Community Member

Default Multiple Toons or Focus on One?

Is it better to have multiple toons playing many different styles which spreads your limited play time out thinly, growing them really slowly, or just focus on one or two toons and then play a different style with them as they reach TR?

This feels like a decision between multiclassing or pure classing...

What you guys think?
    With Greater Powers Comes The Need For a Better Mouse ... Naga!

Lets start with the basics:

With 1 or 2 toons, you can have more time for each one, and more experience playing those classes and playstyle. If most of you game time is spend on 1 or 2 toons only, you will be a more dedicated type of player.

With a alt-collection, lets say you have plenty of advantages, such as:

- Favor points. For each toon you start on every server, you get favor points by doing quests and completing the first 50 and 100 favor points on each game world. Favor points are per-account, so they all contribute to yourself. If you have 4 toons and do every quest with all of them, you get 4 times more favor. And 100 favor points = 25 TP; 25 x 4 = 100 TP. So you can easily get adventure packs and other DDO Store items just by playing and playing and playing and...

- Bank space. What you can't carry or store, send to your other toons. If you have shared bank, even better. Aw damm, dropped that Silver Slinger on your Barbarian? No prob, pass it along to your arti.

- If you have a wide range of character levels, you never miss an LFM. Logged on your level 16, but hey, just saw that lvl 5 quest you wanted on elite? Great, log on to your other lvl 5 toon. Don't forget to send a tell to party leader first, if you want him to save your spot.

- Oh boy, leveling a new low level toon? Great, find some average loot on your mid-level toon and pass the stuff to your baby character. Low level toons don't need ubber stuff but if you can get them nice stuff with the help of your other characters, the better. And a plus, if they are 28 point builds. Good gear all the time.

So I think I get you the main ideas here, may add some if I remember more.
    Last edited by msdesign; 05-16-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Well, until you reach lvl 10, have only 1 toon to learn the specifics of your class

But after lvl 10, duration of quest can become a problem (especially if you don't know yet the quest), so if you have a short game session, you may have not enough time to complete one quest
    So start a second toon to do short (low level) quests when you have short gaming time

It depends on what you want out of the game? If you are interested in the end game, then I would concentrate on a couple of toons to get them up there. If you are interested in trying out the various classes and enjoy the quests for lvls 10 and under, then yeah, get a bunch of alts and see which you like.

If you do have a lot of alts (and I do!) you'll probably find anyway that around lvls 8-10 you'll stop playing most of your alts and shelf them as bank toons for reworking later on and instead focus on the toon that you most enjoy to take through the higher levels.

Community Member

Is it better to buy a wide variety of food or a lot of the same stuff, maybe buying a lot of something different next time you stock up. That's the way I see it. Concentrating on just one or two characters just limits your play options every time you play.

I play on Orien. I notice that there are lots of groups in very specific level bands. And, there seem to be very few groups outside of those level bands.

This means that I often go several days sitting at a particular level (or two, or three) before I get to a level where groups are common.

The result is that I end up with several characters stuck at roughly the same level and, when it comes time to play, I often find myself frustrated because I've sort of forgotten how character A plays or what I intended to do with character B.

So, what I've done is narrowed in on one character and put the majority of my effort there.

My long term goal is to build a stable of 36-point characters that mimic old paper and pencil characters. And, I have one character parked at L25 that I won't TR for a long time (using him to loot/gear run, explore new content, etc.).

IMO multiple characters are not a bad thing. But, my current play is to focus on one.

That is what works best for me.

I have to say that trying a few will help you decide which you will be favoring.

Levelling a few to 6+ will give you a taste of what they offer gameplay wise.

I made 5 my first week and then settled into a few that I regularly play.

But that is kind of how I prefer it, I have 6 characters on Thelanis, but really concentrate on 3 of them, my Ranger, Rogue, Wizard, and Artificer...wait...that's four...

Nevermind just ignore me I am a bit daft today I think.
    Generic SIgnature #42

Thelanis - Guild: Solo Artists - Characters: Several

Quote Originally Posted by Pr8Dator View Post
    Is it better to have multiple toons playing many different styles which spreads your limited play time out thinly, growing them really slowly, or just focus on one or two toons and then play a different style with them as they reach TR?
    I combined the concepts into one main character that is currently aiming for completionist and is only three past lives away. It allows me to enjoy multiple playstyles all while still only having to grow one character.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    I combined the concepts into one main character that is currently aiming for completionist and is only three past lives away. It allows me to enjoy multiple playstyles all while still only having to grow one character.
    So you have a single multiclass character?
    With Greater Powers Comes The Need For a Better Mouse ... Naga!

Community Member

So you have a single multiclass character?
    Completionist is a character that has at least 1 past life in every character class.

Multiclass is a character that has 2 or 3 character classes in its current life.

When a character reincarnates they receive a past life feat based on whatever character class is highest in their present incarnation. If two classes are equally high then the one introduced first (or, if both were introduced at the same time, then the one that is first alphabetically) becomes the past life.

What you guys think?
    Sometimes, like me, you just admit you have alt'itis and move on

If you have the "bug" you will know it

I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Sometimes, like me, you just admit you have alt'itis and move on

If you have the "bug" you will know it
    You alt'o-holic

How many alts does one needs to have to be considered such? :P
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

The answer should always be "whatever you find most fun," of course. Some of us are severe altaholics; others prefer to spend their time honing a single build to perfection. Don't let others dictate how you spend your leisure time.

But if you're looking for in-game justifications for sticking with just one character:
    • Limited character slots, esp. if F2P / Premium
    • Farming for Favor rewards, particularly the server unlocks (drow, 32-pt builds, etc.)
    • If you need to make some plat, the ingredients etc. you can farm at higher levels are worth a lot more on the Auction House than the low-level stuff
    • The best gear is usually BtC (bound to character) and drops from raids
    The Once and Future unbongwah

I think that it's a good idea to have one main character, on which your primary playing activity is focused, either in terms of leveling her/him to cap, getting all the epic destiny abilites you want, leveling for past lifes, or doing raids to accumulate BtC gear of interest.

However, in order to decide which kind of playstyle you like (melee, caster, healer, ranged or things inbetween) it's not a bad idea to have more than one character (unless they are capped). It's helpful if you try to keep the different toons at different levels, so that you are not stuck at one level.
    Last edited by karl_k0ch; 05-17-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

I think both have their place in the game depending on what the player wants to do, the wonderful thing about DDO is the sheer amount of options we have on how to play the content etc etc. I currently have 7 toons on Cannith but only play 2 of them since the others have turned in to mules (more or less), I have one toon at cap for loot runs and farming and the other which is my completionist project.

Stoner81.