Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Do people still play DDO?

    Do people still play, if so what server is the most highly populated?

  2. #2
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    It's either dying or growing depending on who you ask and the most populated servers are probably khyber and thelanis.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Ah I'll give it a shot. Loved this game back in the day ha. Thank you for the info, I'll go give those servers a looksy!

  4. #4
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogezzus View Post
    Ah I'll give it a shot. Loved this game back in the day ha. Thank you for the info, I'll go give those servers a looksy!
    It does seem to be getting smaller lately no doubt about it, looking at the logins on that DDO tracker site there is a clear slow decline, not drastic but there.

    I think it's as much to do with poor grouping design and mechanics and Neverwinter beta as anything else. Grouping is just super inertia strangled and difficult when the player base drops below critical mass (which IMO we are hovering right around at this point), due to all the hurdles and obstacles in the way of joining and getting people to join LFM's.

    It doesn't help that they dropped this steaming pile aka "forum update" on forum users at the same time that they previewed a horrible mishmash of enhancement updates filled with broken promises, Uber-nerf bait build combo's and disappointing lack of the most interesting features they had talked up, and the same incomplete racial and 3rd class PrE's as live...

    So there's some people pretty disgusted with Turbine right now... And deservedly so. But the game is fun to play, and IMO more diverse and interesting than in past years. If you can find a group in your level range, doing content you are flagged for, in a difficulty that wont break your BB streak, asking for a class you have in that level range, running content that has loot you want, and that you haven't repeated so many times you're getting penalties for, and you don't mind "bringing your own healing" (and sorry that doesn't mean a hireling) and you "know it" or are comfortable pretending that you know it and trying to follow the guy who does know it (Well hopefully he knows it! Nothing like running after someone who also doesn't "know it" when you also don't "know it"). Oh and you know how to get TO the quest entrance, and where to find the quest giver. Also you've brought up DDOwiki in the background so you can check to see if running that quest requires you to have already completed another chain (otherwise that Quest giver might not even show up on the map, but hey they could just be inside a bar or in a different house than the actual patron and/or location of the quest, so don't just assume you can't find them because you didn't complete some other chain of quests... no don't do that.) And lets not forget: the quest could be in a house that has nothing to do with the patron, the quest giver could be in yet another house that also has nothing to do with the patron... So good thing you always have DDOwiki up, because third party websites that are maintained by players, but are none the less hundreds of times more accurate and quickly updated than the official compendium should be an integral part of your gameplay.

  5. #5
    Founder & Hero Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    22,926

    Default

    I haven't been playing as I hate the forum changes and not liking what I see about the enhancement changes

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  6. #6
    Hatchery Hero BOgre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middlonowhere, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I haven't been playing as I hate the forum changes and not liking what I see about the enhancement changes
    I'm not sure why, but just about everything you post prompts me to disagree.

    1) the forum changes have zero to do with gameplay. Your point is irrelevant.
    2) the enhancement changes are neither final nor on Live. Your point is irrelevant.

    If these are truly the reasons you're not playing (not just 'you' but 'All y'all out there'), then you need to drop the drama and get back in the game.

  7. #7
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    It does seem to be getting smaller lately no doubt about it, looking at the logins on that DDO tracker site there is a clear slow decline, not drastic but there.

    I think it's as much to do with poor grouping design and mechanics and Neverwinter beta as anything else. Grouping is just super inertia strangled and difficult when the player base drops below critical mass (which IMO we are hovering right around at this point), due to all the hurdles and obstacles in the way of joining and getting people to join LFM's.

    It doesn't help that they dropped this steaming pile aka "forum update" on forum users at the same time that they previewed a horrible mishmash of enhancement updates filled with broken promises, Uber-nerf bait build combo's and disappointing lack of the most interesting features they had talked up, and the same incomplete racial and 3rd class PrE's as live...

    So there's some people pretty disgusted with Turbine right now... And deservedly so. But the game is fun to play, and IMO more diverse and interesting than in past years. If you can find a group in your level range, doing content you are flagged for, in a difficulty that wont break your BB streak, asking for a class you have in that level range, running content that has loot you want, and that you haven't repeated so many times you're getting penalties for, and you don't mind "bringing your own healing" (and sorry that doesn't mean a hireling) and you "know it" or are comfortable pretending that you know it and trying to follow the guy who does know it (Well hopefully he knows it! Nothing like running after someone who also doesn't "know it" when you also don't "know it"). Oh and you know how to get TO the quest entrance, and where to find the quest giver. Also you've brought up DDOwiki in the background so you can check to see if running that quest requires you to have already completed another chain (otherwise that Quest giver might not even show up on the map, but hey they could just be inside a bar or in a different house than the actual patron and/or location of the quest, so don't just assume you can't find them because you didn't complete some other chain of quests... no don't do that.) And lets not forget: the quest could be in a house that has nothing to do with the patron, the quest giver could be in yet another house that also has nothing to do with the patron... So good thing you always have DDOwiki up, because third party websites that are maintained by players, but are none the less hundreds of times more accurate and quickly updated than the official compendium should be an integral part of your gameplay.
    Someone has their rage face on this morning.
    I think you're getting a little worked up about a problem that doesn't really matter.
    Grouping is fine in DDO. Nearly everything you just described with the exception of quest givers, is just you not liking how some people play, and/or make their LFMS.
    Which makes it a non-issue.

    But I agree that some quest givers, not that many though can be pretty stupidly placed. But that's rarely an issue, after a quick look at the wiki, and a bit experience you remember where things are anyways.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  8. #8
    Community Member Arnhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO, USA
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    I still play. Despite what appears to me to be awful management practices by Turbine, and the impending enhancement changes that will make for an entirely new type of game play, I enjoy playing DDO with friends in my guild.
    There is no free lunch.

  9. #9
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    3,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    I'm not sure why, but just about everything you post prompts me to disagree.

    1) the forum changes have zero to do with gameplay. Your point is irrelevant.
    2) the enhancement changes are neither final nor on Live. Your point is irrelevant.

    If these are truly the reasons you're not playing (not just 'you' but 'All y'all out there'), then you need to drop the drama and get back in the game.
    I think the forum reference was more featured at the * list of items that are used as a toilet bowl instead of taking the time to screw up a forum.

    And while not final or live that "thing" is such a.. well we won't say those words, aside from a complete rework (lol work) it would still just be a waste. It's like trying to build a grand sand sculpture when you know the tides coming in in an hours time.

    Sure you can gloss over it with "Well if you play to have fun it shouldn't matter" But that's outright bs! Their is no fun. We are human beings and humans always strive to reach for greatness. So what TR? Go to make something that will probably be as amazing as a dps pally main healing a LOB raid? Grind on at end game (that's a whole other ball game there of finding life) all the while thinking, man this thing is just going to be shanked in the shower in a month or two.

    Ain't nothing irrelevant.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    I'm not sure why, but just about everything you post prompts me to disagree.

    1) the forum changes have zero to do with gameplay. Your point is irrelevant.
    The forum and community in it was a major part of what I enjoyed about DDO, so I don't think that is irrelevant.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

  11. #11
    Community Member relenttless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    593

    Default

    the forum changes are truly a big pile of poorly-designed, badly thought out, unattractive, unnecessary dog-do...HOWEVER, they are actually brilliant, in a classically cack-handed Turbine sort of way because now I only visit for a few minutes a week now instead of many times a day.

    Which means I'm playing DDO far more, and enjoying the game like never before.

    My advice:
    Ditch this appalling poor excuse for a forum and just get on with playing the game.
    You'll be surprised how much you enjoy it
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

    "Some are insane, and the're in charge"

    Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    353

    Default

    I was on Orien today and there were 10 players logged on who were between level 12 and level 15. No fun if you are trying to get a PUG going.

  13. #13
    Community Member apaurin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some tavern on Thelanis...
    Posts
    155

    Default

    I haven't touched it since the billing fiasco, but thinking of coming back. I kind of miss it from time to time, but for sure won't go back to VIP any time soon.
    Active characters: Pssyche * Dredmor * Worley * Bundolo

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    2) the enhancement changes are neither final nor on Live. Your point is irrelevant.
    That is a hell of a stretch. It's a lot like saying "The weather forecast may say that there is a tornado coming over the weekend, but that is no reason to not go camping!" If the design direction, not just the details of the change but the high level direction of it, for the game is rubbish then there is very little reason to continue playing.

  15. #15
    Founder & Hero Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    22,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    I'm not sure why, but just about everything you post prompts me to disagree.

    1) the forum changes have zero to do with gameplay. Your point is irrelevant.
    2) the enhancement changes are neither final nor on Live. Your point is irrelevant.

    If these are truly the reasons you're not playing (not just 'you' but 'All y'all out there'), then you need to drop the drama and get back in the game.
    Part of my enjoyment of the game is the forums and turbine's history shows they usually change little after showing it and I think your trolling as you usually do.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  16. #16
    Hero Musouka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,454

    Default

    I see they fixed my forum account, so maybe I'll come back here a bit. However, I cannot bring myself to reinstall the game right now.

    I'm not playing anything else at the moment also. The direction this game is going is really going to change how we build characters completely. I feel that certain multiclasses are now going to be gimped with the new setup for enhancements coming, and I also hate that they plan on throwing another expansion at us so quick when the first one really didn't come with a whole lot that was actually new. If you paid the higher price, most of what you got was old stuff.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

  17. #17
    Community Member Psiandron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    I'm right here.
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    I feel that certain multiclasses are now going to be gimped with the new setup for enhancements coming,
    Actually, from what I saw, multi-class toons will probably come out way ahead on the new enhancement pass. IMO, ofc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

  18. #18
    Community Member scoobmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    I'm not seeing a problem. I log onto Argo everyday and there's plenty of activity.
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

  19. #19
    Hero Musouka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psiandron View Post
    Actually, from what I saw, multi-class toons will probably come out way ahead on the new enhancement pass. IMO, ofc.
    I'm just saying certain ones. Not all. I do see that my own multi-classes may suffer in some regard, but gain in others.

    Overall it's a game changer. Everyone is going to have to adjust to a new way to build and play.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

  20. #20
    Community Member enochiancub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    DDO may not be the best run mmo on the market, but it's the one I always come back to when I have the time to play a game.

    Granted the gaps in my ability to play may be years thanks to my job. I last logged in back in 2009 and boy howdy there were a lot of changes since then, but I'm adjusting and still loving DDO. I'll be loving it even more when I learn to re-gear all my toons and when I figure out how to make my arti's iron defender actually friggen defend!

    Though, *** is with these new forums?

    Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload