Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Pale Trapper or Tempest Trapmonkey for mostly solo play

Semi-new player here, I played about 6 months ago before RL stuff came up. I played a Paladin then, and having to recast DM so frequently just wasn't fun.

I strongly prefer to play solo, particularly because I enjoy dungeon crawling and taking my time. I'm also limited to 28 point builds. With that in mind, I've been looking at the Pale Trapper and Tempest Trapmonkey builds.

Here are my intended goals:

1) Ability to complete most reasonably soloable dungeons alone (without a hireling) on at least hard difficulty at level without the use of hand me down items.
    2) Deal with traps, locked doors, and chests.
    3) Be reasonably self-sufficient.
    4) Ability to reasonably use stealth as a solution to various problems.
    5) Emphasize methodical and deliberate play rather than brute force.
    6) Minimal tedium (short duration buffs, etc).

I'm not particularly interested in endgame viability. Just a fun build that tromps through dungeons.

I'm still having trouble deciding between the two builds. I feel like the Pale Trapper is ultimately far more versatile due to being, well... a wizard, but I've always preferred melee classes. As such, I'm leaning towards the Tempest Trapmonkey, but I'm kind of worried that it would be far too squishy to reasonably solo dungeons past level 10 or so.

On another note, I've always preferred gishes (fighter/mage types), but they don't seem particularly worthwhile in DDO (alas, no Abjurant Champion PrC).

Heroic hard, true solo (no hire)?

Both can own pretty easily, but I'd recommend tempest trapmonkey for a couple reasons. One, you prefer melee. heh. But also two, I wrote the pale trapper build with the intention that until level 14 you either a) bring a hire for solo or b) drink cure serious pots for grouping. (Or let a divine heal you.) Drinking cure serious pots while true soloing gets pretty expensive pretty quickly.

Besides which, the tempest trapmonkey will likely never run out of mana; all his buffs last 1 minute per level, so all his mana can be spent on healing. (Plus he can pot/wand/scroll heal in a pinch.) Whereas if a wizard runs out of mana you're going to have issues progressing in a dungeon.

My tips for your tempest trapmonkey: max your concentration, taking points from open lock to do so. Take all 3 human recovery and all 4 ranger devotion enhancements, and all 7 of those should be taken as early as you possibly can.

EDIT:

The pale trapper linked can't self-heal until level 14, but then immediately gets full healing.
    The tempest trapmonkey doesn't get cure light wounds until level 10 (!) then cure moderate at level 13, so actually they're both in largely the same boat.

EDIT 2:

I have one of each, both of whom I mostly soloed to level 20, tred into the same build, then mostly soloed to 25. The tempest isn't too squishy to solo hards (or elites if you go slow) past 10, but I generally bring hires until I can heal with spells. Mainly because they're so much cheaper than pots/wands/scrolls.

Quote Originally Posted by NobbyHegel View Post
    Here are my intended goals:

1) Ability to complete most reasonably soloable dungeons alone (without a hireling) on at least hard difficulty at level without the use of hand me down items.
    Paletrapper.

Without a mercenary solo'ing with a Tempest Trapmonkey becomes much harder at level once you get 10+. You become more of an AA than a melee. Mobs hit harder and have more HP's around this time and your talking hard difficulty so NPC's (Specifically spell casters) and Traps are much more dangerous. So without "hand me down" items your going to struggle. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just that you will be pew-pew'ing with your bow a lot and going through tons of arrows.

2) Deal with traps, locked doors, and chests.
    Both builds can do this

3) Be reasonably self-sufficient.
    Both are self-sufficient but the edge goes to Paletrapper. Weapons and the variety you must carry as you level becomes an inventory issue for Tempest Trapmonkey as you level. The biggest challenge for Paletrappers is managing your SP pool.

4) Ability to reasonably use stealth as a solution to various problems.
    Never had any skill points left over to raise stealth on my Tempest Trapmonkey but I am sure it can be done if planned for. Same with my Paletrapper, all of my skill points so far are tied up in rogue skills because it is a CC skill. Not saying it isn't possible to work in Sneak. Hide would be covered by your Invis spell.

5) Emphasize methodical and deliberate play rather than brute force.
    Tempest Trapmonkey will require you to Pew-pew things to weaken them as you level otherwise you will spend too many resources healing. Paletrapper is Web/CC/Damage spell in some varying order. So technically Paletrapper doesn't use brute force like Tempest Trapmonkey but I wouldn't call it a "methodical" or "deliberate" play style either.

6) Minimal tedium (short duration buffs, etc).
    Well, I use extend for Rage, Haste, and Death Aura and that is it. Usually enough to get me to another shrine. Sometimes I have to refresh but no big deal. I don't need Extend or refreshing of buffs on my Ranger unless they get dispelled or wear off (elemental damage absorption). So technically the winner is the Tempest Trapmonkey.

I'm not particularly interested in endgame viability. Just a fun build that tromps through dungeons.
    Both do reasonably well at this. I give Paletrapper the advantage though. It is a lot easier to farm Epic content on one than on a Tempest Trapmonkey. But both are able to do it

I'm still having trouble deciding between the two builds. I feel like the Pale Trapper is ultimately far more versatile due to being, well... a wizard, but I've always preferred melee classes. As such, I'm leaning towards the Tempest Trapmonkey, but I'm kind of worried that it would be far too squishy to reasonably solo dungeons past level 10 or so.
    Make both if you have space I prefer melee also but I find my Artificer and Paletrapper to be as much fun to play.

On another note, I've always preferred gishes (fighter/mage types), but they don't seem particularly worthwhile in DDO (alas, no Abjurant Champion PrC).
    Nothing says you can't make a Wizard who runs around with a Great Axe. There are a variety of ways to raise your BAB to 20 and with the combat changes you will hit just as often as a melee. Take into consideration that a 2HB is one of the better end game weapons (which you are proficient with), nothing says you can't specialize in Enchantment and use your other feats for martial proficiencies (PA, Cleave, and G. Cleave). Although people may look at you funny

And finally, play what you like. Honestly you will enjoy the game more if you enjoy what you are playing more than worrying if it can do "everything."

As i play both (Tempest trapmonkey lvl 23, Paletrapper lvl 16) here is my feedback

You can play both solo up to 20. But you will have easier time if you bring a hireling with you, especially for Elite Difficulty, or after level 10

Tempest : ideal hireling is a Fvs who can melee and heal you.
    Past level 10, you will need various weapon. As tempest, your melee attack is "lot of small attacks"
    Advantage : as ranger, search, hide & move silently are class skill and you get 6 pts per level, so you can maximize UMD, search, disable device (5 pts) and still keep open lock, hide & move silently at good level to be useful

Paletrapper : High int, so you have enough point to keep thieves skill up (but not hide/move silently).
    Ideal hireling is a cleric with divine vitality (so you get sp back)
    With a wizard, fight goes quickly : either enemy goes down fast or you goes down fast :-)
    The main difficulty, especially on a first life, is to manage your sp

Community Member

Well, I had forgotten that I purchased some TP last time around, so it turns out that I have room for both (in addition to my old, boring paladin with all the cash) on the same server, so...

I'll admit, the main reason I'm worried about making the Pale Trapper is managing SP. Well, that and spellcasting being weak in the lower levels. I just have that sinking feeling that I'll run out of SP halfway to a shrine and essentially be screwed. The TT's back up plan (plinking things with a bow) seems more viable than saving a Master's Touch scroll and turning into Elminster the Barbarian.

However, after making my TT last night and fooling around with it, I got the hankering to try something a little more different from my paladin, so now I'm leaning towards the PT build. Learning to manage SP sounds like a boring minigame, but once accomplished I think the PT build is probably going to be more fun. Wail is pretty much my favorite spell anyway in PnP and various D&D video games, so being a lich on top of that is just too much flavor to handle. Plus, it foregoes having to really invest in MS/hide due to wraith form and easy access to invisibility.

Are there any changes anyone would make to the PT build I linked? I'm somewhat skeptical of SF Enchantment but I guess Charm/Dominate are powerful tools while soloing.

Learning to manage SP sounds like a boring minigame, but once accomplished I think the PT build is probably going to be more fun. Wail is pretty much my favorite spell anyway in PnP and various D&D video games, so being a lich on top of that is just too much flavor to handle. Plus, it foregoes having to really invest in MS/hide due to wraith form and easy access to invisibility.
    Regarding spell point management, the classic new player approach to give you a buffer is to buy 3 different hirelings with divine vitality. Don't call them. Forget you even have them. But if you end up running out of mana, you can cast dimension door (to bring you back to start of quest where hirelings can be called) and summon/dismiss all 3, one after the other, using all their DVs. This can be done once every 5 minutes, and can replenish 1500+ spell points.

Are there any changes anyone would make to the PT build I linked? I'm somewhat skeptical of SF Enchantment but I guess Charm/Dominate are powerful tools while soloing.
    Charm/dominate are indeed powerful tools while soloing, but those are in there mainly for dancing ball and mass hold.

Community Member

That's... incredibly cheesy, but it sounds effective. And hey, at least there's no one in the dungeon to judge me.

When I last played, I remember hearing that arcane archers weren't very good, but now they're apparently super awesome? If I were to modify the Trapmonkey build to focus on ranged primarily with backup melee support, would that be shooting myself in the foot?

When I last played, I remember hearing that arcane archers weren't very good, but now they're apparently super awesome?
    Traditionally the problem with AAs is "what do I do while Manyshot is on cooldown?" To which the answer has generally been: switch to 10,000 Stars (if playing a "monkcher," i.e., have at least 6 monk lvls w/Zen Archery); switch to melee; switch to spellcasting (if playing a caster-based AA); keep plinking w/arrows (for significantly less DPS); or pike. That last one's not really an option for soloing, though...

The toughest part about soloing a fleshie Pale Master are the early levels, when you have low HPs, low caster DPS, low SPs, and no self-healing. Things start to improve once you get lvl 3 spells (wiz 5); and once you have PM I / zombie form, your survivability improves a lot too. By the time you have Evasion + wraith form, you've hit Easy Street (relatively speaking). Although if you don't like having to juggle a lot of temporary / short-term buffs, you might not enjoy arcanes, since at any given time you may be running with Displacement, Haste, Stoneskin, energy protection, etc.

The toughest part about soloing a ranger is they have no CC or AoE DPS abilities (apart from Imp Prec Shot + Manyshot), which makes fighting mobs more challenging as you level. Also, their self-healing is kinda middle-of-the-road among melee classes: better than rogs, barbs, and ftrs for obvious reasons; but not as good as pallies or bards.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Quote Originally Posted by Fleckislaupir View Post
    The toughest part about soloing a ranger is they have no CC
    A pair of ML12 elemental khopeshes of water (ML10 w/masterful) shores up that weakness nicely.

When I last played, I remember hearing that arcane archers weren't very good, but now they're apparently super awesome? If I were to modify the Trapmonkey build to focus on ranged primarily with backup melee support, would that be shooting myself in the foot?
    It's the Monkchters (Sp?) that are extremely awesome and that is for a few reasons. A) 10k stars works better than the coders were hoping. So now between MS, you run 10k stars; you are golden once your Wisdom is high enough. B) ED's have basically made up for any weakness a build may of had. In AA's case, their DPS has smoothed out A LOT. No more peaks and valleys. C) The 12 monk in the build makes your weapon +1[w] which is huge.

It has all added up to making AA's (This version) viable at the end game. Current reports though say it will be dead once the enhancement overpass happens unless changes are made between alpha and beta testing.

Just to help you out...
    12 Monk (Earth Stance, Dark Monk)
    6 Ranger (Free archer feats)
    2 Fighter (two free martial feats)
    Rogue Dilly (Free SA damage in groups)

So you would need access to Monk and Half-Elf (32 point build doesn't hurt either).

Community Member

1) Are khopeshes really worth the feat? They're only one average damage over scimitars, and there are plenty of other feats I could see myself taking, which leads me to...

2) If the TT is generally lacking in AoE damage to deal with large groups of enemies, would it be worth taking Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave? I'm assuming cleave doesn't proc offhand attacks while dual wielding, but stacking a ton of elemental damage effects on the MH weapon and spamming cleave still seems like a reasonable answer to hordes of mooks combined with softening them up with Manyshot from afar.

1) Are khopeshes really worth the feat? They're only one average damage over scimitars
    Yes, because of the crit profile. Assuming improved critical: slashing, every 20 swings a scimitar gets 6 "extra hits" while a khopesh gets 8.

Besides which, water khopeshes are just that good.

If the TT is generally lacking in AoE damage to deal with large groups of enemies, would it be worth taking Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave? I'm assuming cleave doesn't proc offhand attacks while dual wielding, but stacking a ton of elemental damage effects on the MH weapon and spamming cleave still seems like a reasonable answer to hordes of mooks combined with softening them up with Manyshot from afar.
    Sure, cleave / great cleave is fine. There isn't a ton else to take, to be honest. Assuming human (for the healing amp, skills and feat) you get 11 feats. Here's what I would recommend:

1: Toughness
    1H: Dodge
    3: Mobility
    4F: Exotic Prof: Khopesh
    6: Spring Attack
    9: Improved Crit
    12: Empower Healing Spell
    15: Power Attack
    18: Two Weapon Defense
    21:
    24:

The 21 & 24 feats are player's choice; cleave and great cleave would work well. For mine I went with combat expertise and whirlwind attack just because I'd already spent 3 feats on spring attack so I figured I'd give it a shot. Sadly, whirlwind attack sucks hard. It's not worth a single feat, much less 2.

You might consider quicken if you intend to run EE. For EH and below, concentration is sufficient.

Community Member

For some reason I thought khopeshes were d8s with 18-20/x2 threat and modifier, not 19-20/x3. Yeah... those are pretty good, but I'll put off picking up the proficiency since I found a +1 lacerating warhammer of frost (or something similar; it's a really sharp hammer) at the pawn and I'll probably be using that for awhile.

Speaking of which, I'm close to level 4, and I'm struggling between going 18 Ranger/1 Fighter/1 Rogue and 18 Ranger/2 Rogue. The extra feat, hit points, and access to low level fighter enhancements seems pretty fantastic, but the 30% wand/scroll improvement from two levels of rogue (and evasion MUCH earlier) is also pretty compelling.

Things have been going smoothly so far, except that I'm noticing the weaker saves and lower AC/PRR compared to my paladin already. Losing LoH also hurts. I'd really, really like a way to shore up my low will saves, since I may or may not have died due to being held doing hard Durk's Got a Secret. In combat healing is also a concern, but I guess it will be until I get more devotion enhancements/items and at least CLW at level 10. Any suggestions?

(As an aside, dual wielding Muckbanes is SUCH a better strategy to dealing with oozes than kiting them with a returning throwing axe.)

EDIT: I don't see it anywhere on DDOwiki, but I'm assuming I lose the benefits of TWF as a ranger if I wear medium or heavy armor, right?
    Last edited by NobbyHegel; 05-21-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Speaking of which, I'm close to level 4, and I'm struggling between going 18 Ranger/1 Fighter/1 Rogue and 18 Ranger/2 Rogue. The extra feat, hit points, and access to low level fighter enhancements seems pretty fantastic, but the 30% wand/scroll improvement from two levels of rogue (and evasion MUCH earlier) is also pretty compelling.
    Wand and scroll mastery is solid, but if you build for self-healing you may end up never using a heal scroll. My ranger's stack of 100 heal scrolls goes largely untouched.

Things have been going smoothly so far, except that I'm noticing the weaker saves and lower AC/PRR compared to my paladin already. Losing LoH also hurts. I'd really, really like a way to shore up my low will saves, since I may or may not have died due to being held doing hard Durk's Got a Secret.
    Low will saves is the price of admission for a tempest trapmonkey. There isn't much to be done about it outside of accepting the limitation and adjusting your play accordingly.

Hold spells become irrelevant when you get freedom of movement, so at least that issue isn't permanent. You can umd protection of evil to make yourself immune to command; you'll learn to hate command until you get a way to give yourself protection from evil. The only real issue will be dancing ball; there is no defense for it outside of will saves and spell resistance -- neither of which you will have -- so that will be a glaring weakness. Fortunately mobs don't general cast dball outside of yugoloths and maybe nighthags, so it's not a huge issue.

In combat healing is also a concern, but I guess it will be until I get more devotion enhancements/items and at least CLW at level 10. Any suggestions?
    Cure serious wounds pots along with cure wands, the strongest wands you can use. They are on separate cooldowns, so you can alternate between pot and wand until fully healed. This is obviously not a great tactic while actually engaged in combat; more of a run away and heal up kind of situation.

You won't have in-combat healing until you get cure moderate wounds. Be sure to max your concentration and take and use empower healing spell.

At epic levels, the bulk of self-healing on my ranger comes from twisting in rejuvenation cocoon.

EDIT: I don't see it anywhere on DDOwiki, but I'm assuming I lose the benefits of TWF as a ranger if I wear medium or heavy armor, right?
    Nope; medium/heavy armor only costs you evasion.

EDIT: The biggest "quality of life" improvement switching from tempest trapmonkey to a hotd pally is immunity to level drain. I find it particularly annoying to have to use the 7:00 deathward clickies from tangleroot; none of my other alts need to. (Pally and pale master are immune, cleric has long-duration dw.)

Not saying you should switch, just pointing it out. For contrast, the biggest annoyance switching from tempest trapmonkey to paladin is having to cast combat buff every single minute. Extremely tedious.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Wand and scroll mastery is solid, but if you build for self-healing you may end up never using a heal scroll. My ranger's stack of 100 heal scrolls goes largely untouched.
    Yeah, I decided to go with the Fighter splash. Probably worthless with the enhancement pass coming later in the summer but I had planned on TRing if I made it to 20, so it's a nonissue.

Low will saves is the price of admission for a tempest trapmonkey. There isn't much to be done about it outside of accepting the limitation and adjusting your play accordingly.

Hold spells become irrelevant when you get freedom of movement, so at least that issue isn't permanent. You can umd protection of evil to make yourself immune to command; you'll learn to hate command until you get a way to give yourself protection from evil. The only real issue will be dancing ball; there is no defense for it outside of will saves and spell resistance -- neither of which you will have -- so that will be a glaring weakness. Fortunately mobs don't general cast dball outside of yugoloths and maybe nighthags, so it's not a huge issue.
    I'm pretty sure there are PfE wands, right? If not, I see clickies with them pretty frequently, and I believe there's even a couple of items with persistent PfE if it really becomes a problem.

As for SR, I actually found a belt with 13 SR. Not sure how caster levels are determined for enemies, but I think that as long as I keep upgrading the item every other level it should give me close to a base ~50% chance to negate spells entirely before saves, which brings me somewhat close to paladin levels of protection. I think.

Cure serious wounds pots along with cure wands, the strongest wands you can use. They are on separate cooldowns, so you can alternate between pot and wand until fully healed. This is obviously not a great tactic while actually engaged in combat; more of a run away and heal up kind of situation.

You won't have in-combat healing until you get cure moderate wounds. Be sure to max your concentration and take and use empower healing spell.

At epic levels, the bulk of self-healing on my ranger comes from twisting in rejuvenation cocoon.
    Thus far I've preferred using potions as my emergency "oh ****" in combat healing, since I immediately redraw my weapons after quaffing it rather than fumbling back and forth through weapon select after using a wand. I suppose with a wand I can still move (and with Expeditious Repeat + Ranger Sprint the slowdown isn't that bad) but those moments when I'm switching back to my primary weapon could be pretty meaningful. After my brush with death I decided to be a lot more proactive about topping myself off with CMW wands after fights.

Nope; medium/heavy armor only costs you evasion.
    Hm, I was planning on taking my level of fighter at character level 8, since a) I'd likely have a +2 INT tome, and this would allow me to not have to put a worthless half point into any of my skills b) I could immediately take Imp Crit with the bonus feat and c) I'm kind of rushing to ranger 6 for better spellcasting, ITWF, Manyshot, and Tempest I. But since I won't be getting Evasion until character level 11 wearing a breastplate for the additional AC and PRR until then might be worthwhile.

EDIT: The biggest "quality of life" improvement switching from tempest trapmonkey to a hotd pally is immunity to level drain. I find it particularly annoying to have to use the 7:00 deathward clickies from tangleroot; none of my other alts need to. (Pally and pale master are immune, cleric has long-duration dw.)

Not saying you should switch, just pointing it out. For contrast, the biggest annoyance switching from tempest trapmonkey to paladin is having to cast combat buff every single minute. Extremely tedious.
    Yes, having to rebuff every 60 seconds (or for someone unfamiliar with content, having to sneak around as a paladin and spending ~5 seconds buffing up before charging into combat) was tedious beyond measure and was the main reason I lost interest.

Are energy drain effects common enough to have to keep the deathward buff from the Visors up permanently? I figured the Visors were great for those situations when you absolutely have to have the buff or die, but in most cases I figured a restoration clickie or wand would suffice.

Thanks for the feedback.

As for SR, I actually found a belt with 13 SR. Not sure how caster levels are determined for enemies, but I think that as long as I keep upgrading the item every other level it should give me close to a base ~50% chance to negate spells entirely before saves, which brings me somewhat close to paladin levels of protection. I think.
    As far as I'm aware, mob spell pen checks are CR rating + d20. Meaning a CR12 mob would auto-bypass spell resistance 13. Generally speaking, spell resistance for players isn't viable past the early levels.

Are energy drain effects common enough to have to keep the deathward buff from the Visors up permanently? I figured the Visors were great for those situations when you absolutely have to have the buff or die, but in most cases I figured a restoration clickie or wand would suffice.
    Well, when you get drained for 5 levels in one shot, or more likely a rapid-fire 1-2 punch of 3 levels then 4 levels -- a restoration clickie loses its utility. Also, when level drained you lose umd which can make restoration scrolls problematic.

As a general rule I prefer 24/7 protection against both level drain and insta-kill, but it's not a requirement, no.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    As far as I'm aware, mob spell pen checks are CR rating + d20. Meaning a CR12 mob would auto-bypass spell resistance 13. Generally speaking, spell resistance for players isn't viable past the early levels.
    Well, I believe the belt is ML4, so that's generally a 35-55% protection for level appropriate CR caster mooks, which isn't bad. But if the SR bonuses on higher level gear doesn't keep up with monster CR, yeah, I could see it quickly fading in relevance. I'll abuse it while I still can, I suppose. I was hoping the combination of Evasion to avoid damage spells and SR for everything else would be impressive defenses against spells, but that would probably make the game too easy.

Well, when you get drained for 5 levels in one shot, or more likely a rapid-fire 1-2 punch of 3 levels then 4 levels -- a restoration clickie loses its utility. Also, when level drained you lose umd which can make restoration scrolls problematic.

As a general rule I prefer 24/7 protection against both level drain and insta-kill, but it's not a requirement, no.
    Good point. I was definitely planning on slotting deathblock somewhere and using deathward from the Visors as needed, but if energy drain is so prevalent it's probably worth looking for something a little less clunky than Visors. Keeping 3+ Visors in my backpack at all times annoys me on an efficiency level, but something like Death's Locket feels like it would sputter out right when I need it the most.

For deathblock, Shining Crest of St. Markus seems like a good choice for my second playthrough, since I'll be farming for Torc eventually anyway, but I don't think I'll be soloing DQ until level 20 (if at all).

DDOwiki says deathblock is available in yellow crystal form at ML12, but then says the guy who sells ML12 augments doesn't have it. Is it only available through drops, and thus incredibly expensive?

Good point. I was definitely planning on slotting deathblock somewhere and using deathward from the Visors as needed, [...] Keeping 3+ Visors in my backpack at all times annoys me on an efficiency level
    This is what I do. I think I have 5 visors, and yes, it's clunky/annoying.

Depending on how into farming you are, eveningstar commendations can be turned in for 20 minute dw pots. I believe you can also buy dw pots for motes during mabar. I have yet to bother with either approach.

I do have permanent deathblock from the cloak of night (also mabar) that gives dr 10/good and ghostly as well as deathblock. Big fan of that cloak.

DDOwiki says deathblock is available in yellow crystal form at ML12, but then says the guy who sells ML12 augments doesn't have it. Is it only available through drops, and thus incredibly expensive?
    Yep. You can also buy them from the DDO store, of course..

For the problem of deathward, after level 10+, you have hire (cleric of Fvs) who can cast deathward on you

And if you solo, even if you don't really need it, summoning a fvs/cleric hire at entrance to buff you can be useful
    And it is a backup if you have bad luck (like hold spell that last too long)

For Hold spell, FoM will help you, but for a ranger, you have it very late
    For Command, Protection from evil is the solution. Either buff ship, potion or there is a trinket with permanent Protection from Evil
    Very useful at low level where there aren't very useful trinket for a first life

As a fighter splash, beside the extra feat, it also give you proficiencies with any armor and any shield, including tower shield
    So, for some fights, you can drop your light armor and turtle up with heavy armor (and eventually shield). But do it only when there are no spellcaster and heavy melee opponent. You DON'T have to stay in light armor

Speaking of which, I'm close to level 4, and I'm struggling between going 18 Ranger/1 Fighter/1 Rogue and 18 Ranger/2 Rogue.
    If you're feeling adventurous, you could aim for rgr 15 / rog 3 / ftr 2: you give up Tempest III, but gain two feats (1 from ftr 2, another from dropping Tempest III pre-req), +1d6 sneak atk, and W&S Mastery I. Definitely plan that out before you shift mid-leveling, though! See this build for one example of what can be done with this level split.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast