Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Reborn in Light Cool-down

First off, I would like to apologize if this topic has already been started with the intent of a similar discussion; the search feature is absolutely broken - or I have lost all wits and should just quit now - so I was unable to find out whether or not this has been discussed. If so, a link would be appreciated so we can expand upon a topic already broached by another.

I have spent some deal of time looking through all the Epic Destinies and the different abilities offered by each one, and a larger deal of time looking at each of their respective 'capstone enhancements' so to speak - in other words, their tier 5 main active abilities - which for the purpose of this post I shall call EDC (for Epic Destiny Capstones). I couldn't help but notice the very extensive cool-down that is tied with the Exalted Angel EDC which happens to be my main destiny as I play a healing and light damage based Favored Soul character. The cool-down seems quite disproportional when compared to the other EDCs. Each of the others require a 5 minute cool-down, while the Primal Destiny EDC only requires a 5 second cool-down; so why should the Exalted Angel EDC require 30 minutes to be reused.

The first logical conclusion on the greatly increased cool-down would be that this EDC offers a much higher level of power and thus must be limited due to balance issues. At a first glance of the description, this seem *almost* fair, as it leads one to believe that upon using you are fully healed, gain +100 to light and healing power, immunity to light damage, 50% incorporeality, spell duration is reduced to 1/5th normal, and spells cost 50% less to cast.

This seems fairly powerful, but really no more so than the Primal Avatar which gives massive amount of bonus damage per attack; I've seen heal-bots use this EDC and hit 500+ easily with a trash weapon. However under closer examination, the underlined portion of the effects above is only gained if used when dead, instantly excluding nearly any character from gaining these effects - who wants to die just to get a few bonuses?

So thus you only get a +100 to light and healing power, immunity to light damage, 50% incorporeality: worthy effects for the most part, but not deserving of a 30 minute cool-down when compared to the Primal Avatar EDC which gives a massive damage boost, and the Fury of the Wild EDC which also gives massive boosts, while they have cool-downs of 5 seconds and 5 minutes respectively. And for those who believe the lengthened cool-down comes from the defensive part of the EDC, then please take the time to view the EDC for the Draconic Incarnation line: 5 minute cool-down for a 30 second DR 100/epic, resistance 200 to elemental damage, and a swift hit point regeneration effect. Yes, this is only for 30 seconds, but only 20 enemies must be damaged by a Evocation of Conjuration spell in order to use. 1 cast of Cone of Cold can easily fulfill the requirements.

The 30 minute cool-down of the Exalted Angel EDC is way overblown. 30 minutes is rarely enough time to use it more than once in the average quest, while when raiding you may only get the chance to use to once or twice. I would like to hear others opinion's on the matter and if they think it should be reduced and why. As for myself, I believe this cool-down completely destroys the functionality of this EDC and should be reduced to the normal cool-down of 5 minutes, giving back its worth of two Epic Destiny points. As is, it is a complete waste of two points and very few casters use this ability.

Default It's useless

Not only is the cool-down 30 minutes, it also carries over to the next quest. So say you used it but still died. You want to release and reset the quest, but you can't reset the timer. It really is useless.

The true 'capstone' ability in EA really is the autogrant Tier5 ability: Ascendance. 2 min. buff of 800 light damage on roll of 20 is decent. The 800 on crit vs undead (ie: Truthful one) is amazing.

With the right build (TWF) and the right weapon (High Crit), your damage vs undead is on par with Fury. (800+ damage every other hit, for 2 min.).

Quote Originally Posted by guardianx2009 View Post
    Not only is the cool-down 30 minutes, it also carries over to the next quest.
    Nods very sadly...

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    However under closer examination, the underlined portion of the effects above is only gained if used when dead, instantly excluding nearly any character from gaining these effects - who wants to die just to get a few bonuses?
    Nods extremely sadly after looking at DDO Wiki in detail...

Sigh...why O why???

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by guardianx2009 View Post
    The true 'capstone' ability in EA really is the autogrant Tier5 ability: Ascendance. 2 min. buff of 800 light damage on roll of 20 is decent. The 800 on crit vs undead (ie: Truthful one) is amazing.

With the right build (TWF) and the right weapon (High Crit), your damage vs undead is on par with Fury. (800+ damage every other hit, for 2 min.).
    I do agree with this point. Ascendance is a great ability for melee style favored souls. However, I like many others play a spell damage build - if I wanted to boost my melee as a Favored Soul I would simply switch to the Fury of the Wild Epic Destiny.

Yes, Ascendance does give a small chance to gain spell points upon casting a successful light spell, but this still doesn't help out in the spell damage category.

With regards to other EDC abilities, the Exalted Angel EDC simply can't compare. Other Epic Destinies offer their respective class - and other classes as well - large boosts to their respective abilities; simultaneously, they have a short cool-downs of only 5 minutes allowing them to be used multiple times per quest. Without taking the 30 minute carrying cool-down into consideration, this EDC is fair and balanced. Factoring in this extremely long cool-down, and you have now created a completely worthless EDC when points can better be spent someplace else.

I simply can't understand why Turbine has decided to make this EDC cool-down disproportionately longer than the others. A word from a representative in the future as to why this cool-down is 30 minutes, or simply a silent revision within the next few updates to the normal standing cool-down of 5 minutes would be greatly appreciated.

I do agree with this point. Ascendance is a great ability for melee style favored souls. However, I like many others play a spell damage build - if I wanted to boost my melee as a Favored Soul I would simply switch to the Fury of the Wild Epic Destiny.
    Why do you think that only melee souls can benefit? Fact is clerics are versatile, top tier can be built to heal, cast, melee. Ascendance is an autogrant ability, you already have it, I am just pointing out it's potential

As a WIS-based cleric, you can still do massive damage with Ascendance:

Yes, Ascendance does give a small chance to gain spell points upon casting a successful light spell, but this still doesn't help out in the spell damage category.

With regards to other EDC abilities, the Exalted Angel EDC simply can't compare. Other Epic Destinies offer their respective class - and other classes as well - large boosts to their respective abilities; simultaneously, they have a short cool-downs of only 5 minutes allowing them to be used multiple times per quest. Without taking the 30 minute carrying cool-down into consideration, this EDC is fair and balanced. Factoring in this extremely long cool-down, and you have now created a completely worthless EDC when points can better be spent someplace else.

I simply can't understand why Turbine has decided to make this EDC cool-down disproportionately longer than the others. A word from a representative in the future as to why this cool-down is 30 minutes, or simply a silent revision within the next few updates to the normal standing cool-down of 5 minutes would be greatly appreciated.
    Forget reborn in light, it is ****. If all you are doing is cast spells, then perhaps Divine Wrath is better suited as your capstone.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Epic Moment Transformation: You are healed to full health and activate Ascendance, Angelic Presence, and Astral Vibrance--even if they are currently on cooldown. For 2 minutes (or until you leave Angelic form), you are immune to light damage, gain 50% Incorporeality, and gain +100 Light and Healing Power. This ability can be used while dead, bringing you back at full health and in addition to the above benefits, the cooldowns of Light and Positive Energy spells are reduced to 1/5th normal, all spells cost 50% spell points. All of your physical attacks gain On Hit 100 Light damage and On Critical destroy evil undead or evil outsiders under 1000 hit points.
    Unfortunately the most powerful benefits require being splatted, but the other benefits you get from casting it while still alive are still pretty decent, just not worth a 30min cooldown unfortunately - 15 maybe considering its a 2min duration ability, vs. the 20-30sec ones or conditional durations others get.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Default Dev Feedback? 30 Minute Cooldown Excessive for EA EDC

I have to agree that the 30 minute cooldown seems excessively long. I took EA as my Epic Destiny for my level 21 Cleric (I use her for healing + melee + buffs usually) and I can't see spending points on an EDC that has that long of a cooldown, especially when none of the others are that long.

Hoping a Dev will respond about this...or, as Clemeit pointed out, at least "silently" modify the cool down time to 5 minutes. Perhaps we need to post this elsewhere to get it noticed by a Dev?
    Cannith:
    Isaela-Fighter 16 (TR)||Aeylya-Cleric 21||Draeya-Rogue 5||Sollest-Ranger 9||Fiarra-Artificer 9||Rinwenn-Ranger 7||Moliya-Druid 3||Onaya-Druid 7||Anniela-Favored Soul 7||Caelene-Bard 7||Kitartia-BladeForged 15

I agree, 30 minutes makes this a useless cap. Yet again, the cleric is getting the short end, which is why they are rare in the game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by I_Bob View Post
    I agree, 30 minutes makes this a useless cap. Yet again, the cleric is getting the short end, which is why they are rare in the game.
    I don't get the cleric rage... the capstone is a steaming pile of poo for favored souls as well.

Community Member

Default You don't get it?

This ability is far from useless.... you just seemed to gloss over the important bit:

You can use this ability while DEAD, and it raises you to full health with massive buffs.

Show me another ED ability that lets you self-rez?

If the duration were shortened to 5 mins, it would pretty much make you immortal.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    This ability is far from useless.... you just seemed to gloss over the important bit:

You can use this ability while DEAD, and it raises you to full health with massive buffs.

If the duration were shortened to 5 mins, it would pretty much make you immortal.
    They could shorten the duration to 30 seconds and I still wouldn't pay points to get it.

a.) My plan is not to die.
    b.) The massive buffs are not more valuable than the buffs I lost (by dying).
    c.) There are other places I can spend those points that help my toon ALL the time, not have a chance of being used once every 30 minutes. Misapplying some math to not solve the problem: I can use every other ability at least once a minute... is Reborn in the light more than 30X as powerful as anything else? I can divine wrath 4 times a minute. Is Reborn in the light 120 times as powerful as a divine wrath? Lets take something in the middle and say Reborn in the light did about 60k damage (after spell power) and had a 30 minute reuse timer. At that point, I would consider it. It is a long... long way off.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    Why waste Epic Destiny points on something that, if you really want it, you can get from Heroic abilities? There's a spell that does that, without a 30-minute cool-down, and an enhancement that's even better, because instead of rezzing you, it prevents you from dying in the first place.

A crappy almost-never-available self-rez is nowhere close to competitive with Divine Wrath, or, for Wis builds, +1 Wis.

Community Member

Thumbs down

I very much have to agree that the absurdly long 30min cooldown makes this epic moment pretty much useless even more so as the cooldown cannot be reset or shortened by any means.

Reaching that point in my Epic Destiny advancement when I first used this ability was the single most disappointing moment in 4 years of playing DDO. Scratch the res part and knock down the cooldown timer to five minutes and it is more in line with other Epic moments IMHO.

I do agree that its cool-down is a bit too much for a 2 minute buff, but I think we can agree its should be at least 5 - 15 minute cool-down instead of 30.

although technically speaking, it is 100% IMPOSSIBLE to self-raise without buying spirit cakes, standing near a raise shrine, Death Pact, or Reborn in Light.

Sure, you can buy a butt-load of spirit cakes (if your that crazy) but once you enter a raid, they come useless.

Sure, you can try to fight a tough mob near shrines, but once they get close to a shrine, good luck fighting them off when they slaughtered you for the 200th time.

Sure, you can cast Death Pact and get a once per rest self-raise attempt whenever you die, but that doesn't return the HP you lost upon death, nor buffs, it also debuffs your CON score.

Sure, Reborn in Light is useless because of its long cool-down, but at least it heals you and gives buffs when you self-raise unlike Death Pact which doesn't do such things.

Although, you CAN have Death Pact and Reborn in Light at the same time, giving you at least two self-raise attempts, this is without cakes and in raids.

To me, I view this as some kind of thing to get revenge on something that killed you, here is a example (sorry for the craziness)

Divine Caster: "Demon! I will send you to your grave!"
    Demon: "Pathetic mortal, you shall not survive this, I will tare you apart!"
    Demon kills the divine caster
    Divine Caster: "What did you do?"
    Demon: "I killed you, foolish mortal."
    Divine Caster: "You killed me? You killed me?! YOU KILLED ME?!?!?!?!? I WILL HAVE MY VENGEANCE!"
    Casts Reborn in Light on himself
    Super Divine Caster: "I WILL DESTROY YOU!"
    Sends the demon to his grave by a beam of light.
    Last edited by bennyson; 01-08-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Community Member

Demon: "Pathetic mortal, you shall not survive this, I will tare you apart!"
    Demon kills the divine caster
    Blitzing melee kill demon.
    Fury manyshot kills demon faster.
    Shiradi force pew pew kills demon with a 7% chance of forum nerd rage per cast.

Lets be blunt... The divine epic moments are like going to a superhero party and admitting that your power is water-breathing... you end up wearing a fishbowl.

With the making of the third ED and the possibility of them re-vamping the other two ED I'm going to wait to make judgments.

I do agree that the Born Into Light Epic Moment does have a very long cooldown, no other ED has one of this length tied to such a short duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    With the making of the third ED
    Their making the third divine destiny? I saw nothing on the forums about them making it!

Quote Originally Posted by bennyson View Post
    Their making the third divine destiny? I saw nothing on the forums about them making it!
    Some information here:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-Epic-Destiny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast