Community Member

Default Yeah, another new guy post.

Goodday fellow gamers!

Tomorrow I will probably start playing DDO, but I was wondering if it still is a game worth spending time in as a long lost Baldurs Gate fan?
    Now I have played LotRO so I am kind of familiar with the whole Turbine thing. I guess what Im expecting is a Baldurs Gate in mmorpg form.

Any pointers and tips for tomorrow? Ive set my sights on a Cleric. I just hope there is enough dynamic content and enough players around for me to get addicted

Cheers

Community Member

You will love the game.

But it does have it's Warts.

Oh, And I would recommend Thelanis server. DDOWiki will be your best friend in the game, you can search pretty much anything you want to know about the game there.

Cleric is good, A lot of players start there. I did too.
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 05-20-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by PanZie View Post
    Any pointers and tips for tomorrow? Ive set my sights on a Cleric. I just hope there is enough dynamic content and enough players around for me to get addicted
    Having just leveled up my necro cleric, you might be interested to take a look at the build. (Link in signature.) It's sort of a "best of both worlds" kind of build, going melee for levels 1-11 then switching to casting from 12 on.

Melee from level 1-11 is incredibly fun.
    Casting from 12 on is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by PanZie View Post
    Goodday fellow gamers!

Tomorrow I will probably start playing DDO, but I was wondering if it still is a game worth spending time in as a long lost Baldurs Gate fan?
    Now I have played LotRO so I am kind of familiar with the whole Turbine thing. I guess what Im expecting is a Baldurs Gate in mmorpg form.

Cheers
    Hi and Welcome.

DDO has some similarities with Baldurs, but honestly it has more differences. It's pointless to try and describe it to you... you'll just have to check it out. Suffice it to say that I think DDO is THE BEST d&d game ever made. You'll need to more than a little bit of time learning the game, and a significant amount more to 'master' it. Starting a Cleric is a fine way to go, but do take the time to search the New Player forums for some solid new player builds. Even forearmed with that info, you may very well scrap a half dozen builds before settling on something that really 'fits' your style. And yes, do start on Thelanis.

Community Member

100% agree with what everyone else has already said.

I don't have much to add aside from Welcome.

Just want to reinforce that DDOWiki should become something you consult reguarly if you
    want to skip learning a lot of stuff the hard way, and having to recreate to get what you
    want, or figure out how a lot of the more confusing dungeons are run.

If you havent joined one as of yet, you'll find being in a guild very helpful for a number of
    reasons: built-in groups, ship buffs, information, etc...

Big welcome first.

Regarding differences, DDO is D&D, but do not expect it to be Forgotten Realms style. You start in Eberron, a world more inclined to steampunk and steam&magic. If you prefer High Fantasy, Eberron is somewhat disappointing.

Second, as this game being f2p but supporting an ingame currency (actually, 3 currencies, platinum, astral shards and turbine points, but that would just confuse here) you need to use for "buying" new content, expect some grind. You will need some time to unlock more adventure packs and this. Alternatively expect to invest some money.

Third, as a player of Baldurs Gate, expect some hefty changes to the rules and rule sets you are used to. Expect to be DDO more "heroic" with many things larger scaled than in classic D&D games. Expect to meet monsters having 70 - 100 hit points on level 2 quests, but expect to find ways of doling out 30 damage on the same level.

My personal suggestions: Start the cleric or the barb. Both are good 1st choices to start with. But do not expect them to grow old.

Welcome to DDO! You'll love it, as long as you don't take bugs personally...

I vaguely remember the days of playing Baldurs Gate, and it's not the same. However, I'm enjoying DDO more than BG. If you need help, ddowiki is usually a great option, and if not you can always ask the forumites and watch flamewars ensue about the best way to solve your problem.

Especially in the early levels, if you're any good at playing you'll get into groups easily and can dungeon crawl to your heart's content. As a cleric, one little thing - whatever the reason, if someone dies there's a fair chance they'll blame their death on you, even though they were down the hall and around the corner trying to solo the undead hoardes while you were resting to recoup your spell points. If that happens (fortunately it's not all that common), fire them as someone to group with and move on.

Oh, and constitution is NOT a dumpstat. Remember that... and remember to repeat it to the 47hp L3 rogue when they join your party and die at the hands of the first kobold shaman while trying to disarm the first trap in the dungeon instead of bluffing them and backstabbing them into history. As previously said, Barbarians are the hardest class to mess up accidentally. They generally do need some form of incoming healing, but especially at the lower levels they're really good at beating the living daylights out of anything their level before they know what's going on. You can play with character building without going through the process with Ron's Character Planner, but you may want to just play for a bit to figure out what you do and don't want in your character.

Above all, enjoy! And join us on Ghallanda. (nah, you don't have to, but that would mean I could have your stuff if you ever leave )
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Community Member

Thanks guys! I did check out the wiki site, sure did look usefull.
    I expected the ruleset to be different from Baldurs Gate (along with other tweaks needed for an mmo) so thats no suprise I guess!

I'll be heading towards the new player forum to check out some more tips etc.

See you ingame

welcome to DDO buddy! hope u have a good time!

a starter tip i can give u is: do not skip Toughness Feat!!
    Proud officer of The Balance, in Khyber
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing
    My trade list: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-My-Trade-List

Default Welcome!!

I used to LOVE all of those games - the BG's, Icewind Dale's (yes, I know they're part of the BG's), etc.! You will love it here, as this game is a ridiculous amount of fun. I am only a part-time player here, so the content for me is nearly infinite. If you play a lot, you might feel different, but it's all good!

I agree with everything already posted here - DDOWiki, Con, Barb, Cleric and guilds; remember that whichever way you choose to play (rose-sniffer, zerger or somewhere in between), and whatever character you choose to run, that way is the RIGHT way for you no matter what anyone says.

Have fun - again, this game has an amazing amount of it!
    Founder #9518
    The problem with being punctual is that no one is there to appreciate it...

Quote Originally Posted by Garumn View Post
    I used to LOVE all of those games - the BG's, Icewind Dale's (yes, I know they're part of the BG's), etc.! You will love it here, as this game is a ridiculous amount of fun. I am only a part-time player here, so the content for me is nearly infinite. If you play a lot, you might feel different, but it's all good!

I agree with everything already posted here - DDOWiki, Con, Barb, Cleric and guilds; remember that whichever way you choose to play (rose-sniffer, zerger or somewhere in between), and whatever character you choose to run, that way is the RIGHT way for you no matter what anyone says.

Have fun - again, this game has an amazing amount of it!
    Refreshing to see someone with this much enthusiasm for the game. I love it too, bugs and all. Lots of Doomsayers in the forums, but you'll find the people actually in the game a bit more positve.

As to the OP....Welcome to the Jungle.

This game is freaking awesome. It's also very, very deep. So don't even imagine you're going to understand much of what's going on or what you're doing for quite some time. It's part of the learning process, and frankly, part of what makes the game so durable.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say use DDOwiki sparingly. Sure, use it for class info and character creation. But don't look up quests and spoilers. Part of the fun and adventure of this game is *not knowing*. Most of the folks on this board have played everything a million times, and again, that's part of the durability of the game. You can play it over and over. But you'll never, ever get back that new toon smell. Enjoy it, relish it, and take your time to look around the game.

The game is best enjoyed with people that share your relative experience level, so try to hook up with some other newer players.

As far as character generation goes, I have two pieces of advice. Don't dump CON, and don't worry too much about screwing up your advancement choices. I highly recommend staying pure for your first toon, multiclassing is great but it's a lot easier to screw up a toon. If you make a mistake with a feat, you get 1 free respec from Lockania in the marketplace, and you can respec after that with various dragonshards found throughout the game. You can also respec your enhancements every three days by using a small amount of in game currency (platinum) so don't hesitate to use your action points. And if worse comes to worse, you can use a lesser reincarnation to completely start over with a toon, rerolling stats and everything. So don't sweat the small details, jump in and have fun. As you figure things out, you'll be able to fix most any mistake you make with character generation.

One thing that's hard to change is alignment, so make sure you get that right.

Enjoy!

Cool

Welcome to the game!

I suggest for you to find a friend to play with you. Grouping is the best way to get into everything in my opinion.

Also.. I say you should try out a rogue but that is just my personal addiction.

(rogues are the best)

One thing I like to impart on new players is that there may come a time where you look around the game and say: "Ok this game is all about crawling through sewers and killing kobolds."

This is only true in the beginning, as you level, you will see a lot more varied environments. So much so, that you'll forget that you were in sewers in the first place.

The game is a blast, I hope you have some fun! And as kookiekobold said, get a friend to join you.