Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MMOs and Behavior [Thesis Study]

***Moderators: If this is inapropriate to post here like this or if I need to get permission prior to posting please private message me so I can clear it! I browsed the rules and was unable to determine this as inappropriate or violating a rule! Please contact me if it is.

Hello everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been around (pre-free-to-play) but decided to start it back up again in celebration of my thesis study, the only thing I have left to finish. It is looking at the relationship between self-perceived behavior and MMO gameplay. If you could please take a moment out of your time to take this survey, or if you know someone who would be interested in participating please pass it along! Below is the general advert and link for the completely anonymous online survey. Thank you in advance if you take the survey or pass it along to anyone you know! Also, please note that this link is to an official Purdue University server and is clean!!!

An online study regarding massive multiplayer online games (MMOs) and behavior is looking for participants. If you are at least 18 years old, currently living within the United States and have played an MMO within the last three months then you are eligible to participate. This study is investigating the relationship between playing MMOs and behavior as well as between motivations for playing MMOs and behavior. Your participation will help the scientific community acquire necessary research on electronic gaming.

If you know people who may fit the criteria and may be interested in participating in this survey, you are welcome and encouraged to provide them with this information and web link.

LINK TO THE QUESTIONNAIRE: http://isprsurvey.purduecal.edu/surv...cawi/mmostudy1

Lisento Slaven of Brog'dal

Community Member

It is clear that you crafted your questions to get a specific result. I cannot believe any professor wouldn't be able to see your specific agenda. You will get the result that proves your thesis statement. Though I have only been playing this game and been on the forums for 1 year, this is the fourth thesis thread I have seen. Mostly they are trying to prove addiction, but yours is clearly trying to prove that MMO's influence people's aggressiveness. I really hope this isn't what is considered graduate level research at your school.

Community Member

Did... Did I fail by not being from the US?

Quote Originally Posted by zeichen-thest View Post
    It is clear that you crafted your questions to get a specific result. I cannot believe any professor wouldn't be able to see your specific agenda. You will get the result that proves your thesis statement. Though I have only been playing this game and been on the forums for 1 year, this is the fourth thesis thread I have seen. Mostly they are trying to prove addiction, but yours is clearly trying to prove that MMO's influence people's aggressiveness. I really hope this isn't what is considered graduate level research at your school.
    This, your questions are set up to get the answer you want not to provide accurate information. It reminds me more of a political survey than a pyschological one. Pretty sad and if you run with this I really hope the prof gives you the fail you deserve for it.

Community Member

Default Heheh

I like the end of the survey:

Statement of Feedback

Thank you for participating in this study! Your contribution is greatly appreciated and will help further knowledge on this particular subject.

Counseling Information
    If you experienced any discomfort at any time while participating, you may wish to contact a mental health professional. You can find local therapy services from the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy at www.therapistblahblahblah.net

Keep that link handy OP, you may need it if you feel any discomfort at any time while participating in the reading of my answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I'll gladly take that to help
    Generic SIgnature #42

Thelanis - Guild: Solo Artists - Characters: Several

Done. Just let me know if I win. I lost powerball and am hoping this makes up for it.
    Generic SIgnature #42

...., this is the fourth thesis thread I have seen. ....

This. And most with the same "don't hurt me" intro blip.

Hmm. A little Google research later...

• Help my sister graduate!
    • I wil name your REAL LOVER...
    • Octopus has the potential to...
    • The Use of Computer-Mediated Communication to Resolve Romantic Interpersonal Conflict
    • Link is clean it is a university server

Would've figured there were plenty of responses from the posting on battle.net/guild wars/eve/rift forums over a month ago...
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    I like the end of the survey:

...Therapy at www.therapistblahblahblah.net
    Therapist = TheRapist.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

I love that hair.

I have tried to copy it and all I get are comments telling me to take a shower and go away hippie....to be fair I do need a shower.
    Generic SIgnature #42

Reported this thread to the moderators:

This thread links to a survey that in the end links to a profession type paid service.
    Hence it is in fact, real world advertising seeking business on the DDO website.
    I believe typically that is not allowed to be done on most gaming websites.

Please remove this thread completely.

I also find this thread offensive due to its superiority complex
    and all that it attempts to imply. A true expert in this field would
    have strong compassion and common sense which is not seen here.

Thank you for all you do for us.

Cheers.

Thank you for your concern. I assure you the methodology used to construct the survey *was* chosen purposefully but it was *not* chosen to construct particular results. There is a discussion in the body of the literature regarding why certain scales and questions were used over others. If you believe that the methodology is deeply flawed I encourage you to get in contact as it directs participants on the entry page of the survey. I DO appreciate concerns and suggestions as I wish to continue a line of research regarding MMOs!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Reported this thread to the moderators:

This thread links to a survey that in the end links to a profession type paid service.
    Hence it is in fact, real world advertising seeking business on the DDO website.
    I believe typically that is not allowed to be done on most gaming websites.

Please remove this thread completely.

I also find this thread offensive due to its superiority complex
    and all that it attempts to imply. A true expert in this field would
    have strong compassion and common sense which is not seen here.

Thank you for all you do for us.

Cheers.
    This thread does not link to a profession type paid service. No one is getting paid for performing this research and it is purely academic, in other words for my masters thesis. You can verify this by contacting Purdue's IRB board as directed on the entry page of the form. The protocol number and all necessary information linking to this particular study is available on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisento View Post
    This thread does not link to a profession type paid service.
    Yes it does.

Right at the start:

"You can find local therapy services from the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy at _________"

Do you deny that these people will charge money?

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Would've figured there were plenty of responses from the posting on battle.net/guild wars/eve/rift forums over a month ago...
    Sorry for double post. Missed this in the previous reply.

The response rate and completion rate are...verrrry different things

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post

Do you deny that these people will charge money?

I'm ethically obligated to refer participants to a way to get in touch with local therapists in the event of an issue. The link you are referring to directs people to a directory of AAMFT certified therapists in the United States. It does not cost money to use that directory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisento View Post
    I'm ethically obligated to refer participants to a way to get in touch with local therapists in the event of an issue. The link you are referring to directs people to a directory of AAMFT certified therapists in the United States. It does not cost money to use that directory.
    The directory refers to people who will charge money.

[QUOTE=Lisento;5004539]I'm ethically obligated to refer participants to a way to get in touch with local therapists in the event of an issue.[QUOTE]

If there is any concern that you could be doing harm to us, then the moderators of this website
    should be very concerned about your presence here.

This space is provided by a business for luxury entertainment.
    It is not public property.

Reporting this post a second time:

This thread openly admits that it could do harm to us.

Please review your policies on allowing threads of this nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Does answering the questions more than once increase my Chance of winning? I'd hate to waste more time than necessary... and if answering it more than six times doesn't bring anything more... then I guess I'll stop now.
    Please let me know,. I want to win!

Do you have to be over 18 to win? My 8 year old Cousin wants to win too.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast