Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tr?*lesch View Post
    the list is ok but can i say one thing the wow forums use the same sort of login i.e account user name and password same as game name but it has been far better implemented tbh. and what happened to the personal blog page and guild page when you login.
    They killed them off intentionally. Blogs...because they said they would do something different in the future. Guild stuff because the DDO API was cruddy.... Same with character information.

I'd like to see some xml solution that grabs all character info..items...stats...quests...etc. That we could use outside of the game.

My 2 pp

T.

This list rocks so far! Thanks for taking the time to contribute your ideas. The rest is up to Turbine. This is the forum WE want. Our community wants.

This forum change decimated the community here. Many long time veterans are leaving the game. Many more are not bothering to even read or post any longer (which used to happen during breaks for the game, which in many cases helped to improve the game for us all).

The DDO community is not ok any longer. This website needs a drastic rehaul or revert.

We need a drastic change to the Plan of Action from the Turbine development and community team.

Small print: This is just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 06-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Its just odd that the community has to request that the new forum do all of the things the old forum did. All of those people hours spent turning the old forum into this new entity which did nothing more than remove previous features and cause more irritation, could have been used otherwise enhancing/improving/expanding the game - or even actually UPGRADING the old forum.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Its just odd that the community has to request that the new forum do all of the things the old forum did. All of those people hours spent turning the old forum into this new entity which did nothing more than remove previous features and cause more irritation, could have been used otherwise enhancing/improving/expanding the game - or even actually UPGRADING the old forum.
    Yep, I agree 100%. It was a colossal waste of resources.

However, that's the past (and present). This thread is about the future. And its calling for a return to the past, or, how to make this site deliver... step by step.

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

The future only needed one alteration from the past. The rep system needed to be taken behind the barn and shot.

Everything else was fine. If they want to know what to to do to make the forums more friendly for the users, they have a decent template to look at - the previous forums.

I have a feeling the way this was implemented was on purpose in order to cull the number of people hours needed to manage and sanitize the forums when needed. Note the flood control method of making people log in frequently due to time outs, and purging of most of the old threads, as well as blog pages and such, as well as the amount of time alot of this has gone unaddressed.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Also note that the forums are made from vbulletin which tbh is **** i have used many diffrent forums from dupral to phpnuke and my faveourite so far has to be E107. so easy to set and use. and the amount of stuff you can add to it like the character screens that pull all the xml data from the game and such.

I'd like to add to the list the massive amounts of collected knowledge lost to new players with the loss of the old boards. A big chunk of any questions you might have had, had been answered on the forums but they're not longer accessible via google. Outside of new post, everything else gets a 404 message - leaving the newbs who actually try and learn the game unable to access what used to be a very large collection of shared knowledge.
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I got that same feeling when Turbine MotUed my cleric. A year later, I can now look forward to him being reMotUed with the pending enhancement pass.

However, I am reassured by the fact that these people are experts, and are really good at their jobs. They have told us so. I simply keep repeating that message to myself whenever I run through the now vacant streets of Stormreach, on the rare occasions when I bother to log on at all.

So three months later, I'm wondering what people think of the site now? More used to it by now? Like it? Hate it?

Can anyone think of any more improvements that can be taken to improve this site to bring it back to its original splendor?
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 09-03-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    So three months later, I'm wondering what people think of the site now? More used to it by now? Like i? Hate it?

Can anyone think of any more improvements that can be taken to improve this site to bring it back to its original splendor?
    Terrible forums, borderline serves no purpose.

So three months later, I'm wondering what people think of the site now? More used to it by now? Like i? Hate it?

They are tolerably bad, I guess.

The main improvement I'd want to see is to get rid of the Bad Gateways, which do seem to be better since they worked on them. Short of that, too many bad things need fixing to know where to start.

So three months later, I'm wondering what people think of the site now?
    From where I am sitting it looks like they have returned to business as usual. It took all but four minutes for a completely pointless question to be answered. It took as little for the usual troll(s) to appear and cry out in impotent rage.
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    From where I am sitting it looks like they have returned to business as usual. It took all but four minutes for a completely pointless question to be answered. It took as little for the usual troll(s) to appear and cry out in impotent rage.
    Ahh, so by your definition, everyone that does not like this forum is a troll? I see far more than "trolls" commenting here. The thread has also been read over 6,700 times.

Impotent rage? Laughable. I do see constructive criticism. And I also see long time forum community members who DO like the game a bit upset by what has become of both the design and the once thriving forum traffic.

Now if I missed a post with "impotent rage" contained within... that was purely accidental.

So three months later, I'm wondering what people think of the site now? More used to it by now? Like it? Hate it?

It's still awful.

One click on a bookmark/favourite should bring me right to whatever I linked to to, ie Subscriptions, Today's posts, General, etc. As for the rest of what they did, awful. Awful. Awful, awful, aaarrrggghhhh it's bloody awful!

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Still awful.

The interns they hired to do the fixing job have fixed a few of the more blatant problems, but there's still many problems.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Site works fine for me now in Firefox, but it's downright terrible in Internet Explorer. In IE I get logged out every 5 minutes, the background of the typing area is gray (so I can't see what I'm writing), and I can't edit posts. I've yet to try Chrome, but I don't want any more Apple or Google related junk on my computer.

Actually, there is some funky thing going on with security certificates in Firefox. It says the site can't be trusted and you have to manually make an exception for it to work properly.
    Last edited by Forzah; 09-04-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Ahh, so by your definition, everyone that does not like this forum is a troll?
    That's a curious interpretation considering the only defining attribute I used was posts happening four minutes after yours.

Impotent rage? Laughable. I do see constructive criticism. And I also see long time forum community members who DO like the game a bit upset by what has become of both the design and the once thriving forum traffic.
    It's over-the top dramatizations and exaggerations like these which make me think what really bothered you is that people moved on and stopped complaining about your peeve. I never made any statement about the entire thread, state of the forum or general opinions expressed here, but was very specific to when and what I was referring (also, for the record, the one person posting within those four does actually have "troll" as part of his handle).

That's why I was speculating your true motivation is to stir old flames a little bit and pick a fight while at it. The fact you only replied to my dissenting post and tone of your response does not actually proof my theory wrong either, y'know?

I see far more than "trolls" commenting here. The thread has also been read over 6,700 times.
    Well, there you go. You were wondering if the site should go bye-bye or if people got more used to it. Your own thread has various types of players posting on it, got read many thousands of times and even when reviving it three months later generated multiple responses within the hour. Thriving enough for you?
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Well, there you go. You were wondering if the site should go bye-bye or if people got more used to it. Your own thread has various types of players posting on it, got read many thousands of times and even when reviving it three months later generated multiple responses within the hour. Thriving enough for you?
    Compare these new forums to the old forums, and the old forums win handedly. The search mechanism still doesnt work properly. This is one of the most basic things a forum can have.

Indeed, people did get used to it, just like they do in game, and are able to work around the issues that exist in order to post their thoughts. While that doesnt mean the forum needs to go bye bye, it still does have a ways to go before it begins to function like the old forum did.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Site works fine for me now in Firefox, but it's downright terrible in Internet Explorer. In IE I get logged out every 5 minutes, the background of the typing area is gray (so I can't see what I'm writing), and I can't edit posts. I've yet to try Chrome, but I don't want any more Apple or Google related junk on my computer.

Actually, there is some funky thing going on with security certificates in Firefox. It says the site can't be trusted and you have to manually make an exception for it to work properly.

Same. Works just fine for me in Firefox. I have no issues with this site.
    Last edited by Postumus; 09-04-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Same. Works just fine for me in Firefox. I have no issues with this site.
    With over 5000 posts under your belt, I'm willing to admit you may be more a little more experienced with the forums than me

So what am I (and possibly others) doing wrong?

Old Forums in Firefox: I had a button on my bookmarks toolbar that when I clicked it, took me straight to a logged in page listing all the forums (general, suggestions, etc) and from there I could single click to get to my subscriptions, I think it was by clicking on control panel which listed new posts in your subscribed threads.

New Forums in Firefox: I click my bookmark ( https://www.ddo.com/forums/ ) it brings me to a nice list of forums (general, suggestions, etc) exactly as I expected, though I am not logged in, it doesn't save my login between browser sessions like it used to.

I click login at the top of the screen, it takes me away from the forums to a log in page. I log in, now I'm on some DDO advertisement page, not returned to the forums. I mouse over community and click on Forums and hooray, I'm back to the Forums. Now I can click through via 'quick links' to subscribed threads or jump into general, etc.

Most forums I use, I can one click off a bookmark straight to the equivalent of general or subscribed threads, the new DDO forums don't let me get close to that functionality. Is this new lengthy process what you (and a few other more experienced posters) are saying is fine, ie 'working as intended', or am I just plain doing it wrong? I really hope it's me that's the problem, because I'm open to education and changing my ways...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast