Community Member

Default Exalted Angel: Strikedown, Reborn in Light Or Divine Wrath

So I'm new to Epic Destinies. Based on advice from you guys last time, I chose Exalted Angel (I'm a cleric, not a whole lot of initial choices).

So if I'm understanding how this works, I'm going to need to spend my EDPs on a stack that will culminate in either Strikedown, Reborn in Light or Divine Wrath. Is this right?

If so, which do you guys think is the best. Are there any other "must-have"s I should know about.

Thanks in advance for your input. It's always been helpful.

--Priss

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GDMcCabe View Post
    So I'm new to Epic Destinies. Based on advice from you guys last time, I chose Exalted Angel (I'm a cleric, not a whole lot of initial choices).

So if I'm understanding how this works, I'm going to need to spend my EDPs on a stack that will culminate in either Strikedown, Reborn in Light or Divine Wrath. Is this right?

If so, which do you guys think is the best. Are there any other "must-have"s I should know about.

Thanks in advance for your input. It's always been helpful.

--Priss
    Reborn in the light is so bad, I wouldn't use it if it was free. The ability is so-so and the reuse timer is the only thing epic about it. Here is a way to put some numbers to how bad it is. The 25? minute timer means it is not active the vast majority of the time you play. In order to compete with things that you can use during that 25 minutes, it needs to truly be epic/amazing/game changing. It's... not bad while active. You can spend those two points on tons of things that are more useful in the big picture.

That leaves the other two. The choice there is driven more by play style. If you are a melee, then strikedown makes sense... although if you are melee... there are probably better destinies.

Leaving divine wrath. Fortunately this one is pretty good. Not bad damage and a good heal. If you are a FVS, the archon charges it with very little effort. There are really only three downsides. It competes with rebuke (or whatever the debuff is) for use of those charges, it no longer nukes palemasters and it requires a hard target unlike most other abilities and spells. Ok, so maybe there are only two downsides

FYI, the charges sometimes get stuck where they will only go down. Left to their own, this can possibly take a long long time. If you find yourself in that state, use rebuke to clear the stack so you can start over.

I'd vote for Divine Wrath - it's awesome I managed to heal a guild run of EE battle for eveningstar on a 12fvs/6fighter/2monk melee pretty much entirely due to this.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Reborn in the light is so bad, I wouldn't use it if it was free. The ability is so-so and the reuse timer is the only thing epic about it. Here is a way to put some numbers to how bad it is. The 25? minute timer means it is not active the vast majority of the time you play. In order to compete with things that you can use during that 25 minutes, it needs to truly be epic/amazing/game changing. It's... not bad while active. You can spend those two points on tons of things that are more useful in the big picture.

That leaves the other two. The choice there is driven more by play style. If you are a melee, then strikedown makes sense... although if you are melee... there are probably better destinies.

Leaving divine wrath. Fortunately this one is pretty good. Not bad damage and a good heal. If you are a FVS, the archon charges it with very little effort. There are really only three downsides. It competes with rebuke (or whatever the debuff is) for use of those charges, it no longer nukes palemasters and it requires a hard target unlike most other abilities and spells. Ok, so maybe there are only two downsides

FYI, the charges sometimes get stuck where they will only go down. Left to their own, this can possibly take a long long time. If you find yourself in that state, use rebuke to clear the stack so you can start over.
    There are three downsides to Divine Wrath. The slow casting time from not having quicken meta to effect it. This can cause mobs to either move out of it hit zone or dies before you finish casting. If the mob dies before the casting is finished the spell will fail to go off and will be put on cooldown. At least it doesn't expend the charges when it fails to go off.

I know you asked which one, but to be honest, I use none of them.

I max out Radiant Power, Endless Faith, and Healing Power on the first line. I also take Avenging Light. I max out Renewal (FANTASTIC heal over time). If you haven't fallen in love with Renewal yourself, play with it until you get used to how it works.

I put either one or two points in Purity of Essence and I then have exactly enough points to take 5 ranks of wisdom along the right hand side.

Once the caster cleric enhancements come out I'll probably drop Avenging Light and put those two points into the last wisdom slot. But that's only because caster clerics will be getting a collection of offensive SLAs.

Since you're a melee type you might those points into Charisma instead, and use the boosted Cha to power Divine Might.

Or, even better, run in Unyielding Sentinal. The first stance on the bottom (Vigor of Battle) is awesome-sauce for melee clerics (worth at least +150 hp), you can buy the paladin Smite Evil and Lay on Hands powers, and you can again put extra points into the right hand column. In this case, I'd suggest filling in Constitution. I can take +4 Constitution pretty easily and still have points for some interesting powers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoiii View Post
    There are three downsides to Divine Wrath. The slow casting time from not having quicken meta to effect it. This can cause mobs to either move out of it hit zone or dies before you finish casting. If the mob dies before the casting is finished the spell will fail to go off and will be put on cooldown. At least it doesn't expend the charges when it fails to go off.
    The slow cast time is annoying. For a FVS, the cooldown is as bad as losing the charges. In 15 seconds, archon generates 7 to 8 charges. It doesn't take much to chain cast divine wrath.

The most annoying thing to me is that it won't cast on a "soft target". You have to hit tab to get a manual target. Why?

That said, if you aren't a melee then it is the best of the tier 5 options available in exalted angel.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Leaving divine wrath. Fortunately this one is pretty good. Not bad damage and a good heal. If you are a FVS, the archon charges it with very little effort. There are really only three downsides. It competes with rebuke (or whatever the debuff is) for use of those charges
    Against trash, the competition with Rebuke isn't a big deal, because there's seldom much point in using Rebuke on trash. In, say, raid boss fights, due to the way Divine Wrath works, there's hardly any competition to worry about.

Divine Wrath itself is considered (a) light spell(s), including the healing component on each of your teammates.

So using it on a boss that has a bunch of melees standing nearby beating on him usually instantly gives you back a big stack of charges immediately after use. So you can follow up the Divine Wrath with an immediate Rebuke without having to re-charge first, and still have basically the whole Divine Wrath cool-down to get your stack back up to 10 for the next Divine Wrath. This is very easy with a FvS archon, and, while harder, still shouldn't be too hard on a Cleric, I would think.

I usually start by stacking Rebuke to 5 as quickly as possible, after which I have no trouble keeping Divine Wrath on cooldown, and Rebuke stacked at 5.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Against trash, the competition with Rebuke isn't a big deal, because there's seldom much point in using Rebuke on trash. In, say, raid boss fights, due to the way Divine Wrath works, there's hardly any competition to worry about.

Divine Wrath itself is considered (a) light spell(s), including the healing component on each of your teammates.

So using it on a boss that has a bunch of melees standing nearby beating on him usually instantly gives you back a big stack of charges immediately after use. So you can follow up the Divine Wrath with an immediate Rebuke without having to re-charge first, and still have basically the whole Divine Wrath cool-down to get your stack back up to 10 for the next Divine Wrath. This is very easy with a FvS archon, and, while harder, still shouldn't be too hard on a Cleric, I would think.

I usually start by stacking Rebuke to 5 as quickly as possible, after which I have no trouble keeping Divine Wrath on cooldown, and Rebuke stacked at 5.
    +1. I don't get taught stuff about EA very often, but for this post... school was in session! Great info.