Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I don't mind soloing, but there are a lot of quests after 11th level or so that require 2 or more people.
    Name them. I can only think of two quests that I don't know how to solo - Tomb of the Shadow Lord and Tomb of the Forbidden. The remainder are doable without other players using hirelings to pull levers, stand on platforms, etc. Even then the majority of these quests are prior to level 12.

Let us take a simple example - Xorian Cipher. Did you ever notice that archers have an annoying tendency to jump backwards every couple of seconds you're right next to them? Did you know they also do not follow you (or contribute to dungeon alert) in a quest? If you use this simple annoyance you can have the ones in the right-side of Xorian Cipher stand on the platforms. Then you and a hireling stand on the other two. A "four-man" quest has just become one man and a hireling.

As for actual difficulty, it only truly depends on your skill as a player. Build and gear certainly help at times but they aren't the main factor in a niche game like DDO.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 05-22-2013 at 05:01 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Other than eating a tome of learning, I don't drink pots, and I average a life a week, while playing other toons. I find the TR grind to be ridiculously easy, and I wish it was harder, quite frankly. If people don't want to put in the work, then they shouldn't get the benefits.
    Entertainment should not be "work". I've never understood people like you who think a silly grind is somehow a good thing.

Some of us also have more to do with our lives than DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    As for actual difficulty, it only truly depends on your skill as a player. Build and gear certainly help at times but they aren't the main factor in a niche game like DDO.
    This isn't a skill-based game like chess or golf. This is a content mastery game and you get better at it by repeating the content enough times.

What people often refer to as "skill" in this game is really just repetition, memory and learning techniques from other players. This corresponds roughly with the amount of time you spend playing the game not any sort of special gifting or exceptional intelligence.

I play face-to-face D&D with adults like myself. One is an MD and one is an attorney. They are both exceptionally bright and talented individuals, but due to a full life they have limited play time for MMOs and would be considered casual players when they used to play here. They quit DDO last fall partially due to the guild system and partially due to some of the unpleasant people they have to deal with at higher levels when running raids. Neverwinter seems to be a better fit for them and I've enjoyed playing with them over there as I enjoyed playing with them here.

Nobody should ever delude themselves into thinking they are skilled or bright because of DDO accomplishments. This is a non-skill based video game. Some of the things learned may carry over to other video games, but not really anywhere else in life. You get good at this game by playing it a lot. Many people settle for less in DDO because they have other priorities in life.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Where are the LFMs?

Where are the LFMs?

When I started, I had to join a group to play. Now, you don't have to.

The five reasons I think LFMs are down

1. Hirelings
    2. Gold Seal hirelings
    3. Guild ships with uber buffs
    4. Dungeon Alert
    5. Dungeon Scaling

Why do an LFM when you can get a hireling?
    If I can join an uber guild, I can have uber buffs. I won't need someone to buff me.
    If there are more people in my group, the game is tougher.

How many of you are willing to forego items 1 through 3? The answer is NONE. We all would be willing to forego items 4 and 5, after all, that stuff was the cause of LAG.(snicker)

I do use hirelings. I do not use gold seal hirelings, but I will since I just burned the HIRE01 coupon to try them out.

I am not in an uber guild and when offered to do a guild ship for buffs, I don't care. I am self sufficient and probably know the quest/RAID better than 95% of the people in the group.

I never care about DA or DS anymore. I wish for the days when I could run through an explorer zone without DA, but I realize it is gone.

In my opinion, Turbine has given what a vocal minority of the players in the game wanted and then some. Hopefully, the Turbine coffers are richer for that.

I will join an LFM, but I never out up an LFM. I much prefer doing solo. Why? I want to do XYZ quest. I will not wait 30 minutes for it to fill, I just run it. I figure the time I wasted waiting for it to fill, I could run it. I want to run a PARTICULAR quest, if it is not a quest that others will run, why put up an LFM?

In this thread we have witnessed why LFMs are less and less. Several players have taken the I am better than thou route, and attacked each other over their opinions.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Aside from the arguments of why and how we got here, and on the topic of increasing the number of LFMs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    ditch streak bonus completely as it discourages people from running quests with friends or pugs
    I love the streak bonus, but I concede that removing it would help in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Also add a 5% per player (past the first) bonus to exp and +1 loot level to chest for full groups. Then remove all the silly artificial barriers to soloing like stepping on 4 plates at the same time.
    This is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by colinski283 View Post
    not enough people etc.
    Meh. I really do wish you'd seen the last days of codemasters. It was like being there for the destruction of the old marketplace.

Just cancelled my VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson
    Whoopee*doo
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Community Member

I'n one of the 'no lfm up' "i'll do it solo on normal then"
    What puts me off posting lfm is like i suspect many 'err i'm not a good leader' or 'i don't know the quest like the back of my hand'.
    BUT
    When i do post lfm i always have fun. And the more i have the more confident and relaxed about it you become.

Be honest in your lfm . Mine are usually 'not to fast or medium pace'
    Remember you will only have 1 healer for 2-5 people so carry some healing/remove curse/poison etc potions. Everyone can heal themselves on the way to the next fight.

If you are worried about joining a group send the poster a tell. i have a few times,
    ie i'm not familiar with this quest, you should'nt mind if they say yes or no .

Remember just like real life
    If people enjoyed running some quests with you they will likely join again.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Community Member

Name them. I can only think of two quests that I don't know how to solo - Tomb of the Shadow Lord and Tomb of the Forbidden.
    Tomb of the Forbidden can be done with a hireling. The trick is to start to pull the lever and the back away to interrupt the action before it completes pulling. Then park your hire at that lever and go to the other side. Then pull the lever on the other side while your hireling finishes pulling the first lever.

Shadow Lord can be done with a hireling too, but its a bit more painful to describe. You need Dimension Door, so that rules out some classes (or else bring Mikayl the Pious as your hire if you don't care about bravery bonus, and use his ddoor).

Anyways, on topic, Owenmay nailed it for me:

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMay View Post
    I was wondering about that as well. Started out on Thelanis about a month ago, which is supposed to be one of the more populated servers and there are barely more than 2 or 3 groups in any given level range up at a time, exept for maybe on weekends or some US primetime overlap.
    Which makes sense since there arent usually more than 250 people or so online.
    Seeing as there is no trial version and f2p (noob without lots of packages) groups are pretty much non existent above level 5 its not really comprehensible why they wouldnt merge the servers together. I dont think a lot of new players will stay very long let alone spend money on the game as the noob gamplay is pretty repellent. Its either solo as f2p or gain the option to follow the blue dot of the multiple TR/ship buffed/top equipped guys in a group most of the time as VIP from what I experienced.
    The game itself is pretty good but the lack of players (let alone new ones) and other issues like bugs and server instability cast a pretty big shadow on that.
    I am on Thelanis too and am on Australian Eastern time. I see more tumbleweeds than lfms on any given weeknight evening. I was on Cannith server for a while too and it was even worse than Thelanis. I see a lot fewer LFMs now than a year ago - both heroic levels and for end-game. Less players on too.

US Eastern time evenings (morning to midday my time) are reasonably populated, but nothing to get excited about. If we had 3 to 4 times the number of players on (with a corresponding increase in lfms, guild activity and channel activity) I would be a lot happier. If we could find more off-peak players, that would make me happier still.

I tend to be one of the multiple TR zerg-because-I've-done-it-many-times-before-types. I am always friendly to newbies but I appreciate that they will often fall behind or get lost in one of my groups if they aren't sharp and keep up. I gave up expecting the extra 10% for Flawless Victory a long time ago, so it doesn't bother me at all if someone dies in a group i am in.

So, while I am friendly to new players, I recognise that my play-style is not particularly friendly to them.

When I don't see an lfm, I'll often start one and then end up soloing it or doing it with the one guy that hit the lfm. Other times I'll turn off and go watch TV or read a book. Its more fun playing in a group than running solo all the time, even if you can do it.

I would be soo happy to see a server merge to boost the playing population. My only fear would is that implementation would be as half-assed as the forum cutover. Think about the grief we would face if people had lost access to game accounts/toons instead of just forum accounts. sigh.

I love the game, but I can totally see where the OP is coming from. Feels like it is dying...
    Member of Storm Lords on Thelanis.
    In game: Unshriven, Unbidden, Unsated, and Unfazed.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDM View Post
    I'n one of the 'no lfm up' "i'll do it solo on normal then"
    What puts me off posting lfm is like i suspect many 'err i'm not a good leader' or 'i don't know the quest like the back of my hand'.
    BUT
    When i do post lfm i always have fun. And the more i have the more confident and relaxed about it you become.

Be honest in your lfm . Mine are usually 'not to fast or medium pace'
    Remember you will only have 1 healer for 2-5 people so carry some healing/remove curse/poison etc potions. Everyone can heal themselves on the way to the next fight.

If you are worried about joining a group send the poster a tell. i have a few times,
    ie i'm not familiar with this quest, you should'nt mind if they say yes or no .

Remember just like real life
    If people enjoyed running some quests with you they will likely join again.
    That's a really honest post. I'm pleased to see you have tried posting LFMs and that you have found those to be good experiences. I agree a lot of people are afraid to start posts, and I think they should look to your experience as an example. Don't let it intimidate you, you've already proven that you can be the one who starts a group, do it again! Don't worry if you aren't the expert on quest X. Hell, some of the longer, and yet most fun quests I've been in were back in the day when they didn't "preview" new quests for us and we had that first night release where NO ONE knew how to do it. Most memorable would be the 2-4 hour completions of Crucible NORMAL that everyone was posting about that first few days lol.

And don't be afraid to join LFMs either. You don't need to send that tell, in fact that's annoying to some group leaders and can be missed if they are busy. Just join. Once in group do let them know you are new, but if they didn't want new people that would probably be in their LFM so just join and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Noticed the same thing, and don't blame you for cancelling VIP.

It is funny how some posters want to place it all on us, the players.

Yet Turbine ignores us; destroys their forums; overcharges people recently, destroy their communication channels (devtracker?), and make the game appear dead.
    It kind of is all on the players though. You can have what you feel is the best game with the most communicative devs you can find, and if the people who play the game are a bunch of LCD type WOW spillovers, it will be less attractive than an old buggy game with silent devs, who has a far more mature community. The people are usually the number one reason players stay playing an MMO after the initial new game smell wears off.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

By skill, you mean my ability to read spoilers, tricks, and exploits on the web?

I'll reword my previous comment slightly. I have no problem soloing almost anything below 10th level with almost any class. After that, there are a fair number of quests that are significantly easier to complete with a balanced party of 4 or more actual players. As I TR a lot, it's also painfully obvious that some classes are simply not the best for soloing, or at least in cases where the weakness in the class is magnified by the conditions of the quest.

And I'll also add, that sometimes I prefer to quest with other people. I enjoy the social aspect, the random behaviour, and the ability to make things more interesting. Soloing is fine, but I don't want to do it all the time.

Like most things in life, I like a little variety. Creating a WF sorc and screaming solo through all content at breakneck speed is fun for a while, but sometimes you want to play an assassin, a bard, or a halfling enchantment wizard. Sure, these toons can solo some things well, but try tomb of the tormented with an assassin. Or Tomb of the Forbidden with a bard. And I've never figured out how to get a hireling to pass the gear. It's hard enough to get a human player to do it.

I guess I'm not a power user like you. I sometimes need help.

Community Member

LOL Seems like such simple solution!

But I'll put up LFMs and sit there for eons with very few or no responses. I even tried being less picky and letting people join that I would normally never group with.

I don't mind soloing, but there are a lot of quests after 11th level or so that require 2 or more people.

It's getting worse every week.

Too bad your simple solution is way too simple for it's own good.
    I don't personally know you, but did you ever think that you have perhaps been blacklisted due to your behavior? There was a time when people could act a certain way and the community was large enough and spread out enough where their behavior had no consequences. With the change to decay and the rise of super-guilds, this is no more. Being rude to one person can get you blacklisted by a guild with 500 active members.

I only ask this because I really have no problem filling groups. I wait for five minutes, take the people I have, and start the quest. Usually the group fills the rest of the way in the first few minutes of being in the quest. There seems to be an unknown factor causing vast differences in the way groups fill for different people. I don't know what it is, but blacklisting is certainly on the top of my list of possibilities.

So what I've gathered is people are saying part of the reason there are less LFM groups are because of guild only and userchannel only runs. Then people say its our fault we dont have more LFM groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    That's right don't fix the game, fix human nature instead LOL. Let us know how that crusade works out for you there Hendrik.

First of all most of the LFM's on any given night are one person LFM's already, starting another one person LFM does not solve anything. Second of all most people are not leaders. For the ones who are; DDO is insanely meta game heavy, meaning if you don't know the quest well you're liable to feel like a dope if you try to lead it.
    I agree a 100%. Though I think it´s time to merge servers to half the actual number... Bigger player base and cheaper maintenance, so ¿which are the drawbacks?

Please merge the servers. The game would be much more fun if there were others to play with.

So what I've gathered is people are saying part of the reason there are less LFM groups are because of guild only and userchannel only runs. Then people say its our fault we dont have more LFM groups.
    Correct on both points.

The game, at least on Argo where the OP was, is highly guild/channel oriented, which has reduced the number of LFMs as they aren't needed.

If you sit on your ass and wait for another to post, you are in fact making even less LFMs and thus contributing to your own problem.

You also choose whether to be in a guild or not and your conduct dictates if you get invited to channels.

So there you go, you correctly summed it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    this makes me wonder if people actually do lfms or if they just wait for it. I do know a lot of people wait for things they want to do. To me that doesnt solve the problems. Maybe a merge or a better system for lfms is needed who knows.
    Sometimes I wait for an LFM and sometimes I create my own. Partly depends upon my mood, the amount of patience I feel I have that day, and how much time I have available to play. I like to put LFMs up when I have a few hours to play because when the group is good I want to be able to continue with them as much as possible. When my time is short or I have not had a good day, then I tend to avoid putting my own LFMs up (and when I haven't had a good day, I will sometimes avoid people as much as possible to not subject them to me).

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    Please merge the servers. The game would be much more fun if there were others to play with.
    Who gets to keep overlapping guild names and character names? That alone caused incredible grief and a number of people to quit last time they merged.

It took me two weeks to get into a level 90+ guild and a user channel frequented by other similarly leveled guilds. These two weeks were spent joining their parties and proving I was more than a simple red shirt. If you are unable to do this, you're probably not wanted in these guilds/user channels to begin with. In that case, I wish you a lot of fun with your next game.
    What if I´m dedicated casual player, but in no way a candidate for an uber guild/user channel? (red shirt?) I can´t play the game in your terms, can I? ("In that case, I wish you a lot of fun with your next game")

Besides elitists s***holes, could anybody point me out a friendly to dedicated casual gamers channel? I love my 53lev guild, btw. It´s just we are only 5 guys on different time zones, so no much guild questing. But I´ll never quit on my friends there, we are like a long distance family :-) with a hard obtained home (ship).

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post

Eris2323- The reason some people decide to not put up LFM’s is easily understandable by your replies. The lack of initiative and lack of wanting to learn is good enough reason for me (and many more) to stay away from pugs or even starting LFM’s.
    Lack of initiative or wanting to learn? I´ve posted lfms pretty often (not that they fill) and i think I´ve learnt a lot in my 2 years of ddo. But I dont have the time nor the skills (I guess) to gear and play an uber build. Does that mean I´m not worthy of the game? Don´t get me wrong, I dont have anything against uber players sticking with other uber players only. My problem is with uber players zerging (when i lead) or just leaving the quest without a word.

But, wait a minute... we agree! You stay on your uber group, I´ll lead my casual players one.

The problem is, you say lfm are empty because we are all noobs. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewSlarden View Post
    This isn't a skill-based game like chess or golf. This is a content mastery game and you get better at it by repeating the content enough times.
    So you are saying that someone can play a single game of chess after initially learning the rules and be a master at it? Likewise with golf? While there is a possibility someone will simply be a natural at it, that is extremely rare and most people will need to practice at it. Likewise practicing the game's content is really no different.

By skill, you mean my ability to read spoilers, tricks, and exploits on the web?
    So basically you are saying that someone has to be using tricks and exploits to achieve something you cannot? There are plenty of quests I have gone into when they initially became available, with other highly skilled DDO players, and successfully completed at the highest difficulty with a character at the quest's level. Likewise I know people who are skilled enough that after running a raid once or twice could probably go into it and solo it. Without tricks and exploits.

It comes down to understanding the limitations of your character and being comfortable with them. It is a bit like those who claim that using a Stone of Experience with a new player is bad. But why is it bad? Because they don't get practice with their character or the content. Even if they only ever run a quest once, it still helps them practice knowing the limitations of their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahiz View Post
    What if I´m dedicated casual player, but in no way a candidate for an uber guild/user channel?
    What is your definition of casual? I ask because it varies widely from person to person. I've known some who claim casual is a couple hours a day and some claim it is a couple hours per week. Also contrary to the impression you seem to have, you don't need to play a lot to work your way into user channels. What you need to do is prove you are not a waste of a party slot and are not obnoxious and rude to those around you. Personally I believe the latter is in many ways more important as my guild has blacklisted players (well, really just one player that I know of off-hand) who are obviously talented but complete jerks to those around them.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 05-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast