guy on your level. Was not my intention.
    Last edited by TheLegendOfAra; 05-23-2013 at 07:28 AM.

ffs Bad forums are Bad.
    Double post.

Thanks for the pictures.

exactly. a lot of player forget this is not just for you veterans. of course some of this stuff isnt as good as say abbot blah blah or a black dragon armor. Tell me how many new players can pull those items out of their butt? Stop being so harsh on this stuff. i get sick and tired of hearing people complain that some of the newer items are crappy when they have farmed all this gear out and are so uber. blah blah blah.

I'm very happy to see new gear out there. it gives you a variety to go with and not always the same thing as everyone else.

I like the armor and trinket, but even for new players that staff is garbage. I'd much rather have a lootgen thaumaturgy staff.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I like the armor and trinket, but even for new players that staff is garbage. I'd much rather have a lootgen thaumaturgy staff.
    I'm a bit on the fence. I don't mind curse spewing or improved curse spewing, and would rather proc the curse off a weapon than spend SP on it. +78 negative energy on ML14 and a red slot isn't too bad.

ML 14 Thaumaturgy staves have +72 instead and maybe +1 spell focus among the choices. This staff does the same as a thaumaturgy staff with a bit better negative, an option on the second spell power type or something else, the necro DC is normal, the enhancement bonus is higher than the normal +3, and improved curse spewing is a freebie beyond standard lootgen ML 14 thaumaturgy staves. Even the potency is slightly higher.

There are other staves that might be preferable at that level but I wouldn't call it garbage for new players. I think it's slightly better than most standard lootgen and it's at least a stepping stone to better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    I'm a bit on the fence. I don't mind curse spewing or improved curse spewing, and would rather proc the curse off a weapon than spend SP on it. +78 negative energy on ML14 and a red slot isn't too bad.

ML 14 Thaumaturgy staves have +72 instead and maybe +1 spell focus among the choices. This staff does the same as a thaumaturgy staff with a bit better negative, an option on the second spell power type or something else, the necro DC is normal, the enhancement bonus is higher than the normal +3, and improved curse spewing is a freebie beyond standard lootgen ML 14 thaumaturgy staves. Even the potency is slightly higher.

There are other staves that might be preferable at that level but I wouldn't call it garbage for new players. I think it's slightly better than most standard lootgen and it's at least a stepping stone to better.
    A thaum staff with crit would literally be better than that (at level 14-15, spells do MUCH more damage than the limited insta-kills - running with delayed blast fireball will kill MUCH faster than CoD/FoD/PK, for example).
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

[/QUOTE]

EDIT:

Hell, I remember not to long ago struggling myself to buy my main +3 tomes. Saving and saving all the plat I had just to buy one +3 tome at a time, and then be broke again. and have no plat to spend for weeks, because I had to save it all for tomes.[/QUOTE]

+1 (if there still was such a thing) dude, exactly right. OK, some items are gonna be AH fodder for the casuals ... but having spent 4 yrs VIP playing with pals who are 'casual' premium or completely FTP ... it looks like good gear.
    We had one guy who bought Vale with 'earnt' TP and used the Wilderness to get from 16-20 without ever running Shroud. For him this is 'holy grail' stuff.
    When your 7th alt has a full set of rare/raid/crafted gear for every level from 1 - 25 it's hard to remember when you didn't. But new guys (or slackers like me) absolutely don't. Not all the kit needs to be for the pro's - if it WAS then life for us casuals would be truly depressing. By the time we get sth it's 4 updates too late.

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    A thaum staff with crit would literally be better than that (at level 14-15, spells do MUCH more damage than the limited insta-kills - running with delayed blast fireball will kill MUCH faster than CoD/FoD/PK, for example).
    I agree, which is why I opened with the on the fence remark. I don't necessarily see it as junk for new players while acquiring gear they might not have and that's the part I wasn't sure I agree with.

It certainly doesn't have anything that stands out other than being slightly better than most standard lootgen staves and missing the 1 quality the good staves have but I would use it if I didn't find anything better.

If the enhancement pass and information on crits was any indication of the future that could be changing as well. Right now spell crits are very much a big part of what casters are looking at but one direction in the not so distant future is a change to spell crits unless Turbine decides to not make that change. During the preview I thought that clearly was a big change and potential nerf.

Cursespewing only procs on a 20, now, right? Or it has a save. Either way, it's not an automatic curse on hit.

ML 14 Thaumaturgy staves have +72 instead and maybe +1 spell focus among the choices.
    Not ML14; you're thinking of "mastery", which is on epic t-staves.

An ML14 t-staff has +72 damage to two lines, not one, and it also has lore.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Cursespewing only procs on a 20, now, right? Or it has a save. Either way, it's not an automatic curse on hit.

Not ML14; you're thinking of "mastery", which is on epic t-staves.

An ML14 t-staff has +72 damage to two lines, not one, and it also has lore.
    I thought I had seen them with spell focus at that level range but could be wrong. They definitely do not all have lore for ML14 thaumaturgy staves. Spell penetration is definitely also one of the options on them at that level. Having 2 lines also isn't better than 1 higher line and red slot, which can fill a 2nd line and the implement bonus is bigger to go with that. The elite version is ML15 and greater necro focus. I'm not sure why that would be "complete junk" even for new players.

A cleric or fvs making use of slay living or destruction at that level, both of whom being less likely to have the same degree of spell damage as arcane casters, could be better off with it because they have less potential with direct damage spell options to make as much use of lore.

Lore is the better choice if someone has it and the spells to go with it but we've both seen the potential changes to the enhancement system and spell criticals. I don't expect lore to exist, or at least not as prominently, in the near future if those changes are coming.

Improved cursespewing doesn't need to be automatic. On 20 procs often enough to be useful if a fight can potentially last without it and the extra lingering damage helps make it a bit more useful.

Like I said, not exactly a stand out item but I would not call it complete trash as is.
    Last edited by Aashrym; 05-25-2013 at 05:46 AM.

I thought I had seen them with spell focus at that level range but could be wrong. They definitely do not all have lore for ML14 thaumaturgy staves. Spell penetration is definitely also one of the options on them at that level. Having 2 lines also isn't better than 1 higher line and red slot, which can fill a 2nd line and the implement bonus is bigger to go with that. The elite version is ML15 and greater necro focus. I'm not sure why that would be "complete junk" even for new players.

A cleric or fvs making use of slay living or destruction at that level, both of whom being less likely to have the same degree of spell damage as arcane casters, could be better off with it because they have less potential with direct damage spell options to make as much use of lore.

Lore is the better choice if someone has it and the spells to go with it but we've both seen the potential changes to the enhancement system and spell criticals. I don't expect lore to exist, or at least not as prominently, in the near future if those changes are coming.

Improved cursespewing doesn't need to be automatic. On 20 procs often enough to be useful if a fight can potentially last without it and the extra lingering damage helps make it a bit more useful.

Like I said, not exactly a stand out item but I would not call it complete trash as is.
    The real problem is, it's a named item that's WORSE than a rather easy-to-get (usually can get a good one on the AH for 10k plat or less, last time I leveled a caster) lootgen item of the same level.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast