Community Member

Default OK, I got a Stave of the Seer. Now what do I do with it?

I saw one on the AH and was impressed with it and impulse bought it. Now my question is what type of character can benefit from it the most? I have a 9 Rogue Assassin I am working on, so I thought about switching her to acrobat instead?

My other choice is that I have not made a Druid yet. So I could Veteran 7 a Druid and be at level 8 in no time, but I'm wondering if a Druid would do as well with this as an acrobat.

Do I assume correctly that it works best with Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave? Basically, what's the best way to get some good use out of this thing?

Thanks for your help/advice.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    I saw one on the AH and was impressed with it and impulse bought it. Now my question is what type of character can benefit from it the most? I have a 9 Rogue Assassin I am working on, so I thought about switching her to acrobat instead?

My other choice is that I have not made a Druid yet. So I could Veteran 7 a Druid and be at level 8 in no time, but I'm wondering if a Druid would do as well with this as an acrobat.

Do I assume correctly that it works best with Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave? Basically, what's the best way to get some good use out of this thing?

Thanks for your help/advice.
    My initial response would be Clonk or Druid/Drunk. Basically anything wisdom based. In the hands of a druid it should be 2.50[2d6] thanks to Shillelagh (assuming coders did their job correctly). Which would make it one of the better weapons for heroic levels for very dedicated builds.

And yeah, I would say taking the PA/Cleave/Great Cleave would be great but assume you lose out on OC unless you go STR based Unless you use it strictly to level and TR/LR at 20.

Kinda interested in what others think

Community Member

Yes, that is a good point about Shillelagh. But I think the damage/hit modifier is also INT based, which made me think of Acrobat as well (maybe 16 base + tome + 4-6 gear + 2 buff). I'm also very interested in the + 5 UMD, which my rogue could def benefit from. It would also allow me to sneak attack several closely grouped enemies at once with cleave/great cleave, wouldn't it? Also, could I get Shill scrolls and use them with a Rogue?

Of course, right now I am TWF with Assassin line, so I'd have to use my free LR to do this, but it is VERY tempting.

I'm also wondering if a INT/WIS based weapon benefits at all from Power Attack? This is just such an odd weapon.

I don't really get the point of SotS. First off, it's INT/WIS-based, implying it's meant for a wiz or divine caster; yet it has no inherent caster bonuses, apart from +5 INT & WIS. And how many casters need +5 to both stats? Second, its base dmg is surprisingly good for a ML:8 staff (which gets better with Shillelagh) and it has twice the crit range of a regular staff; but otherwise it's a poor DPS choice, since it has no other bonuses. Finally, it provides +5 UMD, but since it's a 2H weapon, you can't use it to UMD scrolls etc.; you can only use it to help you bypass racial & alignment restrictions on your equippable gear. And since it's only ML:8, you wouldn't base your build around it; at best it would make a semi-decent leveling option for a while. At least it has a couple of augment slots now, so you can tweak its caster or DPS bonuses, but it's still won't be great.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Quote Originally Posted by Fleckislaupir View Post
    I don't really get the point of SotS. First off, it's INT/WIS-based, implying it's meant for a wiz or divine caster; yet it has no inherent caster bonuses, apart from +5 INT & WIS. And how many casters need +5 to both stats? Second, its base dmg is surprisingly good for a ML:8 staff (which gets better with Shillelagh) and it has twice the crit range of a regular staff; but otherwise it's a poor DPS choice, since it has no other bonuses. Finally, it provides +5 UMD, but since it's a 2H weapon, you can't use it to UMD scrolls etc.; you can only use it to help you bypass racial & alignment restrictions on your equippable gear. And since it's only ML:8, you wouldn't base your build around it; at best it would make a semi-decent leveling option for a while. At least it has a couple of augment slots now, so you can tweak its caster or DPS bonuses, but it's still won't be great.
    I use it for the TS clickie and to equip UMD restricted gear in the lower levels, or in the higher levels for characters who are UMD light (like a first life fighter-monk).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

The stave of the seer is a pretty valuable clicky for characters without access to true seeing and low umd. That is going to be the primary use of it.

That said, if you want to build a druid quarterstaff user then this would be an excellent weapon for them for a limited time Though probably a longer amount of time than typical for an ml 8 weapon. But then, you don't want to build a character around a single low level weapon you wouldn't be using at cap. You'd want to have more of a motivating factor. Personally, I do have a druid/monk quarterstaff user and enjoy it at cap, but have never been a min/maxer. Also, long down the line it looks like a Henshin monk would get good use of this weapon when the enhancement pass goes live.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

Thanks again. I think I've decided to make a Druid 18/Monk 2 (Is this a "Dronk" build?). I can start at level 7, and give them this at level 8.

I'm not trying to make a DC caster. I want a character who can melee and also self heal pretty well.

If I go with "Dronk" like this, and choose Half Elf, what Dilletante would be best? I was thinking about Wizard for the use of Arcane Wands/Scrolls (Blur/Stoneskin/Displacement etc). But some of the others are quite tempting as well.

Also, if I understand correctly, if you are in animal form then their attacks replace yours, correct? So in wolf form, for example, I'd be swiping with claws and not this Q-staff, correct?

Please advise.

Thanks again. I think I've decided to make a Druid 18/Monk 2 (Is this a "Dronk" build?). I can start at level 7, and give them this at level 8.

I'm not trying to make a DC caster. I want a character who can melee and also self heal pretty well.

If I go with "Dronk" like this, and choose Half Elf, what Dilletante would be best? I was thinking about Wizard for the use of Arcane Wands/Scrolls (Blur/Stoneskin/Displacement etc). But some of the others are quite tempting as well.
    Not sure. I went Rogue for the additional SA, but then again I am in animal form (and pure).

Also, if I understand correctly, if you are in animal form then their attacks replace yours, correct? So in wolf form, for example, I'd be swiping with claws and not this Q-staff, correct?

Please advise.
    Correct, you would still gain the 1.50[w] from the weapon but lose all of the "w" part

I would say, stay in your normal/Half-Elf form, your DC's with an 18/2 split will still be just as good thanks to water stance. Your spell cool downs will be normal, thanks to not being in animal form. The damage bonus should be very nice being Wisdom based.

And I believe both the level 7 Druid Stance Enhancements work out of Animal Form so you will be a destructive machine. Once you outgrow the weapon, you can switch into wolf with hand wraps and the build still works.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I use it for the TS clickie and to equip UMD restricted gear in the lower levels, or in the higher levels for characters who are UMD light (like a first life fighter-monk).
    Was the original version of SotS unbound (or BtA)? If so, I could see passing it around for that purpose; now that it's BtCoE, though, it hardly seems worth the effort to acquire.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Please advise.
    The damage profile of the animal form replaces the damage profile of the equipped weapon(s). The weapon characteristics (elemental damage, alignment damage, bane damage, etc.) carry over to the animal form attacks.

Note, however, that the damage in animal form is almost always craptastic and attack animations are almost always slower than or equal to the attack animations in non-animal form. This means that most players are going to be more effective in melee by NOT transforming into animal form.

Of course, there are exceptions and the right combinations of gear, level and animal-form spells will occasionally change this. But, as a general rule, if you are looking to do damage as a melee character animal form will be your weaker choice.

Non-DC based spells combined with monk attack speeds give a powerful combination. Tree form when you get to your epic destinies is much more impressive than any animal form.

Was the original version of SotS unbound (or BtA)? If so, I could see passing it around for that purpose; now that it's BtCoE, though, it hardly seems worth the effort to acquire.
    Yes, I have a few unbounds I move around, and a few I have bound myself on frequent TR toons.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

First off, it's INT/WIS-based, implying it's meant for a wiz or divine caster; yet it has no inherent caster bonuses, apart from +5 INT & WIS. And how many casters need +5 to both stats?
    It is basically a universal quarterstaff that attempts to provide both decent melee damage as well as fill the role as a caster staff. For melee it is effectively an INT/WIS-based greatsword in terms of base damage and critical profile.

Second, its base dmg is surprisingly good for a ML:8 staff (which gets better with Shillelagh) and it has twice the crit range of a regular staff; but otherwise it's a poor DPS choice, since it has no other bonuses.
    It has other bonuses in the form of two augments. Both can hold either caster or damage augments. Providing slots versus inherent bonuses is actually far superior as it allows the staff to be more flexible and improve as you level.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 05-25-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers