Community Member

Default Radiance weapon suffix not working as described(?)

I play a HELF melee with rogue dilettante, so I started playing around with a radiance (random-drop holy of radiance, not GS) weapon to get sneak attack damage while soloing. I noticed that the blindness effect goes off regularly, and I do get SA damage, but the blindness effect is rarely accompanied by the 4d6 of light damage that is supposed to proc with it.

Any thoughts on why that might be (besides a bug)? Might the blindness proc on unconfirmed crits, but the light damage only on confirmed ones? Or maybe blindness procs even if mobs make their fortification check, but light damage doesn't? (Not clear why either of those would happen, since description suggests they should proc together.)

I'm running primarily epic content at this point, if that's potentially relevant.

Thanks in advance!

Community Member

Wiki says there's a save for the damage but not for the blind. That would explain, especially on Epic, why you're not ever seeing the light damage apply, since the DC is probably something pathetic like 10 or 17. It should give you a -save- flyover and the blue shield icon when the blind applies, if you can pick it out....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Wiki says there's a save for the damage but not for the blind. That would explain, especially on Epic, why you're not ever seeing the light damage apply, since the DC is probably something pathetic like 10 or 17. It should give you a -save- flyover and the blue shield icon when the blind applies, if you can pick it out....
    Thanks, that could be it. Wiki (which is often wrong in my experience anyway) doesn't exactly say that the light damage gets a save, it says:

"This Weapon is imbued with a brilliant radiant power that deals an additional 4d6 points of light damage and blinds the target on a successful critical hit.
    No save against blindness effect."

The 'no save' comment does suggest that the light damage DOES have one, but neither save is remotely suggested by the actual item description, which says simply, "on a successful critical hit." Too bad, it could be a pretty nice weapon with the damage. If it is a save in the range you suggest, it has absolutely no business being an epic-only effect (sort of like Nightmare!).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
    "This Weapon is imbued with a brilliant radiant power that deals an additional 4d6 points of light damage and blinds the target on a successful critical hit. No save against blindness effect."
    There's two ways of interpreting that:

1: This Weapon ... (deals an additional 4d6 points of light damage and blinds the target) on a successful critical hit.

2: This Weapon ... (deals an additional 4d6 points of light damage) and (blinds the target on a successful critical hit).

Number 2 would mean that you do the 4d6 on every hit, whether or not it was a crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
    The 'no save' comment does suggest that the light damage DOES have one
    Because I've never heard of additional weapon damage having a save but have heard of blindness effects having a save, I'd interpret it as, "Unlike most blindness effects, there is no save against this one," and I wouldn't think it suggested anything about the additional light damage.

Community Member

I agree, the grammar in that item description is miserable. I originally took the 'no save on blindness effect' to mean what you thought, but quickly saw it working otherwise. I still think your interpretation is the most consistent with the wording.

Off the top of my head, the only other item that has a save against an effect like this is Nightmare (the will save against force damage), but that's clearly spelled out on Nightmare items.

So, is Radiance WAI? If a dev happens across this, I'd love a definitive answer.

Thanks!