Community Member

Default DDOWiki and DDO.

This is strictly a curiosity question, one I have wondered about many times.

Why doesn't DDO actively promote the wiki? I remember 2 or 3 years ago, for a brief period of time, there was some DDO advertising on the site.

Mostly though, why is it that there is no active support or mentions of the site from DDO staff? Why is there no official link anywhere on the forums to take players there? A lot of new player questions could be self answered if the site was mentioned more. I remember my beginning days on DDO, I would always try to answer my own questions via reading the forums, or even attempting the compendium (don't miss that thing at all).

Even though I saw posters linking things from the wiki, it was over a year of playing that it became my go to source for information, frankly I had to be berated in chat for my refusal to go there before I decided to go there and explore. Had I found any links, or even DDO staff posts in the forums recommending the use of the wiki, I probably wouldn't have needed the kick in the buttock region to start using it.

I still run into this issue to this day. New players I have helped out with some advice over time they still send me tells asking for help, and I understand now why I got the swift kick, I just cannot get some of these players to try the wiki. Now i don't mean this for every person I suggest to go to the wiki, I would say it is about 50/50 for those that do go there when it is suggested, and those that don't, but I think honorable mentions and maybe even a link on the DDO forums to take you right there would certainly be very helpful to new players trying to find their own information.

I still remember not wanting to appear foolish or ignorant on the game forums by asking simple questions that you just can't search out the answer for.

EDIT: For clarification, I don not mean to imply that I want Turbine to have so much as a single hair in the workings of DDOWiki, I mean support in the terms of advertising on the wiki, Advertising the wiki on the official site, and just helping the wiki to pay it's bills with the advertising so it is always a constant and reliable resource for us players.
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 05-21-2013 at 04:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

When Turbine tried to do there own "compendium" that was when I saw most mention of wiki done from dev posts.
    The compendium was a huge failure, and I wouldn't mind wiki getting an "honorable" mention of the place to go for help. Most times in advice channel anyways people are linking ddo wiki for references to things. Even in most posts on the forums things are being linked to wiki as references.

I haven't ever played a game where the official resource was better than the fan-maintained resource. So it must be player ignorance because it should be obvious just based on common sense.
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

Community Member

Default Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobmx View Post
    I haven't ever played a game where the official resource was better than the fan-maintained resource. So it must be player ignorance because it should be obvious just based on common sense.
    Obviously ignorance is involved, half of my OP was devoted to the subject.

The question still remains of why though. Ignorance is easily cured with easy access to information. There could be something as simple as a sticky placed into the new player forums with a link to go to the wiki.

I for one know for a fact that I would have appreciated and used it back in the my noob days.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

My gaming skill went sky high after I found all this information.
    Another player told me to goggle DDO maps.

If they promote it, then they begin to feel a sense of responsibility for its contents,
    this leads to monitoring the website to make sure if maintains certain standards,
    this leads to advising the website if it falls from glory,
    this leads to less time spent programming DDO.

DDO Wiki is a grand source of information, but information is spoilers...

Ever looked into the official links here?

Wiki is in there. Not prominently promoted, but there.

May I add that I always had to lol at the advertising done on the ddo-wiki? Ads for other MMOs, I even already saw NWO.

Community Member

Default I'll be da......

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    Ever looked into the official links here?

Wiki is in there. Not prominently promoted, but there.

May I add that I always had to lol at the advertising done on the ddo-wiki? Ads for other MMOs, I even already saw NWO.
    No, I had not ever even noticed that link. You are right, it is there. I also have always noticed the adverts there as well for other games. I never lol'd at the wiki staff for it, I am sure they can really use the revenue stream to pay for maintenance and such I actually direct my chuckles at Turbine/WB when I see other games advertisements there. I am guilty of doing the early sign up for NWO via the ad on the wiki site several months ago, I highly doubt I would have actively sought ought the game personally, but it was right there and I was feeling spiteful at the time.

Community Member

Plus, I imagine like most companies, they're not going to officially endorse any third-party content they arent in direct control of. They have no way of knowing if, for example, DDOWiki is really run by a bunch of pedophile anti-Semites, or Scientologists, or something, and then Turbine is left officially endorsing them and having to explain that association, or issue an embarassing backpedal from them.

There's no real benefit for Turbine for them to take that risk, when the wiki does a generally fine job on its own.

I pretty much learned everything about ddo from ddo wiki....

Community Member

Torelo and Borror once discussed something in line of merging DDOwiki and Compendium back in like, uh... 2008?
    IIRC he straight up declined the idea because even at the time Compendium was a horrible mess, and didn't think Turbine could get along with share alike license, and so on.
    Yes, we have the fansite listing, but didn't we have DDOwiki thread stickied on User-written strategy board? If not, I would post another one and ask Torelo to re-stickie it, ... ONLY IF my main forum account isnt foobar'd...

Community Member

Default There you is!

Quote Originally Posted by yk5 View Post
    Torelo and Borror once discussed something in line of merging DDOwiki and Compendium back in like, uh... 2008?
    IIRC he straight up declined the idea because even at the time Compendium was a horrible mess, and didn't think Turbine could get along with share alike license, and so on.
    Yes, we have the fansite listing, but didn't we have DDOwiki thread stickied on User-written strategy board? If not, I would post another one and ask Torelo to re-stickie it, ... ONLY IF my main forum account isnt foobar'd...
    I was hoping to get one of you guys input on this too. And I certainly can understand how you guys would be leary of letting Turbine work on your site, it scares me to think of the bad things that could happen over there if they did as well /looks at the new and 'improved' forums /shudder. You guys have an amazing site over there.

But what I am wondering about is not sharing the wiki with Turbine writers or anything, I am wondering why DDO/Turbine/WB doesn't add a link in the new player section of the forums like they did for massively.com:

Tarrant's post here and C/P below

?*Questions for new DDO Unlimited Players
    Are you a new DDO player? Do you have some questions about the game? If so, then Massively.com is the place for you! They've put out a comprehensive list of common questions and answers for new DDO players, so be sure to check it out! *end of quote*

I just can't understand why DDO doesn't advertise with you guys more, I would think it would be significantly less to pay you guys a small monthly stipend and spread your name across the boards than.....Well, look at how many wasted man hours was put into the compendium.

I am just curious why the shout out for massively by a Turbine Rep, but not a shout out to you guys in the same post: DDOWiki simply is THE BEST resource for this game in terms of being a new player to the game. (Anyway in my opinion it is)

I am not saying there are no links to the wiki, there are in a couple of the stickied player started threads in the new player forums.

Then, I look at all this wasted space on the sides of the forums as well. And I wonder to myself: Why are there no links set there? Little boxes that say for instance, DDOWiki and when you click it, you go there. Same for massively. And so on and so on.

Community Member

I have noticed that the Neverwinter Wiki is driven by Cryptic. I've given the matter some thought and I am kind of happy that DDOWiki does not have dependencies on Turbine. Wiki stays up when game/ddo web goes down. And we can include links to http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Fansites.

That said, it could be a sane idea for Turbine to embrace the goodness that DDOWiki provides. Of course, Turbine's agenda might differ from a regular player/reader's agenda: http://ddowiki.com/page/Special:Contributions/Cordovan

turbine ad ddowiki wouldnt come as a surprise, but there are some useful DDO's lore sites out there!

dont know, maybe ddowiki is the most important

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Why doesn't DDO actively promote the wiki? I remember 2 or 3 years ago, for a brief period of time, there was some DDO advertising on the site.
    The wiki is entirely player supported near as I know. As of such, Turbine has taken the stance safest possible legally. By which means anything posted on the wiki, Turbine is not responsible for what so ever.

They tried (and failed) to make their own "compendium" which they promoted, but they never gave it the proper resources it really needed. This "competition" is another reason why they did not promote the wiki at all.

Cryptic's wiki for CO was entirely player done as well, but they didn't step on its toes and supported its existence. (is it still solely player done? I have no clue. I walked away from CO and Cryptic when PW influences showed up too much for my liking.)

Adding an updated set of links for new players in the new player advice forums makes sense. Once time permits, I'll work on it.

There is currently this stickied post of links to the DDO Wiki and other sites in the forums there already: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...New-Players***
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!