Community Member

Default Let Sleeping Dust Lie, Jump Spot

I finally have a toon with high jump skill, and want to do the shortcut to the second book in "Let Sleeping Dust Lie". The wiki says to "leap from the east wall to the pile of stone in the southeast to the west walkway". I have tried all over the east wall, and everywhere else for that matter, and cannot find a place where I can get up to the next level. I have a 44 jump and have tried hasted and unhasted. The Youtube videos don't do this step. Can someone help me out?

Community Member

Also curious about this...

I tried it as well with a 40+ jump and no luck...however I suspect we need more than just a high jump skill +haste reading the full paragraph.

It would be a great help if someone had the experience doing this and could explain if something is missing or not.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Let_Sleeping_Dust_Lie

"?It's possible, using a monk's Abundant Step, a favored soul's Leap of Faith, or similar abilities (such as that found on the Cannith Boots of Propulsion) to leap from the east wall to the pile of stone in the southeast to the west walkway, and find the second journal entry. The ledge can also be reached using a combination of Haste, Sprint Boost I, feather fall, and a high jump skill. This can allow you to actually skip reading the first journal until *after* the final fight, letting you safely kill any spiders you meet. The west and northeast walkways are reasonably easily accessed this way, but it may not be possible to reach the southeast walkway because it's so high."

Edit: sorry some of my text got deleted so had to re-post it
    Last edited by sk3l3t0r; 05-17-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    Also curious about this...

I tried it as well with a 40+ jump and no luck...however I suspect we need more than just a high jump skill +haste reading the full paragraph.

It would be a great help if someone had the experience doing this and could explain if something is missing or not.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Let_Sleeping_Dust_Lie

"?It's possible, using a monk's Abundant Step, a favored soul's Leap of Faith, or similar abilities (such as that found on the Cannith Boots of Propulsion) to leap from the east wall to the pile of stone in the southeast to the west walkway, and find the second journal entry. The ledge can also be reached using a combination of Haste, Sprint Boost I, feather fall, and a high jump skill. This can allow you to actually skip reading the first journal until *after* the final fight, letting you safely kill any spiders you meet. The west and northeast walkways are reasonably easily accessed this way, but it may not be possible to reach the southeast walkway because it's so high."

Edit: sorry some of my text got deleted so had to re-post it
    Do not talk about anything in the forums you are not willing to see nerfed. We already have too many invisible walls of irritation, no?

Yes, you can still do it. It may be hard to find without someone showing you, and then a lot of practice if you want to do it consistently. There used to be a youtube video of it, but a quick look didn't find anything.

It's not fun to try even with unlimited Leap of Faith attempts, I wouldn't want to try it with Cannith Boots let alone trying to do it with just jumping.

Really, it's completely unnecessary. It might've made sense 4 years ago, but you should be overpowered enough at level 18 that even elite should be a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Yes, you can still do it. It may be hard to find without someone showing you, and then a lot of practice if you want to do it consistently. There used to be a youtube video of it, but a quick look didn't find anything.

It's not fun to try even with unlimited Leap of Faith attempts, I wouldn't want to try it with Cannith Boots let alone trying to do it with just jumping.

Really, it's completely unnecessary. It might've made sense 4 years ago, but you should be overpowered enough at level 18 that even elite should be a breeze.
    Like to add you can easily tab the book to see where it is up top, and then run/fight to it just as fast as someone struggling to make the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Like to add you can easily tab the book to see where it is up top, and then run/fight to it just as fast as someone struggling to make the jump.
    Looking for book 2 so you know which tunnel to go down is a good thing to do if you're doing the quest normally, which is what most people should be doing.

Jumping to book 2 can speed the quest up if you're zerging though, which is where it makes sense. The jumper can go straight to book 2, skipping book 1, and then the group can split with some going Lycosa -> end and some finding book 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Aakkaa View Post
    I finally have a toon with high jump skill, and want to do the shortcut to the second book in "Let Sleeping Dust Lie". The wiki says to "leap from the east wall to the pile of stone in the southeast to the west walkway". I have tried all over the east wall, and everywhere else for that matter, and cannot find a place where I can get up to the next level. I have a 44 jump and have tried hasted and unhasted. The Youtube videos don't do this step. Can someone help me out?
    It cannot be fully done with only normal jumping. I won't say more than that.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Looking for book 2 so you know which tunnel to go down is a good thing to do if you're doing the quest normally, which is what most people should be doing.

Jumping to book 2 can speed the quest up if you're zerging though, which is where it makes sense. The jumper can go straight to book 2, skipping book 1, and then the group can split with some going Lycosa -> end and some finding book 1.

Yeah I know that. I've jumped to the book many times, but I mean if the person is having problems jumping to it, most times just tabbing to locate which tunnel it's down and running to it can be faster then waiting for the person jumping to it.

/facepalm
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Community Member

I am level 18 on Sarlona. If you want I can show you, but as far as I know it only works for 1 of the 3 spots. If it's not there I am unable to get to the other 2 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewSlarden View Post
    I am level 18 on Sarlona. If you want I can show you, but as far as I know it only works for 1 of the 3 spots. If it's not there I am unable to get to the other 2 spots.
    Two. It's not difficult to jump from the walkway you end up on to the one parallel. The third one is so high you can't, though.

I've made that jump before, but it's not easy to do consistently. Only been able to do it with characters with sprint boost though.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled175 View Post
    Do not talk about anything in the forums you are not willing to see nerfed. We already have too many invisible walls of irritation, no?
    I have to facepalm as well anytime I see someone mention what could easily be deemed an exploit on the forums. While I find it somewhat unlikely the developers do not know about this, I certainly wouldn't put this somewhere the developers are going to see it. They have a tendency to fix anything they dislike much faster than something that may be penalizing the players.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Just run the quest as it was designed to run and stop cheating

First, the ability to make the jump is not an exploit. It has been well documented on the DDO Wiki and routinely shared among players for years now.

Second, it is a mistake to think that running a quest in a particular way is how a quest was designed to be run. Many quests have multiple ways in which they can be run and in which the quest objectives can be achieved. Just because most people read the books in a particular order that does not mean that they MUST be read in that order. In fact, nothing in the quest objectives requires that they be read in a particular order.

Third, the second book is almost always located in one of two spots -- perhaps always located in one of two spots. The easiest to get to is near the upper level shrine.

The jump path is to go up the pile of stones that is just to the left as you face the spider queen's prison room. If you look at a map of the quest you will see the prison room. As you work back from that there is a depression on the right side and a hallway on the left. As you continue to work back there is a pile of stone along the left side just where that hallway begins. There is a path involving a couple of jumps up that pile of stone.

I find it easiest to jump to the first perch point and then to move a bit forward. The first few times you will probably hit the end of the perch point and fall. But, with practice you will gain a small amount of height.

A second jump will take you to the top of the rock pile and you can then walk to the peak. A sufficient jump combined with something like a monk's abundant step, favored soul's wings or Cannith boots will let you jump across to the walk way.

From there it is a right hand turn along the walkway to the shrine and book location number one.

The second location is all the way across the cavern from there.

It is possible to jump to a ledge in the center of the room that is on a support column that rises up from the floor to the roof. This is a very tricky jump and takes good Mario skills.

From that ledge it is possible to jump across to the second walkway area and book location number two.

Personally, I find this second set of jumps quite difficult and seldom try them. Instead I just recall out and reset the instance until the book spawns in the first location.

After reading the book on the upper level you can proceed directly to the fight with the spider queen's attackers and then to the "end" fight. Now you can clear the remainder of the dungeon until you find the book on the lower level.

If you have not cleared the entire lower level then do not read the book -- instead clear the entire lower level.

Now read the book and go to the new "end" encounter. Kill that boss, get your XP and quest completion and satisfy the quest requirement to kill no additional spiders after reading the lower level book.

Note: Doing the quest the "standard" way and killing ZERO spiders still spawns an extra chest. If you are in it for the challenge then, by all means, take that path.

I should note that there is supposed to be a jump location to the second spawn spot that involves a similar jump process as getting to the location near the upper shrine. However, I have never seen anyone use it and have not found it on my own.

I suppose that it would be an easier path that would let players with the skills check both upper spawn locations quickly. But, I've never managed it other than the way I described.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    First, the ability to make the jump is not an exploit. It has been well documented on the DDO Wiki and routinely shared among players for years now.
    Just because a jump-around is well-known and not an "exploit" doesn't mean the devs won't decide to nerf it.

Big Top. Enter the Kobold. Probably others.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    /facepalm
    /seconded
    It's definitely an N-word.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Just because a jump-around is well-known and not an "exploit" doesn't mean the devs won't decide to nerf it.
    True, but not the point.

If you want to note that the first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club -- well, that is one thing.

But, to argue that using the jump point is an exploit and therefore cheating is incorrect.

I know that you understand the nuances.

Community Member

Easiest quest in vale- in terms of what mobs spawn, no traps. Even If they do nerf the 2nd journal location it wouldnt make much of a difference to most parties at all.