Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We do have an update to the web site set tentatively for tomorrow which aims to address some of the OP's concerns. Stay tuned for a downtime announcement later today pending a few confirmations. Some things like "remember me" are still being haggled over. On the dev front, we've got some cool information to share shortly on the expansion and Iconics, again, stay tuned. The past couple weeks have been a challenge on the forum front, but we're working hard to get account-related issues dealt with along with addressing some of the more frequent requests from folks.
    .... I bet its been a challenge... Thanks for some news...

(oh..btw.... on my pc ...not sure if anyone else has this issue...but the smiley icons are all broken... I have to go by the ALT text to know which is which.)

Nuth'n but luv Devs!

Unfortunately, it looks like I should have waited an hour or so before making the post. The web site update at this point appears likely to be pushed out just a little bit further due to a bunch of other things that are taking place. I'll have more information later today on that other stuff perhaps. Thanks! This is absolutely a priority, though.
    /sigh....

Guess I should have kept reading the thread before my above post.

Must really suck to have a big target on your back...

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    (oh..btw.... on my pc ...not sure if anyone else has this issue...but the smiley icons are all broken... I have to go by the ALT text to know which is which.)
    At first it was all like

But then it was all like

I feel your pain...
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Ain't got enough /Props to pass out to everyone I agree with thru this thread.

Priorities for me:
    Gray background.
    Dev Tracker.

A big plus to being able to embed vids now, tho.

The new format drove me off. Off-Topic brought me back. For now.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 05-21-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerD View Post
    Cordovan,

Thanks for the update. I think everyone is just getting really annoyed at the response time on the forum issues..
    Well they would respond quicker but the forums are messed up so bad they can't really be expected to post in them

Community Member

The past couple weeks have been a challenge on the forum front, but we're working hard to get account-related issues dealt with along with addressing some of the more frequent requests from folks.
    Forum software has been in a mature state for nearly a decade, so it's pretty comical how badly this was bungled. I've seen much smaller companies, with way fewer resources, screw up their forums moving to new versions and still get it fixed in days if not a few short weeks. It's not as if the world has a shortage of PHP gurus or college students.

They do read Human Interface Guidelines over there at Turbine, yes? Or are they simply furthering their quest to build a comprehensive set of Human Irritation Guidelines?

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Well they would respond quicker but the forums are messed up so bad they can't really be expected to post in them

/Hit Reply.

/Relog in. GAH!

/Give a moment's appreciation that log screen actually redirected me back to my reply. Hmm.

/Add *chuckle*.

/Add appropriate picture:
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Forum software has been in a mature state for nearly a decade, so it's pretty comical how badly this was bungled. I've seen much smaller companies, with way fewer resources, screw up their forums moving to new versions and still get it fixed in days if not a few short weeks. It's not as if the world has a shortage of PHP gurus or college students.

They do read Human Interface Guidelines over there at Turbine, yes? Or are they simply furthering their quest to build a comprehensive set of Human Irritation Guidelines?
    ^ this, someone there at turbine both 1) doesn't know what they're doing and 2) thinks they know what they're doing.

Cases in point in reality:

Game login combined with forum login = bad security
    Remember me = good security

Person responsible for this load: Lets combine game and forum account and oh, lets get rid of remember me feature...

So the only possible conclusion is: someone at Turbine who has no qualifications is making decisions, and the people there who do have qualifications are not willing to tell that person the correct information.

This must be painful for the qualified lower ranking IT people there, as the know nothing shirt is probably FULL of stupid ideas and is probably a real chore to deal with.

We do have an update to the web site set tentatively for tomorrow which aims to address some of the OP's concerns. Stay tuned for a downtime announcement later today pending a few confirmations. Some things like "remember me" are still being haggled over. On the dev front, we've got some cool information to share shortly on the expansion and Iconics, again, stay tuned. The past couple weeks have been a challenge on the forum front, but we're working hard to get account-related issues dealt with along with addressing some of the more frequent requests from folks.
    Thank you Jerry for taking the time to update us. Also its great that updates are coming, but I hope that its the first of several, so more of the items on this list can be addressed.

Oh, and remember I got your back on haggle so if they need some fascina... ermm convincing, I can do ya a solid!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    The new format drove me off. Off-Topic brought me back. For now.
    Haha you and me both!

Oh yeah and before they kill off the video feature (well just in case, hehe) this must be done:

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Unfortunately, it looks like I should have waited an hour or so before making the post. The web site update at this point appears likely to be pushed out just a little bit further due to a bunch of other things that are taking place. I'll have more information later today on that other stuff perhaps. Thanks! This is absolutely a priority, though.
    Its ok Jerry, at least we know you'll have this as top priority, can you please alert the powers that be about this thread (if you havent already? )

Community Member MarcusCleardawn's Avatar

Yes.

Given how long it seems it will take to address the multitude of issues, I personally think it would be better to have nothing at all than this. I am deeply disappointed that some of the great institutional knowledge has been lost. If you were a new player and were looking for build advice or Mr. Cow's excellent videos and came here there's very little that's worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by lugoman View Post
    Every time I hit the reply button and it tells me to log in, I just leave ddo forums. When I do take the time to login, it doesn't take me right back to the post I was looking at so I have to search for it. Lame. To many hoops to jump through to participate in a discussion.
    This is pretty much my take on it.
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    I have never seen our site anywhere near this dead. As a long time poster, it saddens me that so few people actually post any longer. It has lost it's flow, its ability to draw folks here and/or to stay here.

I see no other way to revive the forum community than to revert back to the old site, before they combined the classes, preferably.

What is everyone's opinions -- and more importantly -- can you think of ways you would improve this site to make it actually work as well as the old site did.

Naturally if you like the way it is, it would be good to hear from you as well.

Here's my short list of necessary changes needed to the current site, which I'll add to based on replies:

1. The text background should go back to black, grey just messes images up with solid backgrounds.

2. The forum pane is way too small - I'd enlarge it by at least 35% at the cost of the artwork on either side.

3. Search color options are pathetic. Beige/White forces me to highlight text to read it.

4. Relentless log in requests.

5. Wont remember login for future visits. Login is maddening, staying in is worse.

6. Dev tracker broken.

7. Using game login as forum login is good for Turbine to block cheaters but opens US up for potential attack. There needs to be a better way.

8. Devs to make some posts about the upcoming changes to stir up discussion and excitement. For example, put a firm time on the enhancement pass. Early preview is good. Players are worried and don't want to muck something up. Let us know how long we have.

9. When I log on, take me back to where I was - not the freaking base page!

10. Forced to log in again after writing an in-depth post, then have to search for the thread again and lose what you typed.

11. "Edit Post" button sometimes disappears and you need to refresh.

12. When the forum auto-logs me out it tends to marks all posts as read so the "new post" button won't work.

Things we like that shouldn't be reverted back:

1. Embed videos.
    While I agree that the forums are horrible looking since the update, threads like these have no place here. They are almost as sad as the server merge because "you" can't create your own lfm and always wait on others to.

If you want to get the forums active promote them ingame. Or make a thread where you can talk to yourself and keep it active. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has voices that talk inside there head, just post up and respond to them and let them respond in your own little thread.

i don't frequent the forums because this is still not my original forum name, I cant read posts or log in on my Android phone and I cant stay logged in at all anyways. I jump on here once in a great while when im bored, but today is the first time in a week logging in. when these problems for me are fixed, than I might frequent more often.
    Qhualor, the P2W ranter.

The forums are a pain, but I cannot be bothered to care.

I would much prefer Turbine to put all resources into U18 and the expansion over the boards.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    While I agree that the forums are horrible looking since the update, threads like these have no place here. They are almost as sad as the server merge because "you" can't create your own lfm and always wait on others to.
    Sure there's a place. Hell it's great to see the community get together and respond. Most fun I've had on the forums in months. It just felt to me, literally, with no exaggeration meant, like an apocalypse.

Maybe with Jerry's help, we can get this to the web designers - so they can see what the community wants to see. At least now we know there's changes down the pipe to make this a better place. Sure some will say "they dont care." I know that's not true.

Finally this thread wasn't designed to vent, although a bit of venting is clearly in order due to the drastic change in design and security "features" (within the forum guidelines of course). This is more for describing why this site doesnt work, it's frustrations -- and most importantly how it can be improved. This way, before its too late, maybe we can get people back who've made this a hell of a great community in the last seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Haha. Well the thread got noticed, we learned they are working on something, and over 4,000 hits from forum community members still lurking, I'll take that!

I hope whatever they replace this "hunk-a-hunk-a-burning-junk" with, it helps bring the community back together.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 05-26-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Hmmm, this is not a bad list so far. I wonder how many of these great community ideas get implemented...

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Hmmm, this is not a bad list so far. I wonder how many of these great community ideas get implemented...
    the list is ok but can i say one thing the wow forums use the same sort of login i.e account user name and password same as game name but it has been far better implemented tbh. and what happened to the personal blog page and guild page when you login.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast