Community Member

Default I Could Use Some Help With Savants!

Hey all! So this is my first time playing a caster in DDO! I rolled a sorcerer and am following a couple outlines on the forums so I don't screw up too badly! However as I progress further and further along (am almost level 9 at the time of posting) I need to decide about savants. I haven't seen any helpful threads specifically about the different savants so here I am! Any information as to the pros/cons of each savant, which has good DC, which has good single target, which has good CC, etc. Thanks in advance guys.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
    Hey all! So this is my first time playing a caster in DDO! I rolled a sorcerer and am following a couple outlines on the forums so I don't screw up too badly! However as I progress further and further along (am almost level 9 at the time of posting) I need to decide about savants. I haven't seen any helpful threads specifically about the different savants so here I am! Any information as to the pros/cons of each savant, which has good DC, which has good single target, which has good CC, etc. Thanks in advance guys.
    Alright let's cover the basics:

Fire: Has the strongest mid game persistent AoE (wall of fire), a decent low level ray (scorching ray), several low level aoe's and single very strong high level AoE nuke (delayed blast fireball), but has immunity issues at high levels wich is why it's not very popular.

Pros: doesn't NEED heighten as the most used spells are either no save or high level.
    Cons: Devil's don't really care how much fire you throw at them.
    Main focus: Evocation

Ice: Has 2 fairly strong low level rays, both of wich also comes as SLA's, a decent persistent AoE (icestorm) a decent mid level AoE nuke and a strong high level AoE nuke, the strongest single target ray (polar ray) and a DoT (biting cold)

Pros: Lots of long range attacks, high single target damage potential.
    Cons: fairly weak low level AoE's. Heighten is kind of a must if you want any decent damage out of your SLA's.
    Main focus: Evocation mostly, conjuration for a single spell.

Air: Sorry, never bothered, can't help you here.

Earth: Highest damage per second "persistent AoE" through acid rain, it does a lot more damage than ice storm and firewall, but has a very short duration. 2 DoT's that do not stack up like eledars/niacs (acid arrow and black dragon bolt).

Pros: All(?) acid spells are conjuration, just like web wich allows to you to focus on only one school to achieve damage and crowd control. Very few immunities (The spiders in sleeping dust are the only ones that come to mind, and you kinda have to avoid killing them anyways), works okay with lower DC's.
    Cons: Doesn't have the OOMPH as the other elements at higher levels.
    Main focus: Conjuration

TheMash has a good summary. I usually run fire with acid secondary until 18th, then respec to water/air. I had a life as Earth and loved it too.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

Fire is by far THE strongest savant up until you hit the Vale of Twilight (and you want to aim for this around 18th imho as Dante stated).

Having run a few Sorcs i found the main difference between Fire and Acid was that if you are soloing Acid is fine. Your only real Area of Effect spell, Acid Rain, is great if you can control the MOBs aggro and make them stand in the area but a) it is a very small area, b) you need to be able to "turtle up" and stand in the spell to make them do so also and c) its duration is very short. This really means being able to self heal (repair) so if you're a WF (is there any other race for a Sorc??) it's fine but if not, can be tricky.

Wall of Fire on the other hand has a much larger area and you can cast it and then jump along its length, dragging the MOBs through it (you can also turtle up in it just fine too). If going a Fire Savant you want Fire primary and Earth secondary.

Once hitting 18th you'll want to respec to Water primary and (usually) Air secondary although some go Earth. Polar Ray is amazing. Niacs and Eladars (the reason why many also pick Air as secondary) are must haves. Black Dragon Bolt is mostly left wanting. Ice Storm is ok but, compared to WoF and Acid Rain, is nothing amazing.

Many people like Air though for its high damage potential (forked Lightning Bolts for example), immunity to knock down and wind dance but more MOBs have resistances and immunities to lightning than fire/acid in the low/mid levels plus your AoE is much better with Fire (its harder to hit multiple MOBs with Lightning Bolt than Fireball, Acid Blast and Delayed Blast FB) giving you more bang for your SP. At higher levels though you see lots of Air Savants around, their secondary being Water (usually) or vice versa.

Having said this though then end game has changed a lot with the advent of MotU and a Fire Savant could be extremely viable in the Forgotten Relams.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
    Fire: Evocation: The best savant until level 18, one of the strongest DPS savant until level 18 because of monsters resistance/immunity to fire although this may change with EE GH.

Water: Evocation: One of the best DPS spell in game that doesn't have save is polar ray (cold damage), also, icy prison is good for getting yourself out of trouble (locking down mob). Also have niac biting cold (decent dot), the combination of ice storm + solid fog will also slow mobs down to a crawl.

Air: Evocation: One of the best end-game savant if you have enough DC in evocation. With enough gears, your lightning bolt sla could hit around 6k+ with a single cast (doesn't count weakness). Wind dance (similar to monk abundant step and fvs wings) could get you out of trouble from melee mobs quickly. Also, have a decent dot (electric surge). And immunity to knockdown meant you could spam grease on your party. :P

Acid: Conjuration: Great at persistence DPS-DOT (acid rain, acid arrow, black dragon bolt, etc.) but lack of instant DPS spells. Earth grab is also great because of low sp cost and low cd (cool down).