Default hirelings for raid

Can we have? A lot of solo players wanna this

I think it would be a bad idea. RAIDs are big quests and sometimes with complex situations where a hireling AI can't do anything good (unless throw a heal or a ress or cure you from diseases and curses).

Besides, a RAID is a harder type of quest, specially designed to challenge. And for that purpose, hirelings are not allowed.

/not signed.
    Last edited by msdesign; 05-20-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Quote Originally Posted by msdesign View Post
    I think it would be a bad idea. RAIDs are big quests and sometimes with complex situations where a hireling AI can't do anything good (unless throw a heal or a ress or cure you from diseases and curses).

Besides, a RAID is a harder type of quest, specially designed to challenge. And for that purpose, hirelings are not allowed.

/not signed.
    excuse me. I'm solo player. Because barrier language, one son, not much time... Like me much other. I'm tr3. Never party, just hirelings. I love ddo. It's cost me more 700€... Never see raid. Just for fun I propose 1 healer hireling.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloody View Post
    excuse me. I'm solo player. Because barrier language, one son, not much time... Like me much other. I'm tr3. Never party, just hirelings. I love ddo. It's cost me more 700€... Never see raid. Just for fun I propose 1 healer hireling.
    Hirelings honestly aren't gonna help you complete a raid... None of the reasons above should exclude you from joining a raid though... if you're worried about time, most raids take less than an hour so I don't really see the big issue with time. And if you gotta run in the middle of raid it's ussually not the end of the world.
    As for the language barrier, I have no problem understanding what you just said, however I can see that some people (myself included at times) could have a problem understanding spoken english with a thick accent, however you can read up on most of the mechanics on the wiki.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you that your way of playing is wrong, it's just that to me and a lot of other players, raids are a way to socialize in game, meet new people and do some group based challenges. And the hireling AI can barely make it through a normal quest, so allowing them in raids wouldn't really make much difference.

Lets say an example here:

Say you go into a Shroud run, just you and your hire. You buff, run to portal, start fighting endless mobs spawning from portals all over the place. Great, you can do it, now take the shrine and step on the next portal to the next stage...

Ok, now try to kill all the bosses at the same time. And run to the crystal at light speed... Note you only have a few seconds to do this (can you do it with 2 people? No. Can you do it with 1 player and 1 hireling? Don't think so).

Still, lets say you manage to get that feat. Go stage after stage. If you care to read about Shroud (or if you know the raid) you will know that is a very challenging (not to say impossible) to do with 1 player and a hireling.

I don't talk about other raids because I don't know most of them, but many have this multi player cooperation mode.

In an average raid pug, you don't even need to know much on english writing. Look at me, I'm from Portugal...

Have fun, thats what matters!
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Community Member

Shroud...
    Shroud has been soloed.

I would not mind hirelings in raids. But I'd recommend OP instead to play a self-sufficient character to save the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMash View Post
    Hirelings honestly aren't gonna help you complete a raid... None of the reasons above should exclude you from joining a raid though... if you're worried about time, most raids take less than an hour so I don't really see the big issue with time. And if you gotta run in the middle of raid it's ussually not the end of the world.
    As for the language barrier, I have no problem understanding what you just said, however I can see that some people (myself included at times) could have a problem understanding spoken english with a thick accent, however you can read up on most of the mechanics on the wiki.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you that your way of playing is wrong, it's just that to me and a lot of other players, raids are a way to socialize in game, meet new people and do some group based challenges. And the hireling AI can barely make it through a normal quest, so allowing them in raids wouldn't really make much difference.
    ok i'll try. I was kensai 20, arcane archer 25, dark monk 25, now i'm druid 19 spellcaster, most versatile class.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Shroud has been soloed.
    My bad. Sorry if this was an ubber-toon related thread. I was only giving advice for the average normal and mortal player.
    [Ghallanda]

Like already said, the better solution is to make a self-sufficient build. You (general you) can already solo tempest spine and ADQ pretty easily, and with proper destiny loadout HoX as well unless they fixed it.

For the other raids, hirelings would actually make it more difficult to solo them. Not only am I happy that hires can't be summoned in raids, I'd further like it if ALL summons were disabled in raids, including clickies (eg: shard of xoriat), destiny abilities, enhancements, and even artie/druid pets. They never help and frequently hurt.

You'll pretty much never solo shroud, tod, lob, ma, vod, citw or fot even if you could bring hires, and you physically cannot solo VON5 even with a hire. I don't even think it would be possible with 5 hires.

Community Member

Ok, now try to kill all the bosses at the same time. And run to the crystal at light speed... Note you only have a few seconds to do this (can you do it with 2 people? No. Can you do it with 1 player and 1 hireling? Don't think so).
    Uhm.... you do realize that people solo The Shroud? So the correct response would be "Can you do it with 1 player? Yes."

But the responses already given are largely spot on. Bringing a hireling will generally not get you through things. Being self sufficient will.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloody View Post
    Can we have? A lot of solo players wanna this
    /signed

It's not just solo, my small guild would love hirelings in raids, it might even bring some back from Neverwinter.

And who cares if hirelings are enough, if they get people to try they are a win for DDO.

I think DDO has forgotten how the casual players f2p brought to the game resuscitated it, but Neverwinter is courting them aggressively. Hirelings in raids would be a big "hey, come look again" to the small guilds of casual players.
    I'm only an occasional player since ShadowFell, please forgive me if I'm not up to speed on anything that's changed since then.

/Not signed if I had my way they would go away altogether they are a pain

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    If they did a lot of players (myself included) would go with them
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

Unguilded of Orien

As others have mentioned, a hireling isn't going to really help all that much in a raid situation. Any place a healer hireling might give you an edge, you can get the same or better out of just twisting cocoon and using that for self healing. It's the mechanics of the raid that make it difficult to solo, not the incoming damage.

At any rate, as long as hirelings remain coded like they are which allows them to stay behind barriers, then teleport directly to you to raise you if you die, then it's no different than allowing rez cakes in raids, which are also currently not allowed. It's this part of hirelings that would end up being most useful in raids and not the healing that they bring with them.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falco_Easts View Post
    If they did a lot of players (myself included) would go with them
    There just needs to be a flag in the lfg that the party leader can set to disable hirelings/dogs. Everyone wins, groups where the lead hates them will never see them again, people that love them can still use them.

As for raids, /not signed. Raids need people not ai, most raids the hire ai is actually a penalty, and there needs to be some content the average to slightly above average player can not solo/holo.