Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Grats to DDO devs for never making a bug this bad

The DDO devs deserve some praise for never making a bug as bad as the one on Neverwinter right now.

You can make a bid on the Neverwinter auction house for a negative number. And if your negative number is bigger than any positive number, you win the item and GET THAT AMOUNT OF CURRENCY MAILED TO YOU!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

The economy there is so screwed.

Bid -50,000,000 on an item and you get the item and 50 million mailed to you!!!! haahhahahahah

Then you take those millions of astral diamonds (the ingame currency) and you buy Zen (the real $ currency) on the Zen exchange.

One person bought $90,000 worth of the Zen currency in a couple hours last night.

So grats to the DDO devs for never ever ever ever screwing up that bad!
    Last edited by 7-day_Trial_Monkey; 05-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7-day_Trial_Monkey View Post
    The DDO devs deserve some praise for never making a bug as bad as the one on Neverwinter right now.
    Comparing the bugs of a shipped product to one that hasn't even been released yet because it is in development is silly.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    Comparing the bugs of a shipped product to one that hasn't even been released yet because it is in development is silly.
    Now that's a very silly comment to make. Neverwinter is in beta in name only. The real money store has been active since day 1. Pretending it's just like any other beta when that aspect of the game is active is not at all appropriate.

Calling it beta is a marketing decision. It gives them an excuse to turn to for their bugs. It does not however accurately reflect the state of the release of the game.

And this bug direct affects the real money transactions. Calling it beta does not excuse the fact they just screwed with a huge number of player's wallet.

DDO has only ever screwed with a small number of player's wallets.

Not if you can buy zen. If you can take a beta glitch and buy virtual currency that can be used in other games, then yeah that is a colossal mistake.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Ordinary, I'd agree. But Zen Cash is VERY MUCH live. This is a colossal fup on Cryptic's part, worthy of shutting down beta till that gets fixed, honestly.

This will probably lead to a wipe of beta...

Or, more likely, a deletion of each exploiter's account......

A major major crisis.

fun fun....

I'm assuming this bug has been around since "beta" launched and has so far been kept quiet by those exploiting it. They might really have to do a full wipe as the amount of work required to analyze logs and remove illegal currency gained over several weeks is likely not something their minimal support staff can handle. Or they can just ban the few people that massively exploited it and leave all that currency in game, screwing up the economy forever.

This is why games have real betas, not fake "soft-launch" betas with open cash shops. Epic fail.

Community Member

This will be a good opportunity to see how PerfectWorld responds and will give some insight into how well they are managed. I look forward to hearing how it's resolved.

Community Member

Heh I wonder if it removes the amount from the original seller's account too? Seems like that's what its doing....it subtracts a -50,000,000 value from your account, and pays out a -50,000,000 value to the seller's account. Insult to injury

This is actually getting resolved as we speak. They seem to have a very good handle on it. Lets see how they handle it.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Well i Can't log on so i guess they sorting it out.

It is a bug filled exploit fest though. Thats the problem with all these lame astral shard /real money ah games. Always people out to make a buck at any means necessary.. They always have problems with people exploiting it and stuff. Gold spammers promoting their sites ect ect. It is crazy.

Neverwinter is fun. its to bad they went the lame route with the pay to win stuff. It turns me off of games sometimes.

That said, we have had our fair share of game breaking exploits and economic crumbling in DDO. Don't kid yourself. Our devs Can trump any game company on the planet when it comes to creating bugs . Were the best hands down... Neverwinter has 6 years to catch up! This bug only puts em at the 4 month mark in comparison to Turbine as far as the bug factor goes. Hahaha! joke joke
    Born to play, Forced to work !

Default Thanks for the idea NWO signed Turbine

Quote Originally Posted by badbob117 View Post
    Well i Can't log on so i guess they sorting it out.

It is a bug filled exploit fest though. Thats the problem with all these lame astral shard /real money ah games. Always people out to make a buck at any means necessary.. They always have problems with people exploiting it and stuff. Gold spammers promoting their sites ect ect. It is crazy.

Neverwinter is fun. its to bad they went the lame route with the pay to win stuff. It turns me off of games sometimes.

That said, we have had our fair share of game breaking exploits and economic crumbling in DDO. Don't kid yourself. Our devs Can trump any game company on the planet when it comes to creating bugs . Were the best hands down... Neverwinter has 6 years to catch up! This bug only puts em at the 4 month mark in comparison to Turbine as far as the bug factor goes. Hahaha! joke joke
    New to the DDO store

Positive integer bid bypasses
    150TP

Thank you again Neverwinter.

=P

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Heh I wonder if it removes the amount from the original seller's account too? Seems like that's what its doing....it subtracts a -50,000,000 value from your account, and pays out a -50,000,000 value to the seller's account. Insult to injury
    It's not that bad for the seller.

The seller ends up losing the item and getting nothing. Still pretty bad, but they don't lose any of their currency on hand.

And the bug has only been here for 2 days at most, not weeks.

You can tell quite easily because this only worked for bids, not buyouts. And the negative bids only popped up on the ah about 48 hours or so ago.

Lots of the exploiters are trying to launder the ill gotten currency buy buying the most expensive mounts, cats, and then selling/trading them to other players.

Global chat was massively spammed with "WTS cats" and "WTB cats"

A meme going around now is:

"That awkward moment in your game when the exploits are so bad that cats have become the main currency for trading."

Meh.

I've seen this in other games "a supposed exploit that will forever ruin the game" haven't seen an MMO yet that shut down due to "In-Game economic instability"

And yes- Turbine has never made this kind of bug.... They only released a bug that charged your card ONE HUNDRED TIMES for an automatic subscription.

I can't seem to decide.... which of those was worse..... Hmmmmmm.

(For those that can't get the sarcasm- it was the one that took so much of a players personal savings that he couldn't feed his 2 year old the next day)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnez View Post
    Meh.

I've seen this in other games "a supposed exploit that will forever ruin the game" haven't seen an MMO yet that shut down due to "In-Game economic instability"

And yes- Turbine has never made this kind of bug.... They only released a bug that charged your card ONE HUNDRED TIMES for an automatic subscription.

(For those that can't get the sarcasm- it was the one that took so much of a players personal savings that he couldn't feed his 2 year old the next day)
    Ya, that's what I was referencing when I said "a small number of player's wallets" in DDO. The number of people hit by that admittedly serious bug was relatively small. However the damage done in Neverwinter is much more widespread.

NWO posted there will be no wipe. Sure a wipe would be easier on removing exploiters gains, but it would be tough to refund all zen spent in game as that too would require log analysis and tons of individual action.

They released NWO too soon. There have been far too many high impact bugs.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

So something that impacts a HANDFUL of people, like .0001% of the player population, who were all eventually reimbursed for the billing error is more egregious than something that affects the ENTIRE PLAYER POPULATION and it's unlikely anyone negatively affected (those who got no compensation for their auctioned items) will be reimbursed?

Please keep ignoring those jury summons. Seriously.

Ya, that's what I was referencing when I said "a small number of player's wallets" in DDO. The number of people hit by that admittedly serious bug was relatively small. However the damage done in Neverwinter is much more widespread.

It's not even comparable. The folks who lost their items in Neverwinter auctions are certainly never going to be reimbursed for them.

Meh.

I've seen this in other games "a supposed exploit that will forever ruin the game" haven't seen an MMO yet that shut down due to "In-Game economic instability.
    Aeria Twelvesky 1 and 2. The sequel being a hack for "contribution points" that allows exchange for game money. meaning, everyone was billionaires thousands of times over.
    you changed, bro...

Community Member

One person bought $90,000 worth of the Zen currency in a couple hours last night.
    I wonder what luxuries they bought with such an immense fortune.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast