Default Could anyone point me a good Ranger/Trapper build?

I was thinking about creating this rngr/rog build.
    Aim is to try build something versatile, good twf and archer with the best ranger spells (unitl freedom of movement? Not sure) too with the added skills of locate/disable traps, open locks and possibly umd.
    The build will get all feats needed to satisfy both tempest AND AA in order to change prestige just by resetting enhancements (current enhancement system, don't if it will be appliable to the future change).
    Build is 32 points.

This said, is it possible to pick tempest and AA on an elf ranger character?
    Is it worth to add a rogue prestige class?

Open minded to splash a third class if worth it.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Old, but might help you come up with what you want.

Ranger Exploiter build
    Last edited by Ilindith; 05-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    Old, but might help you come up with what you want.

Ranger Exploiter build
    Thanks.

I would like to add a question to have a clue if can achieve what i want for this build.

How many skill points are needed at level 20 for search/disable and open locks?
    Consider i have access to +15 skill items.
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.

My rogue is 14rog/6rgr and can spot/find/disable/unlock pretty much everything in EH, GH included and she's not even lvl 25 yet. Haven't taken her to EE because she's missing gear and ED levels to be useful in there.

Start with rog level so you get all the skill points from your int and always max the rogue skills even when you're taking ranger levels.

Others will have different ideas for the level split but I got all I want from those 6 levels of ranger.

Just my 2c.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Some time ago, I made a quick build to help a new player that wanted a solo build. It splashed a single rogue level for traps, and went pure ranger the rest (mostly for ease of build, you can mix-match better builds from there). Check at your own peril. It is recent and generic enough to work as a starting point to your own build.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Thanks.

I would like to add a question to have a clue if can achieve what i want for this build.

How many skill points are needed at level 20 for search/disable and open locks?
    Consider i have access to +15 skill items.
    Honestly, keep them maxed each level and you should be fine on 99% of the traps and doors you come across. Taking a level of rogue makes it possible to put 1 full point into the skills while on another class, instead of the usual 0.5. It will however cost you double to do it as they will still increment by 0.5 (so you need to spend 2 skill point to get 1 point). In the end, you can have as much skills point in them as a level 20 rogue would. Just make sure you have enough skill points per level to max all the skills. You will not get access to as many enhancements to boost those skills however, but like I said earlier, you will still have enough for a vast majority of the content if you have good items/buffs/boosts.

Open lock often requires lower numbers than search/disable for normal doors and people sometimes prefer to not max it. But I always prefered maxing it for the few 50-60DC doors like in Temple of Vol for the extra exp.

Any class can be a trapper with one level of rogue/arti.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

Trapping is currently worthless in all levels and tiers of this game, all the way up to EE. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your and your party's time. What you want out of ranger is the free ranged and melee feats, tempest/AA and self healing to keep up with the current BYOH metagame.

So this means break points at 11, 12, or 15. With the remaining levels, you'll want to splash in monk, fighter and/or paladin for the various front loaded benefits they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    So this means break points at 11, 12, or 15.
    You saying i should stop gaining ranger levels at 11th, 12th or 15th level?

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    You saying i should stop gaining ranger levels at 11th, 12th or 15th level?
    At 11th, you get your last free feats (Improved Precise Shot and Greater Two Weapon Fighting).

At 12th, you get access to Tempest II (100% off-hand strike).

At 15th you get your second 4th level spell slot (to keep Freedom of Movement and Cure Serious Wounds always prepared) and your 4th Favored Enemy.

If they add more useful Ranger spells, this cutout may not be as clear as today, but you hardly need more slots than what you get at 15th. Going beyond this is only if you want the capstone (Currently, only useful for Archers).
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Thanks everybody for the nice feedback!

And sorry but looks like i can't give positive reputation (system broken?).

Community Member

There are some great examples above A few fairly simple builds that work well.

6 Ranger / 12 Rogue / 2 Paladin (paladin levels for better saves)
    6 Ranger / 12 Rogue / 2 Fighter (for the 2 fighter feats - one is likely improved precise shot the other may be greater two weapon fighting)
    6 Ranger / 12 Rogue / 2 Monk (basically for 2 toughness feats - 50 hp @ level 25 if you think you will need hp)

With all these you go tempest I and full elf arcane archer if you wish. Half elf is likely better because you get human versatility for burst dps, but elf works just fine.

Keep in mind there is an enhancement pass coming up which can change everything. You are very likely to wish you did something different with your class mix or race after it comes out. So if you don't plan to TR the character, that can be an issue. Turbine hasn't yet stated what free respec opportunities (if any) they will offer with the enhancement pass.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).