Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default There needs to be a server merge (argonnessen)

I love this game and Im VIP but i doubt i will continue to play much longer because there is hardly anyone online playing. I play on argonnessen and I have toons in all level ranges. There is never more than 2-3 LFM groups on and those themselves are barely full.

The only remedy for this is to merge the servers so it feels like an MMO again instead of some ghost town private server.

I feel the LFM party system is fine. You set up a group and allow people to join even once you start the quest. That system is great. Now we only need people to play.

The game was made back in 2006 and it is showing its age but its still one i want to play alongside other people. Lets have a server merge so we feel like an MMO again and it will make me want to keep playing.
    Last edited by colinski283; 05-20-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Community Member

Orrrrr you could just transfer to/reroll on a higher-pop server..?

Some people prefer the lower-pop servers. Its much easier for you just to move to the big city, than to try and turn Smallville into Metropolis, to the dismay of all the Kents and Langs.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Orrrrr you could just transfer to/reroll on a higher-pop server..?

Some people prefer the lower-pop servers. Its much easier for you just to move to the big city, than to try and turn Smallville into Metropolis, to the dismay of all the Kents and Langs.

I would be more than willing to transfer all my characters to a high pop server such as Khyber if it were free. To my understanding they want to charge for that. No way, Im already supporting the game as VIP and im not going to pay more money just to transfer because the game is dying. The transfer service still isn't in service last i checked anyways.

Community Member

Currently there's 26 lfm's up on Argonessen (not counting the bugged ones with no players in them).

Personally I rarely have any problems filling a group and I'm rarely on at peak hours since I'm european. That said I would also like a server merge since more people = more fun.

I still can't help but feel that you're making it a bigger deal than it is though.

Community Member

No really there doesn't. Argo is a great place and I love it. That is all.

All you disgruntled players reading this no matter what server, who don't want to pay to transfer, come roll up new toons on Sarlona. We are always looking for fresh meat to play with. We raid constantly, we have nearly constant leveling trains, all sorts of players at all times of the day.

Yes, this is an official post from an official representative of the Sarlona wants You! society.

Community Member

Agreed, not enough going on. Lots of groups are filled through channels and everything but that still isn't enough. Having to wait for lfm's to fill because of low server population is no fun.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 05-20-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Community Member

I've never really understood why people would be against merging servers assuming there's no technical constraints or increased lag. I don't have a problem with the current activity level on Cannith, but I don't see how more could be anything other than a good thing.

I sure wouldn't mind raid groups filling faster, standing around waiting for a group to fill is such a downer. Waiting for a healer or other role-filler is one thing, but when you just can't get warm bodies to join it really sours me on the game.
    Gildus, Sabathiel, Einion, Yhvain

Cannith

No thank you. More people=more lag. If you are not having fun on your server, move somewhere else. Leave the rest of us alone, thank you very much.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zemuze, Zeeby

Post Out with the old in with the NEW!

The game's population is dwindling down regardless of the ever-so persistent neigh-sayers!. /Signed for Megaserver technology!
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Susie1262 View Post
    No thank you. More people=more lag. If you are not having fun on your server, move somewhere else. Leave the rest of us alone, thank you very much.
    I'm sure at some level that given the same server resources that you get more lag with more people, but I just don't buy that most DDO lag is load related. Cannith was a ghost town in the months preceding MotU, and it was also the laggiest period we've had.

I would just assume that all requests for merging and increased server pops come with the caveat of "assuming it can be done without notable performance reductions." Nobody wants lag.
    Gildus, Sabathiel, Einion, Yhvain

Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by TheMash View Post
    Currently there's 26 lfm's up on Argonessen (not counting the bugged ones with no players in them).

Personally I rarely have any problems filling a group and I'm rarely on at peak hours since I'm european. That said I would also like a server merge since more people = more fun.

I still can't help but feel that you're making it a bigger deal than it is though.
    There are 7 level groups from 1-20, i.e. 1-4, 4-7, 7-10, 10-13, 13-16, 16-19, 17-20. If you want to be more flexible then can just say 6 level groups.

26 groups / 7 level ranges is 3.7 parties per level group. If you do 26 groups / 6 level ranges it is still 4.3 groups per level range. An overall average of 4 groups playing at any time for your party level is still pretty terrible for an entire server.

Also, server lag isn't really because of population. It is caused by the round-trip network latency between a client game and the host server is referred to as the client's ping time. The population may have a minimal effect but not noticeable enough to cause DDO's current random lag spikes.
    Last edited by colinski283; 05-20-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Do you have the option clicked that states something like "show groups that Im not eligible for"?

If you don't have that clicked, you will only see groups in your current toon's level range. If a group is not looking for you class, those groups will not show up either.

And the only reason Im even mentioning this, is that I play on Argo and I PUG constantly, and the LFM panel is always full.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo, LOOON, Hobaggin, Buttscracher, FuglyDbag

Quote Originally Posted by rangerluna375 View Post
    Do you have the option clicked that states something like "show groups that Im not eligible for"?

If you don't have that clicked, you will only see groups in your current toon's level range. If a group is not looking for you class, those groups will not show up either.

And the only reason Im even mentioning this, is that I play on Argo and I PUG constantly, and the LFM panel is always full.
    Wow when are you playing? Are you playing right now? I only get on from 11 pm - 2 am US Central time. The times I have logged in what seems would be prime time at 8 PM US time it was still no different, almost no parties. If you are playing now then I would never see it. But at this time in US everyone is at school and working. I dont see how it would be full now.

Do i need to open some ports or something lol?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    I've never really understood why people would be against merging servers assuming there's no technical constraints or increased lag.
    -Increased lag, thats always a concern and you cant just discount it arbitrarily...if lag was so easy to prevent, then why do we still have it at all?
    -Smaller servers are a closer community. You get more self-regulation of d-bags and a-holes in General chat, etc. Corollary to that, the players that do enjoy small-server environments tend not to be those same d-bag "power gamer" types, so the community that does develop tends to be a bit more mature. Groups that do form tend to be less exclusionary of niche builds, casual gamers, first-lifers, etc.
    -Economy less prone to inflation, particularly from exploiters exploiting.
    -You can get/keep the name you want. Server merges usually mean the smaller server gets shafted for name conflicts.

-Not so much in an all-instance game like DDO, but generally for MMOs, smaller servers mean less competition for fixed shared resources (ie spawns, etc.). It does play into DDO for shared-world events like Mabar or Crystal Cove, somewhat, though the spawn rate is usually great enough that its not really a "fixed" resource.

There are valid reasons for wanting to preserve small-server communities.

If you'd tell me to merge all servers and have a marketplace with 20 instances i would still say sure do it.

I have the belief though that things will be better soon. This period is a period where people try neverwinter or other games while waiting for a new update. When Devs start hyping new content, more people will return.

Quote Originally Posted by backandforth View Post
    If you'd tell me to merge all servers and have a marketplace with 20 instances i would still say sure do it.

I have the belief though that things will be better soon. This period is a period where people try neverwinter or other games while waiting for a new update. When Devs start hyping new content, more people will return.
    I agree with this.

I've already started to see people return from neverwinter.

As a note, the LFM system usually only displays groups that are looking for members, groups that are Full or at least filled to the PL's specification will not appear on the list.

If you want to have some fun, look at the Level Ranges in your breakdown in the WHO area and look at their location which will vary from Public Area to Instanced areas such as Quests and Explorer areas.

I've experienced no problems. US pacific time zone
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by colinski283 View Post
    I love this game and Im VIP but i doubt i will continue to play much longer because there is hardly anyone online playing. I play on argonnessen and I have toons in all level ranges. There is never more than 2-3 LFM groups on and those themselves are barely full.
    Odd, at this moment, not even during prime time, I see 28 groups ranging from L1 to epic. I don't think I've ever seen under a dozen. groups at any time I've been on.

Plus, even when there is nothing on that interests me, most of the time if I put up an LFM it fills or near fills in the time it takes me to buff.

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    I've never really understood why people would be against merging servers assuming there's no technical constraints or increased lag. .
    Those of us who were around for the first server merges recall the good and bad of a merge. Yes, there were a few more groups. On other hand both guilds and individual characters lost the names they had been using since 2006. That was enough to cause a number of people to quit the game.

Not worth it. At this point the server population is fine, except of course for the DE server.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Odd, at this moment, not even during prime time, I see 28 groups ranging from L1 to epic. I don't think I've ever seen under a dozen. groups at any time I've been on.

Plus, even when there is nothing on that interests me, most of the time if I put up an LFM it fills or near fills in the time it takes me to buff.

Those of us who were around for the first server merges recall the good and bad of a merge. Yes, there were a few more groups. On other hand both guilds and individual characters lost the names they had been using since 2006. That was enough to cause a number of people to quit the game.

Not worth it. At this point the server population is fine, except of course for the DE server.
    28 groups playing lvl 1 - epic, that's pretty terrible. Like 4 groups per level range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast