Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mantle/voice

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Ignoring Carnifex (this screen was done for something else) I draw your attention to my Gear swap hotbar setup to the right:

I do this on all characters, I set mine up to mimic the order that gear appears on the inventory paperdoll. So helms up top, goggles, neck, trinkets and so on. To the left on the matrix are the items I wear most in descending order to the right being items that are purely temporary or situational.

Trinkets:
    Bloodstone on at all times
    Voice only put on at quest end at which point I always put my main trinket back on before I click finish out (to avoid accidentally running the next quest with Voice in the slot).
    Pearl of Power, I click this right before I rest, then I buff and use up the SP it gives and click the Blood Stone
    House P pendant I only use this in town obviously because it only works there, again immediately go back to BS to avoid running a quest with the Pendant on.

My point it there's a organized way to swap gear, voice should be put on moments before quest completion, it's never taking up a slot, so "slot consolidation" is not a good reason to burn up your mantle's 5 charges of spell absorption, NOR is it a good reason to throw away the True seeing set bonus that once in a blue moon you'll be happy you have on hand (like when you run out of true seeing scrolls). If you have a jeweled cloak great... with a Mantle you have even more charges... add a Silver Flame Talisman awesome even more charges... trust me you will play in content where having 25 charges leaves you wishing you had a few more Step foot into IQ and tell me crunching your mantle was a good idea...

I hate to sound elitist, because I don't consider myself to be one, I will group with any character build and have never kicked anyone for having bad HP or a funky class split, in fact I refuse to even ASK you about those types of things because I don't care to come across as elitist.

But that said, this augment is really pointless, and worse still it actually destroys a very useful bit of equipment. Once which players will become MORE appreciative of over time and at higher levels, not less.

IMHO having a spread of absorption charges is much like carrying Raise Dead scrolls on every character, having a complete spread of elemental protects and resists, cures and disease pots of the highest level sold, and having a green steel clicky of Raise dead and Displacement... It's required equipment.

Anyway do what you want, I suspect you'll regret it, if only because you have to go get jewelers kits to upgrade your gear. I am not saying anyone is obligated use this (I certainly wont) I am just offering up an opinion as to why maybe someone with a freshly capped 20 who is thinking about burning their first 5 epic tokens to do this, might want to think twice. And I'm offering my humble version of a swap bar system that visually works for me, as something that maybe not all newer players have thought about or done something about yet, and let you know how I use it. I guess what I'm saying is: friends don't let friends throw away extra charges of spell absorption and emergency true seeing, to consolidate a slot that doesn't need to be consolidated.

Quote Originally Posted by beta1 View Post
    One trick many crafters have learned is that you can make crafted BTA items instead of BTC items. You take an un-named BTC item (from the sharn quests for example) and use that for crafting. I have among other items a BTA heavy fort ring ML 7. I wonder if this works for this as well (or other slotted arguments)?
    Yep ive got bta striding 15 and 20 boots, bta ring protection +4 and 5 and others I cant remember off hand, the other place for bta un-named loot is Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Ignoring Carnifex (this screen was done for something else) I draw your attention to my Gear swap hotbar setup to the right:

I do this on all characters, I set mine up to mimic the order that gear appears on the inventory paperdoll. So helms up top, goggles, neck, trinkets and so on. To the left on the matrix are the items I wear most in descending order to the right being items that are purely temporary or situational.

Trinkets:
    Bloodstone on at all times
    Voice only put on at quest end at which point I always put my main trinket back on before I click finish out (to avoid accidentally running the next quest with Voice in the slot).
    Pearl of Power, I click this right before I rest, then I buff and use up the SP it gives and click the Blood Stone
    House P pendant I only use this in town obviously because it only works there, again immediately go back to BS to avoid running a quest with the Pendant on.

My point it there's a organized way to swap gear, voice should be put on moments before quest completion, it's never taking up a slot, so "slot consolidation" is not a good reason to burn up your mantle's 5 charges of spell absorption, NOR is it a good reason to throw away the True seeing set bonus that once in a blue moon you'll be happy you have on hand (like when you run out of true seeing scrolls). If you have a jeweled cloak great... with a Mantle you have even more charges... add a Silver Flame Talisman awesome even more charges... trust me you will play in content where having 25 charges leaves you wishing you had a few more Step foot into IQ and tell me crunching your mantle was a good idea...

I hate to sound elitist, because I don't consider myself to be one, I will group with any character build and have never kicked anyone for having bad HP or a funky class split, in fact I refuse to even ASK you about those types of things because I don't care to come across as elitist.

But that said, this augment is really pointless, and worse still it actually destroys a very useful bit of equipment. Once which players will become MORE appreciative of over time and at higher levels, not less.

IMHO having a spread of absorption charges is much like carrying Raise Dead scrolls on every character, having a complete spread of elemental protects and resists, cures and disease pots of the highest level sold, and having a green steel clicky of Raise dead and Displacement... It's required equipment.

Anyway do what you want, I suspect you'll regret it, if only because you have to go get jewelers kits to upgrade your gear. I am not saying anyone is obligated use this (I certainly wont) I am just offering up an opinion as to why maybe someone with a freshly capped 20 who is thinking about burning their first 5 epic tokens to do this, might want to think twice. And I'm offering my humble version of a swap bar system that visually works for me, as something that maybe not all newer players have thought about or done something about yet, and let you know how I use it. I guess what I'm saying is: friends don't let friends throw away extra charges of spell absorption and emergency true seeing, to consolidate a slot that doesn't need to be consolidated.
    well I intend to put one on my epic mirror cloak which will then free me a slot (BTW the mirror cloak gives the same benefits and more that the mantle gives)

Being a curious person and one that only pops the Mantle/Voice on as part of the Final XP I combined these to see what it does create.

It creates a Colorless Augment with 5% XP

You do not get DM vision
    You do not get Spell Absorption
    You do not get +1 Luck

What you get is a Colorless Augment that you can put on any piece of gear that will take a colorless augment. This Augment has a ML of 1 (one). This means you could potentially start benefiting from 5% XP sooner.

I actually applaud this as I've had no use for any of the features except the 5% for so many years that I was tossing a coin as to which would come out of the TR Cache. Now I can craft an item that grows with me and potentially wear the 5% for all those optional XP moments.

And if I decide that Spell absorption, +1 Luck or DM vision is needed all I have to do is visit those series again. Personally this has saved me inventory space.

Am happy to see this, however since it costs both a mantle and voice and epic raid tokens.... should grant DM vision as well....

else make two versions.... one that uses voice and epic raid tokens and grants the 5% and another that uses the mantle and epic raid tokens and grants DM vision. Costing both is too much cost for benefit gained....

OR make the gem like the gem of many facets and allow it to work with either the voice or mantle to grant the DM vision set bonus.

This is now my favourite item. I had problems with crafting a bound shard and using it, i get that i cant put it in the bound crafting machine, is anyone else having this problem?

Community Member

Default Nice Application

Quote Originally Posted by SirShen View Post

This is now my favourite item. I had problems with crafting a bound shard and using it, i get that i cant put it in the bound crafting machine, is anyone else having this problem?
    I like how you chose to use the Master's Gift. Very nice.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12