Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Credit where it's due...

To any devs that still monitor the forums, please pass this on to the appropriate parties...

We post a lot of dev hate in these forums, I've been no exception to that. I would like to put forth some thanks for the things I do appreciate, and I'm hoping some of you out there might join me with it. What changes have you thought were well done? What are some of the ideas you've seen implemented that you liked?

No "left handed" compliments please, no "I would've said (this) but..." remarks; just tell 'em what you enjoy about the game that they've provided for us...

As for me, the (still relatively) new augment system is full of win. The expanded options and versatility it allows are excellent. Every time I have a gearing dilemma, there's an augment solution to fix it. Deathblock, heavy fort & feather falling just to name a few have been awesome to put in variable locations.

Another 'atta boy goes to the AC/PRR work up. Taking AC from what had effectively become an "all or nothing" situation to giving value to a moderate AC was needed. Physical Resistance Rating has added a new dimension to our defensive schemes, and breathed life into certain concepts like the armored arcane caster. I'm personally fond of the expressed notion that heavy armor provides more protection than light armor even when the potential AC (via build choices) is the same.

What about the rest of you out there? Anything you would like to say "good job/well done" about?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I love the MoTU expansion pack! Yes it was buggy when first released if I remember right but you get so much for your money! I went to buy it and found it was on offer at 50% off so even better! Eveningstar, Kings Forest and everything just look amazing to say the least!

Stoner81.

Community Member

I agree on the augment system, AC/PRR, Motu. Even though I am in a level 80 guild and had access to large guild slots prior to the change, I think offering the same slots to people regardless of guild level was a good move for the game.

I'll add that opening up epics with multiple difficulty levels was a really good thing for many people. Increasing drop rates of heroic commendations in fall of truth was a great move. I also think providing a mechanism to upgrade a raid item from normal to elite in Fall of Truth was also a really a good idea. That way power gamers can have their top-tier item right away and there is still a way for casual gamers to upgrade - it just takes longer.

And I was going to leave a left-handed comment, but won't to honor your original request. The Devs have done some really good things in the last year.

Community Member

MotU has some really nice atmospheric envirmoents - especially Underdark. I would love to see a whole quest that takes place in the Underdark wilderness (not entered through - *takes place in*).

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

I really like the storyline development and conclussion with Epic Gianthold. I don't mind running familiar content and wilderness areas to track down new explorers to soak up the great atmospheric work they did out there in touching up the landscape and adding the audio explorers.

The new enhancement system I am still confident will be excellent. All they need to do is remove 99% of the pre-requisite dependencies (i.e. look at the ED enhancements and just copy the broad freedom of choice we got there) and base AP cost pre-requisites on "Total" AP spend instead of "Tree AP spend". It's not a huge stretch of the imagination and to me the only logical conclusion to the alpha -> beta -> discussion -> review process. And if it leads to additional prestige options coming along in the future as they've previously stated, then that's just something else to look forward to.

Love the atmospheric feel to the Underdark area, it completely recaptured that whole sense of exploration that you had when areas were completely new.

I really like the Monster Manual. A great piece of fluff, with the latest volume awarding pretty good xp, although I'm not impressed by them moving the Hunter achievements to be character only. And if they fix the known issues (that we're providing them with all the details of) then it will just get better.

Community Member

Default Augments and hirelings.

I really like the new augment system as well. It brought a level of fairness into the game and allowed all players the chance to get and use augment gems while eliminating a system that forced players to either join or start a guild to be able to ever hope to use it. That was a pure win in my book.

I also really like hirelings, as it gives new players and returning players the ability to do *most* quests in the game at their personal pace and at their own personal difficulty level allowing them the chance to learn and get comfortable before joining groups. Hirelings were the single biggest reason for my migration to DDO.

I also like the fact that they give ALL players regardless of account type the opportunities to get store items regardless of ability to afford them in the form of free weekly items and earnable Turbine points.

I am also grateful for the daily challenge tokens. At least for House C (I have never run the MoTU ones) but it allows for players to partake of the challenges and earn decent gear/Artificer class.

Also a big thank you for making GreenSteel mats drop in devil Assault. As a player that has never stepped foot in Shroud, this is very much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I love this game. I like Greensteel crafting, I love the FR expansion, I like the combat system and its revamp; I also like the new augment system, and am looking forward to the new enhancements (provided they do something about the divine PrEs :P)

Thank you for the kind words!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

I agree with all of those. One more to add to the list:

The Reset button for quest/explorer instances. Saves me so much time while I solo. And nullifies the effort needed in regrouping party. Nice one.

Some of my favorites that set this game apart. Some of these get taken for granted until you play another MMO.

1. XP awarded at end of quest. Getting XP per kill like other games creates situations where people hit their level and recall in the middle of dungeons. XP at the end of quest incentivizes people to complete.

2. Even the oldest content still gets played regularly. In most other MMOs, once the expansion comes out, the previous content is a ghost town.

3. Build customization = high replay ability.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

I tend to lodge quite a lot of complaints, but this is more because there is a strong reason to log on the forums and gripe when things are wrong, but very little incentive to do so when things are going well. I wouldn't bother to complain about the negative aspects of DDO if I was not very much enthralled by the positive ones. So here are just a few to name:

- Character creation. DDO may not have the visual appeal that games like City of ... and the like have when creating a character, but the fact that you are able to very deeply customize your character means that this game has a great deal of depth and replayability.

- Detailed and well crafted quests. People tend to forget just how amazing things were the first time that they ran a particular quest. But really, if you look at the quests in DDO compared to instances in other games, the difference is amazing. There have been many different design philosophies over the years, and these can be felt mechanically as you play the different quests. But one thing that has remained fairly consistent is that the quests are very flavorful and well narrated. This really gives questing a much more enjoyable feel, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Another 'atta boy goes to the AC/PRR work up. Taking AC from what had effectively become an "all or nothing" situation to giving value to a moderate AC was needed.
    I know that this was meant to be a positive thread, but I feel compelled to comment on this. The new AC system is terrible. I mean, really awful. The stated objective of it was to make any AC somewhat relevant, no matter what content you are running. Instead, the formula that was chosen makes it so that the vast majority of ACs are still totally irrelevant in the top end of quests. People pointed out that once the MOB to-hit reached twice the reasonably attainable AC this would happen. And the vocal developers said "Well, that won't ever happen!" Only now it has happened.

Systems changes in an established game like DDO should be very well thought out. If something has existed for several years, and the system is failing, then it certainly needs to be changed. But it needs to be changed to something that is very scalable and will manage to endure for many years to come. Not something that is half-assed and is going to become just as out dated as the system that it replaced less than a year later.
    Last edited by ForumAccess; 05-20-2013 at 01:12 PM.

I love EVERYthing that sets DDO apart from the hundreds of WoW clones. Specifically:

Instanced quests and wildernesses
    Slayer/Explorer/Rare wilderness goals
    NO scavenger hunts
    heroic level raids
    class openness in gear choices
    MULTICLASSING
    elf/dragon/giant crafted armors
    multiple crafting options
    Reincarnation
    Widely different environments (gianthold/cannith/refuge/fens/etc.)
    the introduction of Forgotten Realms
    New Classes (Arti,Druid)
    Iconic Heroes
    Enhancement Tree UI revamp (despite its flaws, the new UI is awesome)
    the ever growing massive pool of gear/weapons
    Guild Ships
    /emotes
    /channels
    Some of the Best, Worst, Funniest, Scariest voice acting ever. (yes, even the 'worst' stuff is great in its own way ) *eGH voicing is AWESOME!*
    Challenges

In all, no other game I've ever played has captivated me half as much as DDO.
    Last edited by BOgre; 05-20-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Thumbs up Still favorite mmo out of anything else i've tried so far...

Even though dungeons and dragons online has some age too it. DDO by far has single handedly managed to maintain my attention span and intrigue me with learning experiences to date. Even though the game lacks a market for pvp gamers, it delivers with community and gameplay. Please just make it clear to gamers needing extra advice and add a download here sign to the interactive game guide for newer players. Thanks again sanadil for making life in ddo less confusing.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

I think of DDO as a D&D based character build sandbox. IMO It's where Turbine got it so right, that I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The thing that scares some casuals away is the thing that keeps me playing. No sooner do I get a character capped (or to mid level) then I've got yet another idea I want to try. Basically I feel like I'm playing a monty hall high magic, 10 year old campaign (meaning like a DM's mature fleshed out over 10 years custom campaign) with some pretty good house rules called "enhancements" and a few splatbook PrE's thrown into the mix.

(note on the negative comments about AC: that is only really true in a very small portion of the games available content GH EE and a few other EE's - not going to derail the thread by further commenting on that, AC is far more useful to 99% of my characters in 99% of the content)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

And suddenly, the feeling that Thelanis is waxing and Khyber waning is cemented!

Community Member

I also wish to give credit for:

The ability to TR, it keeps old content replay value while allowing me to get better stats.

Mostly though, I just want to post in here to bump the thread so it doesn't die, and I keep hoping to see some of the more negative and critical people on the forums (I am one of them as well) can find one good thing to say about the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I'm a tour chef, so my ability to play can have gaps ranging from six months to a year or more.

I love that no matter how long the gaps between my play times are, I can jump right back in and intuitively figure out the changes. Plus, the community for the most part has always been and still is fantastic.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

Absolutely agree with the poster about the Reset Quest/Instance button. It's a simple quality of life improvement that made the game less obnoxious to deal with when you wanted to run slayers repeatedly (solo or grouped either one) or just had someone that went in to a quest (especially one in an explorer area) on the wrong difficulty.

Whoever was responsible for going back and redoing all of the old loot...just amazing job there. There are still useful items, not useful items, etc but it breathed life into itemization pre-20 and added a lot of depth that was missing to heroic levels. Along with that same thing the new augment system is what powered a lot of those improvements. As a suggestion...I know that DDO makes money off of the jeweler's kits but I'd never pay to reslot a single augment. Any single augment I'd just refarm or make darned sure that I slotted correctly so as to avoid buying the jeweler's kits. But if they added a permanent kit that could reslot any time you wanted I'd spring for it at pretty high amount of TP's. I would love to be able to tinker with gear and try to get that perfect setup. Lacking the ability to tinker I don't swap slots at all.

Also agree that the ability to TR keeps the game alive at all levels and adds replayability that other games lack. It's the combination of the robust character generation and TR'ing that keeps people coming back.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Having played around with it a bit on Lamannia, I love the new upcoming enhancement pass. No, it's not perfect in its last incarnation. But, I have found far more positives in it than negatives. If the developers listen to the player feedback, I think it will be a great new addition to the game.

Owlbears and Lizardfolk! Thank you Turbine for adding more iconic D&D monsters to the game! Give us more!
    Morgulion Romenion Zandrine Zeldaryne The Order of Cygnus Sarlona
    Quote Originally Posted by BitkaCK2
    There are no bugs in this game, only unintended features.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast