Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13

    Post Turbine, Please let us chat in other language in the game! It's unfair!

    First, My English is not well-skilled, so there're some points you would be difficult to understand.



    There are a lot people to enjoy Dungeon and Dragon Online, and That includes non-English users(not British or American). Especially, You should have an experience to meet players who might be which one of Chinese, Japanese or Korean and so on like Russian... They don't use English generally. But most of them are incapable of chatting with their own language, because the game doesn't show certain characters as the font in the game has not the characters of those languages except for English, Greek, Russian(Cyrillic). It's really unfair. why not us?

    I'm a Korean. You can see I can do well as English with no problem. yes, I'm no problem with you guys to converse. but I have many problem to converse with Koreans, my country buddies. We can HARDLY converse each other as there's no characters to express our language well. many people from other countries(Like Chinese, Japanese) have also same problem to this tragedy with being unconversational. This problem made also other problem that people who was troubled in this gonna leave from the game. so I lost some of my friends because of this, They left the game.

    This problem is not from input system, It's because of font in the game. We can type as our languages well, but typed word becomes "??????." you can see a screenshot below... I don't think putting new characters to the font doesn't cost terribly, but this would make new people who have potentials to purchase the game. at least you can have that reason to do this.

    So, Turbine. Could you please add the font into the game for us? Adding new characters into current font would not be high cost to do. even you made Cyrillic of Russian and Greek Letters. It's unfair.
    or by the other word, can you make us happy as the token of that we didn't not give up your game? we have royalties for your game... Please, font please.



    I put some Q&A below, as I might forget to write something important in that word above.


    [1] I can't understand what problem you have.
    See the screenshot below.



    *I changed font size to 16 from 14, to make the legibility of that. Default size is 14.
    *I can't change or add font by that function. only developers can do that.

    as you can see, everything which is not in the font appears as ??????. but we can type at least.
    while Greek and Russian have no problem... :/


    [2] You can use Voice chat by the in-game system or MUMBLE.
    That's not a proper solution. It forces everyone to have a microphone to voice, and It's not that everyone must have a microphone. have you a microphone always?
    Plus, There's a problem to hear something like me. It's personal problem, but It would be a reason.


    [3] They should require many human resource or companial capital to make them able to chat.
    Yes, It's true that They'd take the cost to do. but I don't think the cost of doing that is not really "MANY." It's just to put new characters into the current game font. They don't need to change their character input system, It works already well for every character.


    [4] They should change their character input system.
    It's not the problem about input system. It's about the font. Cyrillic(of Russian) and Greek letters are in the game font already, even Turbine never offered any service for Russia and Greek directly.


    [5] Exactly, What's that word of "We" you wrote?
    We -Korean, Chinese and Japanese- are at same position about this problem. We took the game service once, but that game service was gone long time ago. even Turbine didn't offer service directly, but did it by national localizing to permit the publishers. We had our own national servers, and we moved to English Servers after our national servers gone because the publishers was incapable to operate the game service.


    [6] Why should Turbine do that for you?
    Yeah, They don't have any must to do that. It's true. We're the weak. even what I'm doing(like writing this) is same to cry to the midair. They would not add the new characters into the font even if we complained about this. but It's a serious problem of expression which ppl should do generally without trouble, and We'd get that problem due to the lack of the font. We want at least they'd solve this unbelievable tradegy.

    By the way, This would bring more players who has a potential to purchase the game. This can make a great effect by costing less. at least this can be a reason.


    [7] So what's the solution?
    I wrote it already, will write it again here. Adding the unadded characters into the current font of the game.


    [8] You could write this on suggestion&idea forum.
    Generally, developers don't answer anything of that forum. so, getting their answer easily is writing this on general board, where there's a high chance that developers would remain an answer.


    [9] I think There aren't many foreigners enough to do this.
    They don't use the forum well, but I hope they would make many posts on this, to prove that work is worth.



    P.S. New forum system made my nickname worse.

  2. #2
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Don't take this the wrong way, but if Turbine ignores and treats with casual contempt those of us who speak their native language (and they do) what hope do you really think you've got here?

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if Turbine ignores and treats with casual contempt those of us who speak their native language (and they do) what hope do you really think you've got here?
    I just want Turbine to see then answer this at least. If they disagreed, we would lost any hope about this anymore, agreed, we'd get happy. That's it. I don't think this'd make natives getting contempt. Why would that happen?



    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I'm going to be the bad guy here but no just no. I've thought about this since your last post, every game I've seen that has those extra fonts they're used primarily to spam chat channels with garbage to grief english speakers. You're asking something to be put in that would grief the majority of the playerbase.

    /not signed.
    I'm not sure what made you to think like that. what? used to spam? I don't chat as my language generally for public. I do only while I'm in the korean party or in the guild chat. pluse, I've never seen anything like that unpleasurable happen. Is it serious enough to call it as garbage for you and ppl?
    Last edited by ???; 05-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.

  4. #4
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post
    I'm not sure what made you to think like that. what? used to spam? I don't chat as my language generally and spam. I do only while I'm in the korean party or in the guild chat. pluse, I've never seen anything like that unpleasurable happen. Is it serious enough to call it as garbage for you and ppl?
    You talking to others that speak the language is not garbage but to give you an example I played eve for a while and it had many language fonts included. A typical example of how it was used was people typing something

    "ha ha you are all noobs i am god, you suck ext ext ext."

    This would however have much more vulgarity that I've edited out. The person would then spam this over and over again.

    The reason I know what was being said at that point was that I used google translate to figure out what was being said out of curiousity. This is all these additional fonts would create imo, you'd have five or six happy people per server and 100's irritated by spam.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You talking to others that speak the language is not garbage but to give you an example I played eve for a while and it had many language fonts included. A typical example of how it was used was people typing something

    "ha ha you are all noobs i am god, you suck ext ext ext."

    This would however have much more vulgarity that I've edited out. The person would then spam this over and over again.

    The reason I know what was being said at that point was that I used google translate to figure out what was being said out of curiousity. This is all these additional fonts would create imo, you'd have five or six happy people per server and 100's irritated by spam.
    everqeust? oh. I know that tragedic case. I played with no problem of conversation, but someday, SOE blocked non-english font... I don't know why they had to do, but ppl says It's because someone was spamming with his language rudely for public. after this case, almost ppl left. It was not except for me to leave.
    so I suggested a substitutional way that to chat as other language only in the guild channel or custom channel chat... then they would be not able to spam with weird characters of their language, even they would do as English. :/ I thought that when I wrote this on Idea&Suggestion forum first. some natives accepted that and you would be acceptable with this substitutional way at least.
    Last edited by ???; 05-02-2013 at 10:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Would it be possible to somehow replace the Verdana font on your computer with e.g. Arial Unicode MS or whatever font that can correctly display your national characters.

    Or perhaps check out the ini file if the font name is mentioned there - and replace it with something else. Worth trying.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru212 View Post
    Would it be possible to somehow replace the Verdana font on your computer with e.g. Arial Unicode MS or whatever font that can correctly display your national characters.

    Or perhaps check out the ini file if the font name is mentioned there - and replace it with something else. Worth trying.
    I tried with OS Font, ini and some game file but It looks like the font is internal in the game... also I thought hooking from the game chat... even I have no skill about that. :/

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Non-Latin characters wont be added, because the mods cant moderate posts in Chinese or Korean or whatever characters. Unless they want to hire native Asian language speaking mods (which they dont), there's no way to prevent Chinese spam and other chat channel abuses.Also, it doesnt unite the playerbase, it divides it up into groups of players that dont communicate with each other. Many Internet gamers abroad DO speak some English, so giving them the crutch of, say, Korean character support, with a bunch of Korean guildmates, ensures that they never have to interact with any native English players on their server.Lastly, all that being said, you CAN still transliterate any language into Latin characters. It may not be ideal, but if you really really want to talk in Korean...dangsin-eun geugeos-eul hal ??su issseubnida

  9. #9
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    You're Korean, you say? I'm American and I just wanted to say that one of your countrymen is a personal hero of mine. Admiral Yi Sun-sin is seven distinct flavors of awesome.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    1) You can still transliterate any language into Latin characters2) Its impossible for mods to moderate communication in alphabets they're illiterate in. There's no way Turbine could stop Chinese or Korean spam and other chat-channel abuses. At least transliterated phrases can be easily Google-translated to get the general idea of what its saying.3) There's no reason for Turbine to empower players to never communicate with each other. Many Internet gamers DO speak English, and as a lingua franca in DDO it helps ensure players are interacting with the whole community, not just forming enclaves with their countrymates.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid_327 View Post
    Non-Latin characters wont be added, because the mods cant moderate posts in Chinese or Korean or whatever characters. Unless they want to hire native Asian language speaking mods (which they dont), there's no way to prevent Chinese spam and other chat channel abuses.Also, it doesnt unite the playerbase, it divides it up into groups of players that dont communicate with each other. Many Internet gamers abroad DO speak some English, so giving them the crutch of, say, Korean character support, with a bunch of Korean guildmates, ensures that they never have to interact with any native English players on their server.Lastly, all that being said, you CAN still transliterate any language into Latin characters. It may not be ideal, but if you really really want to talk in Korean...dangsin-eun geugeos-eul hal ??su issseubnida
    excuse me, what's DO speak?
    and, yes. we use transliterating already, but that made once discord of conversation to let one of guildie leave from the guild.

  12. #12
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post
    excuse me, what's DO speak?
    and, yes. we use transliterating already, but that made once discord of conversation to let one of guildie leave from the guild.
    DO is do capitalized for emphasis.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post
    excuse me, what's DO speak?
    Many gamers do speak English, I meant, just emphasis on the "do". Some gamers dont, many gamers do.

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    You're Korean, you say? I'm American and I just wanted to say that one of your countrymen is a personal hero of mine. Admiral Yi Sun-sin is seven distinct flavors of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    DO is do capitalized for emphasis.
    yes. He is awesome one of heroes from whole Korean history, and ever admirable.
    and thanks to teach me. I thought something short-form of a word.. :/

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    /signed
    add the fonts.

    i wont understand a thing but *reading* (looking at) another alphabet is already traveling for me.
    no wonder we are enthraled by *elven*, *dwarven* runes...

    the 2 foreign languages i picked up at school beside english were russian & greek, *because* they were so mysterious.

    by the way, i do love to learn a word or two from a foreign language, part of traveling from my armchair thing.
    be nice, learn to say *hi* in as many languages as you can, its an bondmaker.

  16. #16
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    I could gush for ages about Admiral Yi. He's probably the greatest naval mind in human history. Makes Lord Nelson look like a seasick landlubber.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru212 View Post
    Would it be possible to somehow replace the Verdana font on your computer with e.g. Arial Unicode MS or whatever font that can correctly display your national characters.
    Good point. The fonts already exists on most machines. It shouldn't be too difficult for the devs to add a Unicode font to the game, unless the game code cannot yet handle Unicode strings. I would think the presence of Cyrillic and Hellenic characters in game indicate Unicode is supported, but I could be wrong.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid_327 View Post
    1) You can still transliterate any language into Latin characters
    Yes, you said It's not ideal way, and It's right. but unlike chinese and japanese, Korean is terribly unproper for transliterating. You wrote "dangsin-eun geugeos-eul halsu issseubnida" but generally we wrote it as "dang sin un hal su it sup ni da" and It has something incomprehensibility, plus we don't write that, do it as "hal su it um" simply. but something important or difficult to explain is getting bad to understand and write. while japanese and chinese use English to make their words at least, so their situation is better than Korean...

    Quote Originally Posted by droid_327 View Post
    2) Its impossible for mods to moderate communication in alphabets they're illiterate in. There's no way Turbine could stop Chinese or Korean spam and other chat-channel abuses. At least transliterated phrases can be easily Google-translated to get the general idea of what its saying.
    maybe I might agree about Chinese spam if I was on Sarlona, but I've never seen spam complainable or something about Korean. and I'm not sure about Chinnese, but transliterated korean words are not translatable ever by machine translator. because Korean has complexity of language...? whatever, It's difficult for machine translator.

    Quote Originally Posted by droid_327 View Post
    3) There's no reason for Turbine to empower players to never communicate with each other. Many Internet gamers DO speak English, and as a lingua franca in DDO it helps ensure players are interacting with the whole community, not just forming enclaves with their countrymates.
    I don't know this really make players incoummunicate each other. yes. English is almost lingua franca, but that dosen't mean everyone must be able to use that.
    I met and played with a french player who doesn't know English once. but everyone in the party needed to chat french(by google translator.. lol) to speak him something to prevent him making terrible situation like messing a puzzle..
    Last edited by ???; 05-02-2013 at 11:23 AM.

  19. #19
    Community Member marciosilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...
    Posts
    41

    Default

    As a portuguese user, I have no problems in writing western european characters even when our typical accents don't work. Here are a few examples:

    ?* and á [I can write an a instead]
    õ [can use o]
    ê [can use e]

    And so on. I don't remember now, but I think I do see those characters in-game. Need to try it later to be sure. Just out of curiosity, do you guys see these characters here in the forums? I always write in english so I never noticed that. I do see them here in my computer, but most people may use other codifications.

    Anyway, I agree with the OP. Makes sense if the game could use the already installed fonts. Less hassle and more happy customers. More happy customers = more money into Turbine bank account. Simple

    last minute edit: the character in red does not show up correctly. Should be an A with an accent like the other green A, but on the opposite direction. Never saw one accent appear and the other don't...
    Last edited by marciosilva; 05-02-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

  20. #20
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council
    TrinityTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    3,229

    Default

    Has anyone considered setting up a teamspeak or some other free service (whatever the Korean version of such is?) to use to communicate? TeamSpeak allows both verbal and written communication, and I would think would be easy for user to install their fonts if they're not already there.

    It's not a perfect solution, it would require a separate program on the side that people would have to call up to see the text only users, but it is a much better voice chat program and has a lot of benefits to offer (like being able to individually adjust the sound on my end so I can turn loud mics down and soft ones up). And since it's unlikely that the font will be installed at this time, I suggest it because I personally would want workaround solutions offered to me, and I mean no disrespect nor do I address whether it's 'fair' or not between WB/Turbine and non-English users. I prefer practicality to philosopy.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

    Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload