Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Regearing an old level 20 cleric for epic normal/epic hard

I've got an old level 20 cleric that was created and played to 20 a couple years back. It's gear is woefully dated, but I've got ~400kpp between a couple characters. I'm wondering what I should look at buying/questing for.

Armor: Fullplate of the Defender
    Ring 1: Greater False Life
    Ring 2: Ring of Balance (the named one, not a +x skill item)
    Boots: Stider 30%
    Gloves: Dex 6
    Shield: +5 Heavy steel with Heavy Fort
    Belt: Con 6
    Cloak: Resistance 4
    Trinket: Voice of the Master
    Neck: Shiona's Pendant (Potency 48 Wizardry 6)
    Helm: Minos Legens (20 hp, Heavy Fort)
    Goggles: Tier 2 on it's way to Concordant Opp (Wisdom 6, other random stuff)
    Bracer: Chaosgarde

Weapons: +5 Icy Burst Pure Good, +3 Weakening Pure Good

I have in the vincinity of 300kpp to spend. What do I need to look at? So far, I know that I need:

A high devotion/implement 1hander
    A high ardor clicky
    A high impulse/implement 1hander
    A high impact clicky
    A high light/implement 1hander
    A high brilliance clicky

What else do I need/is easily replacable/upgradable?
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

I recently posted an overly-verbose cleric gear breakdown in my necro cleric thread (linked in signature) that covers the things you want to consider for caster cleric gear. Here's a copy and paste of the relevant info:

-----------------------------

For a final endgame gearset, your primary decision will be where you want to slot devotion. There are currently four main places to do this:

Shamanic Fetish (trinket, also comes with radiance)
    Gauntlets of Immortality (gloves, also comes with superior healing lore)
    Forgotten Light (heavy mace, also comes with radiance)
    Twilight, Element of Magic (quarterstaff)

I am overly drawn to forgotten light because it uses wisdom mod for to-hit and damage instead of strength. I find this quite helpful when something ends up slivered by blade barrier. This is also why I am such a fan of the Scepter of Healing for leveling, since it also uses wisdom for to-hit and damage. It's very rare that I actually swing my weapon, but I like to be able to.

The scepter of healing can be a pain to farm up; this is one of those areas where the wizard past life (as either a pale master or a warforged) makes life so much easier, since they don't find beholders particularly problematic.

After you decide on your devotion slot, the next big choice is armor. There are two main choices:

Cormyrian Green Dragonplate (-10% spell point cost to all spells)
    Flawless Blue Dragonplate (Major Arcane Lore)

For me, I chose blue mainly because it's easier. Also, trying to slot in lore for blade barrier -- kinetic lore doesn't work -- is mildly annoying if you go with green. I'll live with drinking an occasional pot I wouldn't have had to drink if I wore green.

Unlike cormyrian green, flawless blue has a very nice progression to give you armor for every caster level:

ML10: Elfcraft Plate (arcane lore, spell pen +2 that covers slay living)
    ML14: Blue Dragonplate (greater arcane lore, spell pen +2 that covers destruction)
    ML23: Restored Elfcraft Plate (greater arcane lore, greater spell pen IX)
    ML25: Flawless Blue Dragonplate, tier 3 (major arcane lore, greater spell pen IX)

The restored elfcraft plate can be had for a mere 10 restored elven relics, making it quite reasonable to farm up. The fact that it gives you +3 spell pen to all spells is incredible; by all rights it should only be spell pen IX, not greater.

Your last major choice is where to slot wisdom. If you went with blue armor, a blue dragon helm is the no-brainer choice for either +8 or +3. You don't need the epic elite version, but try to hold out for epic hard for the green slot. If given a choice, put +3 wisdom on your helmet because +8 is easier to slot elsewhere. You can find +8 or +3 wisdom in the following slots:

Head: +8 or +3 blue dragon helm; +8 lootgen
    Eyes: +8 or +3 intricate field optics; +8 lootgen
    Ring: +8 stormreaver prophecy, +8 lootgen
    Trinket: +8 or +3 planar focus of erudition or subterfuge

Planar focus is a natural choice if you decide to go with twilight, element of magic.

As a cleric your survivability is paramount. To that end you'll want:

Healing Amp (fit whatever you can; like amounts don't stack)
    Purple Dragon Gauntlets (30%)
    Lootgen convalescent bracers of superior parrying (10%, 20% or 30%)
    ToD ring (20%)
    Wall of Wood (20% or 30%)

Damage Reduction (not required but nice to have)
    Cloak of Night (DR 10/-)
    Ring of the Djinn (best DR/15 in game; only bypassed by devils)
    Ghost-Waking Cloak (very good DR/15; bypassed by devils and demons)
    Bramble-casters (weak)
    Epic Ring of the Mire (weak)

PRR (these don't stack with each other)
    Bulwark of the Storm's Fist (+12 or +15)
    Blue Augment (up to +14)

Ghostly (always 10%; stacks with concealment)
    Ghost-Waking Cloak
    Treads of Falling Shadow (boots)
    Epic Ring of the Stalker
    Ring of Shadows
    Cloak of Night

Concealment (stacks with ghostly)
    Ring of Shadows (25%)
    Greensteel smoke item (20%) (any accessory except ring or trinket)
    Dusk Heart (10%) (trinket)

A couple final points before getting to a list of endgame items by slot. Alchemical weapons (and shields) can be made with +2 alchemical wisdom. This is a wisdom bonus that can't be acquired in any other way, so I've earmarked my shield to be alchemical. It will also have a red slot for impulse +114. If I weren't so married to forgotten light I could go with an alchemical weapon and use bulwark of storm's fist as my shield for the "free" prr.

For your spell dc gear, you essentially cannot get major spell focus. Major necro focus goes on armor, but not on armor that's worth wearing for a cleric. Major enchantment/evocation focus goes on a quarterstaff, which would preclude the alchemical +2 wisdom. (If you have no desire for alchemical, then twilight becomes a solid option.) Because clerics use necromancy, evocation and enchantment, and major focus isn't really an option, I put a pretty high premium on greater spell focus mastery: +2 to all spell dcs. This can be found on cloaks and orbs. Since I very much prefer shields to orbs for a heavy-armor cleric, that leaves cloak as the only option. Therefore I farmed up an iron and adamantine dragon cloak on my wizard life and plan to upgrade to tablecloth for my final cloak. Tablecloth is extra good for this build because the +8 intelligence actually gives you +40 mana thanks to the 1 wizard level.

Head
    Helm of the Blue Dragon

Eyes
    Intricate Field Optics
    Greensteel
    Magewright's Spectacales

Neck
    Torc of Prince Raiyum de-II
    Symbol of the Shining Sun

Back
    Stormreaver's Tablecloth
    Adamantine Cloak of the Dragon
    Ghost-Waking Cloak
    Cloak of Night

Wrist
    Greensteel
    Convalescent of Superior Parrying (lootgen)

Hand
    Gauntlets of Immortality
    Purple Dragon Gauntlets

Waist
    Greensteel
    Belt of the Seven Ideals
    Rahkir's Sash (if you have rahkir's ring)

Feet
    Halcyon Boots
    Treads of Falling Shadow
    Cannith Boots of Propulsion

Ring
    Ring of the Djinn
    Ring of Shadows
    Epic Ring of the Stalker
    Ring of the Stormreaver Prophecy
    Any ToD ring w/20% healing amp (rahkir's is probably best choice, or morgana's or amara's)
    Signet of the Shining Sun

Trinket
    Shamanic Fetish
    Litany of the Dead
    Kardin's Eye
    Epic Dusk Heart

Weapon
    Forgotten Light
    Twilight, Element of Magic
    Skiver
    Alchemical w/+2 wisdom & red slot
    Lootgen Major Focus (very rare)

Shield/Orb
    Dalorent's Seal
    Bulwark of the Storm's Fist
    Alchemical w/+2 wisdom & red slot
    Wall of Wood
    Madstone Skull
    Lootgen orb w/greater spell focus mastery

Armor
    (Restored) Elfcraft Plate Armor
    (Flawless) Blue Dragonplate
    Cormyrian Green Dragonplate
    Leaves of the Forest
    Breastplate of the Shining Sun
    Terrorweb Chitin Breastplate

Community Member

Default The Creics of A. Set

Quote Originally Posted by CE2JRH123 View Post
    I've got an old level 20 cleric that was created and played to 20 a couple years back. It's gear is woefully dated, but I've got ~400kpp between a couple characters. I'm wondering what I should look at buying/questing for.

... snip ...

What else do I need/is easily replacable/upgradable?
    I'm a fan of the "Clerics of Amaunator" set for levelling from 20 to 24. It's not top end, but a quick lift to Wis +9, Cha +9, and effectively 10% more mana is difficult to beat. The only downside is that it takes up the Torc slot, but I don't see one on your list anyway. You can get the necky, breastplate and ring quickly, and it will really help while you hunt for the other, better, stuff on Ellis's list.

Collect the Commendations from King's Forest encounters, the Unquiet Graves quest, and The Druid's Deep chain end reward. The gear is no good to anyone but a divine, so ask your team-mates to pass them, and you'll be set up quick enough.

Brun.
    www.LegendsGuild.eu - on Thelanis
    Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Niwareka (Sneaky Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Hitty Healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizzy)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brunhildha View Post
    I'm a fan of the "Clerics of Amaunator" set for levelling from 20 to 24...
    I'm also a fan of the commendation sets.

This sets are easy to farm and they give a nice boost at lv 20.

You can add

- Helm and Gloves from Purple Dragon Knights set (+9 STR, +9 CON, +30% Healing Amp)
    - Goggles from Druids of the King's Forest set (True Seeing, Attack Bonus +3, Seeker +6)
    - Bracers from War Wizards set (Spell Penetration VIII, Elemental Spell Power/50 SP, Greater Elemental Energy/20 HP)
    - Belt with Heavy Fortification (I have a Green Steel belt for that)

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    For a final endgame gearset...
    Lots of good suggestions. Going to throw a few more in with yours though. Not so much disagreeing as picking some nits.

your primary decision will be where you want to slot devotion. There are currently four main places to do this:
    You mention further on an Alchemical with +2 Wisdom. That can include up to 3 spellpowers on it, too. An element (Fire, say) at 90, a divine-oriented at 90, and anything you want at 114. I have 90 Devotion on tier 1 of mine; I think for normal questing, 90 is fine. For heavy-duty raid-healing, I can swap in a 120 with Lore.

Shamanic Fetish (trinket, also comes with radiance)
    One thing with trinkets...I love my Litany. So I'd never use the Fetish, or those Planar Focus things.

Gauntlets of Immortality (gloves, also comes with superior healing lore)
    I view this as a good swap-in for raid healing, but not something I'd use a slot on for normal questing.

Forgotten Light (heavy mace, also comes with radiance)
    Twilight, Element of Magic (quarterstaff)
    Both decent, but don't really mesh with an Alchemical.

After you decide on your devotion slot, the next big choice is armor. There are two main choices:

Cormyrian Green Dragonplate (-10% spell point cost to all spells)
    Flawless Blue Dragonplate (Major Arcane Lore)
    No mention at all of Leaves of the Forest? +3 Wis, +3 Con, and Exceptional Fortification seems like a great combination to me. Not to say your options are bad; I plan to farm up a Flawless Blue as well.

You can find +8 or +3 wisdom in the following slots:
    +3 Wisdom (and also +8, for that matter) comes on the armor slot. (Before Epic GH, it was basically the ONLY spot for +3 Wisdom, since the other choice, trinket, conflicted with Litany.)

Concealment
    Blur is UMD-able; not using a gear slot is priceless. Also, tier 2 GS Displacement clickies, as many as you want.

For your spell dc gear, you essentially cannot get major spell focus.
    Pretty much. I mean, you can get lucky on a +3 1-hander, but only for 1 school. It would be pretty situational.

Because clerics use necromancy, evocation and enchantment...
    And Conjuration and Abjuration, for that matter. Cometfall is not to be ignored, no Spell Pen check! And Banishment has it's uses.

...and major focus isn't really an option, I put a pretty high premium on greater spell focus mastery: +2 to all spell dcs. This can be found on cloaks and orbs. Since I very much prefer shields to orbs for a heavy-armor cleric, that leaves cloak as the only option.
    Agreed on the value of Greater Spell Focus Mastery.

I prefer +5% XP over everything else, so for me cloak is taken leaving the Orb as my only short-term option. I'll switch to a cloak after I don't need XP any more.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    You mention further on an Alchemical with +2 Wisdom. That can include up to 3 spellpowers on it, too. An element (Fire, say) at 90, a divine-oriented at 90, and anything you want at 114. I have 90 Devotion on tier 1 of mine; I think for normal questing, 90 is fine. For heavy-duty raid-healing, I can swap in a 120 with Lore.
    I am of the general thought that most clerics want the full 120 devotion, and wouldn't want to settle for slotting 114 in an augment. (Unlike, say, impulse, which just begs to be slotted in a red.)

A guildie of mine uses a non-cleric weapon solely for the +10 enhancement bonus to get the "full" +30 implement along with 120 from his shamanic fetish. heh. Personally I think that's a little overboard, but I understand the reasoning.

Both decent, but don't really mesh with an Alchemical.
    In what way does forgotten light not mesh with alchemical? The plan for my cleric is to pair forgotten light with an alchemical shield w/+2 wisdom and 114 impulse in the red slot.

No mention at all of Leaves of the Forest? +3 Wis, +3 Con, and Exceptional Fortification seems like a great combination to me. Not to say your options are bad; I plan to farm up a Flawless Blue as well.
    Good call; I'll add that to the gear list.

2014 DDO Players Council

I am of the general thought that most clerics want the full 120 devotion, and wouldn't want to settle for slotting 114 in an augment. (Unlike, say, impulse, which just begs to be slotted in a red.)
    OK, I guess, though not a view I share. Personally, I'm much more concerned about Radiance and Impulse than Devotion. Like I said, I'm fine with 90 Devotion. And the difference between 114 and 120 is tiny no matter which spellpower we're talking about.

In what way does forgotten light not mesh with alchemical? The plan for my cleric is to pair forgotten light with an alchemical shield w/+2 wisdom and 114 impulse in the red slot.
    Well, which spellpower do you have at 90 on the Alchemical? For me that's Devotion. Doubling up on Devotion with Forgotten is a wasted option. I suppose 90 Lacerating on the Alchemical would combine with Forgotten, but, again, I'd rather have 90 Devotion and higher Impulse & Radiance than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Well, which spellpower do you have at 90 on the Alchemical? For me that's Devotion. Doubling up on Devotion with Forgotten is a wasted option. I suppose 90 Lacerating on the Alchemical would combine with Forgotten, but, again, I'd rather have 90 Devotion and higher Impulse & Radiance than the other way around.
    As I understand it, putting +2 wisdom and a red slot on an alchemical means you get NO spell power at all since you have to go martial all the way. If I can get tier 1 mystical, then nullification & combustion would be the clear choice.

As stated, the red slot gets impulse +114. Where are you slotting impulse +120 that the forgotten light/alchemical combo nets you less impulse?

For clarity, I'm advocating:

120 devotion
    120 radiance
    114 impulse

The alchemical is in the build solely for +2 wisdom with a red slot. Any spell power (if it's even possible to go mystical tier 1 and martial tiers 2 & 3) is incidental.

EDIT: Got it confirmed that you can mix and match martial and mystical tiers, so the shield I will make is:

Byeshk (Nullification 90)
    Mystical Fire (Combustion 90, Magma Surge Guard)
    Martial Water (+2 alchemical wisdom, Crushing Wave, Corrosive Salt)
    Martial <Any> (+6 enhancement bonus, red augment slot)

Community Member

Great advice in here, I'll read through it and digest it today. Thanks. I just realized I forgot to mention that I don't have a few of the higher level packs; The Druid's Deep (550pts), Reign of madness (450pts), Secrets of the Artificers (650pts) and High Road of Shadows (750pts), though I could buy one or two immediately with my saved TP.

And I saw that necro thread EllisDee. Very informative for me; thank you.
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

Just wanted to clarify that like others have said, I agree the best thing to do for the immediate future is to grab the cleric commendation set from eveningstar. You can convert commendations from one type to another to speed this process up.

Judging by your gear, it looks like you melee. If that is correct, here's what my lvl 24 melee cleric is current using and works really well in Epic.

Eye: Lens of Woodsmen
    Armor: Purple Dragon Armor
    Wrist: Bracers of the Glacier
    Ring1: Signet of the Shining Sun
    Boots: Treads of Falling Shadow
    Hands: Purple Dragon Gauntlets
    Ring2: Amara's Band (TOD set 20% amp)
    Waist: Amara's Belt
    Back: Vendor +7 resistance, +1 exceptional Dex (puts me on even number)
    Trinket: Shamanic Fetish, Feather Falling slotted
    Neck: Symbol of the Shining Sun
    Helm: Purple Dragon Helmet

Weapon(s): Elemental Greataxe of Fire, Cleaver Hewer of Suffering

Sets: Purple Dragon Knight, Amara's
    ED: Unyielding Sentinel

First life, 28 point build, pure cleric
    Unbuffed Stats
    str 32, dex 20, con 32, int 8, wis 26, cha 26
    Hp: 726
    Sp: 1905
    Turns: 23
    PPR: 53
    Fort: 140%
    DR: 10/epic

While the cleric set does give 10% Sp savings, I mainly use turn based healing for non-raid content so I stick with the added DPS and PPR of the PDK Set over the Cleric Set.

Community Member

Nope, no melee, though I appreciate the extra suggestions, as I'm sure I'll do a melee cleric in the future.

I'm mostly farmed commendations --- not getting much time on my days off these days, it seems. (just have the cleric BP and neck to go, got woodsmans boots, purple dragon helm and gloves, war wizards bracer and the cleric ring). Going to finish that up and try to get a weapon for finishing off slivered bladebarried mobs (cleric or purple dragon sword, whichever comes first, though probably the purple dragon sword).

Is it just me, or is the "race to kill the saboteaur before he poisons the supplies" cleric commendation event designed to not be completed by clerics? My "fast" DPS is non-existant, especially for something interested in standing still.

Oh, and is there any trick to getting the collar off that stupid purple dragon knight? I've killed a half dozen collared knights thus far. My concentration is only +31 (but will be higher when I get the cleric neck) and UMD is only +18

Oh, and one last one; is returning the villager to eveningstar impossible? I brought a villager to eveningstar and it just sat there, and brought another to the camp with the shrine in it and it just ignored me too. I'm super confused.

(I soloed both green dragons --- I'm allowed to be pleased about that, right?)

Is it just me, or is the "race to kill the saboteaur before he poisons the supplies" cleric commendation event designed to not be completed by clerics? My "fast" DPS is non-existant, especially for something interested in standing still.
    Is he red-named? If not I would think insta-killing him is the way to go, with slay living, destruction or implosion.

Oh, and is there any trick to getting the collar off that stupid purple dragon knight? I've killed a half dozen collared knights thus far. My concentration is only +31 (but will be higher when I get the cleric neck) and UMD is only +18
    Probably need around double that. I would guess mid-50s concentration and low-40s umd would give a solid chance at success.

Oh, and one last one; is returning the villager to eveningstar impossible?
    Yeah, it was bugged for me too last time I tried it. You bring him to Eveningstar and he just stands there and stares at you. Pretty annoying. It used to work.

Community Member

Saboteaur is rednamed. I'll have more questions once I look up all the items in question --- that's my next project :P

Community Member

I have a Cleric Generalist that can melee very well.

Depending on what you need the commendation gear is the easiest grind. Wizwar is a great substitute for greensteel sp. Cleric for healing and Purple Dragon Knight if you want to melee more if say there is lots of healing in the group or raid. WIZ1 or UMD gets you the easiest Greater Arcane lore in the game being the Wizwar staff.

The quests for commendations are::

Lost Thread - Wizwar (an easy quest once you know it)
    Unquiet Graves - Cleric (very fast quest and xp)
    Battle for Eveningstar - PDK
    Impossible Demands (very fast quest and easy to get to) - villager *** Don't grind ID. Save it for lvl cap to grind Epic Destinies with no xp loss. ***
    Monk Bracers for Saving Throws. Saving throws matter a lot in epic for Cleric. Villagers can just be traded for and drop in easy random in Kings Forest.

If you are a 2hd melee Cleric the Epic Antique Great Axe is the best all around weapon that can be gotten within a week of grinding. I slotted Devotion on it. Rubies are reasonable at the auction house. Not sure about the coming update enhancements but as of now with 78-90 devotion you can heal just fine in epic content.

The Holy Symbol of Lolth is a nice trinket slot.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Holy_Symbol_of_Lolth

Most of this stuff is lvl20-21 and easy enough to get in game.

Most of the old click items suck now like radiance and ardor. Only click I use are Divine Power items to melee now.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    The quests for commendations are::

Lost Thread - Wizwar (an easy quest once you know it)
    Unquiet Graves - Cleric (very fast quest and xp)
    Battle for Eveningstar - PDK
    Impossible Demands (very fast quest and easy to get to) - villager *** Don't grind ID. Save it for lvl cap to grind Epic Destinies with no xp loss. ***
    Monk Bracers for Saving Throws. Saving throws matter a lot in epic for Cleric. Villagers can just be traded for and drop in easy random in Kings Forest.
    Druid's Deep is the easiest way to farm commendations. Your choice of any type, stack of 3.

Community Member

Druid's Deep is the easiest way to farm commendations. Your choice of any type, stack of 3.
    Lost thread is about 15 minutes per run.

UG is 5 min/run

Battle for Eveningstar has the Drow smoke goggles and Drow Piwafwi cloak drop and the melees gave me all their PDK comms with that loot. I had some great runs there.

And you can usually get a good group as a divine that will give u all their commendations in the end chest selections. I averaged bout 4 coms per run in UG and LT. It is the fast way to get comms and you dont even need a full group to zerg these.

Druid deep on casual is good solo while u wait for others to join for LT and UG which are easy xp quests.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 06-18-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

Boulder Toss from Fury of the Wild, tier 1, maxed 3AP, does like 2k-3k.

Shiradi, tier 1 Daggers do like 1k a hit. These are all mana free and cooldown is 20 seconds. Enough on EN/H to either kill or half most things.

Community Member

I don't have access to the Druid's Deep pack --- I'm working 300ish hours a month this summer so trying to just get a few TP and wait for things to go on sale --- I only get to play a bit on days off, so I just farmed up stuff in King's forest. Almost done :P --- I'm mostly solo because I play only for an hour here or there. I've got Avenging Angel 1 and level 21 now; I'm wondering what the easiest Epic Normals (epic hards?) are for me to solo? I'll TR this cleric before I try to max ED's, so burning the EXP on quests in the wrong order isn't overwhelmingly concerning.

Also, I'd really like a large collectables bag. I'm at ~100 planar shards. Is there an easy place in the SubT to solo out the last 50 with respawning mobs and a shrine? The 100 I have are from sprints to Hound/VoD --- I guess I could try to pick up Hound/VoD raids on the day off, but they seem to be rarer than I remember them.

My trinket is rather occupied by Voice of the Master --- I'll have to buy threnal down the road to build a colourless aug.

2014 DDO Players Council

Also, I'd really like a large collectables bag. I'm at ~100 planar shards. Is there an easy place in the SubT to solo out the last 50 with respawning mobs and a shrine?
    Although mobs do respawn in the Subterrane, they do so quite slowly. You're better off just killing your way to a shrine, then recalling, resetting, and repeating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast