Default Wolf Companion doing more DPS than new Owlbear

My Wolf Companion is getting more kills than the new Owlbear. That does not happen with any of the other epic fighter hirelings.

The Owlbear attack speeds is ridiculously slow.

I also tested the level 25 Owlbear out in Gianthold. It took him like 5 minutes to kill 2 giants. This is with me healing him. (with druid buffs, augment summoning, and druid past life)

I don't even want to think about how much this hireling would suck without the druid and summoning buffs.

Total Disappointment!
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    My Wolf Companion is getting more kills than the new Owlbear. That does not happen with any of the other epic fighter hirelings.

The Owlbear attack speeds is ridiculously slow.

I also tested the level 25 Owlbear out in Gianthold. It took him like 5 minutes to kill 2 giants. This is with me healing him. (with druid buffs, augment summoning, and druid past life)

I don't even want to think about how much this hireling would suck without the druid and summoning buffs.

Total Disappointment!
    Thanks for posting this. The owlbear hireling was the only thing making me consider the Legendary Pack, I was hoping it would be as useful as the panther from last xpak. I'll just go with the 29.99 pack instead. You just saved me 40 bucks.
    Server: Orien
    Guild: Over Raided
    Toons: Phasma - Swashbuckler ; Ceroni - Acrobat ; Selina Air Savant ; Cachin - Artificer

I'm surprised more people are not posting about how crappy this hireling is.

I wish someone would have warned me before I bought.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    I'm surprised more people are not posting about how crappy this hireling is.

I wish someone would have warned me before I bought.
    I'm waiting for the casters' fix and waiting to know how many Raids/Packs this expansion will have before purchasing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Farwil, Chaos Gamblers - Argonessen.

I was only expecting him to pull switches. If he does that, he meets all my expectations. That's not to say it wouldn't be nice if the thing could actually kill a single mob before I finish the quest. To me hirelings will always just be cosmetic pets with lever pulling abilities.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

bump~~ everyone should see this before they buy the expansion!

p.s. way to go turbine.. gj on implement another useless hireling

Community Member

Has anyone compared the damage to the Onyx Panther?

Well, mine does fine at what I use it for...Drawing enough aggro for me to kill stuff unhindered, and surviving long enough for me to kill the mobs they are on too. So I won't complain too much. The Onyx Panther served me well up to level 24 quests, even if it was taking a battering at that point.

I think the name would suggest that it is it is not there to deal damage, but to absorb it.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenricus View Post
    Well, mine does fine at what I use it for...Drawing enough aggro for me to kill stuff unhindered, and surviving long enough for me to kill the mobs they are on too. So I won't complain too much. The Onyx Panther served me well up to level 24 quests, even if it was taking a battering at that point.
    I'm a huge fan of the Onyx Panther... that is a great hireling for it's level. It has served me well too.

The owlbear hireling does not compare at all to the panther. It's level 25 epic hireling... and it does not hold its own weight in lvl 25 epic content like gianthold. (the lvl 21 dwarf fighter hireling is even better)
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    I think the name would suggest that it is it is not there to deal damage, but to absorb it.
    Then they probably should have gave it some PRR or DR. It's getting torn up.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    You actually spent $90 on the expansion? Bsically you deserve to get sh itty dps from the hire you paid 40 dollars for for being so stupid
    LOL. I have to admit, I am feeling pretty stupid for buying it now.

At least I can warn other people before they part with their hard-earned cash.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    You actually spent $90 on the expansion? Bsically you deserve to get sh itty dps from the hire you paid 40 dollars for for being so stupid
    I actually logged in to respond to this. Thanks for being a D-Bag to someone trying to help others. Perhaps one day we can be as righteous as you claim to be.

I would think he is more designed for aggro and to let you do the attacking. And I would love if they sold the panther in the DDo store. Then you could have 2 perm gold seal hires to use. For those that didnt pre buy MOTU
    Last edited by Blue100000005; 05-23-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    "Eye of the Dragon" on Argonessen. "Quest with the best"

Quote Originally Posted by beta1 View Post
    Has anyone compared the damage to the Onyx Panther?
    The panther had the following:
    Evasion, Deathblock, Heavy Fortification, Manslayer, Improved Destruction, Tendon Slice, Aligned AND Metalline

The Owlbear has:
    ??????
    Dorian

i hope turbine is planning on doing something about this.. else this be the last perm hireling i acquire..

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    i hope turbine is planning on doing something about this.. else this be the last perm hireling i acquire..
    Please be careful what you wish for.
    Because what Turbine might be planning to do as a remedy could be... nerfing the panther.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for putting up this warning.
    I wouldn't mind if the Owlbear was indeed just a big tank able to take a lot of damage instead of dealing it, but if it can't even do that... I was planning to get the Owlbear, too. Now I certainly won't unless Turbine does some improvements on it. Fortunately there's still time left till the Pre-Launch expires, so maybe something happens.

Community Member

I haven't got the Owlbear, but I'll toss my opinion in anyway.

As others have said, I'd expect the Owlbear Hireling(s) to be more tank than DPS. I wouldn't expect the Owlbear to be killing everything in sight, but I would expect it to be drawing aggro and being durable enough to make it through most encounters in the appropriate levels.

Besides being a big HP meatbag, the Owlbear should have really good AC, DR and PRR. It should also have a decent Dodge score, even if it doesn't have Evasion. Of course the following should also be included with the Owlbear: Deathblock, Heavy Fortification, Improved Destruction, Aligned and Metalline. I'd probably also expect Manslayer, like the Onxy Panther. Again, I don't have the Owlbear, but I'd expect it to be spamming Knockdown pretty regularly and being successful with most trash mobs in the appropriate levels. Besides Knockdown, I'd expect the Owlbear to spam Intimidate on a regular basis too.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeGirl View Post
    I wouldn't mind if the Owlbear was indeed just a big tank able to take a lot of damage instead of dealing it, but if it can't even do that.
    I would be happy with that as well.

Maybe give the Owlbear some of the druid bear enhancements.... like more PRR.... or the knockdown attack.

At this point, with the way dungeon scaling works, you are better off solo than calling the Owlbear.

It does not add enough to the group to justify the added hitpoints of the mobs when the quest scales up for more people. You will have a harder time completing the quest when calling vs not calling owlbear.
    Dorian

Community Member

Thumbs up

Agreed.

After the pre-order period is over... good luck getting anything done with the Owlbear.

/grab-money-and-run
    Dorian