Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Skill tome's Can't be used on UMD?!!

Just get over it devs, as the level cap is increasing, so is our umd.

With the amount of damage we take in epic's, and the amount of HP now obtainable, umd'ing things like heal scrolls isn't the be all end all it once was.

Note. Yes I'm ticked off, I bought legendary thinking I could increase UMD to reduce swap gear. Skill tomes are either over powered or they're not, make them work for all skills, or you shouldn't have introduced them at all.

Even better, UMD tomes do exist, but are not included with the bundled xpac tomes.

What a disgusting, obvious money grabbing move.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Even better, UMD tomes do exist, but are not included with the bundled xpac tomes.

What a disgusting, obvious money grabbing move.

Mo, did you really expect anything less? I hope you grabbed a swim tome!
    I also can't believe you pre-ordered!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Mo, did you really expect anything less? I hope you grabbed a swim tome!
    I also can't believe you pre-ordered!
    IKR, cos umd is not a skill.

Cheap, stingy. Short sighted. Why not just raise price on the +3s and the preorder packs would have gone crazy.

Angry

Wow turbine, oh my lord. What a low and dirty move.

With the amount of damage we take in epic's, and the amount of HP now obtainable, umd'ing things like heal scrolls isn't the be all end all it once was.

Note. Yes I'm ticked off, I bought legendary thinking I could increase UMD to reduce swap gear. Skill tomes are either over powered or they're not, make them work for all skills, or you shouldn't have introduced them at all.
    Ah you see your problem was you thought about it instead of reading about it as it clearly states not for UMD

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Turbine says this on the Screen

One +2 Skill Tome
    (per character)
    Permanently increases one of your character's skills by +2. (You select the skill you want to increase once in game. You cannot select Use Magic Device. UMD tomes are available separately.) Bonuses from tomes persist through reincarnation. This item is Bound to Account.

Not sure what the problem is. I read this at around 10 AM EST today.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Default Cheap

I am pretty sure that umd sold separately means that these tomes can be used on umd...Turbine is just trying to bend it's players over and get them to spend more money to get the one useful skill and the skill that most people will want to use those tomes on. I bought the offer as well...sadness.

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

The reason we kept UMD seperate from Skill Tomes is because we want to increase UMD at a slower pace than the other skills.

With both of the Shadowfell Conspiracy pre-purchase editions, we included turbine points, which can certainly be used for a +1 UMD tome. Additionally, Skill tomes and +1 UMD tomes are now Daily Dice rewards.

Sorry for the confusion, but hope this info helps.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Turbine says this on the Screen

One +2 Skill Tome
    (per character)
    Permanently increases one of your character's skills by +2. (You select the skill you want to increase once in game. You cannot select Use Magic Device. UMD tomes are available separately.) Bonuses from tomes persist through reincarnation. This item is Bound to Account.

Not sure what the problem is. I read this at around 10 AM EST today.
    That clearly is not a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    Additionally, Skill tomes and +1 UMD tomes are now Daily Dice rewards.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway:

Are these dice winnable tomes silver possibilities, or gold only? Or are they split - skill tome = silver/umd tome = gold?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

The reason we kept UMD seperate from Skill Tomes is because we want to make more money.

With both of the Shadowfell Conspiracy pre-purchase editions, we included turbine points, which can certainly be used for a +1 UMD tome. Additionally, Skill tomes and +1 UMD tomes are now Daily Dice rewards.

Fixed it for you.
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Thing is, if you have a UMD target then you already know how to achieve that with your current build.

If you can't achieve your target then you need to tweak your build.

UMD is not the same as Swim or Listen. Anyone who says it is needs to report for an adjustment.

Expecting it to be the same puts you at the head of the queue for aforementioned adjustment.

An alternative perspective would be: Provide skill boost Tomes for any other skill and people say, "Meh, whatever, it's nice but not life or death." but if you add UMD skill boost tomes then suddenly it becomes "ZOMG! This is pure pay-to-win! A pure barbarian can UMD heal scrolls with a credit card!" ... do we really want to invite that amount of rage onto the forums?
    Last edited by Deadlock; 05-23-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Even without reading the fine print, did you really expect any less from Turbine?

More importantly, I would be saving any skill tome for the enhancement pass from what I read over the past 1.5 months, UMD or not.
    SidekickzDysmoniaEilisia PSSC

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

For completeness and the sake of disclosure, I should mention that I have noticed that my current life requires skill boosts to find some end-game traps, so I've used my +3 skill tomes on Search and Disable.

So I'm definitely not saying that these tomes are game breaking and should not be used. I'm just saying that they can be sensibly used on any skill that you think will benefit your build apart from UMD.

"That's right, remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over..." ~ Heavenly Bank Account by Frank Zappa
    "Your 'Gin n' tonic Futon Brain' cyborg implants sure make you smart!" ~ Seraphita, Element of Fire

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Antheal View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    They wanted to increase it slowly, so they charged much more for it?

Community Member

The reason we kept UMD seperate from Skill Tomes is because we want to increase UMD at a slower pace than the other skills.

You know if you had told me this before the last six months i would of likely believed you. But you guys are developing a pattern of transparent money grabbing that is frankly sad. I am not saying doom or any thing along those lines. I am just saying you guys claims of balance fall short. Just admit its about money and only about money. It would be more honest.

Community Member

What a bold faced lie.

You really are a cheeky s o b trying to pass that off the way you did

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    For completeness and the sake of disclosure, I should mention that I have noticed that my current life requires skill boosts to find some end-game traps, so I've used my +3 skill tomes on Search and Disable.

So I'm definitely not saying that these tomes are game breaking and should not be used. I'm just saying that they can be sensibly used on any skill that you think will benefit your build apart from UMD.
    Just had a quick look at your posting history, after seeing a few of your posts in threads I've been looking at. You don't work for Turbine by any chance, do you?

Just checking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast