Default Attack Speed and BAB Question

Pretty simple question. I seem to recall hearing or reading somewhere that attack animation speed increases as your base attack speed goes up. But after having just done some testing, I cannot determine more than a minute, if any, change in attack speed between a character with a BAB of 3 and one with a BAB of 16 (both were monks using unarmed if it makes any difference). So does BAB increase your attack animation speed?

for melee attacks, i'd say.. yes. (i've not counted, melee people get WAY too many attacks in a minute to count easily. i would swear they attack faster at lvl 20 than lvl 1 though so... yes?)

for ranged. definitely.

for crossbows, definitely
    for Repeating crossbows, yes.. but game also gives you automatic -10% attack speed if you hold attack button down. (because you might not want to click attack button up to 50+ times/minute with precise timing to avoid getting stuck at reload crossbow thing)

and.. yep, that is about it all.
    Amazing, they actually managed to fix forum account post count and stuff without me bug reporting it!
    O.o there is hope out there yet!

I didn't count actual number of attacks because that was too difficult. But I did count complete attack animations in 60 second and 90 seconds trials. Without any stances or melee alacrity active (I also double-checked on the character sheet), both monks completed 34 attack animations in the 90 second trials and 21 attack animations in the 60 second trials. It made me scratch my head. I, too, have also noticed what seems to be faster attack animations for higher level characters, but now I am wondering if that just has to do with the fact that at higher levels you are usually running with lots of attack speed bonuses.

well, as i said, melee's are a bit.. iffy to count since there are a lot of attacks.
    for ranged, using non returning arrows is enough (and attack count is lower)

for melee/monk attacks... possibly try it with a friend in tavern arena somewhere without a crowd? combat log hopefully shows the attack rolls=number of attacks.

pending that... well... some high hp sandbag (dummy or silly elite boss on lower level quest) might suffice (for low levels, higher levels pound it to dust too fast.)
    Amazing, they actually managed to fix forum account post count and stuff without me bug reporting it!
    O.o there is hope out there yet!

Community Member

Best way to test this would be to get a L20 arcane (10BAB) and just unarmed melee on a dummy, then use a Divine Power clicky to double your BAB. You should be able to tell the difference right away...and I do remember there being a small but palpable speedup with my melee sorc when I used Tensers or DP, but that was a previous life and I did have things like Haste running too...

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    Pretty simple question. I seem to recall hearing or reading somewhere that attack animation speed increases as your base attack speed goes up. But after having just done some testing, I cannot determine more than a minute, if any, change in attack speed between a character with a BAB of 3 and one with a BAB of 16 (both were monks using unarmed if it makes any difference). So does BAB increase your attack animation speed?
    Monk may be the wrong class to test with but every class works the same way (Monks have A LOT of small fast hits when TWF).
    • Download a video capturing program.
    • Use the Airship Dummy or a friend (who can heal). Alternatively you can use the Portal in the high level explorer area off of the twelve (Sorry forgot the name).
    • Use video capture while you attack the target for 1 minute. The video capture should make this a lot easier as you can use the time stamp on the recording.
    • Count misses and hits. Your counting the number of attacks so you need both.
    • Now you can compare, and thanks to the video playback, you should be able to play in 1/2 or 1/4 time making the counting easier. *** Not sure if this is the case on all computers ***

Notes:
    • Not all weapons are the same. Not sure if this is WAI or not, so to use the same weapon in both scenarios. A quarterstaff should work just fine. No special effects to get muddled in the numbers. And it is a simple weapon.
    • Place the "dice" roll in a prominent spot
    • Make sure the combat log is prominent when you begin. Nothing is worse than having your default chat tab open when doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    I didn't count actual number of attacks because that was too difficult. But I did count complete attack animations in 60 second and 90 seconds trials. Without any stances or melee alacrity active (I also double-checked on the character sheet), both monks completed 34 attack animations in the 90 second trials and 21 attack animations in the 60 second trials. It made me scratch my head. I, too, have also noticed what seems to be faster attack animations for higher level characters, but now I am wondering if that just has to do with the fact that at higher levels you are usually running with lots of attack speed bonuses.

I believe the number of attacks per animation itself changes.

In particular, I recall low level monks don't have that last leaping kick thing. Are you sure the animations you're counting are the same? I think the game works where you start with 2 attacks per animation, and then at various BAB points you get a third and a 4th and the animation adds extra moves.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    I believe the number of attacks per animation itself changes.

In particular, I recall low level monks don't have that last leaping kick thing. Are you sure the animations you're counting are the same? I think the game works where you start with 2 attacks per animation, and then at various BAB points you get a third and a 4th and the animation adds extra moves.
    The number increases, but the attacks/second doesnt really increase from the extra animations, plus you get your fourth attack at BAB 3, which means any character is going to have 4 melee attacks very early in their progression. The third and fourth attacks matter more for the inherent attack bonus and chance for glancing blow (for THF) than for attack speed. That being said, BAB should still increase your overall attack speed from BAB4-20.