Default Completionist mechanics, Reincarnation order, Past Lives limit

I was reading an older archived post and it gave me the impression that if you want to have the completionist feat, your previous "x" number of lives (12 or 13) need to have all classes in them.

So it seemed like if you did this you could not get the completionist feat -
    Fighter TR 3 times
    Monk TR 3 times
    Barb TR 3 times
    Rogue TR 3 times
    Ranger TR 3 times
    Cleric TR 3 times
    Wizard TR 3 times
    Sorc TR 3 times
    Bard TR 3 times
    Monk TR 3 times
    Favored Soul TR 3 times
    Artificer TR 3 times
    Druid TR 3 times

because after your 4th class or so it would sort of lose the memory of those lives as far as completionist is concerned (like basically they wouldn't count toward completionist)

Is this actually a game mechanic or am I just confused?

If so then you would need to be a little more choosy about which lives you run multiple times based on what your end build would be - e.g. run each life 1 time first, then once you have completionist you are at 13 and you would have to run the same entire sequence 1 life at a time in order to pick up the stacking without losing completionist.

Or is there simply a cap on the total number of past lives you can have?

Seems you're just confused.

It matters not how many times you've done each life for the completionist feat. The passive feats can only stack up to 3 times, so there's no point in having more than 3 past lives of any class, and in order to have access to the completionist feat itself you just need each past life once, but it keeps a counter of all past lives in all classes. So the number of past lives of any possible use you can have is anywhere from N to N*3, where N is the number of available classes at the moment.

The kicker though is that many past life feats are only useful for some classes. Like the boost to casting DCs for a pure melee (but 3 barb lives is always good for the extra hit points and 3 pally lives gives you 15% healing amp - yum).

Most would probably knock out 1 of each past life and then increase the count of past lives for classes that will help their end-goal life. When I figure out which ones I want, that's what I'll be doing (in ~10 years at current speed).
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Not 100% sure how the mechanics work, but i don't think it works like that, what makes me think as such is that if you add a toon with multiple lives to your friends list you can see how many levels/lives they have but it does not count more then 20lvls for each class. An example being my main toon, currently on his 8th life, but only shows as level 127 (instead of 147), it does not add the extra 20 lvls for the double pally life i did for the heal amp, which makes me think it's only seeing the single life for each class, the only thing i can find referring to the 2 pally lives i took is the feat showing as earned twice.

Hence i think it matters not the order or amount you do them in.
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by tanjal View Post
    I was reading an older archived post and it gave me the impression that if you want to have the completionist feat, your previous "x" number of lives (12 or 13) need to have all classes in them.

So it seemed like if you did this you could not get the completionist feat -
    Fighter TR 3 times
    Monk TR 3 times
    Barb TR 3 times
    Rogue TR 3 times
    Ranger TR 3 times
    Cleric TR 3 times
    Wizard TR 3 times
    Sorc TR 3 times
    Bard TR 3 times
    Monk TR 3 times
    Favored Soul TR 3 times
    Artificer TR 3 times
    Druid TR 3 times

because after your 4th class or so it would sort of lose the memory of those lives as far as completionist is concerned (like basically they wouldn't count toward completionist)

Is this actually a game mechanic or am I just confused?

If so then you would need to be a little more choosy about which lives you run multiple times based on what your end build would be - e.g. run each life 1 time first, then once you have completionist you are at 13 and you would have to run the same entire sequence 1 life at a time in order to pick up the stacking without losing completionist.

Or is there simply a cap on the total number of past lives you can have?
    Definitely not the case.

You only get a benefit from 3x past lives, but there's nothing stopping you doing 4 or 5 or however many you like. It's totally up to you. Although the order you've listed them in isn't advisable because you would be on life 37 before you get Completionist ..... not the clever option

You get Completionist once you have a past life in every class. You don't automatically lose Completionist when a new class is introduced - you only lose Completionist if you TR again, when you no longer have the option to reselect the feat at level 3 because you no longer qualify.

You can do your x3 lives in any order. Here's how I did mine, if you'd like to see a real life example, just to confirm that you don't lose the option to select Completionist based on your "previous 13" past lives: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...nn-s-40th-life

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Deadlock; 05-22-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for clearing that up.