Default Paladin: 2-handed DPS build?

Hi everyone. I'm returning to DDO after a long break. I had a level 10 paladin built for DPS but I would like to remake her.

I'm having troubles finding an up-to-date guide for creating a 2-handed damage paladin. I'd like to be able to provide healing/tanking/buffing support but main priority is DPS / smiting.

This would be a 28-pt build and race would be Human. Also going for pure paladin.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nowe; 05-16-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Nowe: 10.1 Ranger
    Delrin: 4.1 Fighter

The basics of creating a THF pally haven't changed much in recent years; Junts' pally guide is still a good place to start, despite its age.

The main things you need to decide are:
    • Stats: STR, CHA, and CON are the key ones. Usually start with at least CON 14, enough CHA to max out Divine Might (w/+CHA tome), the rest into STR; but there are exceptions.
    • Pure or multi-classed: pure nets you the capstone & DM IV (if your base CHA is high enough); MCing lets you add feats, Evasion, and/or different skills to your build.
    • DoS or not to DoS: even if you're not going for tanking, DoS is a solid generic-DPS PrE if you can survive the added aggro. The downside is the feat pre-req; KotC & HotD have none.
    • Feats: this is usually the toughest choice, since pallies get so few, esp. if pure. To me the must-haves are Power Atk, Imp Crit Slash, and Toughness. After that, it depends on your focus: for DPS, THF x3 + Cleave/GC/OverCrit would be best; for S&B tanking, Shield Mastery, ISM, probably b.sword prof and maybe Combat Expertise; for self-heals, Quik, Max, and/or Emp Heal.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Thank you for the tips!

I decided to continue my level 10 paladin so I can TR and fix anything thats needed.

Community Member

I wouod recommend splashing 3 monk and 2 fighter levels. That would net you 4 extra feats, evasion and 10% healing amp as well as qualifying you for DoS.

Since you're already at level 10 though, or may be difficult to get relevant feats with the extra martial feats. Even splashing just 2 monk or 2 fighter would a good idea at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceruleus View Post
    I wouod recommend splashing 3 monk and 2 fighter levels. That would net you 4 extra feats, evasion and 10% healing amp as well as qualifying you for DoS.

Since you're already at level 10 though, or may be difficult to get relevant feats with the extra martial feats. Even splashing just 2 monk or 2 fighter would a good idea at this point.
    ^^ Very good advice, also Fleckislaupir feats
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Quote Originally Posted by Ceruleus View Post

To clarify, it makes a lot of sense to continue on with Paladin levels for now as there are a lot of goodies there:
    -Level 11 gets you 30 point resists. Not such a big deal with ship buffs, but handy in a pinch
    -Level 12 gets you tier 2 of Hunter of the Dead: 10% healing amp, immunity to level drain. All Paladins should be Hunter of the Dead at this level
    -Level 14 gets you your 4th level spell, zeal for 10% doublestrike

OP, after level 14, the best thing to do depends on what feats you have and what your base charisma is (i.e. starting + tomes + level up). If you perhaps let us know that, we can then help you fill out the rest of your build.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin
    Grolyn Stoutheart, Divine Disciple Cleric
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler

Quote Originally Posted by Nowe View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm returning to DDO after a long break. I had a level 10 paladin built for DPS but I would like to remake her.
    Whatever you decide, your paladin may have a free +0 lesser heart of wood to use. Starting in U14 (last July) every character gets a once-ever free LR by talking to Kruz. You can't change any class level, but you can redo you stats skills and feats. Unlike the free token with Fred, this is once per characetr, not life. Meaning if you use it now, then go to 20 and tr, on your next life you won't be able to use it again.

Having said that, I think this is the perfect opportunity to come up with a build concept you like (and going up to pally 15 then splashing 3 monk and 2 fighter for the last 5 levels, for example, would work fine) and then using the free LR to convert your 10th level pally into it.

I will say this: If you want a thf dps melee, great cleave is pretty much required. Plus it's crazy fun.

Thank you everyone for the assistance! I apologize for the delay in my response. I have her at level 12 now and I was fairly strict with builds so it looks like I built her correctly for the most part...

Level 12 Human Paladin Lawful Good

HP:240 MP:222

Base Stats:

STR:19 (current:24+7)
    DEX:10 (10+0)
    CON:14 (17+3)
    INT:8 (9-1)
    WIS:8 (14+2)
    CHA:16 (21+5)

Feats:

LVL1: Toughness
    LVL3: Weapon Focus: Slashing
    LVL6: Improved Two Handed Fighting
    LVL9: Power Attack
    LVL12:Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Additional notes:

-I went with Knight of the Chalice prestige.

- I'm OCD so for now I'm planning on pure L20 paladin. As I get more knowledgeable I'll consider multiclassing after a TR or something.

-I'm sticking with 2-handed fighting for now.

I'll be TRing her so I can get into the 32+ point builds. Opinions on her current build?

LVL1: Toughness
    LVL3: Weapon Focus: Slashing
    LVL6: Improved Two Handed Fighting
    LVL9: Power Attack
    LVL12:Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    A few thoughts on this feat list: Weapon Focus doesn't help, improved crit can be taken earlier, and you didn't include the free human feat, which I assume was THF.

The thing is that cleave + great cleave will do more for your dps than the THF line, especially at lower levels. I might recommend:

1: Toughness
    1H: Power Attack
    3: Cleave
    6: Great Cleave
    9: Improved Crit: Slashing
    12: THF
    15: ITHF
    18: GTHF

The two epic feats can be whatever. I don't love overwhelming critical for a pally, but it's a decent option. I'd probably go with two metamagics: empower healing spell, then either quicken or extend depending if you want to play EEs or not.

Your stats look fine, and I agree with EllisDee37 on the feat progression. Weapon Focus doesn't hurt, but there are better choices. Cleave and Great Cleave are lots of fun to use against groups of mobs. Given the fact that you want to TR at 20, then I would just continue along. For your two remaining feats I would go Cleave and Great Cleave. This will give you a chance to try them out, so you can decide if you want to take it early in your next life (that's what I would do, and am doing on my latest TR of my Paladin).

As for going Knight of the Chalice, I recommend to change to Hunter of the Dead for a few levels. You'll encounter more undead in the coming levels (depending on what you run) and when you get to Meridia, then switch over to Knight of the Chalice. You don't have to, but that will help you a bit, give you level drain immunity and 20% healing amp.

A few other suggestions on enhancements, if you're not using them already:
    1) Take and use divine might II. This will add +4 to damage on every hit.
    2) Take and spam divine sacrifice I, only go to a higher tier if you have spare points to burn
    3) Exhalted smite of course. I would go to tier II, more if you the points

Also, when you get to 14th level, make sure to take and constantly use the spell Zeal. This will add 10% doublestrike and is a good DPS boost.

Hope that helps and good luck

I appreciate the constructive feedback! Thank you.

I did indeed pick THF for human bonus. I think that I picked weapon focus: slashing as I was planning on getting Power Critical but it seems this isn't a good choice currently from what I can find.

I'm going to see if I can feat swap to Great Cleave otherwise I'll use it on TR as it seems to be the way to go.

I noticed I'm constantly being afflicted with negative levels so Hunter of the Dead might be a good choice now. I also do use all the paladin clickies like Divine might/sacrifice and looking forward to Zeal.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I think that I picked weapon focus: slashing as I was planning on getting Power Critical but it seems this isn't a good choice currently from what I can find.
    The good news is Power Crit is (slightly) better than it was; it used to be useless, now it counts as a +2 Seeker bonus. The bad news is it still isn't worth taking on a pally; maybe a Kensei who has a spare feat, but certainly not here. The worse news, though, is your feat-swapping options are limited: since you took WF:S at lvl 3, you can't swap it for ITHF or IC:Slash (BAB too low); and since you didn't take Power Atk until lvl 9, you can't take Cleave either.

If you can afford it, based on your feat order you could do this: swap IC:S for GTHF (lvl 12 feat); swap Power Atk for IC:S (lvl 9 feat); then finally swap WF:S for Power Atk (lvl 3 feat). [If someone can think of a better / shorter feat swap order, I'm all ears!] Otherwise you'd have to LR to redo your feats etc.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The good news is Power Crit is (slightly) better than it was; it used to be useless, now it counts as a +2 Seeker bonus. The bad news is it still isn't worth taking on a pally; maybe a Kensei who has a spare feat, but certainly not here. The worse news, though, is your feat-swapping options are limited: since you took WF:S at lvl 3, you can't swap it for ITHF or IC:Slash (BAB too low); and since you didn't take Power Atk until lvl 9, you can't take Cleave either.

If you can afford it, based on your feat order you could do this: swap IC:S for GTHF (lvl 12 feat); swap Power Atk for IC:S (lvl 9 feat); then finally swap WF:S for Power Atk (lvl 3 feat). [If someone can think of a better / shorter feat swap order, I'm all ears!] Otherwise you'd have to LR to redo your feats etc.
    There is no easy way to fix the feat order with just feat swaps. Honestly,it's not a big deal to just continue on as is and then TR, and change the feat order on the next life. If the plan was to not TR for a while, then I would look at doing a LR...It's so nice to have reincarnation as an option. I remember back in the day when the only way to change your build was to delete your character and reroll