Thread: MOAR Trolls !

Community Member

Default MOAR Trolls !

With the removal of the Neg rep system it seems there are more trolls than ever these days.

I dont mean the posters that are direct or blunt in putting their point accross - those have always been around.

I mean the new ones who deliberately post comments that are likely to offend.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mantrax (WF Wizard): Soultrax (WF FvS)
    Nannabot (Cleric): Sunsetscharm (Cleric)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantrax View Post
    With the removal of the Neg rep system it seems there are more trolls than ever these days.

I dont mean the posters that are direct or blunt in putting their point accross - those have always been around.

I mean the new ones who deliberately post comments that are likely to offend.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    I think that has more to do with a Dilution effect. Probably there are about the same number as before... but the amount of other Posters has deteriorated for some reason in the last couple of weeks...
    kruemeli - Orien. Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits
    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...ld-Name-Change
    It's OK to be "merry":
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kruemeli View Post
    but the amount of other Posters has deteriorated for some reason in the last couple of weeks...
    I can't for the life of me imagine what that reason could be...

I used to be fairly active on the Forums, not to Chai/Thrudh levels, but active, but these days it's such a chore to log in etc that I just don't bother. I don't even visit the Forums as much as I used to and on those times when I do, I mostly just read and then go do something else.

I'm your huckleberry.

There's far less trolling that there was before but since there by far fewer posts it just seems that way.

It doesnt have anything to do with loss of the rep system. It has to do with it being much easier to crete a troll account to post from - and any action taken against it wont affect the player posting because their main account is not being used.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    It doesnt have anything to do with loss of the rep system. It has to do with it being much easier to crete a troll account to post from - and any action taken against it wont affect the player posting because their main account is not being used.
    Dude . . . it's such a pain in the arse to post that even if you make a troll-account signing out every two minutes is just such a pain. This account exists simply because my old one died in the transition.

I think we should be careful of all the trolls...as we learned from a recent thread, trolls are the most dangerous monsters in DDO. :P
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Dude . . . it's such a pain in the arse to post that even if you make a troll-account signing out every two minutes is just such a pain. This account exists simply because my old one died in the transition.
    And people still log in after reading the post they are replying to, to reply to it, to be logged back out after the reply so they have to navigate back to the thread to even see if the reply made it into the system or not.

The troll account has more to do with avoiding consequences on the main account and not for the fact that the forums log people out after a few minutes.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    And people still log in after reading the post they are replying to, to reply to it, to be logged back out after the reply so they have to navigate back to the thread to even see if the reply made it into the system or not.

The troll account has more to do with avoiding consequences on the main account and not for the fact that the forums log people out after a few minutes.

Of course as Im typing this, I have to copy before I hit reply, then log back in, hit reply again, then submit, only to be logged back out AGAIN.

I just got one question: did the reputation system discourage any trolls prior to it being removed?

I think the answer to that is going to be "no."

Honestly, I really don't personally care what my reputation is on this board. I don't think anyone had been booted from this board based on reputation (I'm relatively new here, but I haven't seen anything that says otherwise), and most trolls tent to be transient anyways. Once people get an idea as to who they are and what they are about, the trolls stop getting fed in general, and move on. I think that by the time they accumulate enough negative reputation to get booted, they'd be on their way anyways. So I don't see it being either a filter or an inhibitor of the behavior.

And while we are on the subject, I'd just like to say that anyone who makes a self-heling toon is gimping their build. Also, your loot is not your loot.

(Runs...)

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I would have thought the neg rep removal system would decrease the trolls, isn't those little red boxes proof that they are annoying people and gainin the attention they want?
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!