Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

/signed
    I think an Argo merge with one of the lower population servers would be a positive thing. And to the peeps saying just transfer to a more populated server, last I heard world transfers were disabled. I love my server and wouldn't want to leave anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by colinski283 View Post
    28 groups playing lvl 1 - epic, that's pretty terrible. Like 4 groups per level range.
    Keep in mind that on Argo, a lot of people are grouping in chat channels and with guildies. Get into a guild that runs a lot together. A lot of guild mergers have cut lfm's quite a bit too. Good luck!

I do however tend to support merging another server, maybe a small one or two.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by 1Soulless1 View Post
    No really there doesn't. Argo is a great place and I love it. That is all.
    Just remember, just because you love Argo, doesn't mean Argo loves you!

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Thelanis last night had 9 LFM's.the most populated server or tied for most populated with khyber

Also one of you divided LFM's by 1-20 levels there's 25 levels, your 3-ish LFM's per level range is probably more like 2.5 ish when you factor in 20-25. If you factor in that there are no hard set level ranges the number drops even more.

Level ranges also have a problem... the game really doesn't have 1-4, 4-7, 7-10, 10-14... The ranges are much less stratified, you might have a 1-4 in the same panel as a 2-4, and a 4-5 for a 3rd level quest that you can't join at 3rd level because the leader doesn't want anyone below the quest level to join to make it easier for him to complete. You also get 1-25's (loot runs and favor only) and all sorts of variations. The truth is that 20 LFM's total is a very unhealthy number for this games LFM system, because it's so filled with other impediments, once you drop below the critical mass threshold you get people leaving because there's nothing to do besides solo. Most people are joiners not leaders, that means lots of people have VERY limited options for LFM's to join... that means lots of people are looking for another game to play or something else to do because they can't play DDO.

Wow when are you playing? Are you playing right now? I only get on from 11 pm - 2 am US Central time. The times I have logged in what seems would be prime time at 8 PM US time it was still no different, almost no parties. If you are playing now then I would never see it. But at this time in US everyone is at school and working. I dont see how it would be full now.

Do i need to open some ports or something lol?
    Ive been pugging epic content off and on for most of the day. US CST.

"Full" (LFM) is a relative term. My experience has been that there are usually LFM's on Argo in practically every level range throughout the day. I can be on anywhere from 9 am through 11 pm.

Sometimes there are less, sometimes there are more. And the LFM panel doesn't take into account guild and channel runs.

Argo isn't something I would call anywhere close to being dead.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo, LOOON, Hobaggin, Buttscracher, FuglyDbag

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Thelanis last night had 9 LFM's.the most populated server or tied for most populated with khyber

Also one of you divided LFM's by 1-20 levels there's 25 levels, your 3-ish LFM's per level range is probably more like 2.5 ish when you factor in 20-25. If you factor in that there are no hard set level ranges the number drops even more.

Level ranges also have a problem... the game really doesn't have 1-4, 4-7, 7-10, 10-14... The ranges are much less stratified, you might have a 1-4 in the same panel as a 2-4, and a 4-5 for a 3rd level quest that you can't join at 3rd level because the leader doesn't want anyone below the quest level to join to make it easier for him to complete. You also get 1-25's (loot runs and favor only) and all sorts of variations. The truth is that 20 LFM's total is a very unhealthy number for this games LFM system, because it's so filled with other impediments, once you drop below the critical mass threshold you get people leaving because there's nothing to do besides solo. Most people are joiners not leaders, that means lots of people have VERY limited options for LFM's to join... that means lots of people are looking for another game to play or something else to do because they can't play DDO.
    Very well said sir, thank you

I don't know about others, but after spending my time in Lammania testing the coming enhancement pass and seeing the devs outright stating that some of the most detrimental issues with the new enhancement pass will not be changed, it kind of put me off playing.

I have been playing maybe once or twice a week instead of every evening ever since I saw that enhancement pass and I've been spending most of my time in City of Steam (NWO can go eat some d***s for all I care). I recommend it if you like steampunk-ish, dark settings and it has the option of browser play or download from Steam.

Still, I'm not abandoning DDO completely and I'm waiting to see what comes on the second run of the enhancement pass even if just the "alpha" already showed me how screwed up the builds will be, especially on casters.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

I play on Argo, and don't get online until after work, so 11 eastern time, 8 west coast. I don't find a problem finding groups until about 4 hours after that time, when the west coasters start to go to sleep. And often, I run into some Euro or Aussie players around then, and can keep going until I fall asleep on my keyboard.

It does help that I'll be flexible as to the characters that I'll play. I might not be able to find anything for my current TR project, and have to run one of my endgame toons, or vice-versa. But I almost always find something fun to run.
    Argonessen: Jhanrae, Weisen Heimer, Chaard O'Nay, Soulah, and more. Khyber: Dyzzie and Myssie for escape from Argo drama

Quote Originally Posted by TheMash View Post
    Currently there's 26 lfm's up on Argonessen (not counting the bugged ones with no players in them).

Personally I rarely have any problems filling a group and I'm rarely on at peak hours since I'm european. That said I would also like a server merge since more people = more fun.

I still can't help but feel that you're making it a bigger deal than it is though.
    lol ima go make number 27! Then their will be 27 people looking for grp bwahaha
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

28 groups playing lvl 1 - epic, that's pretty terrible. Like 4 groups per level range.
    I never have a problem finding a group to play with. The question is do I want to do one of those quest. I can form my own group or go solo, that choice is up to me. :-)

PS yes we are on the same server

Argo is extremely channel-based. It's filled with dozens of tight-knit groups that usually only take outsiders in dungeons or make LFM's when there's not enough people that want to do the same thing in the group. Argo never had a lot of LFM's because most business is done in channels and guilds. The only way to get anywhere in Argo is to make friends and join channels. When it comes to population, Argo is almost as populated as Khyber.

But I do agree to some server merging. There's several servers with tiny populations that could easily bolster the larger ones.

I also blame any recent activity on Lammania. It pulls people away from the live servers.

Community Member

How many do you need? Seriously if there were 20 per level I'd be more worried because that means groups weren't quickly filling and getting removed from the list.

I've been playing on Argo since the F2P transition, so total froob some 4ish years or so. I've never gotten into the channel grouping and only rarely been in a guild that internally filled more than it was just a collection of puggers. May have something to do with my asocial personality (total shock to have one being an online gamer). There are demonstrably fewer LFMs now then when I started playing. However, I play nights on EST and I have never had a problem finding or starting a group almost exclusively through the LFM system. I also just tend to take whoever, sometimes post BYOH/IP, sometimes not just an LFM with no text.

So, I wouldn't characterize it as a need to merge servers to solve the problem of finding groups. Though I do see a downward trajectory, probably a combination of an aging game and established players closing ranks. You might be better off trying to establish a culture of open pugging, learning raids, etc. But that takes personal effort so other actions that involve having Turbine solve the problem instead could be reduced or personalized death xp penalty, instance quest teleport, reduced TR xp curve, or even completely doing away with the channel/guild system. Last ones in jest but its more about highlighting how changes to culture/incentives or your own personal approach to grouping may be more effective to realizing your goals than just merging two servers together and maintaining the status quo.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

On one hand "not a lot of LFM's" could mean a reduction in PuGs, but on an other hand it could also mean PuGs fill so fast their LFMs don't stay up long.

Guild Groups and Channel Groups also reduce the number of LFM's, as these groups are running with what can be referred to as "Known" members or at least a shared agenda.

I think using the LFM system as a "Measure of Life" on a server is only a small part of server life. Things we can't measure as users is Guild group activity, closed group activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Guild Groups and Channel Groups also reduce the number of LFM's, as these groups are running with what can be referred to as "Known" members or at least a shared agenda.
    I suspect that the changes to renown that made it not horribly punish larger guilds have led to a lot more larger guilds that are more likely to have enough guildies online to group with that things don't go to LFM as often.

I would suggest for Argo to merge with Wayfinder. So both server have something positive comming from the merge... *ducking away from the flames*

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    lol ima go make number 27! Then their will be 27 people looking for grp bwahaha
    It's funny because it's true

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Keep in mind that on Argo, a lot of people are grouping in chat channels and with guildies. Get into a guild that runs a lot together. A lot of guild mergers have cut lfm's quite a bit too. Good luck!

I do however tend to support merging another server, maybe a small one or two.
    I don't think a merge is necessary, but this is exactly it. I've seen more activity lately in my guild and the guilds we generally run with because there are more members on consistently. Rather than posting LFMs we're just running together.

It's also May; end of the school year for kids (and more relevant to DDO, parents), vacations (or putting in more hours before vacation), outdoor stuff, and so forth. It's usually quieter from now until mid-July.

Community Member

Maybe they are just hiding from you because they don't want to run with you? Ever consider that? Didn't think so.

Community Member

/signed.

Thelanis is dead during Australian evenings. I'm talking tumbleweeds.

It is reasonably active during US prime time, but still by no means crowded. Server merge would help. I would be interested to know how many players are hosted on a WOW server at peak times. I bet it isn't the paltry 150-200 players I tend to see when Thelanis is 'busy'.

I agree that the number of LFMs is a variable indicator of how busy a server is. I have found however that it is reasonably correlated with the number of players online. Both have been dropping. Can't blame it on NWN because the falling numbers pre-date that.

Regarding this:

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    -Increased lag, thats always a concern and you cant just discount it arbitrarily...if lag was so easy to prevent, then why do we still have it at all?
    -Smaller servers are a closer community. You get more self-regulation of d-bags and a-holes in General chat, etc. Corollary to that, the players that do enjoy small-server environments tend not to be those same d-bag "power gamer" types, so the community that does develop tends to be a bit more mature. Groups that do form tend to be less exclusionary of niche builds, casual gamers, first-lifers, etc.
    -Economy less prone to inflation, particularly from exploiters exploiting.
    -You can get/keep the name you want. Server merges usually mean the smaller server gets shafted for name conflicts.

-Not so much in an all-instance game like DDO, but generally for MMOs, smaller servers mean less competition for fixed shared resources (ie spawns, etc.). It does play into DDO for shared-world events like Mabar or Crystal Cove, somewhat, though the spawn rate is usually great enough that its not really a "fixed" resource.

There are valid reasons for wanting to preserve small-server communities.
    Droid, that is a very cogent set of reasons not to merge. I would live with all of those downsides in a heartbeat if it meant more people around at both peak and off-peak times.
    Member of Storm Lords on Thelanis.
    In game: Unshriven, Unbidden, Unsated, and Unfazed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast