Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Let's see, what is this now...the millionth thread about this topic?

The etiquette is that the item was put up for a roll, people who wanted to roll did so, and someone other than OP won the roll.

We can make all the assessments that we desire. Winner's DPS isn't great. Winner won't use item as well as OP. Winner plans to TR, OP does not. Winner can't even use item. Winner sells item to vendor.

Maybe the winner simply thinks the item looks cool for his character. Maybe it fits their character concept for RP reasons.

Any and all of these are completely irrelevant to the fact that the roll was won by someone other than OP. While I can certainly understand the disappointment, I'll never understand the angry judgement.

Here, the OP acknowledges much of what I've mentioned - and yet the question remains "what is the general consensus?" It appears to be the same as it always has been. So we're not breaking any new ground here.
    When you stand out in the rain, you get wet.

The Long Shot - where I write about stuff: www.thelongshotist.com

Community Member

Damn, is it that time again? Oh of course, it was "BYOH means BYOH!" time last week and "Clerics aren't just healbots!" the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_the_South View Post
    I've been running CitW a lot recently. I'm TRing my current favorite toon into a Juggernaut next life and so looking for Sireth and, more importantly, Pinion. I'm mainly aiming for 20th completion as i know this will be my best bet. Hopefully Pinion is in list........

Up until my 16th run i'd never had an item drop for me. On my 16th Celestia dropped. Great! But i wont use it next life or in the foreseeable future, so i put it up for role and the Cleric won it. Awesome, very happy for him.

On my next run I got both a CoH (amazing, prob only the third to drop). Someone also put Sireth up for role so i rolled (d146 low or something like that). I rolled 16! Woop! Then a Sorc18/Monk2 rolled on it. And got 9. I asked him if he planned on TRing the character. He replies "no, why?". WHY? Because, despite what you believe you're not DPS (although one of his guildies in the raid 'telled' me right away saying 'dont worry man, he will use it, he is great DPS'). Well i got news for you man. He aint. I watched him the entire raid (as i was interested to see if the "spell sword" idea can work at end game) and, when he wasn't avoiding the Lolth fight by standing around doing nothing/hiding, he was generally running away from MOBs beating on him as he flailed his greatsword around.

This was particularly frustrating. I know everyone is absolutely entitled to make a character anyway they want and play the game for their own enjoyment (i'm a huge advocate for this) but when it comes to raid loot that is extremely hard to get, what is the general consensus on the etiquette here??

I know I'm ranting. It's kinda frustrating. Deep in my heart i say, you won the roll, all power to you buddy. But the devil on my shoulder growls and says 'he stolesss it from usssss, preeeecious'!!

/rant over :-S
    Your position seems unfair. After all, on a jug, you are likely 16 Arty / 2 Monk / 2 (ranger / pally). So, if he can't roll on it for being a 18 sorc, should a 16 arty be allowed to roll on it? Shouldn't you have to roll on only the crossbow?

Really, he could be trying to build a variation of something like the jug. As a sorc, he gets recon and tensor's transformation as spells too. He can cast displacement instead of scrolling it. Don't get me wrong, overall, arty seems as a better base class for it. But by your description, he was in melee, and it sounds like he was really planning on using Sireth. I see no reason that your unusual not normally thought of as a melee class build should be allowed to grab it but his couldn't (aside from the fact that yours is forum-approved). Like the jug, maybe most of his melee power comes from destinies and he just hadn't finished farming over to LD or Fury yet.

I was in a raid not long ago where people were confused as to why the Arty (clearly a jug) kept fighting in melee. This cuts both ways. Now, I can understand doing need before greed on items you put up for roll. A sorc can clearly get better use out of a Telvi's ring (since it requires the tier 3 PRE to get the +2 MCL), but a general melee weapon? Seems like anyone who is in melee would be fair to roll on that.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    sadly not really much you can do about it. people do this all the time so usually if i have an item for roll i usually limit it to the people who can use it right away but that is just me.
    This.

EG If I pull Antipode (I don't own Monk), I will offer it to my Guildie Monks, Druids or Arties (for pet collars), then to any Pug monks, then to any Druids and Artis, then finally to anyone else.

When I eventually pulled the Pinion I let the whining Rangers roll for it even though I wanted it myself. But I won the roll fair and square.

My loot, my choice.

That said, if someone wants to try selling raid loot, I don't much care for that. Its their loot so its their choice but I don't have to like it. I just won't raid with them again.
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_the_South View Post
    I've been running CitW a lot recently. I'm TRing my current favorite toon into a Juggernaut next life and so looking for Sireth and, more importantly, Pinion. I'm mainly aiming for 20th completion as i know this will be my best bet. Hopefully Pinion is in list........

Up until my 16th run i'd never had an item drop for me. On my 16th Celestia dropped. Great! But i wont use it next life or in the foreseeable future, so i put it up for role and the Cleric won it. Awesome, very happy for him.

On my next run I got both a CoH (amazing, prob only the third to drop). Someone also put Sireth up for role so i rolled (d146 low or something like that). I rolled 16! Woop! Then a Sorc18/Monk2 rolled on it. And got 9. I asked him if he planned on TRing the character. He replies "no, why?". WHY? Because, despite what you believe you're not DPS (although one of his guildies in the raid 'telled' me right away saying 'dont worry man, he will use it, he is great DPS'). Well i got news for you man. He aint. I watched him the entire raid (as i was interested to see if the "spell sword" idea can work at end game) and, when he wasn't avoiding the Lolth fight by standing around doing nothing/hiding, he was generally running away from MOBs beating on him as he flailed his greatsword around.

This was particularly frustrating. I know everyone is absolutely entitled to make a character anyway they want and play the game for their own enjoyment (i'm a huge advocate for this) but when it comes to raid loot that is extremely hard to get, what is the general consensus on the etiquette here??

I know I'm ranting. It's kinda frustrating. Deep in my heart i say, you won the roll, all power to you buddy. But the devil on my shoulder growls and says 'he stolesss it from usssss, preeeecious'!!

/rant over :-S
    Many people will say "your loot is your loot to do with as you please" including allowing sorcs (2 monk levels: smirk) to roll on a melee weapon but it is frustrating. I personally think that if there are people in the quest right now that could use the item they should get it over even someone who claims they will TR. But people make their own decisions about their loot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12