Community Member

Default Spitballing a melee arcane arti...

I tried to cram as much into one build as I could, tell me why it wont work

6 Arti/12 Wiz/2 Fig Human

Naked stats at 20: 20 STR/12 DEX/18 CON/24 INT/10 WIS/10 CHA with +2 tome to all. First life, additional lives add more STR and INT.

Naked, 276 HP, 1162 SP, 13 fort/7 refl/13 will (reflex, ouch, i know, no room for Insightful Reflexes)

Feats: PA, Tough, Bastard Sword, THF line, SF/GSF Evoc, Cleave/GC, Maximize, Construct Essence (for self heals), IC:Slash

Skills: Full trapping, UMD, conc/balance

Enhancements: Battle Engineer + prereqs, Archmage III+prereqs, Magic Missile/Chain Missile SLA, stats, Toughnesses, some Repair/Force/Acid spellpower and crit, some Human Vers and incoming heal

Playstyle: Bastard Sword+RA, with full THF for 50% glancing blows+extra glancing blow and Cleave/GC for some AOE and melee DPS. STR to-hit, INT for damage with Arti buff. Wizard SLAs for cheap arcane DPS, arcane buffs like Haste, Rage, Greater Heroism, Displacement, and Tensers, plus Arti buffs, and additional arcane spells for damage, mainly AoEs (Fireball), DOTs (Melfs, Burning Blood) and AoE DOTs (Acid Rain) since THF requires ground-and-pound in place.

Questions: Is 12 Wiz going to nerf my DCs too much? Am I going to be limited to mostly no-save DOTs? I ran a melee Sorc like that which worked OK, but I was hoping for a more actively "caster" build here, ie things would reliably fail saves.

Is 7 base Reflex going to toast me, on a squishy light-armor class (maybe medium, for the PRR, if I find some with enough -ASF)? I've run low-reflex chars before, but they were ranged...

Is my spell damage going to suck without being able to invest in any Spellpower lines besides Force and Repair? I can take 1 tier of Acid spellpower/crit/crit mult for acid DOTs, but other than that its going to just be from gear, I cant max out two elements or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ~droid_327 View Post
    Questions: Is 12 Wiz going to nerf my DCs too much? Am I going to be limited to mostly no-save DOTs? I ran a melee Sorc like that which worked OK, but I was hoping for a more actively "caster" build here, ie things would reliably fail saves.

Is 7 base Reflex going to toast me, on a squishy light-armor class (maybe medium, for the PRR, if I find some with enough -ASF)? I've run low-reflex chars before, but they were ranged...

Is my spell damage going to suck without being able to invest in any Spellpower lines besides Force and Repair? I can take 1 tier of Acid spellpower/crit/crit mult for acid DOTs, but other than that its going to just be from gear, I cant max out two elements or anything.
    If this is the route you want to go, don’t bother with anything that is going to need spell pen or DCs. Stick to the basics. So yeah, it’s going to be like your melee sorc, with less SP, and the ability to change-up spells to overcome elemental resistances or immunities.

If you are looking for reflex saves, armoring up is going to lead you right into ASF, which will gimp your arcane DPS. The upside is that you can go maybe elf with the build, and take Arcane Fluidity enhancements to counteract that. You’ll lose the extra feat that a human gets, and the healing amp.

And yeah, I think you’re gonna be gimped in spellforce lines. Your best bet is to invest maybe in force, which is pretty universal in dealing decent damage (magic missiles, force missiles, ice storm, blade barrier, and disintegrate). Even without maxing out stuff, you can still augment your damage ability.

I’d also like to know why you are taking repair lines. Your stated build is a human, and I’m no expert on Artis. There is no self-healing or damage dealing in that area as far as I’m aware.

If you go melee with this, my thought is maybe Sword and Board? The one thing that I see as being an issue is that you’re gonna need some damage mitigation, and the shield adds to PRR. Otherwise, maybe consider dropping Arti, add rogue, and go TWF with evasion?

Granted, I’m not someone who does multi-classing. But you’re kinda running into am issue with damage avoidance eating into your ability to cast spells. Going the rogue route with TWF, evasion, high DEX stuff will allow you to wear lighter armor, avoid a lot of ASF issues (if geared properly) and still provide semi-decent melee damage.

Again, not a big multi-class / arti kinda guy. It’d be interesting to see what other people say.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    If this is the route you want to go, don’t bother with anything that is going to need spell pen or DCs. Stick to the basics. So yeah, it’s going to be like your melee sorc, with less SP, and the ability to change-up spells to overcome elemental resistances or immunities.

If you are looking for reflex saves, armoring up is going to lead you right into ASF, which will gimp your arcane DPS. The upside is that you can go maybe elf with the build, and take Arcane Fluidity enhancements to counteract that. You’ll lose the extra feat that a human gets, and the healing amp.

And yeah, I think you’re gonna be gimped in spellforce lines. Your best bet is to invest maybe in force, which is pretty universal in dealing decent damage (magic missiles, force missiles, ice storm, blade barrier, and disintegrate). Even without maxing out stuff, you can still augment your damage ability.

I’d also like to know why you are taking repair lines. Your stated build is a human, and I’m no expert on Artis. There is no self-healing or damage dealing in that area as far as I’m aware.

If you go melee with this, my thought is maybe Sword and Board? The one thing that I see as being an issue is that you’re gonna need some damage mitigation, and the shield adds to PRR. Otherwise, maybe consider dropping Arti, add rogue, and go TWF with evasion?

Granted, I’m not someone who does multi-classing. But you’re kinda running into am issue with damage avoidance eating into your ability to cast spells. Going the rogue route with TWF, evasion, high DEX stuff will allow you to wear lighter armor, avoid a lot of ASF issues (if geared properly) and still provide semi-decent melee damage.

Again, not a big multi-class / arti kinda guy. It’d be interesting to see what other people say.
    BE gives you some -ASF, and I could get another 5-10% from gear if need be. I'd need all the feats from Human, so the only other option would of course be WF, for full Repair healing w/o needing Construct Essence feat (as I mentioned, for self-heals via repair). They have some -ASF enhancements as well, but of course dont have Versatility or STR/INT enhancements.

If I drop the arti part, though, then I might as well just start from scratch, go with a 2 monk/wiz/fighter build or something instead for a melee arcane...

to be honest, your spreading yourself too thin. from what i can see your trying to:

THF Melee with rune arm
    Arcane cast (with DC based stuff)
    Buff
    Trapsmith
    Self heal with reconstruct
    UMD for?? (usually stacking it high if for scroll usage)

I think the only things your missing is ranged DPS via manyshot and tanking.....

You would be better going a 16/2/2 Wizard/Artificer/Fighter split. Drop Construct Essence (you can UMD your healing). You will have 7 heroic feats, 1 human, 2 fighter, 2 epic and 4 Wizard feats.

Unfortunately you lose out on 9th level spells for GTHF (it could be argued to drop a figher level for a wizard to get 9th level spells as that will likely be more powerful then the GTHF feat, which you dont need to drop any other feats for because of the fighter bonus feat that drops with it as well)

Dont expect to be making EE DC's for spells. EN you can probably manage, not sure about EH.
    Shortling (20 rogue) wither others leveling. "One Dwarf Army"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthesponge View Post
    well a clown getting violated by a rabid duck may be sillier, but not by much.